VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

Terak looks pretty great. The Tr.Bl.Violet does indeed look far less fluorescent, but it isn't too bad and a lot of the purple-ness still comes through well. His function actually works pretty well and I am glad to see there is a bit of friction in there thanks to the pin. He stands really fine on his own and doesn't feel like an accessory to Onua (which I was afraid of). I saw the hollow head coming and think it is an alright compromise- if you really want a jaw, you can probably create something using the bars on the back.

All this is not to say that Onua is great. Sure, he doesn't look quite as chunky as his Master version, but he still looks like pretty much the same Toa. The torso piece does look a bit messy, but I am glad they smoothed out the ridges on the detail a bit. I'm sad to see that the crystal piece is blended with Tr.Clear, but I think it still sorta works. It's also nice to see that Shakar and me where damn close on the torso bone. It does look beautiful in the flesh and I'm glad to see that they found a way to work in some more friction.

In my opinion, 2015 Onua has an extremely generic and cliqued physique used to signal strength, so the 2016 physique is better even if the use of angled technic connectors doesn't look that good.

I really feel like a lot of personality was lost with this Onua in comparison to his 2015 form, something of a trend with these figures for me.

Also I'm not a fan of this new "no build photos" thing BZP is doing. I don't like video reviews and if I wanted to watch a video review I would be on YouTube, when you have a photo review it should be comprehensive.

I don't know why he did that, we haven't updated our review guidelines. My reviews will have the building section. My video will too even though that's the section I want to skip in videos.

For Onua 2015 I put his golden mask on right away because I find that the black mask makes him look dark. However for Onua 2016 I think I'd put the black mask on because the contrast with Terak's head is striking. It gives the feeling that Onua is wearing a crown. The gold mask can't give that.

I agree with this, and it's the main reason I actually prefer the combined forms of the Creatures with the silver heads. Sometimes you actually want to have contrast, and the silver-headed Creatures provide that and make the result (with silver and transparent creature heads and gold Toa masks) even more ornate-looking than gold alone could be.

That said, the Onua review pretty much cemented my feelings on the set—the only major flaw is a lack of distinctiveness compared to this year's Onua. When considered on its own merits, the new Onua is great, and I like him a lot more than this year's Tahu and Kopaka.

2016 Onua is a crime against 2015 Onua, Bionicle, and Good Taste as a Whole.

But, he comes with some purdy recolors.

Edited by CabooseBM

2016 Onua is a crime against 2015 Onua, Bionicle, and Good Taste as a Whole.

That's completely your opinion.

Edited by lambda_cla3391

I think all of the sets look really good... all except Ketar and Pohatu. I don't know what LEGO was thinking, but THREE different shades of brown is just... no. Never do that again. Choose a brown and stick with it, because otherwise one of the browns begins looking like it belongs in the toilet...

I'm really really happy that Uniter Onua has Transparent purple studs. And the fact that he comes with 12 (plus maybe one extra) of them means that they won't to be too terribly expensive when they become available on bricklink. Korgot can now rock the transparent stud shooter like all the other protectors.

Onua looks quite good, and he's definitely one of the better Toa sets this wave, but it still hurts to see him next to 2015 Onua. I feel that he had a lot more personality than this year's variant.

I'm also beyond disappointed that the new torso piece has the gear connection molded in, but what can you do?

Edited by Mesonak

That's completely your opinion.

One he will never let us forget it seems.

Then again, if 2016 Onua is a crime against the stout, awkward and ugly 2015 Onua, no way would any jury convict it. :laugh:

EDIT: Oh right, I forgot to say I like 2016 (obviously) but I do think he lacks a bit of his own thing, so I'll try and bulk him up a bit and just generally give him something of his "own." It's weird that I really do like the 2016 Toa, but I plan to modify them way more than I did my 2015 Toa. (barring troll Onua who I kinda totally revamped)

Edited by One Very Agile Cat

Onua looks fantastic. As with this year, he looks to be a probable highlight of the wave. He's a distinct yet recognizable iteration of the same character.

I don't see the problem with the torso. No one complained about half of this year's Toa or two-thirds of the Protectors having the same torso, did they? It helps to distinguish 2016's Onua from his 2015 counterpart. He looks quite distinct from the rest of the Uniters.

Onua looks quite good, and he's definitely one of the better Toa sets this wave, but it still hurts to see him next to 2015 Onua. I feel that he had a lot more personality than this year's variant.

I'm also beyond disappointed that the new torso piece has the gear connection molded in, but what can you do?

My thoughts exactly. On his own Uniter Onua looks great, but when he's put next to his Master version... they look more like brothers than an evolution. '15 had a little too much bulk, and now '16 has too little.

I'll still be getting him because I love Onua, he has good recolors, and I feel the need to fix his flaws.

The gear being molded in is also a con for me, unlike the gearbox of this year it won't be possible to use that mechanism for a smaller set.

I actually... quite still dislike Onua. The arm connection is just too gappy. Would these worked better? http://img.bricklink.com/PL/11946.jpg

In place of what exactly? The whole shoulder area needs a little more to cover it.

Knew it from the start :wink:

But what I only recently thought and sadly seems to have occured is that the hip is useless with everything expect the upper torso due it's special connection.

