VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

Hmmm, this brings up a good experiment to try. Perhaps replace some of the gold/trans orange with red or the new 4m dark azure shells from Gali? Sounds crazy but it might just work.

Azure 4M shells on his upper arms and 3M red shells on his lower arms perhaps?

I won't lie, I kinda like Tahu now that I've actually seen him. One thing I'm noticing though is that he looks waaaaaay better combined. I think it's the small size of his mask that is kind of bothering me...it looks out of place without Ikir's head over it. Asp his skull armour pauldrons look way too random. Still have to say though, looks darn cool. Can't wait to see the other Toa.

Edited by lambda_cla3391

I'm still on the fence. Luckily, I don't mind all the gold, so that doesn't hurt him for me.

I can't really pick out bothers me about him... But something feels off...

Also just read BZP's review of Terak. I'm positive the Creatures are going to be the highlight of this wave.

I don't mind all of Tahu's gold... But ugh. Those shoulderpads. I wish Lego would've molded them in gold and trans-orange (for the "clothey" parts) to make them look like they're on fire, at least.

And I love the new Hau! I'll definitely be displaying my Tahu with the red Hau, not just because it'd give him a much-needed boost in red, but also because I love how the red meshes with the silver.

Thanks for the pictures, DV! Looking forward to your review.

So, new Tahu pics. I can see the new torso piece in all it's detail at last aaaaaand it's literally te most megabloks thing ever. I'm serious, these torso shells look horrendous. Not even G1 had this absurd ugly detailing. And we're back to one piece torsos again. I cannot fathom why this is, it ruins the usability of the piece and makes colour balance an utter pain. Just look at Tahu and Pohatu.

Tahu looks like a golden Aztec temple guardian.

And do you guys notice that the 1.5L axle of the shooter handle goes all the way into Kopaka's hand piece? Pictures from multiple angles display that. That means there will probably be hands piece that axles can penetrate?

Edited by nguyengiangoc

Tahu's upper legs are way too long imo. I hoped the mask would look better in real life than it does on the CGI pics, but it's still nowhere near as pleasing aesthetically as the 2015 version.

Edited by wghost

BZP's Instagram has a pic of Onua+Terak up.

Looks FANTASTIC. Onua's colours and build alone make him a huge improvement over his 2015 form in my eyes.

And forgot to comment on it- so Terak's and Onua's crystal add-ons really are gold to tr. clear. How strange.. the preliminary sets did use tr. purple so it seems they changed their mind. It's not they can't make gold to tr. purple anyway so it's definitely an aesthetic choice.

I wouldn't mind more trans clear parts in the future. I know they might seem a bit boring, but I can think of some uses for them.

That image of Onua and Terak is incredible! I CANNOT wait to get them. HOWEVER I am baffled and VERY disappointed that the crystal piece is not trans purple. :damn: The gold waaay overpowers the clear to the point that it might as well have been solid gold. It also detracts from an otherwise perfectly balanced color scheme. It looks more like ice, something Kopaka would have. From a story perspective, every image and description of Onu-Koto(that's what I'm callign the region of earth) have purple crystals EVERYWHERE the ONLY example of crystalline structures in G2 up to this point! Is that why they made the change!? I really wish they hadn't those pieces look awful and cheap as a result. :sick::thumbdown:

That image of Onua and Terak is incredible! I CANNOT wait to get them. HOWEVER I am baffled and VERY disappointed that the crystal piece is not trans purple. :damn: The gold waaay overpowers the clear to the point that it might as well have been solid gold. It also detracts from an otherwise perfectly balanced color scheme. It looks more like ice, something Kopaka would have. From a story perspective, every image and description of Onu-Koto(that's what I'm callign the region of earth) have purple crystals EVERYWHERE the ONLY example of crystalline structures in G2 up to this point! Is that why they made the change!? I really wish they hadn't those pieces look awful and cheap as a result. :sick::thumbdown:

Well, the clear parts can be reused more, since not all mocs use trans purple. I think it looks okay, though I would prefere trans purple.

In general, though, I love this combination! It looked a little odd to me on the oficial picture, but here it looks great. Also, we finnally have trans purple studs!

Just read BZP's review of Terak. The empty balljoints and the loose gears are a pity, but everything else looks pretty good! The Creatures seem to be the highlight of the wave.

Just read BZP's review of Terak. The empty balljoints and the loose gears are a pity, but everything else looks pretty good! The Creatures seem to be the highlight of the wave.

I think part of that is the disparity from the first wave. The Toa of 2015 were rock solid, so now it's more iteration than innovation. The creatures, on the other hand, are markedly different in both form and function, so there's a bigger difference. I'm looking forward to them, though, I normally prefer the larger sets to the smaller ones, but it's been a while since we've gotten a good beast.

Onua's looking pretty cool! But I still don't like how Terak's hands sit on Onua's shoulder armor... They're just... Hanging out there.

Which is my biggest problem with the Unity modes. I wish they did more than just having the Creature ride on the Toa's back and eat the Toa's head. Be nice if some stuff shifted around a bit.

