VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

Umm... does this not look incredibly fake to anyone else? It still uses the MoCr banner instead of the MoCo, the atual MoCr on the front looks like a photo of the physical piece, and the bag uses a weird cgi render of Tahu with the cloth cut and pasted over the top....

Keep in mind that this year's Hero Pack still used the prototype Mask of Creation that we had seen on the very first Bionicle 2015 leaks. These sorts of polybags seem to be cranked out well in advance, to the point where they don't necessarily get the finalized branding.

I doubt Brickset would add the image unless they had a high degree of certainty that it was legit, though I have no idea what their source for this image was.

Edited by Lyichir

Since I apparently did a horrible job of advertising it last year, BS01's review of Kopaka and Melum is up! An icky price point, but a fantastic combo model.

Thanks for the review!

Sadly I'm still not impressed now.

-Colorscheme is poorly done. Way too many colors in the same set, those colors being white, silver, gold, dark blue, trans light blue, and thanks to the dual-molded crystal and chest print even some spring green.

-Arms aren't that impressive. Since the ball of the arms sits to the side of the arms rather than the middle it makes some poses look very awkward. The overall look of the arms has grown on me, but I think it would have been better if the armor was separate from the arm.

-Mask doesn't look good. For the record I'm all for customizable masks. I want to see them become more common over the years. In the end Kopaka's new mask doesn't hit me as well as its predecessor did.

-Combo upgrade is meh. Lewa and Tahu? Functional wings. Gali? Cannons. Kopaka? Shoulders.

-Minor stuff like the poor greeble distrubion in legs, the legs in general actually, and the underwhelming gun-sheild.

-I'm also not really getting the knight vibe here. The only part of Koapka I feel goes that route would be his Vorox armor pieces and his sword. That's all I can see. The legs try to make it work, but the shins are outshined by the large crystal armor above. If they really wanted to pursue the knight look I think using the SW leg shell would have worked much better. The many colors also ruin the suit of armor look.

In the end I'm just not feeling Kopaka. His Master form gave a Greek/Roman Uber-Toa look, tall, strong, bulky but not cumbersome, I just loved him. If they really went all out with the knight look here I'm sure I would have liked it as well, but the execution just seems half-developed.

The things I like the most of the set would actually be the nice parts, the sword, and the adorable Melum. If he and Kopaka were separate I would actually choose him over his Toa. I know he is very similar to Terak, but I like to view them as buddies. He even comes with a cute hug function to greet his friend.

Edited by Dr_Chronos

Yeah, I'm not sold on Kopaka whatsoever. He's got a great appearance but his color distribution is the worst in the wave and he really suffers for it. The Metru Blue, Gold, and the light grey/red axles/blue pins in the shoulder area are really distracting. Also the Creature paws look really awkward sitting on top of the Vorox armor. I could take one or the other as far as added bulk is concerned, not both at one time. I feel the same way about Onua.

His weapons are pretty legit though, gotta say, and I love his mask design, so it's not a complete loss. Thanks for the review.

Edited by Mesonak

Since I apparently did a horrible job of advertising it last year, BS01's review of Kopaka and Melum is up! An icky price point, but a fantastic combo model.

Thanks for the review! I actually really like Kopaka. I like his colours quite a lot, the combo is nice, yeah Melum isn't that great....but it's a good thing that you can leave them combined. He's way better than Gali for me.

I'm not too keen on the price everyone assumes he'll be, although we have yet to have an official confirmation, $30 seems a bit too much for for a set that's a $15 set packed with a $10 set WITHOUT a Shadow Trap. LEGO probably has good reasons for the price though.

I suppose the number of new molds he has might also increase his price. He does have:

-Two of the new sword pieces

-Three unity pieces

-Two new masks

-Two crystal add-ons

-Two vorox armor pieces (while not old, they certainly hadn't been used in around 2-3 years)

-The new torso piece

-New hip piece

-New torso shell

-Eye stalk mold

-Annnnnd the new hilt piece the Star Wars constraction sets also use, and THAT'S ONLY KOPAKA.

Melum also has:

-One unity piece

-A new head mold

-Four trans light blue claw pieces from CHIMA (while not new, they haven't been used as much as other pieces)

-And two crystal armor add-ons,

Kopaka and Melum come with all of the new pieces (bar the ST piece) in large quantities

I like him, his coloring is questionable, but I think his design, especially those shoulders, looks top-notch and I'll be buying him along with Umarak as soon as the sets come out.

Edited by Tarvaxx

Looks like you guys will get hit with a double chill tonight, our icy duet is what I've gotten planned to release in a few hours too.

If all goes well, I should be able to bring out Pohatu tomorrow.

I actually love his mask, though. I'd have to say it's my favorite of the new Toa masks. He's also my second favorite Toa to Onua, which isn't saying a lot, but I'll explain more in the review.

