VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

Seems like Barnes & Noble is the place to go. A few reports of people finding these there. Too bad there's none even close to me. :(

It seems pretty hit or miss, as I have 5 Barnes and nobles that I can drive to quickly and easily around me and, after calling all of them, apparently none of them stock the new Bionicles... One even gave me the amusing answer that Bionicle was discontinued several years ago and replaced with "this new thing called Nexo Factory or Hero Knights..." At least that gave me quite a laugh once I hung up the phone...

Apparently even Lego knows which element they didn't design well. I just got the January 2016 catalog, and both Pohatu and Ketar are completely missing. :tongue:

Edited by Umbra-Manis

Apparently even Lego knows which element they didn't design well. I just got the January 2016 catalog, and both Pohatu and Ketar are completely missing. :tongue:

Don't jinx us... it could be which element doesn't SELL well, considering what happened to Stone sets back in G1. I hope not, because I quite like the designs of the stone sets we've gotten so far in G2, and would rather not return to yellows and oranges...

Don't jinx us... it could be which element doesn't SELL well, considering what happened to Stone sets back in G1. I hope not, because I quite like the designs of the stone sets we've gotten so far in G2, and would rather not return to yellows and oranges...

Sadly this could very well lead to it. I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the dark orange entirely from his next version.

Edited by GK733

The Stone sets are the most underrated Bionicle sets ever. It's a massive shame, because I've quite liked their designs myself, especially newer designs that we've gotten now. Master Pohatu was simple, but effective. Nilkuu shared in that design, but came included with an awesome weapon which we hadn't seen before in Bionicle. Ketar is another odd creation from the Stone world, but it's intriguing and it makes sense for the character. Uniter Pohatu is, for me at least, an improvement of an already good set which we got in 2015. But...colours-wise....I would hope they stick with dark tan, brown or dark orange. Just....they need to get the design of the next Pohatu just right. I don't even know what that means myself.

I honestly would be okay with a return to normal brown if we're using dark tan, I think it works better personally but that's just me.

EDIT: Posted this in the Gali review but I feel it's applicable generally so I'll add it here too.

One problem I've seen brought up is the peculiar proportions the sets have, and it's a valid point, though I'm glad some change is being attempted, the torso looked a smidge small on the Masters but nothing too bad, and hey, waist articulation. That's really nice to have! However some sets do look a bit...well weird somehow, despite all having the same length of arms. Figured out what's bugging me in that.

Onua and Tahu don't have bad proportions with the exception of the latter's lankiness, same with Kopaka, but then we get to the three smaller toa. The legs don't bother me much on them and they look balanced, but the shoulder placement is too high on them, higher by one module than the taller toa who have longer legs/thicker builds. This sticks out horribly on Gali and Lewa as their hands don't go much further than the hips, Pohatu's are very slightly better. But hey, nothing a few mods can't fix eh?

Oh, and Umarak is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

TLDR Smaller toa have shoulders higher than larger toa giving them proportions that make the torso look like a greebled banana.

Edited by MakutaDreadscythe

Found DCPI numbers for the entire wave... Doesn't seem to be any near me though...

Gali Uniter of Water

204-00-1541

Onua Uniter of Earth

204-00-1542

Umarak the Hunter

204-00-1544

Pohatu Uniter of Stone

204-00-1540

Kopaka and Melum Unity Set

204-00-1545

Tahu Uniter of Fire

204-00-1543

Lewa Uniter of Jungle

204-00-1539

Creature of Earth

204-00-1538

Creature of Fire

204-00-1537

Creature of Water

204-00-1536

Creature of Stone

204-00-1535

Creature of Jungle

204-00-1534

Seems like Barnes & Noble is the place to go. A few reports of people finding these there. Too bad there's none even close to me. :(

I can somewhat confirm this. I spotted a few 2016 sets in a Barnes & Noble in Miami(Galli, Terak, Tahu, Kopaka/Melum Unity). I couldn't buy them though since i'm there for vacation and they wouldn't fit in the suitcase.

I tried the Miami Lego Store as well since I found sets before they are supposed to be released in official Lego stores before but no luck there.

Sadly this could very well lead to it. I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the dark orange entirely from his next version.

Yeah, this is my worry too. I made very specifically to point out in my reviews that it's not the fault of the color, just the design of the sets =P. I can't imagine, what with their three-year plan, that they would actually change it radically next year, but still.

So, I've been absent from EB for quite some time (thanks to various other stuff to do, also, Smash Bros. and Xenoblade Chronicles X demanding my attention), and suddenly the new Bonkles were already reviewed. Huh.

I have mixed feelings about this wave. I don't like the large torso shells, and the proportions of the Toa look rather awkward to me (I never liked the slim but tall design, especially not with those short arms). Also, the masks and the new sword piece are hit and miss, some look very nice (I really like Lewa's new mask), others look rather ugly (most colorations of the new sword piece don't do it for me... probably because mixing silver with a solid colour isn't as appealing). And the huge focus on metallic colours, especially gold, kind of puts me off. But of course there's also stuff like the new hip articulation, which I will most likely get anyway for the sake of some MOCing, and some of the smaller creatures look decent enough for me.

But nonetheless, Nexo Knights already got dibs on my wallet. I will certainly pick up a few of the new Bionicle sets, but not before I have gotten some of the Nexo Knights stuff.

The torso shell isn't actually very long, it's actually the new torso "bone" that's a few studs longer than the typical one found last year.

I'm also not rushing out the door for the new sets. I think it's because I plan to heavily modify many of them, and I always get the sets I mod the most last. (hence why I still haven't finished the skull villains)

The torso shell isn't actually very long, it's actually the new torso "bone" that's a few studs longer than the typical one found last year.

I feel like LEGO made the new torso piece to appease the fans of the more complex builds of gen 1, I like the gen 1 builds better, but the torsos are too long, and the arms are too short.

I feel like LEGO made the new torso piece to appease the fans of the more complex builds of gen 1, I like the gen 1 builds better, but the torsos are too long, and the arms are too short.

The legs of the 2016 sets are in decent proportion with the torso. With the 2015 sets the arms and legs were longer than usual for the torso.

They're up on the LEGO shop in the UK for purchase now! Begin the hype.

Still waiting for Amazon. I believe it took a few days last year.

Has anyone had the nerve to try and stick the new waist piece into a 6 stud barrel to see if they would connect?

I tried it both ways, and unless I was doing it wrong somehow, they don't fit.

I tried it both ways, and unless I was doing it wrong somehow, they don't fit.

That's good it means people won't get them stuck in each other.

Well, I've gone and ordered the sets I wanted from Lego. They should be here soon.

• Lewa and Uxar
  • Onua and Terak
  • Kopaka and Melum
  • Ikir
  • Umarak