VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

So, I was looking over the images I had of these sets earlier and trying to figure out how all the new Masks attach (to plan a wall display with the right attachments for every mask). It's clear to me that the Toa and Umarak still use the head connector block this year's sets had, but it's not clear to me if the Creatures use that same piece to attach their masks as well. Anybody able to help me see how the Creature's masks attach?

I would keep the Creatures colours as they are. Gold looks kind of gaudy with the Water, Jungle (I swear I was about to type Air) and Stone colour schemes.

I wonder how they'd look with fully transparent masks (in their elemental colours I mean), but whatever they do the sets in Summer aren't enough to get all 6 (I doubt Ekimu and Umarak include whatever extra masks the Beasts have).

I hope we still get one or two exclusive masks. Hopefully not another Hau..Umarak's mask would be cool.

Maybe we indeed are overthinking about it. Instead of being creatures forced together the beasts could very well just be summoned by Umarak.

This probably goes in the Story topic, but I think he either awakens them because they're legendary entities like the Creatures or he creates them, possibly with Makuta's help.

So, I was looking over the images I had of these sets earlier and trying to figure out how all the new Masks attach (to plan a wall display with the right attachments for every mask). It's clear to me that the Toa and Umarak still use the head connector block this year's sets had, but it's not clear to me if the Creatures use that same piece to attach their masks as well. Anybody able to help me see how the Creature's masks attach?

Looking at the magazine image of Umarak and Tahu/Ikir it appears a 4M length trans-orange bone connects to Ikir's head piece so I'm guessing the Creature's head mold is a single piece with a socket.

I'm not sure why everybody seems to be automatically assuming the silver creature heads and gold masks won't look good together? We haven't seen them together so it's impossible to know for sure. Believe it or not, silver and gold CAN look good together. Artists and artisans have been using them together for centuries, and LEGO designers and MOCists have managed it on several occasions as well. Just look at Ekimu's shield as one recent example. Or the Sir Jayko, Sir Rascus, Sir Danju, and King Jayko sets from 2005–2006.

Personally, I found that the gold masks looked good on just about all this year's Toa, whether or not they had other gold armor besides that. And I don't see why the 2015 Toa should be any different, with or without the creatures attached. But somehow, people seem to have gotten it into their heads that the creature heads MUST match the Toa's masks or else it's an aesthetic disaster. I think it's only fair to wait and see. Maybe a contrasting color will look better than most of us could have anticipated.

Now, as for those who really just want a wider variety of masks in Silver, I can sympathize with that. Silver's a great color for MOCs, after all.

It may look good, but I just feel it detracts from the unity thing. Looking at combined Tahu, it looks like he's wearing one mask. Like, Ikir and Tahu actually fused completely together, masks included, to make a new dude. Having the masks different colors, it just won't have the same illusion to me and look more like the creatures are eating the Toa's heads...

But who knows. On the flip side, it may be a nice parallel to the regularly colored masks having a silver blend. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

So this.

http://brickset.com/...-on-december-1s

I'd expect the images before the launch, so in the next two weeks.

In case the US release happens earlier like this could mean.

Note that Bionicle isn't among the themes that are being released on December 1. It's just City, Creator, Technic, and Disney Princess. Bionicle will probably be coming in January, same as this year.

Haah thanks for all the feedback, I'm currently working on Onua and the other big ones. And as for the silver masks argument, the situation really shows how much we need mask pacs. Mask pacs > minigifure pacs IMO

Haah thanks for all the feedback, I'm currently working on Onua and the other big ones. And as for the silver masks argument, the situation really shows how much we need mask pacs. Mask pacs > minigifure pacs IMO

Well, yes... but you're a Bionicle fan. The thing about the minifigure packs is that there's something for fans of pretty much EVERY theme, or even for people who don't buy other Lego or haven't in years. I've read plenty of stories about adults who got back into Lego as a direct result of having sought out a must-have figure of one of their interests or professions, and that reigniting their interest in the brand. Whereas to a person who doesn't collect or build with Bionicle sets and parts, a Bionicle mask is just a fairly useless hunk of plastic, and there's nothing a mask pack could really offer them that would make them willing buy one or more packs just to get any one specific mask.

Oh well, I mean I like the minifig packs too and I'm sure more people would rather have them instead of mask packs. Regardless of that, I would rather buy the masks since personally I don't have any use for the minifigs in those packs. But there is no rule that states we can't have.... ~both~

Well, yes... which is why he said "IMO."

I recognize that. I was just pointing out that the opinions of Bionicle fans are almost always going to be skewed toward "more masks", compared to the public at large, which has significantly less interest in the idea of collectible masks. I would also love a wider selection of mask colors, but saying mask packs are a good idea over and over doesn't make it so, and unless the Bionicle theme experiences a sudden rise in popularity, I don't see that status quo changing much in the near future.

