VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

Yeah, the beast jaw definitely isn't useless. It just doesn't look good for its intended purpose :P

I've been thinking about spikey shoulder armor or even a cool outline for chest armor. Or ankle guards... Definitely has its uses.

My beef with the jaw piece is that it totally looks like and could be reversible, but isn't. It's not useless by any stretch, but in terms of its application in the sets itself, it feels really specific.

Okay definitely not useless then :wacko: wow lots of creative ideas for it I suppose. But yeah I guess my main problem with the piece stems from the use in the sets themselves.

My beef with the jaw piece is that it totally looks like and could be reversible, but isn't.

I can't really explain it in words here, but do you mean that the piece has this general shape when viewed from the left of a beast:

When it really should've looked like this but you can't pull that off:

If so, that is something that really bothers me too, as well as the fact that the piece fades away into the body and kinda 'disconnects' from the face because of the color.

This jaw gimmick is more of a flaw than function, I hate it.

While I do like the aesthetics of the jaw piece (I could see myself using the piece as armouring in some sort of rock/metal golem, the texturing is gorgeous and perfect for a golem type build imo), I just don't like how it's used in the set. Worst of all, when it's used with masks as in the sets, you cannot close the jaw without popping the mask off. And you can't simply mod the head to remove the eyestalk if you want a closing jaw, because then the way the jaw is mounted clashes with the mask, preventing the jaw from closing... or pops the mask off anyway. There's no easy mod that provides an opening and closing jaw that isn't extremely ugly, clunky or fragile, and that really gets on my nerves.

Though, if you've read my Umarak the Destroyer review on Brickset, you probably already know some of my thoughts on the jaw piece :grin:

This jaw gimmick is more of a flaw than function, I hate it.

I disagree. It makes the mask game easier and thus a lot more fun! It was a pretty ingenious idea honestly.

I disagree. It makes the mask game easier and thus a lot more fun! It was a pretty ingenious idea honestly.

If you're in to that sort of thing...

I think a snappy jaw function would've been a lot more entertaining.

I think a snappy jaw function would've been a lot more entertaining.

Depends on how you make it, but it could be dangerous for the kids.

Depends on how you make it, but it could be dangerous for the kids.

I don't quite see how? Pull a lever to open the mouth, release to snap it closed. If they even wanted to go that far. Otherwise just a lever to manually open and close it... Or something like the IFB beasts.

Just something other than the mask pop-off. It's a neat function, but I don't think it's necessary for all the figures to have it...

So I don't know if this has already been discussed but TRU has a sale going on 20% off all LEGO products and a free $14.99 sized Bionicle set with purchases of $40 or more. That's pretty sweet but I'm also concerned about what that says for the line. I'm not trying to start the doomsday talk again SO DON'T START IT BACK UP. I'm so sick of that being the only thing this topic is good for. It's depressing and counter-productive. The sale ends today so take advantage!

Edited by ToaDraco

I feel that while the jaw pop-off trigger is a neat feature, it's execution leaves a lot to be desired. The Beast masks don't really look like masks and the placements of the jaw and mask makes the head look rather odd to say the least. On top of all that the lack of poseability, a feature G2 has shown to be able to blend with function, really makes the function more of a hinderance.

2015 heavily focused on masks and it showed in it's features. Popping off masks in battle, taking control with a skull spiders, prying off masks with the skeleton hook elements, corrupted masks the villains could actually wear, etc. The real focus of 2016 is Unity, which is why the jaw function and corrupted masks feel slightly out of place this time around. I think the designers focused on applying the unity feature with the Beasts they might have been better, or at least more fitting, sets.

Though, if you've read my Umarak the Destroyer review on Brickset, you probably already know some of my thoughts on the jaw piece :grin:

That comment section gave me a skin disease.

Seriously, how can people be still butthurt about BIONICLE's existence in the year 2016 (twenty-sixteen)? How can't they be tired of saying the same things over and over again ("BIONICLE is not LEGO/is ugly" etc.)?

I'm astonished.

Seriously, how can people be still butthurt about BIONICLE's existence in the year 2016 (twenty-sixteen)? How can't they be tired of saying the same things over and over again ("BIONICLE is not LEGO/is ugly" etc.)?

I'm astonished.

Eh, plenty of people like different things. Some LEGO fans don't like Bionicle and I'm fine with that. It's like how in Drum and Bugle Corps how there are people who don't like modern DCI shows, and prefer the old days of G Bugles instead of B flat Trumpets. Or how people in tokusatsu don't like some of its series. Just a thing people in every fandom have to deal with.

Also went on to toysrus.com to find that there is currently like a deal thing of where if you spend $40 or more on LEGO you can get a free Bionicle set ($14.99 value). So if you're still missing some sets you could jump on to that deal.

I'm astonished.

I think the opinion of a lot of FOL's has improved a bit over 15 years; but there are still naysayers who dislike the line. I imagine Bionicle is quite strange for the older AFOL's who grew up with Classic Space and Fabuland.

The good news is a lot of the original Bionicle community is now becoming adults, and can articulate a response to those criticisms. Sometimes high end MOCs made by Bionicle fans surprise and change the opinions of older AFOLS who only had seen the line as an ugly <insert that tiresome argument> theme.

