VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

So I have a dilemma.

I kinda like the sets, but I kinda don't. I have Umarak, Kopaka, Pohatu, and Ketar, and I'm thinking on picking up another Toa with their respective Creature. I want to like the sets, so I'm basically wondering which is the best combo out of the remaining figures. Maybe something to turn my opinion around and get the rest.

I'm thinking Tahu and Ikir. I've heard good things about Ikir, and Tahu looks pretty cool to me. Plus, Tahu's the poster-boy. Lewa and Uxar were the other ones I was thinking about.

So what do you think I should go for?

Both Lewa and Tahu look good combined and you get the functionality of the wings still working. I think Onua is the best Toa of the wave and would recommend him, though his combo mode isn't anything special.

Just buy all. I don't understand ccbs people. People throw so much money into creator exclusives without blinking an eye, Ferris Wheel, Brick Bank, Detective's Office etc costs same or more than all the 12 sets of the wave. Yet they don't cherry pick, feel guilt or overthink. They even buy multiples "for the parts".

This argument only works if someone is a fan of LEGO and buys exclusively CCBS. If I purchased a whole wave of Bionicle, I'd be trading off the purchase of a larger system set or a Hot Toys figure or an upgrade for my project car (lol). And, if you don't really like the sets, that's just a silly reason to buy them all.

Obviously costs are different for everyone, $200 seems petty compared to a 35K car I've been looking at, but every amount of money you spend will have a trade-off, It's not how cheap something is, it's what you'd rather spend your money on.

Let's do some basic analysis. Ccbs has a horrible price per part ratio. But it's inherently expensive to produce. It's a non licensed theme, which means they don't give cuts to Disney, unlike SW constraction. They are as cheap as they can get. They get new mask moulds everytime, and they never come back, ever. Which means you own an important piece of history. Hell, even basic armour parts, like the Hero shields are discontinued. I understand if one would overthink when getting system sets, but doing so for limited ccbs moulds is weird, even.

While that may be true, Bionicle parts like masks that are 10-15 years old still hardly fetch high prices on Bricklink, unless it's an occasional rare item like the protopack chrome Hau or a VMKK or something.

Despite the fact that (or maybe because?) I get my sets provided by LEGO (for which I am eternally grateful), I'm always super conscious of how people have to spend their money on getting sets. Six, seven years ago, I was a kid with a decent allowance, so I could afford everything. Now that I have to work for my money, it's a lot harder to justify dropping that kind of cash, and it's the same way for a lot of people. That's why I try and structure my reviews around reasons you should BUY, and not just GET, a given set.

I fall into a similar situation. Of course this time around EB was not offered the Star Wars sets, and while I would love to bring reviews of them here, I have to weight out those costs.

Not sure if I said before but yeah. The wave as a whole is mixed but I do like it so far, though I haven't got any of the creatures yet besides Melum.

I put the problems down to a few things.

First, the torso. It's both a blessing and an annoyance at the same time. I prefer it to the CCBS torso in that there's room to customise it without being extraneous like Darth Vader's CCBS set. On the other hand it feels 1M too tall and the waist function is annoyingly inconsistent.

The torso shell is overly detailed much to the chagrin of a majority of fans but I'll admit it's grown on me. I just wish it was slightly less detailed and allowed for the addition/removal of a superhero chestpiece or a similar alternative like the Kalmah version of the Hordika foot where it's similar but not the same.

That blade piece is cool and it works really well with the gimmick but I don't think they did enough to differentiate the weapons compared to last year.

Colour distribution is questionable and the trans-colours are a smidge overused IMO (Pohatu's cool but those nuclear arms are eye-searing).

Well I bought the whole line of sets last year and I'm more than likely going to do so this year. Even though Bionicle doesn't seem to be Lego's largest theme, their distribution might be quite iffy. I really do like the look of the sets and when I get them in hand I'll probably enjoy them a lot more. To me the waist articulation is the best thing that lego could have done. It adds so much personality, to the figures, although the arms are to short.

Space is my primary concern. I bought all of last year's Toa, and between Bionicle, Star Wars, and Superheroes, I'm running out of space real quick.

On another topic, quick question: Has anyone tried using Tamashii stages to display their figures in "flying" poses? I'm thinking of purchasing one, but I don't know if a Tamashii stage can support the weight of a Lego CCBS figure. After all, Tamashii stages are made primarily for Gundam model kits, which are comparatively lighter. Alternatively, are there any (transparent, preferably) stands out there that might support a Lego CCBS figure?

Edited by Lockon Stratos

I have a hard time believing a Tamashii stage can hold a Toa when it can barely hold a Figuart. Gundams aren't usually advertised for use with Tamashii stages, they're advertised with Action bases, which use a sturdy support design that could easily hold a Toa if you can find a way to attach it. (and yes, Action Bases come in clear, too)

I'm gonna get all the Toa to upgrade the Masters. I'll use the leftovers for, well, other Toa!

The end of the Mask of Control game shows a shadowed Umarak the Destroyer. It seems the model used for his feet is General Grievous, but I wonder if the Mask in the very last panel is the Winter Mask of Control or a more detailed glimpse at the Summer Mask of Control.

