VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

I definitely love all the tr.purple, although I wish Terak's arms used it. I think I may use Onua's new torso piece to give Onua an 8-pack (yes, they exist. Usually people only work up six of the eight muscles), since directly placing Onua 2015's chestplate over the new one won't work. And too bad about the tr. grey being used in the crystal armor rather than tr. purple. I think I'll get Onua, Terak and maybe Uxar and Umarak.

Also, part of Melum's head seems to have been edited out in the main set picture.

Sets before Christmas? Maybe they're trying to pre-empt leaks. Or maybe they just mean they'll be rolling out more media than lines typically see, especially since last year we got a looooot of information beforehand.

Also, note the complete absence of any Mata Nui icon from the poster...

I didn't even notice the asymmetry in Onua's upper arms. That's pretty frustrating but I can see why they did it, to increase the stability and allow him to hold the hammer up, question is why didn't they just use that joint piece in trans purple when he used that piece in trans purple this year? I'll definitely be replacing it with one.

Are Umarak's upper leg bone a new piece? I don't recall one of those with two pinholes... or were they used on XT4? Ugh, too lazy to check my bone drawer. :P Anyways, I'm really digging Onua, his stature, weapon, trans purple<3.

Edit: Nevermind, it was used previously. :3 I'm dumb.

Edited by MakutaOfWar

You certainly can't be blamed for not remembering about those. They were introduced in Rocka XL in light bley and reused in XT4, but it wasn't until this year that they were picked up again by the designers, recoloured in dark bley and finally used regularly in sets (starting from the Star Wars battle figures).

And too bad about the tr. grey being used in the crystal armor rather than tr. purple. I think I'll get Onua, Terak and maybe Uxar and Umarak.

Still looks purple to me... Not as vibrant as the other Tr. Purple, but there's definitely purple there. Seems like a rendering issue.

Also, it occurred to me that the Creature heads are going to be pretty big. They need to accommodate a mask under there, after all.

I've been holding out my judgment until finalized pics and detailed shots, and the sets definitely look better than on earlier pics. The combinations are still underwhelming, though. Akida and Ketar look like squirming animals that were just bashed onto the back of Gali and Pohatu, respectively. And although the creatures have nice little functions, they are still disappointing - I evaluate a set much more based on its looks than on its functions, and the creature head piece - albeit I see a lot of possibilities in its use - is a letdown in my view. Apart from all that, my biggest disappointment would be Gali: the mask is not as stylish as the current one, the weapon is strange (what is that thing on the end of the chain? and what can she do with it?) and the overall look is nowhere near as pleasing as this year. On the bright side, Lewa looks great (even though the color scheme is somewhat monochromatic), Umarak is a suprise winner for me (wanted to skip this one, damn you Lego), the builds and functions are satisfying, and there is a nice assortment of recolors/new parts. Kopaka and Tahu are certainly better too than what I expected them to be, but not as stellar as their 2015 iterations - enough said about their issues, I guess.

(And although I've never been collecting 'black' sets, but as much as the gold+solid purple didn't work for me on Onua, the gold and tr. purple look much better this time. Of course, CGI rendering is in effect, so real life might contradict that, but I'm toying with the idea of buying Onua this time.)

Edited by wghost

Still looks purple to me... Not as vibrant as the other Tr. Purple, but there's definitely purple there. Seems like a rendering issue.

Also, it occurred to me that the Creature heads are going to be pretty big. They need to accommodate a mask under there, after all.

Sure, it looks like it has a hint of purple on the main picture, but on the others it looks completely grey.

Hang on, so does anyone know whether setswill be released before christmasthis year?

The official release date is January 1st in most countires. If they where released prior they would be available December 1st and we would already know about it. However, many people (including myself) where able to find sets early last year because some retailers (in this case Target) go ahead and fill their shelves that are being bled dry by Christmas shopping.

Has anyone else noticed that Ketar's neck uses a 4M bone in Dark Bley while every other 4M bone on him is in Tr. Neon Green? In a similar vein, a question was asked earlier as to why Onua doesn't use the 5M hinge bone in Tr. Purple- it's because the ones on his legs are Dark Bley and it's better to include one more of a part in the same color then the same part in a different color.

