VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

Shouldn't the first post be updated :wink:

I doubt it has ratchets, from personal experience it would make the action "jumpy" And would restrict the usability of the piece on future sets and MOCs.

Also, Gali has the Unity piece upside-down as opposed to all the others (Though Kopaka's back is not visible)

Edited by GK733

Finally, some time to talk about the official set images...and they look amazing!! Much better than before, especially the Titans and Creatures. And knowing Melum and Terak have (probably) different functions is a bit reassuring (even if I still have no clue what animal they're supposed to be).

Nevertheless, I still think Tahu has too much gold.

Looks like the 2016 Mask of Earth has side openings for horns to attach, like the 2015 version, the MoCR and the villain masks.

Will the Beasts steal the Toa Masks and temporarily wear them like the Skeletons did this year? I hope for something different this time, a recoloured variant of the Beast heads/masks for example (hopefully not gold though, lol).

If they really steal the Masks again, though, they definitely can't follow the "gold fading to trans colour" style again, for obvious reasons.

They might do that so the masks will be compatible with this year's horned characters, or the ones from future years. Or any the customer might want to create. Ater all, CCBS is still LEGO: the purpose is to stimulate creativity and original designs.

And I really, really hope they don't go the "steal Toa's masks" route again. This reboot is still too fresh to start repeating ideas.

I hope the Beasts, if they have masks, have their own. Rather than recoloring them in gold, I'd suggest making the "main" type of Beast mask use the main color of the beast with black accents, while the powered-up versions are black with either the main color or the translucent version of it as the accent.

That's a neat idea; particularly the black with main color. But to be honest, I'm starting to feel a bit sick of half-trans masks (especially gold-trans masks).

Though Kopaka's back is not visible

I wonder why. Especially since they show the same "Unity mode" pose twice, only mirrored; couldn't one of those be a picture of the connection?

And knowing Melum and Terak have (probably) different functions is a bit reassuring (even if I still have no clue what animal they're supposed to be).

And I really, really hope they don't go the "steal Toa's masks" route again. This reboot is still too fresh to start repeating ideas.

That's a neat idea; particularly the black with main color. But to be honest, I'm starting to feel a bit sick of half-trans masks (especially gold-trans masks).

Assuming the crystal add-ons on their arms represent wings for them, Terak might be a bat given the cave setting, and Melum is.. eeeehmm.. I dunno, a rhino/owl ice dragon thing?

Funnily, all other Creatures represent real life animals (Ikir is clearly Phoenix, but still looks like a normal bird), but those two are an enigma.

I hope for no mask stealing either- not only it'd be a rehashed plot, set-wise the Toa don't need a third set of recolours of their masks like this year. Just give some love to the villains for once: head/mask in its regular colour (whatever it might be)+fully transparent version?

And I did these, might do the nowadays forgotten larger torso bone later. Hopefully they're accurate. Not sure if the gear halves are fused to the new pieces or not. Either way, the new torso bone is great! Looks like you can put a gearbox on it too!

E6zDQIG.png?1

And I did these, might do the nowadays forgotten larger torso bone later. Hopefully they're accurate. Not sure if the gear halves are fused to the new pieces or not. Either way, the new torso bone is great! Looks like you can put a gearbox on it too!

(Snip'd)

A couple of admendments to the diagram:

• The torso has a ball with technic hole in it (like that one liftarm and mini torsos), which attaches the torso shell. It can be seen best in Gali's back view.
  • The section from the turntable gear to the first technic hole seems to be 2 modules high, and a hole is missing on the normal small torso.
  • Is that an illustration of the possible ratchet mechanism that was being discussed on the previous page? To me the turntable gear seems to be one whole piece, as it is shaped in the same way that normal bevel gears are.

Not to knock on the diagram though- you did a pretty dang good job helping to illustrate the new torso beam.

Looking at them more closely, I really like the silver beast heads on the gold masks, adds a nice contrast to them and looks like a sweet helmet.

