VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

New here,2017 is the last year of Bionicle?

This year,I began collecting sets.

Possibly, but that's not set in stone. We know that like all story themes it's initially planned for a three year run, but if it's doing decent it can go on for longer.

Possibly, but that's not set in stone. We know that like all story themes it's initially planned for a three year run, but if it's doing decent it can go on for longer.

Yes nothing is set in stone. Just fan rumors based on "how well sets are stocked in my locale" type of stuff. We won't know the theme has kicked the can until it actually does. For all we know Lego is limiting production to keep the theme alive, by limiting it's sales to exclusive stores.

Welcome Romaniabro, sadly next year is almost guaranteed to be the last one.

Hi and this is really sad :cry_sad::look:

Ah. That's too bad. But if you go to TRU then you will be able to buy older sets. I was kind of like you when I started collecting the sets, but now I have a lot of figures from 2015.

Ah. That's too bad. But if you go to TRU then you will be able to buy older sets. I was kind of like you when I started collecting the sets, but now I have a lot of figures from 2015.

In my country we don't have Toys Rus,but we have the all 2015 sets.They are boring to me.

2016 are better.

And yet the announcement of a BIONICLE Rebrick contest doesn't excite people... clearly it's a lot more fun to speculate on the possible end of a line than it is to enjoy what it's actually offering.

Finally managed to post my first interview; it's not BIONICLE (don't kill me) but it does have some news I think people will be excited about...

Interview with Rebrick

Oh my. Bionicle contest? Hope i can join. Definitely fun.

We have no confirmation that the line is ending, and the people who claim it us need to hop back up on the fence with the rest of us until we get some true evidence from LEGO itself.

The community is part of what's wrong with BIONICLE. Instead of positively talking about design inspirations, new exciting world-building and lore added by Windham, and getting the community as a whole involved in exciting fan projects, everyone is trying to predict BIONICLE's doom either to gain fame for a few seconds or create a dreary atmosphere. It needs to stop, and the community needs to actually support the theme with artwork and other creative things, promptly displayed for all to see.

Edited by Tarvaxx

Until we get pictures of either the 2017 winter sets. Or the supposed rumored extra summer set. I'm going to take G2's cancellation with a grain of salt

Well considering that on the U.S. shop at home web site the winter 2016 sets are literally on sale and have a retiring soon thing on them.

The sets are all cool and for the most part I like what's been offered from the line thus far, but sometimes it is good to see how things are going now, and to predict for the future. You can't expect a happy go lucky atmosphere all the time.

Really the state of the line is confusing. On one there are multiple reports of stores not selling the theme, selling it in limited stock, or just not at all. Even mentioned earlier the sets are being put on sale and have a retiring soon tag on them on U.S. Lego Shop at home. Yet at the same time Europe is getting magazines and Russia got two exclusive polybags.

All things considered my expectations are pretty low for 2017.

Edited by MrHerofan

And yet the announcement of a BIONICLE Rebrick contest doesn't excite people... clearly it's a lot more fun to speculate on the possible end of a line than it is to enjoy what it's actually offering.

Self-flagellation, thy name is fandom.

Finished off the winter wave the other day. I don't like this year's toa as much as last year's, although I do enjoy them quite a bit (wouldn't have gotten them if I didn't) and I'm excited to see what next year will bring for bionicle, even if it is it's last year. It'll have been well worth it. I'm having a great time with G2 so far, and will enjoy it for however long it lasts. Just throwing in some optimism for bionicle amongst the doom and gloom.

Self-flagellation, thy name is fandom.

The winner/winners of the mask contest as it was a couple weren't that much part of the Bionicle fandom and it didn't get that much attention due to that.

I'm personally excited to see what the theme of the contest is but also hope they have some change with the rules. I don't want too see another behemoth that is covered with pieces that aren't officially released to overshadow everything else again. It's just completely unfair and something Lego should not allow.

Sure I'd like to see more art and stuff from the books but not many people seem to even know about them. Which is discouraging at least me to crate any art of them.

But as that's also what informs people of their existence I might eventually do it.

I don't want too see another behemoth that is covered with pieces that aren't officially released to overshadow everything else again. It's just completely unfair and something Lego should not allow.

