VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

Stag-antlered decomposing plant-covered humanoid != dinosaur.

Muscled near-digitigrade legs + talons + stubby arms + horns = dinosaur to me.

Muscled near-digitigrade legs + talons + stubby arms + horns = dinosaur to me.

There are certain similarities. He's more like the product of Vezon aiming the Spear of Fusion at a Bota Magna-raptor and the Grinch.

Don't forget that Vezon threw this in with the dinosaurs and the Grinch.

(According to the rules l have to attribute this photo to its author Yathin S. Krishnappa, obviously not my photo)

Edit: Dang it that photo is to big for Eurobricks! Here is a link to that stag in all his deer-y glory:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/2012-mule-deer-male.jpg

Edited by xboxtravis7992

Don't forget that Vezon threw this in with the dinosaurs and the Grinch.

(According to the rules l have to attribute this photo to its author Yathin S. Krishnappa, obviously not my photo)

Edit: Dang it that photo is to big for Eurobricks! Here is a link to that stag in all his deer-y glory:

https://upload.wikim...e-deer-male.jpg

You're missing the obvious.

seriously though it's been over a month since the android release of mask of control

why no ios?

It isn't actually out on Android. For some reason the page for it is accessible (it shouldn't be), but the vast majority of people are still unable to download the game anyway.

I've read an interesting theory about Umarak, apparently he's based on the Wendigo.

I've read an interesting theory about Umarak, apparently he's based on the Wendigo.

i heard that one and i can really see it in him

that and he's based on some god with a deer head and a bow

EDIT: are there really any dinosaurs with antlers

Edited by Toa_Bomb

Wendigo could also apparently shapeshift, could explain JTO's Umarak with Shadow Trap hands, tail, etc. And possibly even his Destroyer form.

Edit: Little reading, humans believed if they resorted to cannibalism they could turn into them.

So here's the thing; Umarak ate Onua.

Edited by MakutaOfWar

That's a "is not equal to" symbol.

Actually this is.

=/=

At least it's as close to the actual symbol as possible with a keyboard.

Edited by Jetrax99

Actually this is.

=/=

At least it's as close to the actual symbol as possible with a keyboard.

"!=" is used in most programming languages as "not equivalent to" even though it doesn't look identical to the mathematical symbol.

Anyway...

Since constraction seems to avoid vehicles these days, I'd be down for ridable cyborg dinosaurs. Pohatu 2017 on the back of a scorpisaur stegosaurus is good in my book.

Then what would Lewa get? An albatross?

EDIT: So the pictures are out, and the NYTF guys are even worse at assembling sets. Still hating the Beasts (except for torso prints) and Ekimu, while Umarak TD looks worse if anything (albeit still acceptable).

Edited by DraikNova

Even when excusing the atrocious posing, I'm not really impressed. They're just not... Grabbing my attention. Maybe things'll change closer to release, but as it stands... Looks like I'll be saving some money.

EDIT: So the pictures are out, and the NYTF guys are even worse at assembling sets. Still hating the Beasts (except for torso prints) and Ekimu, while Umarak TD looks worse if anything (albeit still acceptable).

Presumably Lewa would get a Pterosaur. (Not really a dinosaur, but close enough.)

I actually had an idea similar to this a while back, Tahu had a T. Rex. :classic:

i heard that one and i can really see it in him

that and he's based on some god with a deer head and a bow

You mean Cernunnos? That's the only one I know of, but I think he was a forest protector, not an evil spirit.

Then again, Thor was a redhead in the original myths and Hades never was evil in Greek tales, so I guess mythical accuracy doesn't really matter in popular culture.

You know, calling an albatross a dinosaur is like calling a human an australophitecus; related, but not the same thing.

Where are the pictures?

EDIT: Nevermind, found them.

Presumably Lewa would get a Pterosaur. (Not really a dinosaur, but close enough.)

I actually had an idea similar to this a while back, Tahu had a T. Rex. :classic:

Was that idea before or after watching Age of Extinction? :wink:

Seriously, though, that'd be cool.