As worried as I am that the waist swivel function might be floppy and loose, I'd rather not have them ratcheted. It'd defeat the purpose of having a function - kids want to bash their opponents with their set! And so do I. :tongue:

A couple of admendments to the diagram:

• The torso has a ball with technic hole in it (like that one liftarm and mini torsos), which attaches the torso shell. It can be seen best in Gali's back view.
  • The section from the turntable gear to the first technic hole seems to be 2 modules high, and a hole is missing on the normal small torso.
  • Is that an illustration of the possible ratchet mechanism that was being discussed on the previous page? To me the turntable gear seems to be one whole piece, as it is shaped in the same way that normal bevel gears are.

Not to knock on the diagram though- you did a pretty dang good job helping to illustrate the new torso beam.

Aw, yeah, the ball joint! I actually meant to put it but I forgot.

Is it 2M? Looked like one module to me, but I wasn't sure. But looking at it again, you might be right.

Yeah, there should be a O hole on the hip, but putting it would've forced me to redraw the entire piece to be bigger (while the pieces look proportionate, some empty spaces aren't accurate due to working with pixels). And it was getting late (it was 2 AM over here), so I chose to skip it, thinking it didn't matter much. Might somehow add it later.

I guess it is, but I'm unsure about the ratchet mechanism myself so take it with a pinch of salt. Are you saying the turntable mechanism is one? So is it fused to the new bone? Or is it separate?

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

I guess it is, but I'm unsure about the ratchet mechanism myself so take it with a pinch of salt. Are you saying the turntable mechanism is one? So is it fused to the new bone? Or is it separate?

The way I believe is that it works the same way as the small Technic turntable recently introduced. The geared portion that you see above the silver hip piece is part of the main torso section and is similar to the black piece of the turntable. The bottom hip piece is just the section the axle goes through and the balls the legs connect to, and is similar to the grey piece of the turntable. While the top of this isn't accurate and was proven wrong, I made a little diagram.

Speaking of that turntable, it might be a good idea to ask anyone who still has #44022 if the waist swivel gives them any issue with posing the set.

Speaking of that turntable, it might be a good idea to ask anyone who still has #44022 if the waist swivel gives them any issue with posing the set.

I don't recall having any issues, myself. It's been a while, so I can't give any confirmation.

Honestly, I think the ratchet system could work so long as it's soft. Something along the lines of the IFB Beast jaws. Easy to move, but holds in place.

I have absolutely no problems with posing the set. The swivel has enough friction in it, even if you don't connect all the pieces super tightly, so if the 2016 Toa use a similar connection there's nothing to worry about.

The way I believe is that it works the same way as the small Technic turntable recently introduced. The geared portion that you see above the silver hip piece is part of the main torso section and is similar to the black piece of the turntable. The bottom hip piece is just the section the axle goes through and the balls the legs connect to, and is similar to the grey piece of the turntable. While the top of this isn't accurate and was proven wrong, I made a little diagram.

I updated it before, added the large torso bone and, as a bonus, the new torso bone Finn, Rey and most likely Kylo have:

vsnpPHX.png

You drew seven O holes, but I only see six. And the space under the last hole from the top doesn't seem to occupy more than 1M to me.

But.... if the SW torso (adding the length of the neck) is as tall as the full Uniter torso (bone+hip), it does make sense if both are 11M. The 2015 SW figures used the large torso (11M) and Finn and Kylo reuse the 2015 shell- meaning their torso, adding the neck, should amount to 11M as well. So, your version should be correct, it's that I still don't see it myself.

Edited by Shakar

You drew seven O holes, but I only see six. And the space under the last hole from the top doesn't seem to occupy more than 1M to me.

But.... if the SW torso (adding the length of the neck) is as tall as the full Uniter torso (bone+hip), it does make sense if both are 11M. The 2015 SW figures used the large torso (11M) and Finn and Kylo reuse the 2015 shell- meaning their torso, adding the neck, should amount to 11M as well. So, your version should be correct, it's that I still don't see it myself.

