VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

Might be the fact that he doesn't have the recolored mask yet but trans orange on Umarak just doesn't look as good compared to the trans green.

I'm not a fan of stickers. Any way to cover up Umarak's chest so it isn't all black? I put one of Stormer XL's purple drones on Onua and it covers the chest well. I'm out of ideas so I'd appreciate the help. Thanks.

Might be the fact that he doesn't have the recolored mask yet but trans orange on Umarak just doesn't look as good compared to the trans green.

Maybe just because he's getting too close to being skull grinder?

Nothing's gonna beat regular umarak, but I think this autumn umarak isn't half bad, good suggestion.

In way of improvement, maybe the thorns need to change to something more complimentary to the orange?

UtD looks awesome! Definitely my favorite of the winter wave. I'm really glad we're getting a true titan set in G2. The color scheme is great, the shaping is fantastic, though the neck looks bad from certain angles and lacks a whole lot of articulation. Overall though they definitely made it work. I also like the completely enclosed ribcage, though I don't know why they went with a single gun metal ribcage when they already included 3 trans neon green ribcages in the set and it would have looked better if all of his ribs were trans neon green. The only other complaint I have is the black technic connectors used on the horns, though I don't know how that could've been improved. They're just too thin and the black really breaks up the gold as the long horns are supposed to be part of the mask. I'm also surprised that the ankles have as much articulation as they do, at least the same amount a human being does.

Edited by ToaDraco

Well, Umarak looks a bit better than I thought. Mainly because his legs are longer and his hands are smaller than I thought, so he looks a bit more imposing and less brute-ish.

What I don't like is the Mask, which honestly looks...wrong, and I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe it looks too plump, compared to the original Mask of Control and the Hunter Mask. Since it's supposed to look warped anyway, I wish they went all out with the monstrous look: more pronounced teeth, bigger eyes, bigger overall size, more elongated shape, etc. All this while keeping the MoCo's main features (especially the runes, good job to the part designers for keeping them BTW). As of now it looks somewhat of a a half hearted attempt. Honestly both the base MoCo and especially the Hunter Mask look much more threatening than this.

I'm still not a fan of the tr. lime+black colour scheme. Not only is it less creative than Umarak the Hunter's, it also lacks 1-3 additional accent colours (the equivalent of UtH's dark red, dark tan and dark brown). A few gold and/or red spikes would've helped IMO.

Ok, rant over. I don't think I'll get this guy, but I can see copying some techinques from him and Uberak (UtD+Beasts) to boost my UtH, which I want to keep as the default form of the character due to how memorable he looks.

Huh... Yeah, I think I can get behind that.

UtD ain't so bad. Very monstrous. Still curious to see what he looks like as a quadruped. I just think that'd look neat.

Also really enjoying the design parallels with UtH. Like, the legs are very similarly built and share design aspects. It's neat. Definitely an evolution from the previous incarnation.

I can dig it. I'll probably be picking him up.

Hmm. Less enthused about Umarak after watching the video, but he's still may fave of the villains this wave. Definitely gonna mod him. Hard.

My thoughts on UtD haven't changed really. He's just a big imposing villain set that isn't so well finished when you start to look closer (though his overall look is very impressive). The claws are better than expected and so is his ankle movement, but the hollowness and the limited poseability of the neck irks me.

Well overall the summer wave looks just as good as last years summer wave. Seeing as how I was not a fan of the skull villains last year from photos, but ended up really liking them after getting them, makes me think that I will enjoy this wave just as much.

The beasts look alright, and I can get behind the idea of there being armies of these guys than just a couple. While they are lacking in aspects seeing as how they should be fun to mess with and to have in person makes me excited for them.

Ekimu looks generic to me. Nothing really stands out for him other than being so clear. Which I bet looks absolutely stunning in person. I can't wait to get him and just be mesmerized at how clear he is.

The only thing holding me back from Umarak is the neck and head region. I wish they could have designed the neck differently and his head looks awkward in comparison to the rest of his body. The horns could have had a better transition from the head and LEGO could have recolored that piece in gold. The figure as a whole would have looked better.

