VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

I've wondered about that. I presume the upper half may have clips of some kind that the lower half snap onto, or maybe even an addon port (like on a shell) at the mouth for the lower half to peg onto.

The problem with these type of connections is that you couldn't connect the other half separetely at all.

I still stay with the idea that the upper part is connected via a 3-long axle trough a brainstalk and the lower part connects to the hinges.

I got the first issue of the UK Bionicle magazine today! It's mostly snippets from the first graphic novel with some little activities here and there, which is nice for kids who won't get the graphic novel I guess. Also, the Skull Scorpion freebie is kinda cute honestly!

Have I missed something story-related? Where is all this talk about a rebooted Vahi coming from?

Lego has released a trailer for the newest episodes of JtO, and Umarak is shown holding a golden fragment, which could be a part of the Vahi.

I got the first issue of the UK Bionicle magazine today! It's mostly snippets from the first graphic novel with some little activities here and there, which is nice for kids who won't get the graphic novel I guess. Also, the Skull Scorpion freebie is kinda cute honestly!

What shop did you find it in, I'm also in the UK and wondering where you can get it.

For sake of adding something my sets came in today so I can give impressions.

Storm Beast is a little bit disappointing. Though the gimmick isn't as frictionless as I thought it's still tricky to work with, and while it's cool isn't really forceful or dynamic enough for the mask game. Friction extenders on the shoulders would help.

Quake Beast is honestly pretty cool for how clumsy he is, sorta like he's mashed and stubby to the point that it's charming and interesting. Very solid all things considered.

Lava Beast is cool! When you think about it we've rarely got a set that's straight up trans orange and black, and the effect is awesome. He's probably the most intimidating of the beasts so I'd recommend him if you can't get every set.

Emimu...man I underestimated him big-time. He doesn't come with many new parts, but to call him refined is an understatement. His blue pops, he's got bulk, and he has two options of gear function. It feels strong and weighty and I can't stress enough how solid he is as a set. It's almost disgusting honestly.

What shop did you find it in, I'm also in the UK and wondering where you can get it.

I got it from here. It'll likely show up in WHSmith, Tescos and such in the next few days.

I found my copy in ASDA yesterday (strangely not in the same place as the other LEGO magazines in the magazine rack?), so I think it's safe to assume it's in all the supermarkets given it was supposed to be released for sale yesterday.

Sadly, we have to wait until 26th October to get our hands on the second issue with Ekimu's Falcon. Gosh that feels like such a long wait given it's only July at the moment :look:

So I went to Target. They had Onua and Akida marked down a few bucks each. Since I didn't have them, I got 'em.

But then I was like, "If I have these two, then all I'm missing are Terak and Gali." So I went to TRU and got them. And they're having their whole Free Bionicle deal with purchases of $40 or more, and my brother got some stuff, so I ended up getting a free Quake Beast.

So not only did I end up getting figures I had no intention of getting, but I'm also now only missing two figures from 2016 (Lava and Storm Beast). And the completest in me is telling me I might as well finish off the collection. Gosh darn it.

On the flip side, I can fiddle around and try my hand at making Akamai and Wairuha. So that'll be fun.

I ended up getting a free Quake Beast.

I really would like to know why they put QB there. Sounds really stupid considering they must still have a bunch of uniters as well, or heck even the creatures.

Well a Creature is at a lower price point as you would receive a free 15 dollar set. But yeah, why no Uniter? Are they expecting Quake Beast to be this year's Skull Scorpio?

Edited by JekPorkchops

I picked up Storm Beast and man this guy is a lot nicer in person than in photographs. I love the function, and it has a lot of creepy personality.

MUCH better than any given Uniter, that's for sure.

Since I heard about the free quake beast, I decided to go ahead and finish up the summer wave. So I'll give some thoughts on them:

Ekimu: I expected to really lIke ekimu, and I did, just not quite as much as I thought. The limbs just seem odd to me for some reason, and he's maybe just like, ()that much heavy on the trans blue, but it works well enough. Im totally down with bother new Masks he includes, and the weapons are pretty good. Not my favorite, but pretty solid all things considered.

Lava beast: this guy looks like it crawled straight out of hell, and I love it. The "wings" are slightly awkward at times, and maybe the lower legs are a little wierd, but thats all I got in terms of cons, the horns, the claws, the colors, particularly the trans black that looks like smoke, this guy is pretty good.