Funnily enough, that diagram was drawn the day before the finalized pictures came out. I thought that the arms attatched to the Piece of Unification and did not think there would be the crossbar. Your number of holes is accurate, as I thought there would be another one in the section that is reinforced. The other pinhole I said you needed on the small torso is between the shoulder part and the ball that the torso shells attach to; you only have one whereas the actual torso has two. Again, sorry if I sound a bit anal on this, but it's just another correction that should help with scale.

Also, looking at Gali's back, I just had an epiphany. Looking at the part above the gear, I can see something on the inside of the torso. It looks like the new torso does NOT use a connection like the small turntable, but has a connection more like the studgun used in this year's Protectors! The hip piece is similar to the center (yellow) section. I am hoping they tooled it to possibly have a ratchet mechanism or just have far more friction.

Massive official image dump? Probably should've expected this would happen right when I leave for a week. Time for updated personal opinions.

Rahi/Creatures:

I already loved Uxar from the leaks, and this makes me love him even more. The aesthetic is solid and there aren't any details that stick out more than necessary. The color is gorgeous, the insect concept is cool, and it's neither too simple nor too complex. Definitely going to be among the first ones I get.

My opinion of Ketar has definitely increased, but I'm still not sure if I'll be getting him or not. It's a nice concept and design, but the colors don't work too well in my opinion--- just like with '15 Pohatu and Nilkuu--- and the tail's connection pieces don't appeal to me.

Akida looks cool, very cool. The clashing colors work perfectly, the design is solid, no real complaints. That said, I personally don't care much for a creature that can't walk, so probably not getting this one unless the combination with Gali turns out to be a must-get.

Ikir is... less impressive that I originally thought. Fire, cool. Birb, cool. He just looks... I don't know... skimpy? I get that they're working with a limited piece count, and a lot of work went into the wings, but still, it just seems like his torso isn't enough of a torso. I'm undecided.

Terak is still very nice. Wonderful colors, cute yet powerful creature aesthetic, no major sticking points. The WOW effect has worn off, so he's less amazing than from the leaks, but probably still my second favorite creature. EDIT: Not sure how I didn't notice this before, but Terak has non-trans purple spikes and gray secondary coloring on his armor. I really don't like either of these things. Not so sure about this guy any more.

Toa/Uniters:

Lewa is just... wow. What is it with the Jungle characters looking so freaking fantastic this wave? I love everything about this guy. Color scheme still looks great even without Keetorange; it's not worse, just different. His grey "hair" actually doesn't look too bad thanks to the grey armor all over the place. His weapons appeal to me a lot more than they did at first, and his body structure seems to fit the character personally. And then I look at the combo between Lewa and Uxar, and just WOW! So. Freaking. Majestic. Those wings... that helmet... the overall concept, the motif, the I-don't-even-know-what-I-just-love-this-so-much. Even the gold mask looks more like an eye-catching highlight rather than an out-of-place gimmick. Definitely getting both these guys and combining them. My only complaint? The red axles used in Lewa's weapons are ridiculously distracting and detract immensely from the set's appearance. Wait a moment. Fawning over Lewa to a ridiculous degree? Hating red axles? I'm literally Eljay right now.

Moving on to Pohatu. Like his Creature counterpart, he looks a lot better than in the leaked images, but I'm still undecided on whether to get him or not. The colors are... interesting, I'm just not sure whether they fall on the "weird" or the "creative" side of that line. The dual handed weapon actually seems to work quite well. His lower legs and feet definitely need more brown of some kind. His combo model is very bulky, and gives off the vibe of "tribal warrior", not sure if that's intentional or not. It actually manages to significantly improve the overall color scheme by bringing together the displaced colors from each set to match each other. The tail does seem somewhat out of place, though.

Gali is another one that I like a lot more now that I've seen the official images. In my opinion, she pulls off the asymmetry way better than Pohatu did. Her weapon is a cool design, and the combo model is another amazing work. She actually looks like a fish, which is a good thing. The tail works a lot better than Pohatu's combo model as well. Not much else to say about her.