I recognize that. I was just pointing out that the opinions of Bionicle fans are almost always going to be skewed toward "more masks", compared to the public at large, which has significantly less interest in the idea of collectible masks. I would also love a wider selection of mask colors, but saying mask packs are a good idea over and over doesn't make it so, and unless the Bionicle theme experiences a sudden rise in popularity, I don't see that status quo changing much in the near future.

Yeah I don't think the mask packs were even super popular back in the day. I always felt the packs shifting towards "Ammo Packs" was a sign that it was less about collecting and more about adding additional play features to the sets.

Still I do wish we had mask packs still around, $3 for 3 or 4 masks would be a lot easier than going on Bricklink and trying to claim ONE old mask for $10! If anybody invents a time machine, I'm going back to 2001 to buy up entire boxes of Mask Packs...

I always felt the packs shifting towards "Ammo Packs" was a sign that it was less about collecting and more about adding additional play features to the sets.

I always wondered why they stopped putting launchers in the ammo packs. It's a shame they only did it with the Kanoka, as it would have helped them be more than just, saw, marbles or rubber fish.

$3 for 3 or 4 masks would be a lot easier than going on Bricklink and trying to claim ONE old mask for $10!

This made me wonder- what would be the price per mask if mask packs where released today? Surely they would have to be more than that. This also makes me wonder what kind of packaging a modern mask pack would use- is the CMF pouch a good size, or would it have to be different thanks to the shapes and size of masks?

This are some interesting points, but I feel we are getting off topic. Anyway as for the 2016 uniters I feel that both Melum and Terak are useless when in unity mode. They are literally just helmet and shoulderpads. I feel like Gali's unity mode is the best when in combat along with Pohatu's. Lewas and Tahus mode is the best in strategy and agility. But Onuas and Kopakas are just eh..the best in defense...? Shoulder defense?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong I like Terak (Melum is still meh) by itself, but the unity seems like and uneeded upgrade.

Edited by Hawkeye616

This are some interesting points, but I feel we are getting off topic. Anyway as for the 2016 uniters I feel that both Melum and Terak are useless when in unity mode. They are literally just helmet and shoulderpads. I feel like Gali's unity mode is the best when in combat along with Pohatu's. Lewas and Tahus mode is the best in strategy and agility. But Onuas and Kopakas are just eh..the best in defense...? Shoulder defense?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong I like Terak (Melum is still meh) by itself, but the unity seems like and uneeded upgrade.

I can see the value of it, as it is some extra armor for defense. Onua doesn't really need it as he already has great, bulky shoulderpads, but Kopaka's are rather slim. Once I get them in-hand, I will try an idea thrown around here to bring Terak's paws around on Onua's chest, bulking him out and filling out his gappy shoulders.

I can see the value of it, as it is some extra armor for defense. Onua doesn't really need it as he already has great, bulky shoulderpads, but Kopaka's are rather slim. Once I get them in-hand, I will try an idea thrown around here to bring Terak's paws around on Onua's chest, bulking him out and filling out his gappy shoulders.

What if Terak's paws do go around his chest? We haven't seen the Onua/Terak combo yet right?

Yeah,but the small glowing carvings on the box art show that Onua's combination is the exact same as Kopaka's (the exact same drawings representing Melum/Terak and Kopaka/Onua. They aren't even trying to hide that Melum is a copy of Terak), with Terak's paws turning into shoulder pads.

So Onua has that type of combo too.

And speaking of which, anyone plan to mod Melum a bit? I think it needs longer limbs, and possibly something else. Its huge paws and rhino horn pretty much imply these Creatures can be any type of crazy chimera we can think of. And, while none of them are reptiles, their head mold is quite reptilian.

Which is to say, I think designers are pretty much implicitly telling us to go all out with these little buggers. So I might try to build a Creature for Ekimu and Umarak (the Hunter) too.

Edited by Shakar

I'm modding every single one of these new sets, even the ones I like. (which is most of them, TBF) I'll be modding the Toa to resemble powered-up versions of their 2015 selves, I'll be modding Umarak to be a bit bulkier, and I'll be modding all the critters into different things because I'll likely be stealing some of their parts for the Toa.

Modding and being creative is the best part of Bionicle. Especially now that we have more technic integration, there's more parts I can use.

Edited by One Very Agile Cat

I'm modding every single one of these new sets, even the ones I like. (which is most of them, TBF) I'll be modding the Toa to resemble powered-up versions of their 2015 selves, I'll be modding Umarak to be a bit bulkier, and I'll be modding all the critters into different things because I'll likely be stealing some of their parts for the Toa.

Modding and being creative is the best part of Bionicle. Especially now that we have more technic integration, there's more parts I can use.

Admittedly the only 2015 set I've modded is The Protector of Fire's stubby arms... He looks so much better with long arms!

