VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

But weapons are great to give a character identity and in general to make the set more appealing. That's something the Nuva and above all the Mata did excellently (the prototype names for the Toa Mata were actually the signature weapon they had, that is Lewa was going to be called Axe, Pohatu Kick and so on). After the Toa Nuva sadly BIONICLE didn't manage anymore to give the same strong identity to each weapon, relying on clone tools (Inika swords, zamor launcher etc), with the only true exception with the Bara Magna characters.

The light-up Inika tools may have all had the same function, but only two of them were swords (much like the Mata weapons). The others included an axe, a crossbow, a harpoon, and a drill. (plus, Hewkii had a chain and Nuparu had claws as secondary weapons). I think their biggest fault would be their size and shape limiting their versatility, rather than them not having enough variety. Although given how many times I've heard people talk about them as if they were all swords, maybe I'm wrong about that.

That is, until last year. BIONICLE 2015 did an amazing job in giving each Toa a (almost) exclusive weapon, and when shared they were used in clever ways. Even the protectors had different builds for their shooters. All of this, along with unique builds, managed to give to the good guys a different feel from each other. That came at a cost in LEGO's new policies towards constraction: introducing few new pieces that could help setting apart BIONICLE aesthetics from those of Hero Factory.

This year did the exact opposite: many new pieces that created a true BIONICLE 2.0 feel, but literally one new weapon (the Shadow Traps work much better as traps and armour, imho).

So, what's better, new weapons or new pieces in other areas? Hard to say. I actually dislike the new torso armour because leaves the back much more empty, but from the front looks pretty nice -except in silver, ugh- and I'm ok with the pistons. The crystal piece is ok, but the PoU is GORGEOUS. The new sword is trash for me, sorry, especially when compared to last year's weapons.

I'd say I like new weapons over pieces, at the end of the day. That way it's harder to furk things up (if I read one more time complaints about the overdesigned torso...) and you can actually give your characters... some character.

I feel like the builds of this year's weapons help to make up for the core crystal blade piece being the same across all of them. The only two Toa weapons that strike me as "too similar" are Gali's and Pohatu's. Besides one having a propellor and the other having a flail, and some other decorative differences, both are staves with a single blade at the end. By comparison, the weapons of Lewa, Tahu, and Kopaka all feel very different despite all being sword-like. I also quite like how the crystal motif is so ubiquitous across the new Toa masks, weapons, and armor. It's a really neat way of making them feel upgraded/energized. Though I'm a bit disappointed that Onua's weapon doesn't have more of a crystal motif.

With that said, I do think last year's Toa weapons were generally more appealing to me. It's not even so much about the varied molds for me, so much as the creative secondary functions and the weapon choices that felt so well-suited to the characters. Of course, I know that the dual-function weapon gimmick would have been hard to pull off two years in a row. Even in G1, the Toa Metru weapons never felt as impressive to me as the Toa Nuva weapons. But still, I can't help feeling like the 2016 Toa and their weapons struggle to measure up to the 2015 versions, which got so much right.

Picked up pohatu yesterday, I actually like it a lot more than I thought I would. The nuclear arms, while still a little wierd, don't bother me nearly as much as I thought they would. I feel that placing the dark tan shells on his arms and putting dark orange shells on his legs makes a near perfect set. and I'm really liking the custom built arms for him. The rock flail is great too.

While I can understand the hate for ketar, I feel like pohatu is a rock solid set. Probably one of my favorite toa of the wave.

In regards to all the conspiracy about Bionicle doing badly, here's an interesting snippet from the latest issue of Blocks Magazine. Food for thought.

(Please excuse the large image. It's best kept full-size for the sake of legibility)

149c60a3103e8cb31e43c4ddc286b584.png

Uh-oh here comes the Bionicle scalpers...

Actually though, that sounds interesting. Lego knows these will go on early discounts? They purposefully run shorter runs of them? And all for the purpose of making their fans rush to get them in time? So all the things we thought were signs of Bionicle's downfall; are actually signs of how Lego handles it so it is actually successful? Strange business indeed.

It's not really clear where the author is pulling his information from - it reads to me like these are his own impressions, not necessarily based on some inside source we lack access to.

Uh-oh here comes the Bionicle scalpers...

Actually though, that sounds interesting. Lego knows these will go on early discounts? They purposefully run shorter runs of them? And all for the purpose of making their fans rush to get them in time? So all the things we thought were signs of Bionicle's downfall; are actually signs of how Lego handles it so it is actually successful? Strange business indeed.