This. How are we supposed to take these contests seriously after that time?

By the way, as I said many times, saying the line is failing also because of AFOLs is hogwash. How many people do regularly browse this forum? Fifty, at best? It's nothing compared to the market BIONICLE is aimed at. Whatever we say, it's not gonna influence a relevant amount of people.

The "exciting world-building and lore added by Windham" is so massive that a page or two are enough to comment it. After that, not much else remains to be talked about. No games, no movies, not even comics anymore. JtO is the only hot topic we're having since a long time, and it's rightfully at the center of long discussions whenever something new about it pops out.

The fans, at least here in Eurobricks, can't do much. And it's up to the people in control of the community to keep it alive. TTV, BZP and EB are all doing an acceptable job as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by TwistLaw

Definitely late, but I finally got Kopaka and Melum the other day. Absolutely love them. The dark blue is such a great addition to Kopaka's palette.

This. How are we supposed to take this these contests seriously after that time?

That whole argument about the new pieces is so tired. I can't speak to the voting round itself, but after that they were judged by both community representatives chosen by LEGO, and then LEGO itself. I'm not a fan of the final model myself, but I hope nobody is convinced that the presence of new pieces had anything to do with why it won.

The "exciting world-building and lore added by Windham" is so massive that a page or two are enough for commenting it.

And who's fault is that? You can't blame people for failing to do something and then not do anything yourself. It doesn't work that way. If that's not enough for you, then do something about it; fan fiction, speculation, whatever. The community (ALL of it, regardless of where they are) needs to put its money where its mouth is, and get engaged.

I'm having a great time with G2 so far, and will enjoy it for however long it lasts. Just throwing in some optimism for bionicle amongst the doom and gloom.

<3

The winner/winners of the mask contest as it was a couple weren't that much part of the Bionicle fandom and it didn't get that much attention due to that.

I'm personally excited to see what the theme of the contest is but also hope they have some change with the rules. I don't want too see another behemoth that is covered with pieces that aren't officially released to overshadow everything else again. It's just completely unfair and something Lego should not allow.

Sure I'd like to see more art and stuff from the books but not many people seem to even know about them. Which is discouraging at least me to crate any art of them.

But as that's also what informs people of their existence I might eventually do it.

Bitter much? You act as though the unreleased parts in the winning entry of that initial contest were the main reason it won, rather than what amounted to a minor feature in the grand scheme of things. Disqualifying the entry on those grounds would have been overkill, especially considering that all the parts were technically official Lego parts even though they had not been released in retail sets—it'd make no more sense to ban those than it would to ban parts like the orange Vahi or Trans. Neon Green Miru (which were released solely as limited-edition giveaways).

I hope nobody is convinced that the presence of new pieces had anything to do with why it won.

I don't think anybody is. But that was unfair, there is no denying.

And who's fault is that? You can't blame people for failing to do something and then not do anything yourself. It doesn't work that way. If that's not enough for you, then do something about it; fan fiction, speculation, whatever. The community (ALL of it, regardless of where they are) needs to put its money where its mouth is, and get engaged.

I don't think a failing toy line may be saved by a fanfiction. And I'm speaking in general.

As far as BIONICLE is concerned, if we didn't see much work from the fans maybe the source material itself could be blamed a little. If it were more engaging, deep and original the (currently small) fanbase BIONICLE has on the internet may have been a little more active and maybe it could have even expanded. I supported BIONICLE by purchasing nearly all of the sets, some of them in multiple copies, and buying magazines and books. In my humble opinion that's the best I could do, more than writing a fanfiction in my poor english, more than drawing an artwork with my 2nd grade skills.

I see where you're coming from, and I somehow agree with you, but you shouldn't put such a heavy boulder on such a small community. This is no 2004.

Edited by TwistLaw

I don't think anybody is. But that was unfair, there is no denying.

I don't think it was unfair at all (and with the amount of people saying so, you think the model would have done worse in the actual voter polls), but I think it was more on the model builder to have been self-aware enough to realize the kinds of reactions those pieces would have caused; it honestly would have been even less fair for LEGO to deny it solely based on those, at any rate.

I don't think a failing toy line may be saved by a fanfiction. And I'm speaking in general.

