VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

If it turns out the jaws are static or simply used as a mask knock-off play feature, I've been studying the heads and I think there's a fairly easy mod to get the jaw to move independently on Storm and Quake Beast. I think you can swap these for these, then use these to connect the jaw to the head, and that should give jaw opening capabilities with just enough friction. I'll have to try it out and see if it works. Unfortunately this won't work on Lava Beast or UtD as they have horn attachments.

I also noticed that Storm Beast uses small beast feet for hands, a very similar technique that I used on a revamped Skull Basher (and my winning BFTGM entry... I smell a rat) which I thought was a funny coincidence (and tbh, they should have just used the balljoint already on the foot with maybe a 3 or 4M bonet, the way Storm Beast's hands attach to it's arms is kinda silly and unnecessary!).

Edited by TheOneVeyronian

Perhaps Storm Beast's hands are intentional, and the designers are going for a 'long, extended, unnerving hands' look on Storm Beast? Just to emphasise the beastliness of the hands? Only explanation that makes sense to my mind.

Maybe they don't even have eyestalks? I mean, if the head is functioning as the eye color, then what would be the point? I think they may be swapping the mask-knock-off feature for chomping jaws.

Plus, in-story, they may not even wear masks. That could be their face, so a mask-knock-off feature wouldn't be necessary.

Really? How did that work?

A single mold would produce all eight Krana, and since they were randomized, it didn't matter that all Krana of the same color would get mixed together.

A single mold would produce all eight Krana, and since they were randomized, it didn't matter that all Krana of the same color would get mixed together.

Exactly. It was the same with Kraata. This is why the LEGO Customer Service database has a separate listing for each color combination of the Kraata, but no separate listings for the separate shapes/stages.

They're not the only examples of differently-shaped parts that come off the same mold. Ever wonder why the 2006 and 2007 Bionicle playsets all had the same twelve weapons, and they were listed as just one part in the back of the instructions? They literally all came off the same mold as a cost-cutting measure. The difference with those is that they were all bagged right away instead of just being dumped in a bin and put into sets individually. Lots of LEGO Friends accessories are the same way. The Big Bang Theory set includes a full set of kitchenwares even though it really only needs plates and forks, because LEGO literally can't produce the plates and forks without producing all the other parts that go with them. It's the same principle as the old tool wheels and Belville horse accessories except that LEGO punches them off the sprue for you like they do with all their other parts.

On the one hand, this might mean some sets have more weapons and accessories than they really need, and that the shape of a Krana or Kraata is always random no matter which set you get. But on the other hand, it means LEGO can produce a bunch of new part designs for the cost of just one new mold rather than having to produce a separate mold (and run a separate molding machine) for each design.

Edited by Aanchir

I think I might like the ideas behind the summer sets more than the summer sets themselves, they're not super great standalone sets but I think it'll be fun to make something great out of them.

Well, except for Umarak the Hunter, he's pretty perfect as is, trans neon green aside.

Edited by CabooseBM

Arghhhh, I'm too late to be the first member to comment about the 2016 summer sets, but since I'm now here.....

I gonna say that the beast's heads looks awesome! Quake and Lava looks better than I expected, and the summer Umarak isn't look too bad compared to the Hunter version. Didn't have anything special I can talk about Storm beast and Ekimu however.

Wait, is the 2016 Ekimu also included with a Umarak the Hunter's mask in black blended with trans-orange?

Edited by ArmstrongYong

Arghhhh, I'm too late to be the first member to comment about the 2016 summer sets, but since I'm now here.....

Wait, is the 2016 Ekimu also included with a Umarak the Hunter's mask in black blended with trans-orange?

Why do you need to be the first to comment, makes no sense. And yep, looks like it. Trans orange and black instead of trans green and black.

Maybe they don't even have eyestalks? I mean, if the head is functioning as the eye color, then what would be the point? I think they may be swapping the mask-knock-off feature for chomping jaws.

Plus, in-story, they may not even wear masks. That could be their face, so a mask-knock-off feature wouldn't be necessary.

This is exactly what I'm hoping is the case (I can't see a point for a mask knock-off feature when the jaw moves with any of the beast sets, that would actually be quite annoying!), but it's hard to tell for sure if tha's the case until the sets are in-hand and reviewed. But at the same time it would be useful for MOC'ing if the heads of the Beasts could also be used as masks (which I think is the case).

