VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

So anyone knows when the sets are officially released? I've been out of the loop for a while and thought that the sets would be coming in August like last year but seeing as there is a review already I assume that is not the case(?). They come out this month or something?

Official info so far is that Ekimu + beasts are due to release in June and Umarak in July.

That is, if Toy Fair info is anything to go by.

Am I the only one who likes Lava Beast even less after seeing this video? :sceptic:

Am I the only one who likes Lava Beast even less after seeing this video? :sceptic:

Admittedly, I hate his legs even more after watching the video. But for the most part, I dig him more.

I didn't really like the look of the legs initially and I still don't like them too much, but I'm getting used to them. I just hope they don't constantly pop out when you try to move them. Seriously, who thought that design would be durable enough? Same goes for his shoulder build, though that seemed to stay together quite well in the video (though the joints were used for a short period of time so I can't really tell).

Seriously, who thought that design would be durable enough?

It's especially ironic considering the Lava Beast is described as having a:

Sturdy design for intense crash-and-bash play.
Edited by Junior Shark

[/i]

No way is that possible haha i mean regarding durability...

Edited by lambda_cla3391

Official info so far is that Ekimu + beasts are due to release in June and Umarak in July.

That is, if Toy Fair info is anything to go by.

Thanks. That seems like a weird release schedule. It's strange they decide to release Umarak 1 month later. Is there any reason for this?

He's alright. But not a priority.

Really my only issue is the legs... Yeesh. But overall, he's nothing too special either.

That jaw kinda sucks too. I'd rather he (heck, all the beasts for that matter) could close his mouth. Ditch the mask-pop-off feature entirely and give me snappy jaws!

You can have closing jaws if you took out the eye stalk. The Eyestalk isn't really necessary since the beasts have trans green heads. Destroyerak is the only exception as he has red eyes.

Watched the review. It's a good review, but that set is just... :sick: He looks like a plucked chicken that's been set on fire, and he's too short to have any menace to him. Makes even Pohatu look good... :facepalm:

[/i]

Yeah I noticed that too in the descriptions. It's just that they basically say that in every Bionicle product description since 2015. Something along the lines of 'a sturdy and durable design for intense action play'. Could that be Lego trying to explain to possible G1 buyers, who haven't followed HF, G2 and CCBS, that the whole brittle (lime) socket issue is over now?

Watched the review. It's a good review, but that set is just... :sick: He looks like a plucked chicken that's been set on fire, and he's too short to have any menace to him. Makes even Pohatu look good... :facepalm:

Well, both he and Pohatu look really good to me :sweet: but I'm beginning to see that chicken motif more clearly now :look:

You can have closing jaws if you took out the eye stalk. The Eyestalk isn't really necessary since the beasts have trans green heads. Destroyerak is the only exception as he has red eyes.

Sure that's a possibility, but you still won't be able to keep it shut. :/

I want the option of displaying the Beasts with closed mouths. Y'know, so they're not all just standing there gawking at whatever.

Sure that's a possibility, but you still won't be able to keep it shut. :/

I want the option of displaying the Beasts with closed mouths. Y'know, so they're not all just standing there gawking at whatever.

Just attach one of these to each side of the head then attach the jaws. It'll give some friction

http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=18651&idColor=11#T=C&C=11

So after only having Ikir and Umarak all year I got Tahu yesterday. Then I got Gali and Akida today. I think I'm snowballing. CCBS kits take up a ton of space too.

My "Master" Toa line up, and the glorious Hunter and Mask Maker (with the mask of creation, by God) are on a shelf, but

My protectors are in a unsorted tub - even though they certainly merit a spot to pose in.

My skeleton army and spiders/gold masks/bear traps are a lovely bouquet sprouting from my "4625 Pink Brick Box"

The Lord of Skull Spiders is disassembled like he ought to be.

And the United Toa are... Protecting Helms Deep.

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

The trans lime G2 head is glorious. Lava Beast ain't so bad either.

Edited by Logan McOwen

Ekimu!

Awesome! You know, I was originally let down by Ekimu's new build because it felt so obvious and didn't make use of many new parts in interesting ways and the color scheme felt unbalanced but I gotta say, with the new cg pictures from tru and this review, I'm converted completely. What a glorious looking set. I really like how the pauldrons are angled and the trans blue really pops. The color scheme looks much more balanced in the plastic for sure and although he only uses one of the new molds for the winter wave, he uses the recycled parts perfectly with a couple recolors. He's obviously G2's Takanuva at this point and I wonder what the explanation will be for his sudden growth. Edited by Leewan
No need to quote a video

The color scheme looks much more balanced in the plastic for sure

But... the set hasn't changed a bit from the pics. I mean at all. ._____.

Edited by wghost

But... the set hasn't changed a bit from the pics. I mean at all. ._____.

There's a difference between having it in hand (or seeing pics or video from someone else who has it in hand) and being limited to Toy Fair pics (often unfinalized and subject to poor lighting and presentation) and CGI renders (which even if finalized can distort the colors compared to how the sets would look under typical lighting situations or even a professional lighting setup).

However, personally I think the set comes out looking worse with the overly bright lighting in this video. The lighting here makes the transparent shells and bones look even glassier and less substantial than they do in the CGI pics. All in all, I don't think this video is necessarily the best in terms of showing how the set would look under normal lighting.

Well, it just surprises me because the set's two primary colors are well-known and nothing new - even with the added CGI, you could easily measure how they will look like in set form. (Btw I'm not sure how such subtle things can make that much of a difference, but opinions may differ.)

There's a difference between having it in hand (or seeing pics or video from someone else who has it in hand) and being limited to Toy Fair pics (often unfinalized and subject to poor lighting and presentation) and CGI renders (which even if finalized can distort the colors compared to how the sets would look under typical lighting situations or even a professional lighting setup).

However, personally I think the set comes out looking worse with the overly bright lighting in this video. The lighting here makes the transparent shells and bones look even glassier and less substantial than they do in the CGI pics. All in all, I don't think this video is necessarily the best in terms of showing how the set would look under normal lighting.

I don't think it's necessarily bad. But it does make him look glassy and naked. He's like dr. Manhattan, even in the naked way.

Not sure how to word this but -

you guys should be able to get these at the same time the new SW wave, which is about now, because they are all currently being.. produced, shipments, what not. Where did this guy get these?