As far as BIONICLE is concerned, if we didn't see much work from the fans maybe the source material itself could be blamed a little. If it were more engaging, deep and original the (currently small) fanbase BIONICLE has on the internet may have been a little more active and maybe it could have even expanded. I supported BIONICLE by purchasing nearly all of the sets, some of them in multiple copies, and buying magazines and books. In my humble opinion that's the best I could do, more than writing a fanfiction in my poor english, more than drawing an artwork with my 2nd grade skills.

I see where you're coming from, and I somehow agree with you, but you shouldn't put such a heavy boulder on such a small community. This is no 2004.

I can understand that you aren't personally as invested in the material as others, but to blame that on the material itself doesn't feel right. And at some point, I think it definitely is the burden of the fanbase; you can't expect everything handed to you on a platter. If you're wanting more, you have to look for what's out there and get involved. That's the whole point of fan communities in the first place; I'm not calling out EB's populace specifically at all, I'm saying this applies overall.

I hate to use the 'Devil's Advocate' trope, but I'm split on the prototype parts issue included in contest MOCs. On one hand, a prototype part can come in a unique color that can go really well with a figure more so than another piece that could be used instead, on the other, prototype pieces are still technically 'official' so outright banning them wouldn't really make sense. I dunno. I personally don't MOC anymore, but I felt the need to put my 2 bucks in into the hat.

i think i am out of the loop but what contest had a MoC which contained protytype/unreleased elements? and i am hoping the unreleased elements in question were like rare misprints and whatnot purchased secondhand because otherwise it sounds like cronyism since the only way the winner would be able to get their hands on super new super secret superparts would be having a connection to an element designer ie know someone from the inside like insider trading.

i think i am out of the loop but what contest had a MoC which contained protytype/unreleased elements? and i am hoping the unreleased elements in question were like rare misprints and whatnot purchased secondhand because otherwise it sounds like cronyism since the only way the winner would be able to get their hands on super new super secret superparts would be having a connection to an element designer ie know someone from the inside like insider trading.

It was the villain contest for the gold Skull Spider mask. The prototype parts in question were given to the certain contest participant.

I just don't think it deserved to win because it looked like an absolute mess, but hey-ho~

It was also the typical generic edgy black monster with wings; there were many entries much more creative than that.

It was also the typical generic edgy black monster with wings; there were many entries much more creative than that.

It has became generic over time because it works. Are all creative types hipstery? Nothing is wrong with something generic, much less something generic winning. Creativity is in the eye of the beholder. What might be uncreative to you can be extremely creative to someone else.

The whole point was to make something large and imposing. Anything without wings just wouldn't be able to beat that MOC in the judging process, since wings make a shadowy character look like it could envelope its enemy.

Edited by Tarvaxx

It was the villain contest for the gold Skull Spider mask. The prototype parts in question were given to the certain contest participant.

given

prior to the contest? because that sounds shady. unless they got the parts in an unrelated incident like they were the prize from an unrelated contest. an earlier unrelated contest.

if the former i am wholly against the practice because it gives the participant an unfair advantage since i doubt other contestants could have access to those unique parts. i mean rares and other secondhand oddities could give a similar advantage but they are till availible to the public just in very low quantities and for very high prices.

using wholly unique one-of-a-kind prototype parts should be akin to using custom made elements like unique 3d printed parts or taking exclusive parts from compatibal competitors like those double studded plates from megabloks: perfect for your own creations to show off in a hobbyist setting but should be illegal in competitive settings like contests.

using wholly unique one-of-a-kind prototype parts should be akin to using custom made elements like unique 3d printed parts or taking exclusive parts from compatibal competitors like those double studded plates from megabloks: perfect for your own creations to show off in a hobbyist setting but should be illegal in competitive settings like contests.

http://i0.wp.com/far...e=480,640&ssl=1

I wouldn't say those parts were that extremely unique, as they were just the 2015 Onua claws and Pohatu boomerangs colored silver. Sans the boomerangs, those parts at the time of the contest were available to NYCC build event. They were more unreleased pieces than prototypes really, and their effect on the MOC is so minimal I've never cared about it personally. Creatively using what you have is what I think contests should promote, and the only rules it needs are the ones that enable that.