I was thinking, what if tahu's chest was red instead of gold? It made onua look better, and removed the large amounts of gold of him, making black his main color again (on prelims, Onua 2016's chest was gold). The same could have worked for tahu. (Someone please photoshop tahu with a red chestplate).

Edit: about Terak's loose gears, the arms are still on balljoints. Just move the arms up, not the mekanism.

Edited by NetherCreeper

I think part of that is the disparity from the first wave. The Toa of 2015 were rock solid, so now it's more iteration than innovation. The creatures, on the other hand, are markedly different in both form and function, so there's a bigger difference. I'm looking forward to them, though, I normally prefer the larger sets to the smaller ones, but it's been a while since we've gotten a good beast.

I think you're right. The Creatures are different, so they're more welcome. I'm hoping the summer Beasts have more great functions!

Onua's looking pretty cool! But I still don't like how Terak's hands sit on Onua's shoulder armor... They're just... Hanging out there.

Which is my biggest problem with the Unity modes. I wish they did more than just having the Creature ride on the Toa's back and eat the Toa's head. Be nice if some stuff shifted around a bit.

Well Gali gets cannons, Tahu and Lewa get wings, so I'd say at least half the creatures improve the playability of the set.

I was thinking, what if tahu's chest was red instead of gold? It made onua look better, and removed the large amounts of gold of him, making black his main color again (on prelims, Onua 2016's chest was gold). The same could have worked for tahu. (Someone please photoshop tahu with a red chestplate).

As far as his colors go, maybe. The build and texture problems would still be there. Overall I think he would have looked better, but not enough to save him I think.

Very true. In fact I think my priority is more on collecting the creatures instead of the Toa. Yes, even Ketar and Melum. All of them are great in their own right.

Edit: BZP's Onua review is up: http://www.bzpower.c...ory.php?ID=8164

Onua was and still is my favorite of the larger Toa. He's a little skinny and flat (but which Toa isn't?) for my tastes but I'm sure its nothing a little modding can't fix. The hammer/drill and Terak combo look better than I originally thought. He was already a buy from me when I first saw him, and he lives up to my expectations. Can't wait to mod him into a truly ultimate Onua.

Edited by Dr_Chronos

For Onua 2015 I put his golden mask on right away because I find that the black mask makes him look dark. However for Onua 2016 I think I'd put the black mask on because the contrast with Terak's head is striking. It gives the feeling that Onua is wearing a crown. The gold mask can't give that.

Thanks for the pics, DV, they're really great! Any chance you have Tahu 2015? I'm wondering how the new torso armor fits on the 2015 sets and vice versa. I really would appreciate it if you posted a pic. :)

I haven't really given my opinions on the sets in the new wave on this forum. I don't have much time to post and I'm just giving broad, quick opinions Tahu has too much gold, Kopaka is really good (sword! shield!) but doesnt need the dark blue, Gali looks great but she doesn't beat Gali 2015, Lewa is just amazing (the silver and green go well together and the helicopter blades are sweet), Onua looks cool but generic, unlike the character they put into Onua 2015, and finally Pohatu is a major improvement over Pohatu 2015 (weapon is less floppy, and the asymmetry, while characteristic, bugged me, and his mask is way better).

Regarding the creatures, Terak, Ikir, Uxar and Akida are awesome. Def gonna get them, Uxar to combine with Umarak, who I'm getting first along with Ikir or Pohatu.

Umarak, Umarak, UMARAK! is the best villain. He makes me regret getting the skull villains, especially Grinder. He has a lot of character, and I hope that reflects in the story (I'm expecting a ruthless killer with a taste for masks and power, un-affiliated with Makuta). His antlers are stunning, and I love the fact that he has multiple weapons (please tell me that he takes out a Toa with a full ammo belt). He has such a threatening demeanor, I hope Makuta comes out next year just to top him, and then there's his Destroyer form, which has the potential to be over or underwhelming.

The Creatures and Titans rule the year, while the others fall short to their counterparts of yesteryear. Here's looking towards the Journey to One beastly summer!

Onua looks great, but I wanna do something to his legs. What little black there is is covered by the crystal add-ons, so they look unbalanced compared to the arms. Not hard to fix though.

And, I know most are going to disagree, but I did like the silver on Master Onua and I want to try putting some on Uniter Onua as well. I migh just straight up mount Mater Onua's shover-shoulder armour on him.

Now, off to think a solution to bring more balance to Pohatu (not enough brown, too much trans lime and silver) and Tahu.

I really feel like a lot of personality was lost with this Onua in comparison to his 2015 form, something of a trend with these figures for me.

Also I'm not a fan of this new "no build photos" thing BZP is doing. I don't like video reviews and if I wanted to watch a video review I would be on YouTube, when you have a photo review it should be comprehensive.

Also I'm not a fan of this new "no build photos" thing BZP is doing. I don't like video reviews and if I wanted to watch a video review I would be on YouTube, when you have a photo review it should be comprehensive.

I agree. I want to see build photos. But with these reviews it's not that bad, as these are the first looks we're getting of the new sets. If I'd seen other reviews before BZP's, then I wouldn't be bothered to read them. Looking forward to your reviews, VBBB!