VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

Seems like Bionicle is also not as popular in The Netherlands. Last year we had the sets in Januari and August but according to the dutch Lego catalogue, we're supposed to get them in March now. WTF?! Why not just Januari like most other countries? We're right next to Germany where Lego is the most popular, so why put the Netherlands in a disadvantage? Just seems wrong to me, the fact that Poland isn't getting the 2016 sets at all is a disgrace really.

Prelims for the summer wave are out in case you haven't seen em yet.

I can't remember if linking is bad but I know we've usually been allowed to do it. I'm on mobile so it's harder to link

Edited by VBBN
Link removed.

I can't remember if linking is bad but I know we've usually been allowed to do it. I'm on mobile so it's harder to link

imgur.com/3tArnID,DiBDLVm,VFqL0uR,Ez5g7nc,BFS2aOi

Wow! these are getting saved. Initial impressions are they look cool but the beasts dont feel bionicle-y to me yet. Hopefully they will grow. Umrak and Ekimu took some 'roids! Ekimu is serious power over 9000 now!

Edit: Just figured out Umrak is wearing the mask of control....but more mutated.

Edited by MightySlickPancake

Last year we had the sets in Januari and August but according to the dutch Lego catalogue, we're supposed to get them in March now. WTF?! Why not just Januari like most other countries?

That's more a supply thing. Lego has done this many times before, such as with Hero Factory in 2014 and Ninjago this year in the US. It isn't really because it isn't selling well but moreso Lego can produce other things.

I'm going to wait for Toyfair to give my full opinions. But first impressions from these prelims are not looking good to me. But cause there prelims they can change.

We've actually been talking about them for a few pages now. And if I'm not mistaken linking to preliminary pictures of sets is totally forbidden here, so I suggest you edit your message to delete the link.

Edited by Darking

Yeah... those don't look so great. Umarak the destroyer is cool but completely different than his hunter form. Ekimu has some mice trans blue but is just... generic looking. The beasts have really cool heads but they look really skeletal and thrown together, also disappointing that they are all humanoid. The mutated masks are neat though, with Onua getting a silver and trans yellow?, Kopaka getting silver and trans apple green and Tahu getting silver and trans light green. Ekimu looks like he has a new black mask that he's standing on, it doesn't really look umarak's mask but it could be.

Can't say I care for these more than I do for the already pretty messy winter wave. The purple guy looks sorta interesting I guess? For the parts if nothing else.

Edited by WARHEAD

So I guess I can scratch everything I said about how Bionicle is selling nowadays... I went to my local toy store to buy the new sets, but it turned out that the shop didn't have the new Bionicle stuff, and they won't get any, and those sets won't even be released in my country.

The winter wave is currently available on LEGO Shop Poland, which leads me to think that whomever told you that was wrong. The folks at shops are, in my experience, variably informed. I remember being told by a Toys R Us employee, in December of 2014, that BIONICLE was an old theme they didn't stock any more.

The mutated masks are neat though, with Onua getting a silver and trans yellow?, Kopaka getting silver and trans apple green and Tahu getting silver and trans light green.

All of them look black and trans-bright-green to me tbh. And let's not fall for "it's trans yellow" again; by now we should know that's probably trans-neon-green xD

-Iben

The winter wave is currently available on LEGO Shop Poland, which leads me to think that whomever told you that was wrong. The folks at shops are, in my experience, variably informed. I remember being told by a Toys R Us employee, in December of 2014, that BIONICLE was an old theme they didn't stock any more.

Yes, the sets are available on LEGO Shop (that's where I got some of my sets from), the website got an update in Polish, the Polish translations are on the European boxes, the sets are listed in the Polish catalog, that's why I was so confused when I heard that they're not going to be released here. Again, I thought that it must be some misunderstanding, but the same thing occured to other people in various different cities. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but now I'm really worried about this theme's future.

Both online and normal shops here seem to get 5 of each set (5 of Umaraks). Whether that's how it's allways been or not I can't tell.

I do think that in G1 you could see more than 5 on the shelves in a store though.

