VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

A simple Google search does the trick, honestly. As for the images: the patterns on the Toa/Creature masks are more visible for sure.

What did you search though?

Finding them isn't hard, you need to look for the right name, but I won't hint at it any further.

Found 'em.

And as expected, once larger, clearer images came out, the sets would start to grow on me. They really look pretty good. I'm not going to analyze them to death, but there is one thing:

Akida. It's been bothering me for some time, but I just can't figure out what's going on with the body. I feel like there's some function to make the guns fire in tandem, but I don't see any gears or anything connected to the backs of them. Plus, there seems to be wheels (the same parts from the back of Ekimu's hammer), that would seem like you'd turn to activate something... I'm very curious.

Oh, and on the Mask of Control. I'm positive there is nothing carved into the mask aside from the runes on the forehead ridge, cheeks, and chin. No Okoto or Mata Nui symbol on there. I will admit there is some strange blur, but it isn't well defined like the rest of the details making me believe it's just some trick of the lighting.

Then again these are still confidential photos, so I'm not sure how far along in the design stage they are. So at least for these images, there's nothing on the MoCo.

And as expected, once larger, clearer images came out, the sets would start to grow on me. They really look pretty good. I'm not going to analyze them to death, but there is one thing:

Akida. It's been bothering me for some time, but I just can't figure out what's going on with the body. I feel like there's some function to make the guns fire in tandem, but I don't see any gears or anything connected to the backs of them. Plus, there seems to be wheels (the same parts from the back of Ekimu's hammer), that would seem like you'd turn to activate something... I'm very curious.

I bet that Akida has a lever that flips the guns down and locks them in place for Gali's use in Unity mode. That might be what the wheels are for.

Yeah a nice hint on what to Google. "Bionicle 2016" only brings up old news, half of which is a link to a ridiculous Toa Mahri Return in 2016 joke on TTV, or a Bohrok 2016 joke...

Edited by xboxtravis7992

Yeah a nice hint on what to Google. "Bionicle 2016" only brings up old news, half of which is a link to a ridiculous Toa Mahri Return in 2016 joke on TTV, or a Bohrok 2016 joke...

An Italian website named "Terminal Video". If that doesn't help try to search certain forums, YouTube videos or blogs.

So Most likely, Kopaka and Melum Unity is 25$? Just think that Obi-Wan and Kylo at least cost the same. This really shows how much the license takes.

The new images definitely improve the image of the sets, including Gali's swimming cap mask along with the others, very much getting a Nuva vibe from the masks. I think they leave a great foundation to mod into spectacular designs, and the gear function seems very exciting.

So the Earth Crystals really seem to be a blend of grey and tr. purple, plus we don't seem to be getting 5m tr. purple shells, only 4m ones. On the positive side, those studs on Onua's Gatllehammer (Gatling gun + battlehammer) are definitely tr. purple. The runes will definitely make the Creature heads less useful to me though. Also, way way too much technic in all of these, as far as I can tell.

Edited by DraikNova

So the Earth Crystals really seem to be a blend of grey and tr. purple

I don't really see it, it's clearly trans-purple, maybe with some little rendering error that makes it look like a blend of purple and grey, but I'm pretty sure the sets will have a proper trans-purple blended in those pieces.

The runes on the masks and creature heads are amazing. So detailed, I love it. Considering i'm more of a collector than a moc'ist, this makes me very happy. :D

I noticed that all the Toa have blue eyes this time around. Bit of a shame but at least its not the green eyes=good guy, red eyes=bad guy that some of the later years of Bionicle G1 had.

I noticed that all the Toa have blue eyes this time around. Bit of a shame but at least its not the green eyes=good guy, red eyes=bad guy that some of the later years of Bionicle G1 had.

...Isn't it exactly that? Just no green. So far all the villains including Umarak have had red/orange eyes. Though for a surprise, not every trap seems to have red eyes but also blue.

Edited by GK733

I think the only thing I don't like about these sets that I can't easily fix is the fact that the Toa seem to all have blue eyes. I prefer some level of variety, even if it's just two different colours. Not the end of the world, though.

I think the only thing I don't like about these sets that I can't easily fix is the fact that the Toa seem to all have blue eyes. I prefer some level of variety, even if it's just two different colours. Not the end of the world, though.

I don't mind the blue eyes aesthetically speaking, but what bugs me is the inconsistency with the 2015 wave - the 2015 Toa that had yellow eyes now suddenly have blue eyes.

Also, I realized that Uxar would pair very well with Umarak! If Umarak has the Uniter feature as well, that is.

I don't mind the blue eyes aesthetically speaking, but what bugs me is the inconsistency with the 2015 wave - the 2015 Toa that had yellow eyes now suddenly have blue eyes.

Also, I realized that Uxar would pair very well with Umarak! If Umarak has the Uniter feature as well, that is.

He does indeed!

Still don't like the Uniters or Umarak very much, but that does mean that I get to revamp them. I kinda missed that after the 2015 Toa were so good it was unnecessary.

The critters are great and I can't not love the Nuva symbols on all the Toa.

But god, all that ugly technic taking away from proper CCBS designs. Blech.

Am I the only one who noticed that the creature boxes still show full golden masks instead of blended ones ? :P

-Iben

Am I the only one who noticed that the creature boxes still show full golden masks instead of blended ones ? :P

Well, most likely an error - it's not unlike how the prototype MoC ended up on the Hero Pack.

Edited by wghost

Funnily enough, out of the original 6 I always thought the Kakama was one of the more feminine looking ones, and now the new Mask of Stone is closer to it than the 2015 version was. It's very subjective though.