It sounds like you might be confusing some of the information from that article for being official Lego information. Unless there's more of that article that I'm not seeing, the only part that has anything to do with Lego's own treatment of Bionicle is the part with the frustratingly unsourced information about Hero Factory and Bionicle's growth over the past few years. The rest discusses only the aftermarket for Bionicle and does not imply anything about purposely shorter runs or pre-planned discounts. Remember, Blocks Magazine is not an official Lego publication, it is an AFOL fan magazine, and while they do sometimes have interviews with designers and similar exclusive content, this article seems to be written primarily from the perspective of a fan/collector and not someone who would have inside information about Lego's business practices.

i am confused. how exactly do short runs and a collectors market make the theme sell well? is it a strategy to keep perpetual interest? the sets or going fast so get'em while they last? is it a production strategy as small batches mean less resource and manhours used and can be purposed elsewhere? is it a bit of both where small batches mean scarcity for collectors and more resource for designers and in turn designers can make a better product that the avid fan will ultimately desire?

also it may be because i am ignorant of the whole dealie but going by what Blocks magazine says it sounds like the strategy has the proprihtary AFOL demographic in mind rather than kids. unless the modern 8-12 year old builds extensive collections like any 18-37 year old i would think a kid would buy for cool/fun factor therefor would not care how rare or special a particular toy is unless it's advertized (collect the gold bionicle!).

though i do enjoy our preferred subtheme getting a bit of recognition :) i don't think i ever saw Bionicle mentioned anywhere in brickjounral and unless i am mistaken that was the premier lego fan's magazine.

Going off on a bit of a tangent, but just got Gali today, and I'm fairly certain nobody else has noticed a small error on the back of the packaging (Hint: on the back of the box, look at the upper right picture of her spinning function - pay extra attention to the torso armor). It's nothing, but I found it interesting enough to mention :tongue:

I've known about this for a while.

I worded that horribly, what I meant is that I've seen nobody mention it here, though now that I think about it someone probably has.

What's the error?

Gali is rendered with Onua's torso printing

It sounds like you might be confusing some of the information from that article for being official Lego information. Unless there's more of that article that I'm not seeing, the only part that has anything to do with Lego's own treatment of Bionicle is the part with the frustratingly unsourced information about Hero Factory and Bionicle's growth over the past few years. The rest discusses only the aftermarket for Bionicle and does not imply anything about purposely shorter runs or pre-planned discounts. Remember, Blocks Magazine is not an official Lego publication, it is an AFOL fan magazine, and while they do sometimes have interviews with designers and similar exclusive content, this article seems to be written primarily from the perspective of a fan/collector and not someone who would have inside information about Lego's business practices.

Yeah thinking about it a bit more it does seem that was a some "un-sourced" opinions. I should have been suppose at the lack of quotes from actual Lego designers. :facepalm: Pity... Still, the note that aftermarket prices are higher is something that maybe could have been gathered accurately. It would be an interesting study to find if that info is correct.

Going off on a bit of a tangent, but just got Gali today, and I'm fairly certain nobody else has noticed a small error on the back of the packaging (Hint: on the back of the box, look at the upper right picture of her spinning function - pay extra attention to the torso armor). It's nothing, but I found it interesting enough to mention :tongue:

How is Gali? If I end up completing the collection (at this point it's likely), she'll be my next purchase.

I guess this question really goes to whoever owns her.

Hnggghh only Amazon? No one's found 'em in physical stores?

I found my copy of the first G2 graphic novel in a physical store (WHSmith, in the UK, don't know about where it might be found in the US), but it took me ages to find that one physical copy in my area and I haven't seen any since. They really do seem scarce in physical stores, I don't like my chances of finding the second graphic novel in a physical store when it's released at the end of April, I don't want to rely on Amazon for it either :sceptic:

Cremini mushrooms! :angry: Does anyone have pictures/scans/whatever of the interior of the graphic novels? I'm mostly interested in those, but I can't find any images of their internal artwork.

Edit: NVM, found a video review. Gonna go order those graphic novels online, I guess... :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Junior Shark

I got The Revenge of the Skull Spiders book and Coming of the Toa graphic novel from an Indigo store. And I got Island of the Lost Masks from Indigo's website.

Its a great site to get books from as free shipping is for purchases about 20-25 dollars and over.

I plan on buying Battle of the Mask Makers when it comes out from Indigo.

Granted it might be a Canada owned store so I don't know how well it would work for those outside of Canada

So, which Uniter do you think has the best arm build?

Lewa's. The way his torso is built makes it look a bit awkward, but on its own it is great. Kopaka's is also a good design, but it is parts-intensive and he also has the issue of awkward torso build. Pohatu's also does a good job of looking great from the front, but not really from any other angle.

So, which Uniter do you think has the best arm build?

Hands down, Pohatu has the best arm design. They're the most unrestricted, decently designed arms (albeit..still a bit short). Gali's arms are hard to move around because of the armoured shells, ditto with Onua and Tahu. Lewa's arms are just way too short and the connections make it difficult to really pose him well. That said, I do like the ideas for Lewa's arms...the execution just didn't work. Kopaka's arms are meh.

Mmmm... Lewa's. With an easy mod. I ended up taking the friction joints from the ankles (because I hate ankle friction joints) and moving them to his elbows. Makes his arms just slightly longer, but makes a world of difference in my eyes.