This is exactly what I'm hoping is the case (I can't see a point for a mask knock-off feature when the jaw moves with any of the beast sets, that would actually be quite annoying!), but it's hard to tell for sure if tha's the case until the sets are in-hand and reviewed. But at the same time it would be useful for MOC'ing if the heads of the Beasts could also be used as masks (which I think is the case).

I already pointed this out but I think the top of the head is used to give them eyes. And instead of having an eyestalk they have some configuration on the back of the head. As you can see on Lava, the horns connect further back than with the horns we have had before.

Their eyeslits are further away from eachother than on previous sets so they wouldn't even match with the eyestalk if they had it.

Umarak The Destroyer on the other hand uses MoCo and it's dimensions are mostly the same, it's eyeslits have stayed in place so I'd guess he will have a mask pop-off function, but because there's so much mess on the back I doubt the horns and head are even connected together.

Quite honestly while as the set beasts have masks I don't think in the story this is the case or they are masks but they are a former masks turned into mutated mess like on the Mistika Makuta.

I already pointed this out but I think the top of the head is used to give them eyes. And instead of having an eyestalk they have some configuration on the back of the head. As you can see on Lava, the horns connect further back than with the horns we have had before.

Their eyeslits are further away from eachother than on previous sets so they wouldn't even match with the eyestalk if they had it.

Umarak The Destroyer on the other hand uses MoCo and it's dimensions are mostly the same, it's eyeslits have stayed in place so I'd guess he will have a mask pop-off function, but because there's so much mess on the back I doubt the horns and head are even connected together.

Quite honestly while as the set beasts have masks I don't think in the story this is the case or they are masks but they are a former masks turned into mutated mess like on the Mistika Makuta.

And I pointed this out before both of you :laugh:

With that said, if the beast mask do line up differently and there is no eyestalk, then putting the blended Toa masks they come with onto their heads may result in no eyes (resulting in a similar issue to when you flipped Vezon's head around, the ignika didn't have eyes unless you put it on a metru head)

Exactly. It was the same with Kraata. This is why the LEGO Customer Service database has a separate listing for each color combination of the Kraata, but no separate listings for the separate shapes/stages.

They're not the only examples of differently-shaped parts that come off the same mold. Ever wonder why the 2006 and 2007 Bionicle playsets all had the same twelve weapons, and they were listed as just one part in the back of the instructions? They literally all came off the same mold as a cost-cutting measure. The difference with those is that they were all bagged right away instead of just being dumped in a bin and put into sets individually. Lots of LEGO Friends accessories are the same way. The Big Bang Theory set includes a full set of kitchenwares even though it really only needs plates and forks, because LEGO literally can't produce the plates and forks without producing all the other parts that go with them. It's the same principle as the old tool wheels and Belville horse accessories except that LEGO punches them off the sprue for you like they do with all their other parts.

On the one hand, this might mean some sets have more weapons and accessories than they really need, and that the shape of a Krana or Kraata is always random no matter which set you get. But on the other hand, it means LEGO can produce a bunch of new part designs for the cost of just one new mold rather than having to produce a separate mold (and run a separate molding machine) for each design.

That's really interesting! Thanks for the explanation! :)

And I pointed this out before both of you :laugh:

With that said, if the beast mask do line up differently and there is no eyestalk, then putting the blended Toa masks they come with onto their heads may result in no eyes (resulting in a similar issue to when you flipped Vezon's head around, the ignika didn't have eyes unless you put it on a metru head)

Can those heads accommodate the masks with the jaws attached, though? Surely, looking at how they're connected, the sides of the masks wouldn't be able to go back far enough for the masks to connect?

Edited by Logan McOwen

I was thinking that they used the normal eyestalk, but the 'beast mask' had a gap so the brainstalk doesn't push on it and fling it off when the jaws are moved. Not sure about the alternate masks- I was just thinking thosse couldn't attach anyway.

Also, on a way to add friction- I was just thinking that, if a figure has horns, you could use these pinaxles to add a bit of friction without the eyestalk.