Truthfully, aside from the color problems, I think Kopaka has this very... epic look to him. It could just be me loving the MoL portrayal of his character, but that's what this Kopaka's overall build and mask remind me of. I also find his shoulders to be the bees knees. XD

He's certainly my favorite of the Toa, with Lewa behind him and Tahu possibly coming after Lewa. My first purchases are definitely going to be Umarak and Kopaka.

Could someone with review copies please take photos of the new Toa (Onua aside, obviously) with their 2015 torso-armor? I'm curious as to how they look without all the misguided greebling.

Thanks for that.

I love Kopaka. Hands down my favourite Toa of 2016. (I might be biased, since I love Kopaka as a character... Heh.) His shoulder build is interesting and looks good, I love his new mask, and the Metru blue is always a plus. My only gripe with him is the gold crystal pieces on his thighs - I'll either remove them, or replace them with silver ones from Gali if I can get my hands on those pieces. It's a shame Melum is less substantial than the other creatures, but his distinct function from Terak is really cute. All in all, definitely my first 2016 buy.

Lewa's legs ended up working pretty well, I will admit. The rest of him, not so much.

And the masks are cool so far!

Shame about the ev-er, anyways, I'm trying to be positive!

I love your photos. This and the Lewa review really do a good job of showcasing these figures, and they look so cool in them.

Wow. MMvsSG was $30 and bumped to $40 over here, Kopaka and Melum is $25 and has been bumped up to $40. :thumbdown:

On a lighter note, the set descriptions for Onua and Umarak seem to think that a "BIONICLE head" is a feature to be proud of. :laugh:

Just found Kopaka and Melum on Shop@Home and he is listed as $25 USD set... (http://shop.lego.com...uestid=17129301)

Onua and Umarak don't seem to have U.S. pages yet.

If Kopaka is only $25 then, he has just become my favorite 2016 Toa :)

So he is indeed $25! That makes the Winter 2016 wave officially the same price as the Winter 2015 wave, which pleases me. That's actually a very good price for the duo then.

UK prices for Onua, Kopaka+Melum and Umarak are now known as well thanks to S@H. I can definitely agree with the Unity set's price, plus Umarak's only £14.99... :cry_happy:

Now I have to wonder if the small Toa and Creature's UK prices can be found by URL hopping since they're not showing up on S@H listings, but I think they'll be £12.99 and £9.99 respectively like last year. Though I wish LEGO would stop this USD=GBP silliness, the price points would have been better at £11.99 and £7.99 for the medium and small sets respectively :hmpf_bad:

Also, don't know if anybody's mentioned this yet (and maybe this would be better for the story topic...?) but the instruction booklets advertise another app, with the Mask of Control on it. Probably another f2p beat em up of some kind, but we'll see.

In other news, expect a review soon~

UK prices for Onua, Kopaka+Melum and Umarak are now known as well thanks to S@H. I can definitely agree with the Unity set's price, plus Umarak's only £14.99... :cry_happy:

Now I have to wonder if the small Toa and Creature's UK prices can be found by URL hopping since they're not showing up on S@H listings, but I think they'll be £12.99 and £9.99 respectively like last year. Though I wish LEGO would stop this USD=GBP silliness, the price points would have been better at £11.99 and £7.99 for the medium and small sets respectively :hmpf_bad:

Yup I agree with all you're saying, but at least the top ones are priced well enough. Umarak definitely seems worth fifteen quid.

Also, don't know if anybody's mentioned this yet (and maybe this would be better for the story topic...?) but the instruction booklets advertise another app, with the Mask of Control on it. Probably another f2p beat em up of some kind, but we'll see.

In other news, expect a review soon~

Could it be the the same app we already have? Most game apps are known to change icons with large updates so the app icon changing from the Mask of Creation to the Mask of Control isn't entirely out of question. Certainly would make more sense to update the existing app than create a new one.

Could it be the the same app we already have? Most game apps are known to change icons with large updates so the app icon changing from the Mask of Creation to the Mask of Control isn't entirely out of question. Certainly would make more sense to update the existing app than create a new one.

I would expect it to be a new one, mainly because LEGO Ninjago has gotten a brand-new app each year (sometimes multiple new apps a year). Also, the actual name of the current app is LEGO® BIONICLE® Mask Of Creation, so changing the symbol to a different mask but leaving the name the same would be quite odd.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5820/23140996134_3d68506291_b.jpg

Looks like somebody found some 2016 sets in stores.

Edit: Added link, hopefully. Pain on mobile.

@Dorek. Too bad this looks like a lego store and my closest is in a different state. ._. Wait, think I said that before. My luck is never changing.

Edited by MakutaOfWar

Looks like somebody found some 2016 sets in stores.

LEGO was pretty on-point with the street date this year, so not bad at all. Let the rush begin?

Edit: Also, BS01's Uxar review is up. Overall pretty good (better than Melum), although to be honest I'm expecting more from the rest of the creatures. We'll see.

Tomorrow's gonna be a two-fer.

Edited by Dorek