VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

I just noticed that in the photo of Gali and Akida together in that BZP review, Gali has a black axle in her hand. I know that Lego still produces them, but I didn't expect to see those parts in Bionicle after all these years of red axles. Nice.

The red axles were never a huge deal to me, but I certainly welcome the return of the black ones. Nice touch.

Yet Onua uses 2 different sizes of bones in trans purple that look far more similar to each other than they do to the grey bone, the only difference being a single pin hole, so why not color code those?

Actually, that's why Onua has a Light Bley pin attached to one of his legs. That way the pieces can't be confused since you need the pin hole to follow the instructions accordingly.

Actually, that's why Onua has a Light Bley pin attached to one of his legs. That way the pieces can't be confused since you need the pin hole to follow the instructions accordingly.

That's actually pretty clever.

I suppose that's also why Tahu has those pins in the back of his legs. Seems to be a design trend from now on.

Edited by Dr_Chronos

HUH so that's how those are meant to do. That's clever and adds some detailing too. Maybe I could start doing it on my MOCs and some past sets too.

One of the many reasons makes me grateful about names coming back is that we won't have anymore a situation like the one we had with Skull Grinder.

Any of you that has googled his name will agree that it was a terrible choice for a children toy.

One of the many reasons makes me grateful about names coming back is that we won't have anymore a situation like the one we had with Skull Grinder.

Any of you that has googled his name will agree that it was a terrible choice for a children toy.

There's literally one result in the first page of results for "skull grinder" that is apparently a grinder being sold for use with marijuana, but it's downright irrational to suggest the word "grinder" should be off-limits because one of the many things people "grind" is a recreational drug. People sometimes "cut" liquor or drugs (i.e. reduce their potency), does that mean the name of Toa Mahri Matoro's Twin Cutter weapon was a "terrible choice for a children's toy"? People refer to smoking weed as "blazing it", does that mean the name of Toa Hordika Vakama's Blazer Claws was a "terrible choice for a children's toy"? It's a downright irrational argument.

Edited by Aanchir

There's literally one result in the first page of results for "skull grinder" that is apparently a grinder being sold for use with marijuana, but it's downright irrational to suggest the word "grinder" should be off-limits because one of the many things people "grind" is a recreational drug. People sometimes "cut" liquor or drugs (i.e. reduce their potency), does that mean the name of Toa Mahri Matoro's Twin Cutter weapon was a "terrible choice for a children's toy"? People refer to smoking weed as "blazing it", does that mean the name of Toa Hordika Vakama's Blazer Claws was a "terrible choice for a children's toy"? It's a downright irrational argument.

I-I-I forgot that Google adapts the results basing on previous searches by the user. This is embarrassing.

I guess I shoud've bitten my tongue before writing that comment.

EDIT: actually it's the same for me, but if you go to the images section it's mostly grinders.

EDIT 2.0: cut and blaze are fairly generic words, and as a not-native english speaker "grinder" rings mostly one specific bell. Then again, if LEGO Italy made the tremendously difficult job of translating the sets' names we wouldn't even have this problem.

Edited by TwistLaw

I was wondering why all the images on Google where of metal skulls.... Now it makes sense. At least all the webpage results though are Ekimu and Kulta! Good ol' G-Rated Lego fun...

The idea of Kulta getting stoned with Ekimu in the forge is hilarious to me.

"Dude.... I'm like, a talking robot voodoo skeleton witch doctor who's tryin' to destroy your fancy mask that has super powers or something. Is that weird, or what?"

EDIT 2.0: cut and blaze are fairly generic words, and as a not-native english speaker "grinder" rings mostly one specific bell

Interesting. I live in a state in the US where recreational marijuana is legal, and I've never heard the term grinder used for any legal or illicit drugs or associated with any of them, save one- coffee. Might be because I manage a coffee shop, but I had a hard time not thinking of coffee bean grinders when I hear the term.

Interesting. I live in a state in the US where recreational marijuana is legal, and I've never heard the term grinder used for any legal or illicit drugs or associated with any of them, save one- coffee. Might be because I manage a coffee shop, but I had a hard time not thinking of coffee bean grinders when I hear the term.

As a non-coffee drinker; I can imagine coffee as an illegal drug. So Coffee Grinder vs, Mask Maker sounds pretty dangerous too...

Emmett: "Instructions:Buy overpriced coffee."

Skull Grinder: "That will be $20 please."

pause

Emmett: "Awesome!"

Umarak teaser pics by Nuju Metru!

https://www.flickr.c...ru/23294932829/

Sweet! Looking forward to that.

Umarak's shoulders look like they sit really low. With the way the Hordika necks are connected there, I wonder if he'd look good with the shoulders raised one module. There must've been a reason why Lego made his shoulders so low.

I think I like his legs overall. They flow better than I thought.

I'm slightly disappointed his shoulder armour isn't silver, but it's minor.

The rest of him looks absolutely amazing. Favourite BIONICLE villain in a long while, maybe in my top 5.

Heh, I actually built his leg earlier just to test the articulation. Fairly decent, IMO. He definitely seems more like a 'titan' sized figure, at least in the piece count. Wasn't really expecting a €/$19.99(euro correct?) figure to get in the 170 pieces range again. I'm not complaining, no sir.

He does feel he's at a higher price point than Tahu and Onua, though he has less large shells.

Onua has full CCBS limbs and three large torso shells, Tahu has one torso shell but has four weapon parts.

But Tahu is as tall as Umarak and has less stuff going on. Onua does have a better value than Tahu now that I think about it, with Umarak beating him by a bit .

Not sure if anybody else has noticed, but it seems Umarak's Piece of Unification (PoU?) is gunmetal! I'm not particularly a fan of the piece, but a unique recolour is always nice to see.