The 2016 sets I don't think I'd mod much either, but my issue with them is that they don't look different enough from the current sets to justify another purchase. Maybe my opinion will be changed once high res pictures sneak onto Shop@Home...

...Why am I always late when you guys post some interesting news? I need to improve on my web assiduity. :grin:

Regarding the "official images", I think they look a lot better than the prelims; but I can't quite put my finger on what exactly changed. Maybe the darker colors seem more balanced.

But I still think Tahu has too much gold. :tongue:

As for the MoCo: yes, it's not like the animated version, and honestly the horns could be angled better. Other than that, though, it looks fine to me; if you take the side horns it kinda reminds me of a gasmask, which in turn reminds me of the Dreamhelm from Sandman.

EDIT: The one thing that really annoys me are the new Golden Masks. Normally, I'd find them cool, but it's the third type of trans-blend masks in a row (Protector and Corrupted Golden), and the second type of trans-blend Golden masks in a row (Corrupted). And with the trans always on the same spot: the back of the mask. Honestly, it's getting a bit repetitive.

Yeah I don't think the mask packs were even super popular back in the day. I always felt the packs shifting towards "Ammo Packs" was a sign that it was less about collecting and more about adding additional play features to the sets.

Still I do wish we had mask packs still around, $3 for 3 or 4 masks would be a lot easier than going on Bricklink and trying to claim ONE old mask for $10! If anybody invents a time machine, I'm going back to 2001 to buy up entire boxes of Mask Packs...

I can only speak for myself, but I never saw any interest in any of these collectibles; at least not until I discovered they had a purpose in-story and by then it was too late to buy any of them (at a reasonable price).

Which is to say, I think designers are pretty much implicitly telling us to go all out with these little buggers. So I might try to build a Creature for Ekimu and Umarak (the Hunter) too.

If you do such a thing, please do show it to us. :thumbup:

Edited by The Outsider

Admittedly the only 2015 set I've modded is The Protector of Fire's stubby arms... He looks so much better with long arms!

PoF/Narmoto is the one I've modded the least, actually. I gave him longer arms and turned his tonfa things into just a double-ended sword. Otherwise I liked him.

The 2016 sets I don't think I'd mod much either, but my issue with them is that they don't look different enough from the current sets to justify another purchase. Maybe my opinion will be changed once high res pictures sneak onto Shop@Home...

I mean, they're pretty different since they have totally different torsos, and look to have unique limb builds. But the are very similar, which is why I'm treating them as power-ups instead of full on new bodies.

I love modding my sets. When the 2015 sets came out, I had already analyzed them to death and figured out different things to change on them. I've shared my mods before, though, so I won't mention them here. With the 2016 sets I will hold off on modding them- mostly because I will be waiting for people to take the opportunity and rebuild/combine the sets together from the ground up.

Guuuys! I found another Italian web shop with the sets and prices. Kopaka and Melum is 26 Euro, tho ugh that might translate to 25, it seems like an odd number. (EDIT: Skull Warrior, Lewa and the other mid size sets are 15,50 Euro and MM vs SG is 31 Euro so yeah, it must be a markup the site decided on).

What's more, the images (finalized ones) are larger, at around 900 x 1260. The CONFIDENTIAL watermark's still there..

All Toa masks do indeed have the Nuva symbols embedded, and the MoCo does have a symbol on its forehead as well, but it doesn't look like Okoto or Mata Nui to me, but it's very faint and hard to see. The Creature heads have a lot of rune-like details, and Umarak's mask has all those lines we already saw. These masks are VERY well designed, the work put into the new pieces is just insane.

Can I link it?

If you do such a thing, please do show it to us. :thumbup:

Thanks! Yep, I'll do it. Edited by Shakar

Guuuys! I found another Italian web shop with the sets and prices. Kopaka and Melum is 26 Euro, tho ugh that might translate to 25, it seems like an odd number. (EDIT: Skull Warrior, Lewa and the other mid size sets are 15,50 Euro and MM vs SG is 31 Euro so yeah, it must be a markup the site decided on).

What's more, the images (finalized ones) are larger, at around 900 x 1260. The CONFIDENTIAL watermark's still there..

All Toa masks do indeed have the Nuva symbols embedded, and the MoCo does have a symbol on its forehead as well, but it doesn't look like Okoto or Mata Nui to me, but it's very faint and hard to see. The Creature heads have a lot of rune-like details, and Umarak's mask has all those lines we already saw. These masks are VERY well designed, the work put into the new pieces is just insane.

Can I link it?

Thanks! Yep, I'll do it.

You can't link it unfortunately...maybe through private messages?

You can't link it unfortunately...maybe through private messages?

A simple Google search does the trick, honestly. As for the images: the patterns on the Toa/Creature masks are more visible for sure.