Moving on to... Tahu. Sigh. My problem with him isn't the gold, as it is with many people, as much as it is the... lack of cohesion. It seems like they just slapped random armor on him as much as they could, without any actual thought involved. I really, really don't like his mask design, and the weapons are too bulky. I agree with others that he is waaaaay too tall. I'm not sure why he's the only Toa that I absolutely can't stand, but... there you have it. I will say, though, that his combo model isn't too bad, with the exception that OH GOD WHY WHY WHY does he have those THINGS on his feet?! What the Karzanhi?! I get that it's supposed to tie in with the blue printing on his chest piece, but UGGGGHHHHHH it just doesn't work! There's not nearly enough blue in the rest of the set to make it look like a solid contrasting color, and it just comes out as... bad. It's way more noticeable and horrible in the combo image than in the Tahu standalone images.

Onua was my favorite of the Uniters in the leaks... not so much anymore. I wasn't sure why people were complaining that he had lost his bulk, but now I can definitely see why that's a problem. His mask isn't too great either, and while the purple is a nice color for him in theory, it's just applied in all the wrong places. Probably not getting this guy. His combo model doesn't help either, with Terak's legs sticking out awkwardly and the overall effect of the combo not adding anything to him other than shoulder padding. I may get Terak, but not Onua.

Other/Large sets:

As before, I like Melum despite what other people say about him being a "worse Terak clone". I mean, yes, he's a clone, but I think he still looks cute and a solid design. Having a silver chest plate with the rest of his armor and his head being gold is... weird... but doesn't take away from the overall look of the set too much.

Kopaka, though. I feel like there was so much potential here, but it was wasted. His build is great, amazing, love it. But the colors just screwed everything up. Random dark blue armor?! Why?! A total lack of gold in his upper body and arms! A white-and-grey mask just DOES NOT work! His weapons look great, as do his legs, but the upper portion is just ugly. The mask design really doesn't appeal to me either. The combo model looks slightly better, but it has the same problem with the creature's legs that Onua's does, and overall I'm just really disappointed.

And finally... the big man himself. Umarak, the Hunter! Mata Nui, that name is awesome. Right. The set. I'm in the "weird-but-makes-it-work-really-really-well" camp. His colors, focusing more on black but still using a delicious dark red, and adding in that wood-y brown, do an amazing job of giving off the right villainous vibe. The trans-green scattered throughout the set, especially on the mask, looks creepy and improves the design even further. The tan horns on the bow and mask seem ridiculously large at first, but as with the rest of the set, it just somehow works. The mask's design is beautifully evil as well, and thankfully it's black! That magazine image had me worried. I haven't even started on his details! The trap pieces for shoulder armor are an ingenious idea that works really well. The way that his bow curves unorthodoxically is also neat and accentuates the idea that Umarak is not your average being. The random chains here and there? Love it. The hip-mounted blade? LOVE IT. The technic legs are weird, but wonderfully nostalgic of the Titans from '05 and on. And then we come to the images of him combined with the Creatures, and I start screaming freakishly. I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. I actually didn't anticipate that Umarak would have a combining function, but GOD it works so well... in particular with Uxar, who, if I haven't already said it enough, is my favorite Creature. I may just need to get TWO Uxars just so I can combine him with both Lewa and Umarak! The wings--- the regalness--- the angel-of-death motif--- the GREEN--- AAAAAGH! Umarak-with-Uxar is too perfect!

Alright, I'm done. TL;DR: UXAR UXAR UXAR LEWA LEWA LEWA UMARAK UMARAK UMARAK alsoTahusuckskthxbai

Edited by DuplexBeGreat

Personally, I may go at this in a very unorthodox way.