Edited by The Outsider

On the one hand, the new pictures do help to highlight the unique functions of Umarak and the Beasts (plus, the Mask of Creation works much better in Trans. Light Blue than I thought it would).

On the other hand, Ekimu is still boring, the Beasts are posed awkwardly, and I'm disappointed that the sets all seem to use the old eyestalks since I was REALLY hoping to get the new ones in Trans. Fluor. Green.

I can't help but notice that the Lava Beast's and Storm Beast's jaws aren't dropping down like Quake Beast's - friction? Ekimu's shield is also popping out way too far. I think they use the old eyestalks because of their jaws, it's kind of hard to use the new eyestalks, since they don't extend far out enough to be easily pressed. Glad to see they've dropped them.

I'm also not sure what Quake beast's shoulder is meant to be - it looks like a bunch of parts lazily slapped together. That exposed gear....

Lava Beast's transparent black spiky things look horrible - they'd be better off solid black. The glatorian necks in the legs are also the shade of brown Pohatu's mask uses, not transparent orange. Like the ones Pohatu has.

Umarak's mask also appears to be gunmetal and trans-orange.

You know, calling an albatross a dinosaur is like calling a human an australophitecus; related, but not the same thing.

Considering that birds are just a small group of raptors, it's more like saying that rodents aren't mammals. Your average pigeon is closer to Velociraptors in terms of skeletal anatomy, in terms of physical size and phylogenetically than Velociraptors are to Diplodocus. Anyway, my point was more that they'd need to use more than just dinosaurs if they wanted to give Lewa an extinct creature as a flying mount. Personally, I'd give him an Azhdarchid. Azhdarchids are pterosaurs (closely related to dinosaurs) and ridiculously intimidating, with a skull twice the size of a Tyrannosaurus Rex and with a diet that probably included T. Rex hatchlings. Think giant quadrupedal death stork with an ironic diet.

I can't help but notice that the Lava Beast's and Storm Beast's jaws aren't dropping down like Quake Beast's - friction? Ekimu's shield is also popping out way too far. I think they use the old eyestalks because of their jaws, it's kind of hard to use the new eyestalks, since they don't extend far out enough to be easily pressed. Glad to see they've dropped them.

I'm also not sure what Quake beast's shoulder is meant to be - it looks like a bunch of parts lazily slapped together. That exposed gear....

The thing is, the jaws eliminate the need for the eyestalks themselves to be pressed, since a solid uppercut to the jaw would have the same effect regardless of which eyestalk was used (and the jaws are a much larger area to press than either eyestalk, as well).

Also, Quake Beast seems to use a SIDEWAYS 2015 gearbox, with his right arm geared to swing horizontally. It's ridiculous but also kind of amazing.

Do they? I don't think the jaws are there for knocking the Beast's heads off, I think the eyestalks are there to allow the jaws to snap shut and open, and to do that by pressing the jaws instead of an eyestalk would be horribly awkward.

Do they? I don't think the jaws are there for knocking the Beast's heads off, I think the eyestalks are there to allow the jaws to snap shut and open, and to do that by pressing the jaws instead of an eyestalk would be horribly awkward.

Hm, you think? I had assumed that the eyestalks were for popping the "masks" off like on the other sets... but I suppose given the nature of the beast heads, your explanation makes more sense.

It's still a little bit of a disappointment, though. The new eyestalks are worse at piping light than last year's, but that's exactly why I wish they came in Trans. Fluor. Green—it'd be so much more impressive on figures like the new Toa than the dull and glassy Trans. Light Blue. I had hoped to maybe swap some of those out, but now it looks like I won't get that option...

Good to see UTD's arm... ribcages are held in place. Originally I thought they'd be loose for some reason. And his neck, what is going on there?

And Ekimu looks a tad better now. As horrible as these are posed at least they did something with his shoulders, but I'm not a fan of loose armor pieces like that.

Edited by MakutaOfWar