VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

For sake of a warning regarding the waist gimmick. Be careful when trying to loosen the joint by forcibly taking the two pieces apart. The friction can go from tough and squeaky to very slippery (a la Teridax '03) with just a single attempt. Not so bad for Lewa or Pohatu but Onua suffers badly due to his weapon.

I still don't really get why anyone would want to separate the torso bits after first putting them together anyway, the two segments don't really seem all that useful on their own.

Edited by WARHEAD

The most interesting thing from the group shot should be figuring out if that's really trans yellow on Umarak and Storm. I tend to believe the report as they're not that hard to tell apart IRL- trans yellow is very warm. On the other hand, I'm so jaded about it ever appearing at this point I'm not sure what to think.

I heard Ekimu's mask is a gold/tr light blue blend, which I actually find disappointing.

Edited by Shakar

I still don't really get why anyone would want to separate the torso bits after first putting them together anyway, the two segments don't really seem all that useful on their own.

They aren't useful on their own, the purpose is to loosen the joint as in some batches the friction makes it impossible to use the waist gimmick, or very tough with a lot of screeching. The idea is to disassemble it to loosen it but it varies. Sometimes it loosens it only a bit but enough to where it doesn't squeak, other times it doesn't have much effect, and other times it loosens too much making the figure top heavy.

For Nuremberg's CCBS coverage, we'll usually get a group shot of the entire wave's sets (hence it won't be too detailed) and a video (by one particular YouTube channel, I can't remember what it's called). No good pictures, but it'll be our first physical look at the sets!

Atamaii?

I heard Ekimu's mask is a gold/tr light blue blend, which I actually find disappointing.

Me too. Blends are really difficult to use compared to plain versions.

I actually wanted to build a trans light blue Artakha with that one. Not very close to the canon sand green, but it would've made a good contrast to the black and gold Karzahni I'll eventually build. Guess I'll have both of them wear gold now.

I wonder if the Beast heads are blended. I hope the MoCo at least isn't.

LEGO hasn't done that in the past, no. We usually don't get good pictures until NY.

Good pictures, but I was talking about images in general. And last year we had excellent images in January yet.

I'm still curious what mask Ekimu is standing on- My initial thought was Umarak TH's mask in solid black (or gunmetal), but if he puts the MoCo over his regular face and turns into the destroyer that wouldn't make any sense story wise why Ekimu would have that. (Well, not that everything makes sense story-wise, but seems quite random if so)

I'm still curious what mask Ekimu is standing on- My initial thought was Umarak TH's mask in solid black (or gunmetal), but if he puts the MoCo over his regular face and turns into the destroyer that wouldn't make any sense story wise why Ekimu would have that. (Well, not that everything makes sense story-wise, but seems quite random if so)

I thought Umarak removed his mask when putting on the MoCo? At least that's what the game showed.

Actually, just remembered that Umarak has a Hunter Mask but nothing ever came up about it. Wonder if it does something or it's just for the sake of having a mask.

I thought Umarak removed his mask when putting on the MoCo? At least that's what the game showed. Actually, just remembered that Umarak has a Hunter Mask but nothing ever came up about it. Wonder if it does something or it's just for the sake of having a mask.

Yup, I am betting Ekimu has Umarak's discarded mask and part of defeating him will involve removing the MoCo and replacing it with his former mask.

Atamaii?

Yeap, that's it. I'd keep a watch on that channel over the next couple of days.

Pictures from Nuremberg are starting to stream in. Here's hoping we see Bionicle soon!

I thought Umarak removed his mask when putting on the MoCo? At least that's what the game showed.

Actually, just remembered that Umarak has a Hunter Mask but nothing ever came up about it. Wonder if it does something or it's just for the sake of having a mask.

Yup, I am betting Ekimu has Umarak's discarded mask and part of defeating him will involve removing the MoCo and replacing it with his former mask.

Ah fair enough, I only looked at the last panel and it wasn't clear that his mask was removed (until I looked at the one that came before it). I'm certainly down for a solid black or gunmetal version of the mask if that's what it is.

Ah fair enough, I only looked at the last panel and it wasn't clear that his mask was removed (until I looked at the one that came before it). I'm certainly down for a solid black or gunmetal version of the mask if that's what it is.

Haha, in Gen 2 they definitely don't mind swapping out masks and showing the faces beneath them, unlike Gen 1.

Anyway, I hope Ekimu's mask isn't a blend. I would muuuuch prefer a full transparent version, and I think it would be more fun overall. We already have a gold version, so more distinction would be helpful.

Umarak the Destroyer seems to be the only set that doesn't appear to include an extra mask. I hope it's just missing from the preliminary box art, because I'd be up for a recoloured corrupted Mask of Control, in gunmetal or (for maximum G1 homage potential) black. Unless we get that in 2017, if Makuta follows Umarak's path (base form in Winter, final boss form in Summer with the MoUP?).

And I'm also curious to see how Ekimu's shield works. It's not the first wrist mounted shield (HF had a few), but it is the first one sitting on top of a shell instead of replacing it.

Considering he's already wearing the Mask of Control, I doubt we'll see a recolored version in his set as well.

And I'm also curious to see how Ekimu's shield works. It's not the first wrist mounted shield (HF had a few), but it is the first one sitting on top of a shell instead of replacing it.

I was gonna say flick-fire missile, like Laval's shield, but Ekimu's shield seems to be rather far away from the arm, so it could rather be something like this (or a similar build that would allow a rotating feature) :

ekimus10.png

That looks good! The only thing that is missing is the spinning function. That would require a piece without friction, but I don't know which one.

That looks good! The only thing that is missing is the spinning function. That would require a piece without friction, but I don't know which one.

They can always use an axle instead of the axle-pin.

I was gonna say flick-fire missile, like Laval's shield, but Ekimu's shield seems to be rather far away from the arm, so it could rather be something like this (or a similar build that would allow a rotating feature) :

Did you use LDD to take that?

And yeah, I'm too holding for an axle with a stopper there instead. But the use exo-arms seems passable and even more so considerin they do it with the cloak polybag.

Edited by GK733

Ah, you mean the 1/3 axle / 2/3 pin piece from Master Lewa?

That seems more simple and less bulky. Doesn't spin much though, and I except it should since saw blades are pretty synonymous with spinning.

Ah, you mean the 1/3 axle / 2/3 pin piece from Master Lewa?

Doubt it, as this is precisely the part I've used. I think Voxovan was rather talking about something like the new 3M axle with stop. However, I would prefer a system similar to the one used on his 2015 shield, where both the saw and the golden wheel spin together, instead of having each of the two pieces being able to freely spin on their own.

Did you use LDD to take that?

Yes, and I've rendered it with POV-Ray. :sweet:

But the use exo-arms seems passable and even more so considerin they do it with the cloak polybag.

Hehe, while I was building the shield attachment, I was thinking "Hum, this looks weird for a set, but the polybag uses a similar technique, so why not ?" :grin: