VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

Man that's ugly. The blended headpiece is pretty nice though, the colors play off each other really well even if the opaque purple doesn't really go with the rest. It looks almost lilac here compared to the deeper translucent version.

Edited by WARHEAD

There is no enough friction, i think. I would like it more if he had teo right arms for both sides of gearbox.

There is friction based on the pictures, but it manifests itself in the form of a measly single blue pin and gear. I imagine that isn't enough to support the function?

I can't be the only one here that thinks Purple and lime green are one of the worst color combinations.

I can't be the only one here that thinks Purple and lime green are one of the worst color combinations.

I actually really like the color combination. It's just a shame the overall figure is a dissapointment.

The colors are pretty neat. But the figure is really lacking on the whole. His right arm has a kind of Bruizeritis effect to it, but not nearly as bad fortunately. It's not that bulky at all, while the thick arm, thick shoulder and lime blades really go together well on the box picture… they took just the right angle for that.

That beast looks pretty bad...

It's painful to see this reboot having such good looking winter waves and... debatable summer waves, to put it mildly. The day we'll accept that G2 didn't do well mostly because of this, it will be a turning point for the BIONICLE community. Out of all the reasons the line may have bombed (yes, I know there are no official statements etc.) the summer waves are a #1 on the list in my opinion.

Edited by TwistLaw

I like them all....of course naturally, they didn't have as big a budget as the winter wave, so there will be gaps, but the ideas in those designs are awesome and you can really see each creature adopting a type of character to them. I love how clunky Quake Beast looks, makes sense considering he is some earthly deformed abomination. Lava Beast is stellar and has an imp-like vibe to its design. Storm Beast....is dubious, I'm not yet wholly convinced on that one. Although I love the design of the tail and mechanism....it kinda suffers from a lot of gaps. Still, even with Quake's colours, I really do like him. I get the designs, or at least I feel like I do.

That beast looks pretty bad...

It's painful to see this reboot having such good looking winter waves and... debatable summer waves, to put it mildly. The day we'll accept that G2 didn't do well mostly because of this, it will be a turning point for the BIONICLE community. Out of all the reasons the line may have bombed (yes, I know there are no official statements etc.) the summer waves are a #1 on the list in my opinion.

I wholly disagree with that statement. If the line has bombed, which we don't at all know it has, it wouldn't be because of the summer sets at all...mainly because they haven't even been released yet. They can't be detrimental to the line. Ironically, it would be those same winter sets which have contributed to the line's demise.....not that I truly believe it isn't selling well. I have a bad feeling it isn't doing well, but that's all that is, a feeling and nothing at all official. To err is human.

Edited by lambda_cla3391

Come to think of it, I wish that the Beasts had gone the route of the Creatures, where each one was modeled on a specific animal. As they stand, they feel incomplete. Not bad, mind you, but lacking the cohesion that all the other Gen2 sets, even the ones with worse designs, have had.

Come to think of it, I wish that the Beasts had gone the route of the Creatures, where each one was modeled on a specific animal. As they stand, they feel incomplete. Not bad, mind you, but lacking the cohesion that all the other Gen2 sets, even the ones with worse designs, have had.

What animals do you think they should've been modeled after? Storm Beast would've looked cool as a shark or octopus come to think of it.

What animals do you think they should've been modeled after? Storm Beast would've looked cool as a shark or octopus come to think of it.

Maybe a fusion of the creature designs? So Lava Beast could have been a winged scorpion. Storm beast a shark with claws (JawBlade) and Quake beast a mole with insect wings and appendages

Hmmm... Offhand, I'd say that Lava Beast would be cool as a lion or a stag (which the actual set does bear a passing resemblance to,) Storm Beast would work nicely as either one of your suggestions (BIONICLE is sorely lacking a Cthuluoid creature, unless I'm forgetting something) or as an eagle, and Quake Beast as a beetle or a bat.

I'm sure others can come up with a myriad of considerably cooler ideas, to wit:

Maybe a fusion of the creature designs? So Lava Beast could have been a winged scorpion. Storm beast a shark with claws (JawBlade) and Quake beast a mole with insect wings and appendages

There is friction based on the pictures, but it manifests itself in the form of a measly single blue pin and gear. I imagine that isn't enough to support the function?

While making poses right arm moves forward or back and beast falls. But this prpblem is the result of no friction joints on the feet.

I'm certain now that I'm not going to bother getting Quake Beast. There's just too many parts of the build that seem... experimental? Unfinished?

Now, the combo model may change that. Once we start seeing people build the combo model, I may decide to get all the Beasts if the combo is worth it.

I wholly disagree with that statement. If the line has bombed, which we don't at all know it has, it wouldn't be because of the summer sets at all...mainly because they haven't even been released yet.

I'm pretty sure he meant previous summer wave, which was just as awful as the current one.

I really liked the skull baddies from last year. So far I'm not sure I'm completely sold on the. Beasts. I'm definitely going to buy all of the sets though. I told myself I'm not gonna miss out on anything from G2. UTD and Ekimu+ are definitely awesome though. Those two figures I am extremely excited for.

Well they are at least a bit taller than the last years bad guys, who mainly suffered because of most of their length was pre-determined because of the bone mold.

But with these, does it really cost that much to use a bit longer bones for thighs? There's hardly any difference with the amount of plastic between the two sizes.

Big head, big torso but stubby legs, they have proportions of a child.

Edited by GK733

I think intentional to make the beasts look odd, disproportioned or ugly...they're supposed to be monsters. I mean, everyone can still hate on them, but I think because people do hate on them, the designers succeeded in portraying them in that way...obviously that might be to the detriment of this wave. I still believe they are great sets, I love the new functions (wish Lava Beast had something more interesting to offer in that respect...still his overall design is quite nice) and don't mind the colours or the odd looks of the sets. I think these are much better than the skull villains, who I still think were decent sets regardless of their flaws. Set designers are limited to what they have for these sets and they've proven that they can make the best out of what they have, so I definitely am not complaining about this wave.

Quake Beast just went from being my most-anticipated Beast to my least-anticipated. That crystal arm has no redeeming factors. Is the purple the same as on 2015 Onua?

In other news, I just visited Wal-Mart and they had Umarak, 2015 Tahu, and 2015 Onua for $9 each.

Edited by Junior Shark

In other news, I just visited Wal-Mart and they had Umarak, 2015 Tahu, and 2015 Onua for $9 each.

$9? I gotta go shopping. That's a steal at those prices.

More cache images have been added to the brickset site for a couple of the summer sets

Also, pardon my asking, does it seem odd that we have still not gotten any official reviews of the summer wave? Usually Theyre out around a month prior to release...but we're around 10 days away and still nothing other than the few who procured the sets early from TRU.

Edited by lambda_cla3391

More cache images have been added to the brickset site for a couple of the summer sets

Also, pardon my asking, does it seem odd that we have still not gotten any official reviews of the summer wave? Usually Theyre out around a month prior to release...but we're around 10 days away and still nothing other than the few who procured the sets early from TRU.

Perhaps but it's not just Bionicle. There are hardly any reviews of any of the winter sets yet and I'm getting anxious for the Marvel Superheroes ones in particular.

(BIONICLE is sorely lacking a Cthuluoid creature, unless I'm forgetting something)

Well, G1 BIONICLE had Kalmah. Not exactly a Lovecraftian guy but he was an octopus so...