VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

Look, am I the only around here who a) Likes the 2016 wave more than 2015 (Since those guys look like f***king Bionicle and not a HF revamp) b) Thinks that the clashing aesthetic is one of the best things about Bionicle ?

Also, like I said - they are m:+*,erf{}'king awesome. Gonna take Kopaka for sure, most likely Onua and Umarak as well.

No, you're not the only one who likes the new sets. There's no need for the pseudo-cussing or pretentiousness.

I also find it odd that you used a pejorative term (clashing) to describe something you like.

Edited by Logan McOwen

I don't think I can add much more to the whole texture and aesthetic conversation, so I won't even try. I pretty agree with Lychir and especially dviddy. These new sets don't mix simplicity with detail as well as this year's. It was actually kind of funny that while I was reading his comment I looked at my old Exo-Toa across the room and really started to examine it. I never noticed before how well that set mixes shapes, styles, and textures.

While I do think the 2016 is a step backward in that department, I am happy with the new parts and builds. Can't wait to try my own stuff when I get my hands on them.

I personally prefer the newer sets over the 2015 ones..but can understand people's qualms with these new guys. They look messy, and I feel that's something some people really dislike. I can also understand the ideal of 'lack of progress' by lego with these guys..as they do seem to come from a G1 design era. I won't go as far as to say these Uniters look so much more different than the Masters that they look like different characters.

Comparisons (my opinion)

Master Tahu v Uniter Tahu

Master Tahu was my least favourite toa (not set) last year. He seemed incomplete and there were questionable design bits placed on him which I didn't like. Still don't find his mask appealing, his upper leg armour placement is odd, and the arms....look like a mess. What do. Like about Uniter Tahu that I didn't like about M Tahu? His mask for one, he has way more trans colours this time around. What do I still dislike about him? He still has those weirdly designed arms, odd weapons, the upper legs look incomplete...his back is now less covered and the combo model is a mess...because Ikir is a little mess. I still like Uniter Tahu more than Master Tahu.

Gali and Gali: Gali was one of my favourite sets last year..fantastic mask, great weapon, really well-designed...but I had issues with her too. Namely, bland colour scheme. Her legs are well designed, as are her arms...the one minor fault with her design is her back, but it's still good. Uniter Gali has more colour, she's got a cool mask, more wieldable weapon (I still like the axe..but it gets in the way so often when I pose her), asymmetry, and she still somewhat has more of the smooth look than do the other toa. Uniter Gali I think is better.

Lewas: Last year's Lewa was solid, except for the fact that his neck was constrained. This year's Lewa is better in terms of design...but even there I'm not sure that I like him all that much to want to buy him. His arms are nice, but from the side shot, the shoulder armour looks bizarre and makes his body disproportionate...I don't know. Also, they killed the colour on him and drowned him in silver. Add to this silly weapons, but a much improved mask...and I now have no idea whether I want him or not.

Onuas: Uniter Onua is just better. I'm not against the tank that is Onua, but this new version has a much better mask, way more trans colours, much better weapon...he's just awesome. I know he's gappy though....and I'm not sure that that will bother me enough to pass on him. I dig the design on this one..except for his upper legs....they used Tahu's upper leg armour on Onua.....

Kopakas: He was my favourite last year...and looks to be my favourite this year. Great design, weapons, colours, his combo will likely be messy, but I think I won't mind it as much. Te new Kopaka seems he more 'complete' figure to me..but then again we haven't seen his back yet. I like the blues, and am not bothered by his bumpy construction.

Pohatus: Uniter again....I loved last years version and do miss the asymmetry...but this one has awesome colours, an awesome weapon.....but super odd arm construction. I've noticed that as I've grown, I went from loving most of the green characters (back in G1), to finding an appreciation for the stone characters up until now. Do I want to just start collecting stone characters now? I loved Nilkuu and Pohatu from last year...but Ketar and Pohatu this year...not sure if he'll have enough to beat Onua out. He's got a much better mask now too.

Considering the amount of detail in all three new armor parts (crystal add-on, piece of unity, and torso shell), I think it's safe to say this is the direction BIONICLE will continue to go (probably with the heavier Technic integration as well). Obviously this isn't ideal for a lot of people here but not every wave can be the best wave. Personally, I'm reserving judgement on these guys until I can get my hands on some of them.

No, you're not the only one who likes the new sets. There's no need for the pseudo-cussing or pretentiousness.

I'm just foul-mouthed. You should have seen me in real life. ;-) Also, it's nice to know that. :-)

I also find it odd that you used a pejorative term (clashing) to describe something you like.

Oh. Didn't know you don't utilize it in this way.

Considering the amount of detail in all three new armor parts (crystal add-on, piece of unity, and torso shell), I think it's safe to say this is the direction BIONICLE will continue to go (probably with the heavier Technic integration as well).

If that's true, then it's great. Awesome, even, 'cause it means a return to old.