Sooooo what Creatures you all think will look good combined with the summer sets?

Edited by MakutaOfWar

Depends on whether the Beasts are supposed to combine with Umarak the Destroyer or not. I think Terak + Quake Beast might be the only reasonably color-coordinated combo.

Depends on whether the Beasts are supposed to combine with Umarak the Destroyer or not. I think Terak + Quake Beast might be the only reasonably color-coordinated combo.

This I think is one thing that bothers me the most about the summer sets... no idea if/how the beasts combine with anything. I hope they do, it's such a fun concept and too good to waster.

Do you guys think that bionic is selling well? Like the U.S.A. version of legoshop@home sold basically the entire winter wave at half price, and I know LEGO doesn't put sets on sale unless they aren't selling well. I fear that Bionicle might even be cut short a year at this rate. It is rather unfortunate that construction in these past years hasn't been that eye catching like it used to be.

Do you guys think that bionic is selling well? Like the U.S.A. version of legoshop@home sold basically the entire winter wave at half price, and I know LEGO doesn't put sets on sale unless they aren't selling well. I fear that Bionicle might even be cut short a year at this rate. It is rather unfortunate that construction in these past years hasn't been that eye catching like it used to be.

There are too many factors that go into the pricing and sales of sets that we really can't determine anything from it.

With that said, LEGO usually publishes and discusses their financial and Annual Report around the end of February, there's no telling what will be highlighted but if we are going to hear anything about Bionicle's performance, that would be the time.

I'll do the easy one first. Five new sets as listed in the database. I am not an Bionicle expert and I know I will get slated for saying this but, honestly, they are really just more of the same. Four of the were standard sized figures with nothing to distinguish them from others except for a new spiky armor piece that looks like a molar tooth in shape. The larger Umarak the Destroyer is not much different to his current Hunter incarnation except for a darker colour scheme. We didn't speak to the LEGO person manning the Bionicle stand so can't confirm this, but BArry who was there today from BrickFanatics is reporting that the storyline is being simplified to avoid confusing youngsters. That might explain the apparent lack of innovation.

Brickset description is up.

It seems like at every toy fair, constraction always gets the least coverage, and the coverage that is there is by people who don't really care.

Edited by NetherCreeper

Brickset description is up.

Typical Huw :) I wish Brickset had one staff member in England who gave two pence about Bionicle but it seems all their staff and associates (like Jangbricks) who would get excited about Bionicle are Americans...

At least it was an honest evaluation, and in a sense to a non-constraction fan like Huw, Bionicle is always the same.

As for Bionicle sale data; my hometown newspaper published kid's Christmas lists that they wrote at school. Only one kid asked for Bionicle for Christmas, the majority of kids wanted... Lego Minecraft. Now it remains a mystery to me why kids would want an overpriced pile of 2X4 bricks instead of Bionicle sets (or anything else Lego for that matter)... I see it on the toy shelves in town too, Lego Minecraft everywhere and very little Bionicle. Now I enjoy playing Minecraft; but I am baffled at how Mojong and Microsoft have managed to convince every kid to rush to the store to buy merchandise up...

Plan to sell more Bionicle: Introduce a Bionicle skin pack for Minecraft :P

P.S. If everyone here is concerned Bionicle sales are bad, they should join us in Train Tech. It could be a club, "AFOLS Sad about Constraction and Train Sales!" :)

Edited by xboxtravis7992

I can't really blame people if they aren't covering everything. The sets do look pretty meh, like while I love G2, there isn't much for it to stand out. The story being even more simplified, has to be a joke. Man Bionicle just seems to have been brought back to shut people up.

Bionicle would stand out a lot more if they bothered to use more non-humanoid builds. They creatures were pretty good from that point of view, but then all humanoids for the summer wave. You'd think Beasts would be more bestial, but apparently bestial = humanoid. Unintentional social commentary is just the best. [/sarcasm]

Umarak the Destroyer is not much different to his current Hunter incarnation except for a darker colour scheme.

Um. He's using an XL chest plate, has a new head arrangement, claws with gear functions, and an overall completely different aesthetic. That seems significantly different to me.

And apparently he's using dark brown, dark red and tr. light blue (see comments of the article)? That's...weird, to say the least.

That's...completely different than what we saw. Which means those were very, very early preliminary pictures.

And Umarak is 18 pounds, doesn't that mean he's Kopaka+Melum's price?

Um. He's using an XL chest plate, has a new head arrangement, claws with gear functions, and an overall completely different aesthetic. That seems significantly different to me.

And apparently he's using dark brown, dark red and tr. light blue (see comments of the article)? That's...weird, to say the least.

That's...completely different than what we saw. Which means those were very, very early preliminary pictures.

And Umarak is 18 pounds, doesn't that mean he's Kopaka+Melum's price?

Keep in mind this is coming from Huw, who remarked that Gen2 looks identical to Gen1 last year. Don't have anything against him, but wish people like Jangbricks or other construction fans went to Toy fairs too so we could get more detailed descriptions than this.