VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

Purchased Uxar, Lewa, Kopaka & Melum, and Umarak off of Amazon just now as my first round. After adding Uxar to my shopping cart I was shown a list of "Other people who bought this also bought:", organized by popularity. Amusingly, the last two on the list were Pohatu and Ketar.

I'm not completely dismissing his thoughts. Perhaps my knack for being outwardly opinionated is my "Achilles heel". Even then, I believe it important that it's known that I disagree with the majority of the criticism these sets have received.

Then again maybe I hold a grudge after he claimed that my thoughts on Tahu were invalid because he "had the set in hand". I admit my remark was childish, but my grudge is satisfied nonetheless. Acting like having the set in hand dismisses any point a person has for why they think a set is good just isn't right. It shouldn't be done.

I'm not completely dismissing his thoughts. Perhaps my knack for being outwardly opinionated is my "Achilles heel". Even then, I believe it important that it's known that I disagree with the majority of the criticism these sets have received.

Then again maybe I hold a grudge after he claimed that my thoughts on Tahu were invalid because he "had the set in hand". I admit my remark was childish, but my grudge is satisfied nonetheless. Acting like having the set in hand dismisses any point a person has for why they think a set is good just isn't right. It shouldn't be done.

I think the primary problem when people judge the sets based on official pictures alone is Lego's fault. It's become pretty traditional to give the sets a frontal pose so their depth can be interpreted wrong.

Even having some of the sets in hand, I can't decide how I feel. They're not bad but they're not good either.

One thing I will say, though: I don't find them very fun to mess around with. Like, building and stuff. I forgot how much more difficult it is to remove pins and axles than it is to pop off CCBS shells and other balljoint-related parts. I tried rearranging some of Kopaka's armor bits and detaching and re-attaching the piece of unity just wasn't as enjoyable as pooping off the shells. I like the quick and simple that CCBS offers.

But that's all about the build. The final designs aren't bad, and I think they look fairly decent (heck, even the torso piece is growing on me). I'm just hesitant to take them apart since it won't be a quick endeavor to reassemble them.

I Picked up all the new sets on friday as soon as the lego shop opened (and bionicles aside 30+ people bought the ghostbusters set in the first hour). I have been playing with them since and I think I really enjoy them. I can understand what peoples complaints are about limb length and odd designs but im quite impressed. My personal complaints are the toa look awesome combined but its really hard to play with combined imho. Umrak is an absolute gem, I loved him straight away when i saw a tiny grained pictured and hes great to have in hand...that trap armor :wub: . I have notices my main gripe is the toa hands for the staff sets, i want to be able to move the hand position along the staff/hammer but you cant so I'd really like to see a hollow hand piece for better flexiability.

I think Lewa's arms are a pretty nice design. Perhaps not the optimal design for posability, but it certainly gives me ideas for MOCs and it's nice to see something so creative yet not as clunky-looking as Kopaka's upper arms. I don't yet have Lewa, but I built his shoulder and leg designs shortly after we first got clear pictures. I certainly wouldn't want to see this construction on EVERY Toa, but on Lewa I think it's pretty neat.

Perhaps what could be ideal would be to construct the shoulder joint itself more like Kopaka's shoulders (with a ball cup on the torso and a Hordika neck on the arm), but leave the overall upper arm construction the same, if that makes any sense.

Question. Is Uxar the best creature to go along with Umarak? Found the sets way earlier than I expected them being released down here and I'm getting Umarak for sure, but the creatures are a bit cheaper than I thought (in my currency at least) and I might pick one up to go with him.

Question. Is Uxar the best creature to go along with Umarak? Found the sets way earlier than I expected them being released down here and I'm getting Umarak for sure, but the creatures are a bit cheaper than I thought (in my currency at least) and I might pick one up to go with him.

Yes! Adds the most personality and meshes best with his color scheme.

I'd still vote for Ikir because you can't argue with flaming wings of death.

Speaking of Umarak, opened him up today. He's pretty cool and fun to mess around with. Love the colors and super happy you're able to raise the shoulders a module. Plenty of room in there, and it makes the figure look sooooo much better.

I'll be writing my own review of the entire wave, but I want to own them all before I tear into them like I did Gali.

I will try to be more constructive when I do it. I mean, assuming anyone cares at that point, but it's as much to gather my own thoughts as it is to talk with other people, so. =)

Lewa and Umarak came in today.

The new 2016 torso shell looks better in hand that it does in pictures, IMO. Umarak is nothing but awesome.

As with every set I get, I modified them to my liking:

Pk2h1lhl.jpg

x2UcLzSl.jpg

*snip*

Can I see more pictures of your Umarak mod. And could I borrow that leg design for when I mod my Umarak?

Edited by Leewan
No need to quote a picture from a post just above yours

Can I see more pictures of your Umarak mod. And could I borrow that leg design for when I mod my Umarak?

With the exception of the raised shoulders, bow, and lower legs, he's pretty much stock build.

Here's the LDD mock-up I did which has the mods I've done.

The waist function on my kopaka squeaks whenever it turns,is this normal?

Same with mine. I figure it's just some extra tightness that'll go away as it's used and worn down a bit.

And welcome to Eurobricks! Enjoy your stay!

DOTM Shockwave, your Lewa looks great! Funny how a small change can make him look so much better (which is saying something since I liked Lewa to begin with).

Edited by Kalhiki

Sorry for the double-post, but I just noticed something:

The Nuva symbol on Pohatu's chest is wrong. The lower horizontal line needs a smaller vertical line in the lower right corner.

You... You don't realize how much this bothers me. I really like Pohatu, but this really messes my Lego OCD.

Sorry for the double-post, but I just noticed something:

The Nuva symbol on Pohatu's chest is wrong. The lower horizontal line needs a smaller vertical line in the lower right corner.

You... You don't realize how much this bothers me. I really like Pohatu, but this really messes my Lego OCD.

You're right! Thankfully the mistake is only on his chest, though. You can probably fix it with some brown paint... I guess. At least the molded version on his mask is correct!

DOTM Shockwave, great work on Umarak! From long time I thought what to do with his legs, without set it hard to find good solution, but your idea is very good, maybe I will do something similar. I just order some new Bio sets include Umarak from lego shop. And I'm sure I will made many modifications to them.

i noticed there are several errors with the nuva symbols on all toa. off the top of my head Gali's nuva Symbol is upside down on her mask while lewa is missing a big block on the bottom.

Kopaka's mask has the symbol pretty spot on, compared to Gali's and Lewa's like you mentioned.

Lewa and Umarak came in today.

The new 2016 torso shell looks better in hand that it does in pictures, IMO. Umarak is nothing but awesome.

As with every set I get, I modified them to my liking:

I really like your changes. I hope you show the rest if/when you do them!