I doubt that very much, considering that traditional CCBS is very much still in use. A couple of armour addons doesn't really indicate a "return to old" at all, and quite frankly I'm glad of that.

Edited by Logan McOwen

I used to really enjoy the G1 aesthetic, and I still do to an extent, but after BIONICLE returned and showed me how perfectly a meld between a clean and detailed aesthetic could be executed, these new sets look vastly inferior. I appreciate the existence of the parts for the options they'll present to MoCists, but the appearance of the sets end up suffering from their inclusion.

Seriously, every time I look at these comparisons it makes me pretty upset. They don't even look like they're from the same line. Thankfully, Tahu and Kopaka are the worst offenders and the others don't suffer from it as much (but they have their own sets of issues to balance the scales), but still...

Like, I look at Tahu 2015 and okay, fine, he could have possibly used a few more details in his lower legs or his torso plate or something, that's perfectly fine. Completely independent of whether you prefer highly detailed or smooth aesthetics, though, Tahu looked consistent. Everything in his design flowed and evoked a pretty cool look for the figure. Tahu 2016... not only is he ridiculously overly detailed and his color scheme so radically different, but he has four conflicting kinds of armor on his limbs! The smooth shell, the piston add-on, the new, blocky armor piece with holes everywhere, and the organic crystalline add-on. It looks absolutely ridiculous.

The sets are still cool, and I still enjoy them for the positives they do bring to the table, but eh.

I agree here. And ouch, those comparisons are rough. And kopaka was the one that I liked out of the new toa. What is up with the colors? I like the new mask and torso, but those technic arms look awful when compared to kopaka 15, and like others have said, I don't think the new crystal thingie and the technic shell work that well together. That's not to say either is real bad, but together, ehh.

I'm still holding off opinions until having them in hand, as much as I can draw from CGi still just doesn't give me enough to go off of. I do agree with what others have said that textures are all over the place in many places and overall I don't feel that these are a step forward. Not necessarily a step back, but to me they don't feel like an evolution of what we got in 2015. Sure, we are getting more functions...but I don't feel like this is the "next great thing" in Bionicle, it doesn't bring much nostalgic charm to me and honestly none of these sets are gripping me like 2015's did.

I'm just foul-mouthed. You should have seen me in real life. ;-) Also, it's nice to know that. :-)

Oh. Didn't know you don't utilize it in this way.

I wouldn't suggest continuing this discussion, it's off-topic and such a tone isn't going anywhere productive.

I agree here. And ouch, those comparisons are rough. And kopaka was the one that I liked out of the new toa. What is up with the colors? I like the new mask and torso, but those technic arms look awful when compared to kopaka 15, and like others have said, I don't think the new crystal thingie and the technic shell work that well together. That's not to say either is real bad, but together, ehh.

Yeah, not really a fan of the new Kopaka myself. As the cyrstal part, I like to think of it as a transitional piece. Mechanical to Organic. However I'm not a fan of the placement. I won't know until I get a set, but I think it might look better if the cyrstal part was put on the Technic shell rather than being near it. It might fix the detail balance and hopefully improve the look of his shins. Speaking of the Techinc shell, I wonder how well it would look like with other addons attached on it?

Ahem, so even though Tahu might have 'clashing' textures, ya just gots to admit he's a good parts pack if you like gold.

Edited by MakutaOfWar

Ahem, so even thought Tahu might have 'clashing' textures, ya just gots to admit he's a good parts pack if you like gold.

Agreed. I for one am excited for those gold Skull Villain armor add-ons. And the crystal add-ons; I bet they're more versatile than we might think.

I just can't decide how I feel about the new sets.

I may end up combining the 2015 and '16 Toa into something I like (which is something I've never done before). Maybe even re-work the Unity modes.

I'll see how I feel about them when I have 'em in-hand. That's really all I can do at this point.

Agreed. I for one am excited for those gold Skull Villain armor add-ons. And the crystal add-ons; I bet they're more versatile than we might think.

Maybe... but I would've appreciated other parts in gold more. I mean, I would love to have the Vorox armor in Warm Gold—it'd probably look better on Tahu than the Skull Villain add-on, and would probably look good on Kopaka as well. Kinda hoping that the summer Ekimu set might include that, at least...

I do like the look of the crystal add-on. As others have said, it's a good transitional part, with crystals on one side and a classic piston texture on the other.

I may end up combining the 2015 and '16 Toa into something I like (which is something I've never done before).

That's something I've been considering as well, incidentally, because it's not like these new sets have no redeeming qualities. There's a lot I actually do like about them. I'm going to try to whip up some freakish creations that combine the builds of the new sets with the general aesthetic of the 2015 wave. I'll probably fail horribly, but we'll see what happens, lol.

Ahem, so even though Tahu might have 'clashing' textures, ya just gots to admit he's a good parts pack if you like gold.