In place of what exactly? The whole shoulder area needs a little more to cover it.

Mainly to replace the black bohrok eye.

Edited by GK733

Knew it from the start :wink:

But what I only recently thought and sadly seems to have occured is that the hip is useless with everything expect the upper torso due it's special connection.

Maybe we'll see another torso part that connects to it later on? (since CCBS is spreading into Star Wars now)
Good Idea, though if there was actually a bigger gap you could probably sneak in CCBS shells (or something) to widened it ala 2015. Only it wouldn't look as weird on a taller set. Edited by One Very Agile Cat

I don't see the problem with the torso. No one complained about half of this year's Toa or two-thirds of the Protectors having the same torso, did they? It helps to distinguish 2016's Onua from his 2015 counterpart. He looks quite distinct from the rest of the Uniters.

I can agree that the torso makes him look distinct from his predecessor, but compared to the rest of the Uniters? Who all use the same torso? Not really. The wide shoulders help but they look rather gappy from the front and can only do so much.

Maybe, the Bohrok eyes mostly help the little gaps from the side so I'm not sure how much it would help. I'm thinking of adding some black 3-length shells to the glatorian necks.

Another thing I just noticed after reviewing the pictures is that Onua (and I'm guessing the rest of the Toa) look very flat from the side. Most likely to make room for the combo.

Yeah, the flatness seems to be for the combo, so the creature's various limbs can reach whatever part of the toa they need to sensually effectively wrap around.

BTW, the best part of this set for me personally is the mask size. Finally Onua's mask isn't puny compared to everyone else, so he's not a pinhead anymore. Usually everything else on a set can be fixed, but there's no helping 2015 Onua's undersized mask.

I think all of the sets look really good... all except Ketar and Pohatu. I don't know what LEGO was thinking, but THREE different shades of brown is just... no. Never do that again. Choose a brown and stick with it, because otherwise one of the browns begins looking like it belongs in the toilet...

I really like the new Pohatu's color scheme. It gives him a real scrappy appearance, like his armor is weathered and patched together. I will admit that the Reddish Brown on Ketar is not that great, but Pohatu only has three Reddish Brown parts, with one on his back and two on his weapon. If I had to make a single change it would be swapping the Tr. Fluor. Green shells on his arms for silver ones, because the transparent shells on transparent beams break up the flow of his arms and make his hands look almost like they're not even connected.

BTW, the best part of this set for me personally is the mask size. Finally Onua's mask isn't puny compared to everyone else, so he's not a pinhead anymore. Usually everything else on a set can be fixed, but there's no helping 2015 Onua's undersized mask.

It sort of depends on how you look at it. Yes, Master's Onua mask was small, but for some reason whenever I displayed Onua by himself his small mask actually made him look bigger. I suppose his small head gave off the appearance of is body being bigger. Sadly it only works by himself, putting him next to another Toa breaks the illusion. I still want a Titan Onua someday

I think the biggest difference for me is not their height but rather their look. Master Onua is very tanky while his Uniter form is a little lanky. :laugh: In the end they are both clearly the muscle of their team.

I really like the new Pohatu's color scheme. It gives him a real scrappy appearance, like his armor is weathered and patched together. I will admit that the Reddish Brown on Ketar is not that great, but Pohatu only has three Reddish Brown parts, with one on his back and two on his weapon. If I had to make a single change it would be swapping the Tr. Fluor. Green shells on his arms for silver ones, because the transparent shells on transparent beams break up the flow of his arms and make his hands look almost like they're not even connected.

Agreed. He still pulls of the wastelander vibe, just in a different way. I think they wanted all trans arms to help the crystal look, but the the smooth shells don't really work that well.

Now if only the new SW cloth wrap came in Dark Tan or Reddish Brown, that would have really been something..

Agreed. He still pulls of the wastelander vibe, just in a different way. I think they wanted all trans arms to help the crystal look, but the the smooth shells don't really work that well.

Now if only the new SW cloth wrap came in Dark Tan or Reddish Brown, that would have really been something..

Actually, come to think of it, 75113 Rey does come with some Dark Tan elements... but they're hard for me to visualize off the figure, and as such I have no idea how they'd look on Pohatu.

The review pictures have improved my opnion of Onua, but I'm still not sure about that weird asymmetrical arm.

I am pretty sure they made his other arm use a hinged bone because it being the end holding up the hammer needs a bit more friction, and I believe the hinged bone does have the sort of stability needed to hold a big ol' drill-hammer. As to why it isn't Tr. Blu. Violet- I have a feeling that his legs where already the Dark Bley variety and they didn't want to include the same part in another color or make all of his bones that color.

I am pretty sure they made his other arm use a hinged bone because it being the end holding up the hammer needs a bit more friction, and I believe the hinged bone does have the sort of stability needed to hold a big ol' drill-hammer. As to why it isn't Tr. Blu. Violet- I have a feeling that his legs where already the Dark Bley variety and they didn't want to include the same part in another color or make all of his bones that color.

That seems like the most plausible explanation. Still, an easy fix.

Onua looks to be my favourite Toa, along with Kopaka! His mask is one of my favourite of the 2016 masks. The silver meshes very well with the black.