VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

After Bionicle ends I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to Hero Factory. Now I know the theme is highly disliked, but the general concept of it was very nice to me. The one thing that the theme would need is an emphasis on vehicles. I loved the vehicles of the original bionicle and some of the ones in early Hero Factory so seeing them again would be nice.

After Bionicle ends I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to Hero Factory. Now I know the theme is highly disliked, but the general concept of it was very nice to me. The one thing that the theme would need is an emphasis on vehicles. I loved the vehicles of the original bionicle and some of the ones in early Hero Factory so seeing them again would be nice.

Hey maybe we'll get Slizers 2.0, Roboriders 2.0 or Throwbots 2.0 :tongue:

In all seriousness, I suspect we'll get something along the lines of Hero Factory(I seriously doubt we'll ever get Hero Factory again given how poorly it performed) that has a more futuristic vibe to it.

Edited by ToaDraco

In all seriousness, I suspect we'll get something along the lines of Hero Factory(I seriously doubt we'll ever get Hero Factory again given how poorly it performed) that has a more futuristic vibe to it.

Slizers and Throwbots are same line.

Didn't HF actually sell pretty well? That's what I've been hearing in the past few months. No real sources though… but there isn't any evidence against it either.

why would it mater weather or not bionicle ends next year or the nest twenty years? we have good sets, a good, if simple narrative, a load of new constraction parts,and even more recolors. we should enjoy what we have, an not dread over it ending. everything ends, argueing about when that will happen wont change the fact that it will one day be over.

why would it mater weather or not bionicle ends next year or the nest twenty years? we have good sets, a good, if simple narrative, a load of new constraction parts,and even more recolors. we should enjoy what we have, an not dread over it ending. everything ends, argueing about when that will happen wont change the fact that it will one day be over.

While I fully agree we should enjoy what we have for now, I think this sort of discussion is important to see whether BIONICLE just can't capture kids these days as it did to us or if there's more that LEGO could have done.

Personally, I sit somewhere in the middle. As mentioned in the story discussion, action figures have decreased in popularity in the last years (unless they're tied to a cartoon series or Skylander-style figures, I guess), and with so many "popular" themes like Ninjago and Nexo Knights, it's kinda hard to compete. However, one has to admit most story material requiring either an online purchase* or an online login, there isn't much chance for kids to explore and become invested in this new world even if they fleshed it out.

* (at least in my country; I don't know if the books and graphic novels are physically available elsewhere)

I also liked the concept; it was the execution that bugged me. If they keep a more rotating (and perhaps expanding) cast and actually conclude the plot threads and cliffhangers, I'll be all for it.

Not treating infanticide (Evo's Breakout storyline) and mass extinction (Invasion from Below) as heroic deeds would also be very appreciated.

While I fully agree we should enjoy what we have for now, I think this sort of discussion is important to see whether BIONICLE just can't capture kids these days as it did to us or if there's more that LEGO could have done.

Personally, I sit somewhere in the middle. As mentioned in the story discussion, action figures have decreased in popularity in the last years (unless they're tied to a cartoon series or Skylander-style figures, I guess), and with so many "popular" themes like Ninjago and Nexo Knights, it's kinda hard to compete. However, one has to admit most story material requiring either an online purchase* or an online login, there isn't much chance for kids to explore and become invested in this new world even if they fleshed it out.

* (at least in my country; I don't know if the books and graphic novels are physically available elsewhere)

I also liked the concept; it was the execution that bugged me. If they keep a more rotating (and perhaps expanding) cast and actually conclude the plot threads and cliffhangers, I'll be all for it.

Not treating infanticide (Evo's Breakout storyline) and mass extinction (Invasion from Below) as heroic deeds would also be very appreciated.

Same here, Hero Factory had a lot of great things going for it. It just was incredibly poorly executed and squandered its potential. (I actually expected a rotating cast when Hero Factory first came out ala Power Rangers.)

I'm honestly starting to think Lego should just drop the action figure line all together, except maybe for licensed ones. They keep handling it poorly, and it's hard to get invested in something that only stays around for a short time.

Edited by Hisstori

I'm honestly starting to think Lego should just drop the action figure line all together, except maybe for licensed ones. They keep handling it poorly, and it's hard to get invested in something that only stays around for a short time.

As I mentioned above, three years is a long time by the general standards of LEGO System. Ninjago is the exception that proves the rule.