Suppose so. I'm a little tired of gold at this point, so it won't really matter to me. If anything I'd pick him up for his mask and bones. The golden skull armor addon baffles me. That piece would look better if it was used on someone else and given a cloth color like black or some shade of brown. His cyrstal addon is close to being the best, so I might grab them off Bricklink.

I just can't decide how I feel about the new sets.

I may end up combining the 2015 and '16 Toa into something I like (which is something I've never done before). Maybe even re-work the Unity modes.

I'll see how I feel about them when I have 'em in-hand. That's really all I can do at this point.

I'm not sure if I'll combine the 2015 and 16 Toa together, but I do know heavy mods are in my Uniter's future.

That's something I've been considering as well, incidentally, because it's not like these new sets have no redeeming qualities. There's a lot I actually do like about them. I'm going to try to whip up some freakish creations that combine the builds of the new sets with the general aesthetic of the 2015 wave. I'll probably fail horribly, but we'll see what happens, lol.

I plan to do something similar, but I don't think it should be that hard. You can even attach the gearbox on the new torso, so a lot of the unique tidbits each Toa had (Lewa's vest thing, Gali's and Tahu's shoulder armour design, etc) should I be fairly easy to transplant.

When I'll mod my Onua, I'm going to see whether I can implement that axle that connects through the creature idea that was mentioned earlier as a way to allow the Toa to keep their gear functions while connected.

Received Tahu and Ikir in the mail from LEGO today. No review embargo, so here's my thoughts as I'm currently processing. No photos yet, but soon.

The red-silver mix on the mask has a massive Toa Nuva nostalgic kick to it. It's small, though, and the steep front angle doesn't help. I like the design overall, though. The molded Nuva symbol on the crest is unobtrusive and nice. The mask is just so small. It's undeniably Tahu, though, and the brow ridge is strong like the G1 Hau. The gold-orange mix looks amazing, and it makes me wish we'd gotten a blended Mask of Fire for Tahu in 2015. It would have been the highlight of the mixed-masks.

I like the skull enemy add-ons, so I'm glad to see them in gold. That said, they look incredibly awkward hanging over the sides at such a direct angle. And there's too much trans-orange. That plus the gold without the strong red is searing. I don't like it. The torso piece is smaller (thank god) than the Star Wars one, and I like the blue and reds printed on the gold. The decal is lovely, but I like the detailing even less in person than I did in the renders. It's so busy! It makes the new "piece of unity" used on the upper legs look simple and sleek. It's a mess.

The torso bone does indeed have the turn-table section molded into the bottom, and the waist piece has the inner portion molded in. They connect together with a lot of friction, to the point where it's hard to do the waist-swiveling function easily. It's very tight. The pieces don't pull apart easily, but they can be pried apart unlike the gatling guns from the Protectors.

The crystal piece just sort of exists. At least this add-on lies flat on the shells, unlike so many of the other ones we've gotten. The upper legs look empty and small with only the unity piece and the friction extender. The entire set just looks lanky and awkward altogether. Tahu's head looks like it's floating above an empty void in the torso. And the newer pieces don't compliment the shells the same way the newer parts from 2015 did. It's simply undeniable in person.

The weapons just??? The molding is co-injected with silver and classic orange, and where they mix looks like a bad paint-job from a knock-off company. Really disappointed, though the actual blade mold is pretty nice. The gear blade-extender is just so random. The blades don't like to stay up or down and sort of shift a lot.

I'd like some new feet.

The blue bohrok eyes are AMAZING. Such a beautiful colour, and I think the set would look better with more of it. Really it would look better with any more solid colour, red, dark azure, something.

Ikir:

The animal head mold is interesting. I like the glyphs, as they feel like some sort of mystic-magicky detailing, not extraneous mechanical details. But it's so big and empty, and it looks a little awkward. The gear function works well and is nicely frictioned. The blades look a little awkward, but the overall looks is nice.

The bird is nice. I like him. The colours work a lot nicer than on Tahu.

Getting ready to set my photo studio up and take some quick teaser photos.

Nice review. I think Tahu's going to be my favorite. He just looks so... godly. :D

I'm also happy about that new Technic piece. Ball and socket can get old when its all you're doing for years and years, and I like a little bit more complexity when building from time to time. I don't think that the leg coverage is all that much of a problem, I think that the new Technic piece and Skull add-on pauldrons look cool on Tahu, but to each their own.

The 2016 Tahu fixes every issue I had with the 2015 Tahu. His arms were difficult to pose and play with because the shoulder pads would get in the way and go all over the place and I'd just have to pose them back constanty, not to mention the back swords would move all over the place. His mask is also an improvement, as it looks more gruff and angry like it did back in 2001. The vents also stand out better. Finally, the swords aren't so freaking giant, there aren't exposed torso ball joints, there isn't a big gap in between the arms and the torso that was only filled in with a black technic piece that was used to connect his sword holsters, and his lower legs aren't colliding and making posing hard and awkward due to having bell-bottoms.

Edited by Tarvaxx