Definitely getting Umarak.

After looking at the video, my opinion on UtD has shifted from "might not buy" to a maybe. I don't like how his neck is made up of technic beams, I don't see why they didn't use CCBS elements. If I do decide to get UtD, he'll be "heavily" modified.

UtD looks brilliant. My mind has not been changed at all.

Edited by Logan McOwen

The neck and the shins are still so hilariously bad. Sweet collection of parts though. Definitely one I'm gonna grab as it inevitably reaches the clearance aisle.

After building a mock-up of UtD in LDD with my mods ideas, I'm starting to like the set more. I'm now strongly considering buying the set now.

Oh guys! If you look closely at the rozetka high-res photos of the front of the summer 16 sets, you can actually see Onua on the box of Quake Beast! He's on the far right side of the box.

http://www.rusbionic...ews-0205_41.jpg

I think I had noticed that (or at least, had noticed the other Toa on the boxes to the other Beasts). But I just now noticed for the first time how Quake Beast's blades are actually piercing through the header (with the Bionicle logo and Mask of Control) and coming out on the top of the box! That's kind of a neat touch.

I think I had noticed that (or at least, had noticed the other Toa on the boxes to the other Beasts). But I just now noticed for the first time how Quake Beast's blades are actually piercing through the header (with the Bionicle logo and Mask of Control) and coming out on the top of the box! That's kind of a neat touch.

I had noticed that they sort of cut off around where the header was but I never realized that they pierced right through! Clever packaging design, and a creative way to tackle the problem of how to keep the set image close to "actual size" without cutting out those details.

Quake Beast actually looks a lot better in the box art than it did in the pics from Toy Fair. I guess the better pose helps. I still kind of worry it doesn't pull off the asymmetric look and function quite as well as Bruizer did back in 2013. And it's a bit peculiar that the crystals on the chest pattern are more pink/magenta than purple.

After building a mock-up of UtD in LDD with my mods ideas, I'm starting to like the set more. I'm now strongly considering buying the set now.

I've done some mods to UTD and the other beasts in LDD as well. I may also get UTD and apply my mods. But I'd need a second black big chestplate

Oh wow. :wub: Say what you will about the set designs, the box designs are above all scrutiny. :grin:

I dunno, some people are still pretty cheesed off by the fact that they're boxes at all rather than canisters. I don't think there's anything that would change their minds about that. :tongue:

That is an incredible box design indeed. Shame it's better than the set, but I don't hate Quake Beast or anything.

Quake Beast actually looks a lot better in the box art than it did in the pics from Toy Fair. I guess the better pose helps. I still kind of worry it doesn't pull off the asymmetric look and function quite as well as Bruizer did back in 2013. And it's a bit peculiar that the crystals on the chest pattern are more pink/magenta than purple.

Wow wow wow nothing can be worse than Bruizer :tongue: But seriously, Quake actually has a decent arm design that is actually poseable, with bones and everything, while also having a function.

the bionicle logo has runes in them!

Just checked back again and the logo has had that since its return in 2015.

Bleh. I might be alone in this thinking, but I do not like Umarak 2.0. At all. He seems kind of unfinished... he looks good at first glance, and then you see the neck... and the face :sick:... and the legs. :sadnew: I can't get behind this guy. If his head didn't use black connectors with holes in them as part of a solid gold mask... maybe... but right now Quake Beast is the only set of these that I actually want. :sceptic:

I dunno, some people are still pretty cheesed off by the fact that they're boxes at all rather than canisters. I don't think there's anything that would change their minds about that. :tongue:

I personally dislike the fact there's no plastic on them, but it's cheaper so I don't really need to complain about it.

It's the shape that I don't like, they should be less wide and have more depth instead

I've also thought that having the golden mask/special part outside the box would be a neat idea.

I'd like boxes that have more depth too, but I'm not a fan of having parts outside of the box. They can get damaged easily and little kids probably can't help it messing around with every single one of them that's on the shelf. When buying the SW planet sets I always had to pick very carefully. Well, that's back when I still bought sets in store.