Heck, Hero Factory stayed around for five years. The last time a constraction theme lasted a single year was Roboriders, way back in 2000.

I feel that three years is a pretty long time. Now granted there may not be much happening during those three years but its still not a short amount of time.

BS01's interviews with the LEGO team should be coming out soon according to their most recent podcast released on the 10th of June.

Hopefully the interview will be able to shed some light on how the line is doing. Also I hope that they asked questions regarding set design as that should be really fun to hear. Were people from only the Bionicle community sent there or were members from other communities sent as well.

Hopefully the interview will be able to shed some light on how the line is doing. Also I hope that they asked questions regarding set design as that should be really fun to hear. Were people from only the Bionicle community sent there or were members from other communities sent as well.

I do not think that will happen. They mentioned they were not allowed to disclose some of the details shared with them by the lego team. Pretty sure we'll have to see what happens in the coming months.

I do not think that will happen. They mentioned they were not allowed to disclose some of the details shared with them by the lego team. Pretty sure we'll have to see what happens in the coming months.

Is that the case? That's surprising... I had been under the impression that ambassadors were no longer allowed to participate in NDAs. I guess they reversed that decision?

Is that the case? That's surprising... I had been under the impression that ambassadors were no longer allowed to participate in NDAs. I guess they reversed that decision?

True- but I'm assuming a trip to LEGO HQ would be a concern that would supersede such a rule?

Well I bought Pohatu 2016 today and I really like him. I never minded the fact that he had multiple shades of brown. I always saw the design as if he had come from some wasteland. A world where its every man for himself and he's just getting by. He's a really fun figure and his staff weapon thingy is really cool to mess with. Seeing as he is the third of my 2016 toa collection he really fits in with Kopaka and Tahu. I really like how he is still a short toa by comparison. His build was straight froward but still different enough that I ended up enjoying it. I can't wait for what the rest of 2016's sets have in store.

Also if anyone is curious Lego Shop at home has the entire winter wave on sale as well as last years summer sets on sale. Also Umarak and Ekimu are back in stock. The toa are $5 dollars off while the creatures are $2 off.

The interviews didn't have anything to do with NDAs as far as I know, LEGO just wants to vet the transcripts/recordings to make extra sure no confidential information was released =)

Hopefully I'll be able to get some of the interviews out this week, but my day job has been keeping me far more busy than should be allowed. Bleh. Working on them!

So, mildly unrelated, but at Billund I was able to snap a few pics of the model they used for the Shadow Spawn, the Umarak/Onua combiner you see in JTO. They said they won't be releasing instructions, so I used the pictures as reference to create my own instructions. I didn't get too many pics, so I'm not sure if the instructions are 100% accurate, so if anybody can spot some inconsistencies, let me know!

So, mildly unrelated, but at Billund I was able to snap a few pics of the model they used for the Shadow Spawn, the Umarak/Onua combiner you see in JTO. They said they won't be releasing instructions, so I used the pictures as reference to create my own instructions. I didn't get too many pics, so I'm not sure if the instructions are 100% accurate, so if anybody can spot some inconsistencies, let me know!

Wow! That torso has a lot more going on in it than I though that it would. its unfortunate that they won't be releasing the instructions for him. Thank you for making those instructions for the community.

Other than the fact that you forgot the red spikes on the 5m shells on the lower legs. That looks extremely accurate to the spawn in the show.

Still no sign of any Summer 2016 sets in my local Wal-Mart. That's okay, I might as well order via Lego.com anyways. Need to get them VIP points!

Hey guys! The overall opinion of G2 Bionicle across the fanbase is rather divided, so I thought it'd be interesting to make a Strawpoll to try and gauge what people from multiple communities (Facebook, Eurobricks, BZPower, The TTV Forums, Flickr) feel about the line. The poll is as displayed;

e80a16dabde2156b59440c5efe583efc.png

To submit your answer, click here. If you don't wish to answer (or already have) and wish to view the results, click here.

Once you've answered, please feel free to share the poll elsewhere to help get a larger sample size. Thanks!

I enjoy what G2 has to offer with the sets. In my opinion they are overall better than most of G1's sets. To me the story needs to have better execution behind it. Releasing an encyclopedia with background information would help fill in some plot holes about the skull villains. Although I really do like the ideas behind some of these decisions.

Edited by MrHerofan