Ultimately though; CCBS has become just as much a part of Lego's brand as has System, Technic, and Duplo. I know the jaded fans might not take the time to realize it, but Lego has spectacular cross compatibility over their brand. My CCBS beam might look strange, but with only one modified 2x2 brick with a ball on it is all it takes for that CCBS brick to link into a System MOC.

Finally ordered my sets from S@H, very curious how they are in person. Can't wait to see how people alter and mod their sets, the beasts in particular.

I'm astonished.

Oooof those comments are dreadful. Who cares? They sound bitter to me...let them be bitter. Bionicle is fantastic.

I'm astonished.

I know what you mean, while I don't mind people disliking BIONICLE (it's their opinion, I can't force them to change their stance, though having said that I think I've made a few people convert their thinking about Constraction), it's those who shout that it's ugly or not LEGO like it's a fact that gets on my nerves. Believe me, my tongue is very sore from having to bite it all the time to avoid conflict with these types of people, since I am known to get quite "passionate" when making points for defending the Constraction system :grin: I must admit to having neglected to read the comments on my UtD review as I didn't fancy reading the inevitable "BIONICLE isn't LEGO" comments that otherwise had nothing to do with the actual review. Weird is that my Ekimu review that was posted a few days later didn't get any such comments, just a comment on how it looked MORE like a BIONICLE than the others...

But even since the 3 years I've been active in the LEGO community, particularly Brickset, I've seen people's opinions on Constraction change, and I'd like to think that the Star Wars figures have contributed greatly to this change in thinking. Heck, when I posted Draphim the Dragonborn to the MOC thread on the Brickset Forums, I was expecting it to be largely "glossed over" for the fact that it was purely just Smaug bigfig and CCBS. It didn't, it became my most liked post there ever and it got comments from people, some who otherwise wouldn't have been interested in Constraction, saying they really liked it.

I do still dream of the day when LEGO fans young and old will look at Constraction without prejudice and accept it for what it is... because even if BIONICLE is going out, Constraction will stay.

But anyway, that's all I have to say on this topic. Not that there's much to talk about otherwise until 2017 info emerges. I was asked to review BIONICLE for Brickset, I'll continue to review BIONICLE for Brickset regardless of the naysayers who have to let their opinions be heard.

Huw's comment has to be one of the worst. I don't have much respect for that guy as it seems any time he comments on an article or posts an article he words things very pompously and in his eyes if it isn't City, it's an abomination. Oh and heaven forbid a set commits the ultimate crime and comes with stickers(that are optional to put on). Seriously, sure it's not ideal but it's not the end of the world. He doesn't bother trying to hide his disdain for most themes and it comes off as being very unprofessional someone running a website like Brickset. Don't even get me started on his abysmal toyfair coverage.

Anyway, yeah there will always be those who are close-minded and still can't accept that constraction is a vital part of LEGO now. Is the Bionicle reboot perfect? No. Are the sets, on the whole at least, excellent? Yes.

Huw's comment has to be one of the worst. I don't have much respect for that guy as it seems any time he comments on an article or posts an article he words things very pompously and in his eyes if it isn't City, it's an abomination. Oh and heaven forbid a set commits the ultimate crime and comes with stickers(that are optional to put on). Seriously, sure it's not ideal but it's not the end of the world. He doesn't bother trying to hide his disdain for most themes and it comes off as being very unprofessional someone running a website like Brickset. Don't even get me started on his abysmal toyfair coverage.

Anyway, yeah there will always be those who are close-minded and still can't accept that constraction is a vital part of LEGO now. Is the Bionicle reboot perfect? No. Are the sets, on the whole at least, excellent? Yes.

The funny thing is in the Ekimu review Huw's comment is very complimentary of the review saying it was well done and he is glad some one with Constraction experience is willing to write the reviews since he has an obvious lack of expertise. For all of his strong opinions, he knows very well how to delegate responsibility to those with more expertise. In fact about the only theme he writes reviews of now is City or Creator; other people are tackling the rest. Both TheOneVeryonian and TheBrickPal are helping Bionicle get more reviews, the same way CaptainRex101 has done for Star Wars.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

Also went on to toysrus.com to find that there is currently like a deal thing of where if you spend $40 or more on LEGO you can get a free Bionicle set ($14.99 value). So if you're still missing some sets you could jump on to that deal.

heck ya man! sounds awsome!

So, one question I suddenly have: if we do get the halves of the Vahi next year...how are they going to attach to the faces? Is one going to be usable as a standalone mask (probably the upper half), and the other only when they're together? Is one of them going to use a different point of attachment?

I've wondered about that. I presume the upper half may have clips of some kind that the lower half snap onto, or maybe even an addon port (like on a shell) at the mouth for the lower half to peg onto.

So, one question I suddenly have: if we do get the halves of the Vahi next year...how are they going to attach to the faces? Is one going to be usable as a standalone mask (probably the upper half), and the other only when they're together? Is one of them going to use a different point of attachment?

It's probably going to slide onto the old Vahi's axle so it won't look awkward and large. Though, I think LEGO knows most people won't even have the old Vahi, so they might not be to be combined anyway.