Edited by TheDesuComplex

I was thinking that they used the normal eyestalk, but the 'beast mask' had a gap so the brainstalk doesn't push on it and fling it off when the jaws are moved. Not sure about the alternate masks- I was just thinking thosse couldn't attach anyway.

Also, on a way to add friction- I was just thinking that, if a figure has horns, you could use these pinaxles to add a bit of friction without the eyestalk.

That is really clever, the mask with no collision thing you're talking about. The other thing I thought of too, but that's wholies in a halfie and that's bad. (Would put a silly face here but iPhone and eurobricks don't mix)

That happens 3 whole times on the Hunter for his dangling chains. Just got him. Bionicle generation one was my scene, but it never had antlers, longbows, or bear traps. Now I am a true convert.

Speaking of...

Did I do this right?

In terms of new parts and such, I'm pretty satisfied with the summer sets. But as for how they look, I'm undecided on most of the beasts, Ekimu is okay, and Umarak the Destroyer looks amazing, though it is unfortunate that he's lost some of his character in his transformation. But then again, if he's been mutated somehow into a crazy monster. it makes sense that he would lose a lot of his character. :P

Speaking of...

Did I do this right?

Cool! I wonder if that would work with the other 6 Toa Mata and the elemental creatures...

Speaking of...

Did I do this right?

Wow. Never would'a guessed the Creature Head would be able to fit so nicely over Tahu Mata's head.

Reminds me of when I got Stars Tahu into the Exo Toa.

Speaking of Tahu, I decided to get him and Ikir. Ordered them online, so they haven't arrived yet. Should be here shortly.

Still don't know if I'll complete the collection. And after seeing the Technic BWE, I really don't know. Gotta save up for that behemoth.

To think, I only got one Krana per Bohrok yet there in the same mold were the other 7 I lacked... Pooh.

Everyone (who even mentions it) keeps talking like that's still the Mask of Control on Umarak the Destroyer, but what if it's the Mask of Ultimate Power? I think it has all three outcrops on both sides, and the eyes might be the right shape. Look at how understated the Mask of Control turned out to be compared to the animation version. There's also all the runes like the other two have, which seems to add further credibility to my idea. We don't even know what the actual color of the MoUP is, since it was engulfed in smoke or something in the animations, so it could be gold, like all the other significant masks have been so far.

Everyone (who even mentions it) keeps talking like that's still the Mask of Control on Umarak the Destroyer, but what if it's the Mask of Ultimate Power? I think it has all three outcrops on both sides, and the eyes might be the right shape. Look at how understated the Mask of Control turned out to be compared to the animation version. There's also all the runes like the other two have, which seems to add further credibility to my idea. We don't even know what the actual color of the MoUP is, since it was engulfed in smoke or something in the animations, so it could be gold, like all the other significant masks have been so far.

Except... It possesses many features of the Mask of Control already?

That, and the MoCo is the main mask for this year. And Umarak is seen putting it on in the app (or wherever those comics were from) followed by a hint at Umarak's destroyer form.

So I highly doubt it.

I think I might like the ideas behind the summer sets more than the summer sets themselves, they're not super great standalone sets but I think it'll be fun to make something great out of them.

Well, except for Umarak the Hunter, he's pretty perfect as is, trans neon green aside.

I feel the same about 2016 as a whole. Great ideas, but the sets lack, almost entirely due to eveyrone but Onua using the new blade piece and the need for flat, empty backs for the Unity modes. Luckily, it's Lego, so they're not set in stone.

Because you don't need to be a marketing genius to get that if Lego plans out 3 special masks, and has a set storyline for 3 years; we'll probably end up with one mask per year. Last year was the Mask of Creation, this year the Mask of Control, next year the Mask of Ultimate Power.

I can hardly get that people don't seem to see that Lego is going this route, while it's the most obvious one to go by really ._.

-Iben

Because you don't need to be a marketing genius to get that if Lego plans out 3 special masks, and has a set storyline for 3 years; we'll probably end up with one mask per year. Last year was the Mask of Creation, this year the Mask of Control, next year the Mask of Ultimate Power.

I can hardly get that people don't seem to see that Lego is going this route, while it's the most obvious one to go by really ._.

-Iben

Kinda makes me wonder if the Mask of Time that they keep hinting at is their fallback plan for storyline if they go beyond 3 years.