Storm beast: (or strom beast according to my local TRU) instantly became my favorite after building it. I know I just raved about lava, but this is like a bionicle raptor. I swear it looks so much better in hand than in pictures, as I thought it was kinda average at first. And yeah, it's got flaws, the wierd arms and claws in particular, but the function it's built around is brilliant. Major props to lego for finding new ways to make theses guys interesting. And let's not forget the colors, the dark blue and trans green work marvelously together, and the trans blue fits in nicely. Overall, this one is my favorite from the summer wave.

Quake beast: I'll admit I don't care for this one as much as the others, it's not a really bad set, it's really not, it's just not that great. I appreciate the creativity in the function, even though the way it's done is a little awkward. The sideways gearbox really doesn't bother me, although it's a little awkward in motion as the crystals on his shoulder can hit him in the head when you swing. The solid purple face is a little off putting, not quite as bad as I thought it could be, but still a kinda jarring at times. Quake beast is probably my least favorite of the summer, but he's really not bad.

Dommarak: we finally get a hefty set for g2, and I like it. He reminds me of gadunka, just with a puny head. The destroyer can be awkward to pose, and the hands are a little strange in design, although I like that they managed to squeeze a function in there. The ribcage pieces stick out a bit more than I'd like, though. the legs and torso were done pretty well, although the the bone type on his ankles limits articulation a bit. The head is pretty wierd. I feel if they recolored the jaw in gold, or just didn't use one whatsoever and made the head a little different, it could've been improved quite a bit. the technic neck doesn't bother me as much as I'd thought it would, although definitely awkward from some angles. I like this one, but I prefer the hunter.

So overall I feel the wave did pretty good, and I'm looking forward to the next as always.

Well, now that I've built Gali and Onua, I gotta say. I'm actually pretty impressed.

Wasn't really too keen on Gali at first, but after a while, she grew on me. Really love the color scheme. She's just so bright and vibrant, and I very much welcome the addition of orange.

Onua is just great all around. Not as obviously bulky as his 2015 version, but still clearly a big guy. I think my biggest issue is his neck/shoulder area which just feels a little thin.

Unity modes are cool. Gali's... I was never really a fan of to begin with as it doesn't add much to the figure. It's mainly just a hat and shoulder cannons, but other than that, there's not any real good integration of the creature. Still alright.

Onua's is great, though. Really surprised. The stock version is ugly, but since you can arrange the shoulder pads however, there're some options. I find moving the shoulder pads forward to his chest and putting Terak's claws behind them does wonders. Really bulks him out.

I gotta say, the Uniters look really good as a team, even if I feel the individuals aren't all that fantastic. They're very bright and colorful. I don't regret my purchases.

Overall, I still think Lewa may be my favorite. Then Onua and after that probably Gali. Then Tahu, Pohatu, and finally Kopaka.

So, with the reveal of MoUP Makuta in Ekimu's video, I hope the eventual set next year looks like that.

Black and Red's cool and all, but Kulta, LOSS and Lava Beast already have that covered.

I think having Makuta be his standard Gold and Purple will be a welcome change for me.

It also would easily allow for an alternate build where he's villager/protector sized.

So, with the reveal of MoUP Makuta in Ekimu's video, I hope the eventual set next year looks like that.

Black and Red's cool and all, but Kulta, LOSS and Lava Beast already have that covered.

I think having Makuta be his standard Gold and Purple will be a welcome change for me.

It also would easily allow for an alternate build where he's villager/protector sized.

Honestly, I think he should be mostly black with some trans purple and gunmetal. If we get 2 forms of him, then the purple and gold form would be alright. His ultimate form should be that of a shadow titan imo.

I personally wouldn't mind if the sets looks like the two color schemes are colliding. Almost like if his protector self is trying to fight back the Mask of Ultimate power, although I would not mind if we got a version of Makuta similar to what we saw in the newest trailer.

I ordered all four sets, received them yesterday, and decided to return my duplicate Storm Beast. Despite being part of the sale, they honored it and I got my money back for it- which essentially means I got three brand new $15 sets for $25 total. Ekimu has turned out to indeed an incredible figure; if Bionicle does indeed end and I run out of shelf space, him and Umarak (Hunter) might be the only figures I leave on display. Makes me wanna Bricklink the Falcon now...

So I was at the LEGO store at MOA today and the were pretty much almost entirely sold out of BIONICLE. When I asked one of the employees they said the BIONICLE has been selling pretty well all things considered.

But, but..! Bionicle is supposed to be doooooooomed!!!

Yeah, my friend and I got a pretty big chuckle out of that given all the doom and gloom attitudes that have been going around this forum lately.