From the box art, from what I've seen, I feel like I'll be getting Kopaka (he might actually be my favourite this time around), Pohatu, and Tahu. I like Lewa a lot, as well as Uxar...but considering I felt Gali would be my least favourite of the figures last year, and the fact that I loved how Narmoto glowed last year (he is one of my favourite of the protectors), I feel like I should give Tahu a chance. He might turn out to be way cooler than anticipated (he is, thus far, my least favourite of the sets).

I don't think I'll be getting all the sets in one go.

I'll definitely get Umarak, Kopaka, and a Toa and Creature as my first "introductory" purchase. Then proceed getting Toa/Creature combos till I finish the collection.

But I don't know which Toa and Creature to get first... Pohatu has always been my favorite Toa, but I'm not really a fan of his 2016 version, and Ketar is easily my least favorite Creature. Maybe Tahu because it's Tahu? I'll have to think about it...

@DuplexBeGreat Nice, I love Umarak, Lewa and Uxar too. I always had a thing for green (and black) sets, but a few failures (Kongu Mahri, Gorast, Vastus) and the domination of lime (which looks nice as an accent, but has kind of tired me out at this point) kind of spoiled them for me. I really like bright green and its transparent version and all green sets have been pretty great so far for me.

I replied to your comment on Umarak, but it ended up getting into storyline territory, so I'll post it on the other topic.

Funnily enough, that diagram was drawn the day before the finalized pictures came out. I thought that the arms attatched to the Piece of Unification and did not think there would be the crossbar. Your number of holes is accurate, as I thought there would be another one in the section that is reinforced. The other pinhole I said you needed on the small torso is between the shoulder part and the ball that the torso shells attach to; you only have one whereas the actual torso has two. Again, sorry if I sound a bit anal on this, but it's just another correction that should help with scale.

Also, looking at Gali's back, I just had an epiphany. Looking at the part above the gear, I can see something on the inside of the torso. It looks like the new torso does NOT use a connection like the small turntable, but has a connection more like the studgun used in this year's Protectors! The hip piece is similar to the center (yellow) section. I am hoping they tooled it to possibly have a ratchet mechanism or just have far more friction.

Ah, I see it now, you meant the "old" torso bone! Yeah, I missed one pinhole. No need to apologize, this is supposed to be an accurate representation so it's good you pointed it out. Gonna fix it later or tomorrow when I'm at home.

So the Uniter torso is 10M including the hips correct? Since it's one module shorter than the 11M Titan torso bone. Overall, a figure with the old torso should always be one module taller than one with the Uniter torso, provided their legs are of the same length.

I'm not sure of what to say about the hip because I don't have a turntable piece myself. Are you saying that the hip would be permanently attached to the gear, like the on the Protector miniguns? Or would it be a tweaked version that makes sure that doesn't happen?

So the Uniter torso is 10M including the hips correct? Since it's one module shorter than the 11M Titan torso bone. Overall, a figure with the old torso should always be one module taller than one with the Uniter torso, provided their legs are of the same length.

From the neck to the hips I believe it is 11M. The section from the lowest pinhole on the torso to the bottom of the turntable gear is 2M, which can be seen in Umarak's pictures; the Ribcage torso shell is 3M long below the attachment, one of which is used for the liftarm.

I'm not sure of what to say about the hip because I don't have a turntable piece myself. Are you saying that the hip would be permanently attached to the gear, like the on the Protector miniguns? Or would it be a tweaked version that makes sure that doesn't happen?

It would probably be true that the hip will be permanently attached. Here's another little diagram I made to show what I am saying. It is pretty evident when you look at the gap right below the lowest pinhole- you can see the end of the connector.

Edit: Does anyone know what color of Kaiju claw Ketar and Uxar use? I can't tell if it's black, silver, or gunmetal (which would be a new recolor I believe).

Edited by TheDesuComplex

If you guys haven't heard of the official prices yet, here they are:

Uxar-$9.99

Ketar-$9.99

Akida-$9.99

Ikir-$9.99

Terak-$9.99

Lewa-$14.99

Pohatu-$14.99

Gali-$14.99

Tahu-$19.99

Onua-$19.99