VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

So the jaws are moved by the eyestalk, and since Umarak has a 'normal' mask, it means his jaw function + mask conflict with each other...

I don't think that's the case. I don't think it is any different from the Beasts' masks, therefore it shouldn't interfere with the jaw snapping function.

I started out with Storm Beast as my least favorite and Quake Beast as my favorite based on the leaks. Now Lava Beast is my favorite and Quake Beast as my least favorite. Once I have them in hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Storm Beast will actually become my favorite because of that cool function. The claws look nice too. Lava Beast is still the best looking of the 3 and I really like his Wyvern/Balrog-like appearance. Quake Beast is just very messy and his function is kinda lousy. The color scheme has a couple issues too. The only solid purple piece is his mask and the pink crystals on the torso look like they belong in an Elves set. If they were purple, they'd look great and actually fit the color scheme while making the crystal add-ons more uniform in appearance.

Edited by ToaDraco

Hm, Quake's function doesn't look too bad in the video, Lava's is... quite plane, and Storm's looks pretty interesting(decent function, almost ugly figure). Ekimu's legs, ugh, they didn't grow as well as the rest of him, still, 2015 and 16' functions, nice, would've liked a new mask though.

Might I add; I hated Bruizer's function.

..."function".

Edited by MakutaOfWar

That's fast.

I just saw BZP's video - Storm Beast's function looks very interesting! It'll take a proper review to convince me, but I'm more open to getting it now.

EDIT: I just noticed that you can see Tahu and Kopaka in the backgrounds, without their masks. That's awesome!

Edited by Lockon Stratos

Hey...this is interesting....but Tahu without his mask in the background of the lava beast art....that's his master incarnation! At least the leg and torso constructions/designs definitely are. Kopaka is I'm his uniter form in the storm beast art.....Onua is absent from quake beast's art. All the art looks awesome....storm beast's is my favourite.

Edited by lambda_cla3391

It's remarkable how good a set can look when it's not posed as if all the bones in its body are broken :P

Anyway, storm beast's function looks very cool, and almost looks like he's being controlled by strings, that's appropriately creepy. Not sure that quake's is very well executed, and I'm not even sure what Lava's is. Do you just push the gears, and the weapons move with them? 'Cos if so, that's not a function. You could get exactly the same result by just pushing the weapon itself.

Box art looks cool,as eve, nice touch with the background art.

Edited by Timeline15

They still look ugly to me. Even the backgrounds aren't that appealing with all that sickly green that reminds me of 2005 which wasn't a very good year. The only sets of this vawe that look remotely solid are Ekimu (but I don't like the abundance of trans. blue on him) and Umarak (but the golden mask and horns don't go too well with his color scheme, even though I know they're supposed to be the remains of MoCo).

EDIT:

1947838_1515200535453668_4012545729966751864_n.jpg?oh=dfd98e850e578fb0c73b9efa59a4a4fc&oe=57528968

That's... not a very clever design. At least it shouldn't be too hard to mod it and we get a recolored bone piece.

Edited by Onepu the Protector

EDIT:

*snip*

That's... not a very clever design. At least it shouldn't be too hard to mod it and we get a recolored bone piece.

Yeah I also don't understand that design. We even have the other type of bone in the right size in that exact same color. Perhaps this was made this way to make the legs more stable... But they're advertised on the box with a bend that isn't even possible in real life :hmpf:

Hey...this is interesting....but Tahu without his mask in the background of the lava beast art....that's his master incarnation!

Maybe without the new masks they change back?

Edit: Scratch that, you said Kopaka was. Ugh, I'm not awake yet.

Edited by MakutaOfWar

So I'm not the only one who noticed Umarak's horrible ankle design. Yeesh. That kinda kills it for me (yes, I'm picky).

If i buy this set, i will replace this piece.

Luckily, it's easy enough to replace—in fact, if you have the Protector of Stone, you can easily just swap the 5M "A" beams used on his upper legs for the ones for the 5M "B" beams used on Umarak's ankles and essentially improve BOTH sets. :wink:

Luckily, it's easy enough to replace—in fact, if you have the Protector of Stone, you can easily just swap the 5M "A" beams used on his upper legs for the ones for the 5M "B" beams used on Umarak's ankles and essentially improve BOTH sets. :wink:

Yeeep. It's very easy. Even if you don't have PoS. Just take a different color.

I don't think anybody has noticed this yet. In BZP's video, lava beasts mouth is closed. The mask is made in such a way that the ridges on the eye-stalk run into ridges on the mask, allowing it to close and stay close. Only thing is, if the character has horns, the horns have to be tilted upwards to close the jaw. (AKA not facing forwards)

This may make some people happier about the beats heads.

Edited by NetherCreeper

Well the sets still look pretty good. There are ideas behind them that I like, and the execution is alright. I do like seeing the Toa in the background without their masks. Umarak now looks more awkward than he did before, so hopefully he looks better in person.

I guess the story is becoming darker. Dark clouds with thunder. Green slime everywhere. It feels apocalyptic. Maybe Lego is setting the stage for next year when Makuta comes back with full force.

Yeah, makes sense they'd have some buildup for the final year. The backdrops are probably the thing I enjoy the most about this new wave. Weirdly reminiscent of all the green we got in 2005 with the whole poison/mutation theme.

I guess the story is becoming darker. Dark clouds with thunder. Green slime everywhere.

The villains in 2017 are obviously going to be Flemoids. Can't wait to see the Toa don cereal-themed armor!

Conspiracy theories: Since the main feature of the beasts is the jaw, and the shadow traps also have the biting function, what if:

The beasts are the shadow traps mutated by the green slime?

Seeing the function videos, there's even less of an excuse for Storm Beast to have that infernal construction instead of a gearbox - a gearbox would accomplish exactly the same range of motion while giving the tail articulation and filling up the back letter, while not looking anywhere near as out of place. Seriously, designers?

Seeing the function videos, there's even less of an excuse for Storm Beast to have that infernal construction instead of a gearbox - a gearbox would accomplish exactly the same range of motion while giving the tail articulation and filling up the back letter, while not looking anywhere near as out of place. Seriously, designers?

Actually, you're wrong. A gearbox would only be HALF as functional as the function on Storm Beast, because like Skull Basher, Storm Beast's function allows for two distinct movement options rather than just one. By moving the tail from side to side, you can indeed swing the arms alternately, as if a gearbox had been used. But by moving the tail up and down, you can also swing both arms in the same direction simultaneously. And without a large and complex transmission-like function (which has never been seen before in Bionicle and probably could not be achieved on a figure this size), there's just no way to build a gearbox that can do both of the above.

Edited by Lyichir

Actually, you're wrong. A gearbox would only be HALF as functional as the function on Storm Beast, because like Skull Basher, Storm Beast's function allows for two distinct movement options rather than just one. By moving the tail from side to side, you can indeed swing the arms alternately, as if a gearbox had been used. But by moving the tail up and down, you can also swing both arms in the same direction simultaneously. And without a large and complex transmission-like function (which has never been seen before in Bionicle and probably could not be achieved on a figure this size), there's just no way to build a gearbox that can do both of the above.

Yeah i agree with that. I love storm beast.