I guess we will have to wait for 2017 and see if there will be any 2018 leaks

So, it's a bit early to judge these sets, as they're merely prelimns, but anyway:

• The Destroyer, despite what anyone says, is just how I imagined (color scheme aside): a hulking brute. Though I'd propably shorten the claws and/or horns and add a few more bulk to the legs to balance it out. And though I imagined him as a brute, I hope they don't turn him bestial; only more rampage-prone.
  • Ekimu has the opposite of Tahu's problem - too little gold (or maybe trans-blue too concentrated in one spot; we really need a two-piece torso). Can't see much with the trans, but the build doesn't seem bad...but it doesn't seem good either.
  • Of all the Beasts, Storm is the best, but only because it's the most bestial-looking. All of them are too bipedal, Quake Beast's pose reminds me too much of 2015 Onua, and Lava Beast has hand-held weapons? No; just, no.

On a sidenote: I've been waiting since August for the 2015 Summer sets to come to my local TRU; up until December, all I saw was a few Masters and Protectors, and if the site was to be believed, they weren't in other parts of my country either. And now, I just went there and saw...the 2016 Creatures. And only the Creatures.

What?! :damn:

Edited by The Outsider

I like Umarak the Destroyer, since it really looks like the Mask of Control mutated him and, ironically, lost control. Typical "power corrupts" shtick. Ekimu's alright. The beasts don't really get any sort of reaction from me.

I've been looking at the image of the summer sets some more, and I'm starting to warm up to Ekimu and Umarak the Destroyer's designs (still won't be getting them), but the beast still do absolutely nothing for me.

UmarakTD doesn't actually appear to be that large when you look at his pieces in person, namely the XL torso and kaiju fins. Plus his upper legs look to be the same as his Hunter form, only his lower legs are larger.

Still, he's probably around 24.99, so that's decent enough. Considering inflation(in the states) that's about the worth of a 09' Titan. Now, if he's 29.99, well, just have to wait until NYTF to see if he's worth it.

Also, it seems Quake doesn't use the new torso, the ribcage piece is set lower than the others. On that note, Storm's tail-trap; where exactly does that connect? Wouldn't it obstruct the gear function? Additionally, the shadow traps- it seems all of the enemies have the components to make one: UTD with his foot claws, Lava(where's his trap?) with his foot claws, Quake with his claws, and Storm's claws.

And curious about that piston looking thing on the back of Storm. Ahh, I love leak season.

Edited by MakutaOfWar

I actually really like how Ekimu is looking. The trans blue doesn't bother me at all (Though you know something is wrong when tahu has more gold than Ekimu...), in fact I prefer it to essentially getting tahu with trans blue instead of orange. While I have distaste for the piston torso piece, I think it could look quite good in trans light blue.

Lava(where's his trap?)

I think it might be raised up behind him, since you can see an unidentifiable large part behind his head that's not a part of the face or horns.

Also, it seems Quake doesn't use the new torso, the ribcage piece is set lower than the others. On that note, Storm's tail-trap; where exactly does that connect? Wouldn't it obstruct the gear function?

Storm doesn't use the Uniter Torso, he uses the standard HF one. Quake I'm not sure about, he either uses a custom solution or a flipped small torso.

Storm doesn't have any open balljoints like the 2015 Toa, though.

Could it be that both use the SW torso?

Well the new sets look alright nothing stand out about them really.

Umarak looks alright, though I'd need to see the final version before I pass judgement, I'll still get him though it's not like he'd be the worst set from G2.

Ekimu I never saw as being a seventh Toa, I saw him more as a wise mentor that could help the toa, but as a toa himself? Hmmm. Now he looks okay, nothing really exciting from him and really hope there is some gold to break up his color scheme.

The beasts look really cool , but I'd need to see them in a more finalized scenario or in person to really form a final opinion.

Overall I will be buying them, just depends on wether or not I'm excited for them.

Storm doesn't have any open balljoints like the 2015 Toa, though.

Could it be that both use the SW torso?

Storm does have some exposed ballpoints, but they're in front of the Skeleton torso yet below the SH chest. It doesn't look like the SH addon is attached to the Skeleton shell so maybe he uses two torso bones. Or perhaps something else entirely.

Edited by Dr_Chronos

I've bought Kopaka (and Melum) today (first 2016 set for me). I actually enjoyed building it more than all the previous Bionicle Gen 2 sets. Overall it is a good set, but the armour piece used for the arms is too big and the dark blue colour feels out of place.

Together with Melum, it looks better, but of course it limits the movement.

I really like all the new "Bionicle" pieces.

These are my first impressions.

Another interesting thing is that Gali looks really good in her Unity mode with her normal mask on instead of her gold one, and the golden mask looks great.

Yeah, I figured the silver mask would look good on the Toa with creatures with silver heads.