Still speaking on color choices, does anyone else wonder if Lego will end up making all 3M axles Yellow like the red 2m axles and blue 2M pin/axles? I can also spot a 5M axle in Yellow on Uxar's back.

Still speaking on color choices, does anyone else wonder if Lego will end up making all 3M axles Yellow like the red 2m axles and blue 2M pin/axles? I can also spot a 5M axle in Yellow on Uxar's back.

For right now, some Technic and Bionicle sets are using yellow axles and others are sticking with grey ones. Maybe that's just to clear out old stock of grey pins, but it's also possible that the two colors will continue to exist as alternates depending on what set they come in, same as how blue half-pins never fully replaced grey ones and the two colors continue to coexist.

Sure, it looks like it has a hint of purple on the main picture, but on the others it looks completely grey.

Oh, yes, you're right. (I should look at all the pictures next time)

Regardless, I'm still holding out hope that it's a rendering error. I know people said it'd be a nice callback to Korgot's silver shoulder pads, but I think it'd be strange if all the Toa had blended crystals in their primary Trans Color and Onua got gray.

I believe that Onua's crystal add ons are trans clear, and his trans purple bones are showing through, hence the purplish tint. Of course we won't know for sure till someone has the sets in hand for confirmation.

For right now, some Technic and Bionicle sets are using yellow axles and others are sticking with grey ones. Maybe that's just to clear out old stock of grey pins, but it's also possible that the two colors will continue to exist as alternates depending on what set they come in, same as how blue half-pins never fully replaced grey ones and the two colors continue to coexist.

Well, in next year TECHNIC Police Interceptor there seems to be a 7M axle in yellow (is either that or two 3M ones). So what I'm assuming is that 3M, 7M and (maybe) will become regularly yellow eventualy, while 5M and 9M will remain light grey...

Anyway... the 2016 are slowly growing on me. Still I don't like how their body is now 10 modules long instead of 9 while their legs and arms are even shorter than the ones they had this year. Still I'm not sure I'll buy all six of them, probably gonna order any pieces that I find interesting through Brick & Pieces, That is, unless they're not available, like happened with the skull gang.

Edited by Darking

I believe that Onua's crystal add ons are trans clear, and his trans purple bones are showing through, hence the purplish tint. Of course we won't know for sure till someone has the sets in hand for confirmation.

Yeah, after looking at it more, I realize that. Plus, Terak's head and Onua's gold mask are both gold with Tr. Purple blend, so there shouldn't be any rendering issues with the crystal add-on if they were purple.

Chances are it's going to be clear... :/

Weird rendering or does the earth creature really have black hordika necks? Would be nice to have them in real sets and not just from illicit German bricklink stores.

And a new axle connector on the kylo ren piece connecting it to the chan on the scorpion's trap?

Otherwise, eh? The don't look terrible, but I could do without the unnecessarily complex "needs more custom" 2007 era (our modern DA era) moc limbs. Complexity for its own sake is inherently bad design.

Weird rendering or does the earth creature really have black hordika necks? Would be nice to have them in real sets and not just from illicit German bricklink stores.

And a new axle connector on the kylo ren piece connecting it to the chan on the scorpion's trap?

1) Not sure, you might be right! It looked grey to me at first glance though.

2) Yep, it also appears on the Creature of Fire's talons, and in some sets from other themes like Nexo Knights.

1) Not sure, you might be right! It looked grey to me at first glance though.

2) Yep, it also appears on the Creature of Fire's talons, and in some sets from other themes like Nexo Knights.

Kopaka's sword uses the same hilt piece, too.

Kopaka's sword uses the same hilt piece, too.

He wasn't talking about the hilt piece, but rather, the Technic piece it's attached to on the stone shadow trap.

I mean, we've known that it wouldn't be on the final poster - that was apparent from the one in the background in the Mask Maker videos. The weird thing is that it was there in the first place.

It's not even a placeholder, since nothing replaced it.

The Toa's masks all have Nuva symbols, so I suppose the MoC might originally have had Mata Nui as a corresponding callback.