VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

Personally, the difference in how I see the Masks of Control:

Show version: some kind of elegant gargoyle

Set version: bald guy with a goatee

Neither version really looks excessively evil, but the set version looks less impressive and regal. Less "old smith-king of Okoto" and more "ancient wiseman advisor".

But in comparison, the gearbox design on the 2016 SW figures seems to fix almost every problem with the 2015 gearbox.

Not to jump to conclusions, but I'm fairly certain that the gearbox used in the 2016 SW sets is the same gearbox as the 2015 one. More likely is that the torso design around the gearbox is different. I don't think the 2015 gearbox is bad in the slightest. The only two problems I have have less to do with the gearbox itself and more to do with the general set design, specifically:

1. The gearbox is just bolted onto the back of the standard CCBS torso base.
  2. The shoulders of some of the sets have very large shoulder pads that are very poorly integrated into the rest of the set (Tahu and Gali in particular) that make using the gear function a bit janky.

The waist function was probably only brought into the 2016 sets to help better integrate the creature unity gimmick. I fully suspect that the 2015 gearbox will make a return i n the 2017 sets and be better integrated as well.

While I didn't like it at first, when I got the sets in hand I learned to appreciate the gearboxes. They don't look too bad, they open up extra connection points and they can easily be reused for lots of custom functions.

Pohatu looked like he had lost his left arm, there was no elemental flow to it and the only piece same was his hand. You can't make a fully artificial arm into one working like the other just by changing some armor and somehow this is the case with his uniter model.

I never understood the "looked like he had lost his arm" thing. It seemed pretty clear to me, at least, that he was simply wearing assymetrical armor, with the elemental coloured arm lightly armoured and the elemental energy flowing from it, and the other completely covered. It always seemed odd that the first place people jumped was a replacement robot arm thing.

I mean, when you compare the Mask of Creation to its animation version... the difference there is pretty striking too. The face part is a lot smaller, the layering of the cheeks is different, the brows are a lot more pronounced. The video version was an unrealistic expectation to start with. As long as the final design contains the same level of intricacy as the current MoCr does, I can't complain.

Final MoCr and animation version

Of course, we saw the final MoCr before we saw the animation version, so we didn't have the chance to be disappointed.

I'm on the fence about the latest MoCo. I like the one we saw in September better. The current one isn't bad, but its does look far less dignified and ethereal, judging by the photos we have (which may well prove misleading.) It's funny, as the changes are subtle, but they conspire to significantly alter its demeanor. Hopefully it's not the final version.

As for the animated version, while I like it, with its Nordic (or perhaps pseudo-Nordic) style (reminiscent of G1's Olmak) that rather fits the Anglo-Saxon vibe of Makuta's epithet. However, it is rather indistinct, and I can appreciate that extrapolating a physical object from it is a tricky task. The result was never bound to match up with our preconceptions of it.

My biggest complaint for the current MoCo is the horns. They look flattened from the front, and it really hurts the silhouette. A fan by the name TheShadowMakuta actually edited the MoCo to look more like the animations.

8d928b4e97bfbe46cc117bc678400960ccda09ae.jpg

Speaking of masks, I feel like Lego has gone all Kanohi Nuva on us again with this crystal stuff. The Toa all look like they're wearing grey anime cosplay wigs, and it just doesn't work for me at all. Sure, it looks cool on the golden masks with the translucent colour, but on the standard masks it just looks really off. Aside from that, I also really must question Tahu's receded jawline, and Pohatu's softer, demasculated facial shape. Seriously, Pohatu looks to be about 20 years younger.

That said, Lewa's masks looks great, as the crystalline spikes actually integrate pretty well, and the pointier, more Miru-esque facial shape just looks excellent. Gali and Kopaka's masks also look good in the face, but the crystals again just don't really suit them - especially Gali, who looks like she has brushed-back hair.

Edited by Logan McOwen

Aside from that, I also really must question Tahu's receded jawline.

Well, that's the main reason why I think the new Mask of Fire is a huge improvement over the 2015 one. 2015 Tahu's lantern jaw looked very over the top and coupled with his small, close-set eyes it made him look like a stereotypical dumb brute.

Speaking of masks, I feel like Lego has gone all Kanohi Nuva on us again with this crystal stuff. The Toa all look like they're wearing grey anime cosplay wigs, and it just doesn't work for me at all. Sure, it looks cool on the golden masks with the translucent colour, but on the standard masks it just looks really off. Aside from that, I also really must question Tahu's receded jawline, and Pohatu's softer, demasculated facial shape. Seriously, Pohatu looks to be about 20 years younger.

I totally agree. And you know what bothers me even more ? The "creature head as a hat" function will look quite weird in Pohatu/Gali/Lewa when you combine a gold mask with a silver head. In terms of colours, I feel like Lego just went completely beserk and made all kinds of clashing stuff; the crystal stuff being an excellent example of this.µ

It's one of the two things I consider to be better in the 2015 wave. The colours felt a lot more natural and just overall well thought out than this years sets; and at least we got a bunch of unique weapons instead of the same swords over and over and over again. Needless to say, I'm not a big fan of those swords ._.

-Iben

Edited by Iben

I like the whole crystal theme, it's something I've been wanting for a while, so I like the add-ons and the weapons. But the "anime hair", as many have dubbed it by now, looks odd and actually limits the use of otherwise pretty good masks.

The silver coloured top isn't even that terrible to me, it's the crystal/spiky pattern that makes them look odd. I would've probably liked the new Hau (yes, I'll use the G1 terms. It's shorter) more than the 2015 one if it weren't for that. And when once we finally get an Akaku with a customizeable eyepiece (I rather not count the 2008 form), again there's this pattern.

And yeah, I'm sorry but the gold masks on the 3 smaller Toa make no sense. It works with the 3 larger Toa because it feels like the Creature heads become part of their masks (it looks great on Tahu and Kopaka), but that effect is lost on the other 3. It's going to be a weird effect on them, with the silver Creature head sitting on top of a gold mask.

It's too bad because I think these are really good masks, though some are much less faithful to their 2001 versions than the 2015 were (the 2016 Mask of Earth, for example, looks nothing like any G1 Pakari). I'm sounding negative, but I atually like these. I just don't think the spiky crystal tops were needed.

Regarding the Beasts, here are some concepts I would like them to feature:

Quake Beast: Caecilian, something in the same aesthetic as Shadow of the Collosus' Pelagia or maybe a monstrous termite (besides the digging, termites will also explode to defend their nests if necessary).

Storm Beast: Thunderbird would be obvious, so why not go for another kind of archosaur and make an electric azhdarchid instead? Much more menacing-looking and therefore more suited for a villainous role. Otherwise, maybe some kind of flying electric eel thing.

Lava Beast: Salamander. Definitely a salamander, with molten lava in tr. orange as its main layer and with solidified black lava as armor for its upper back, like some of Nexo Knights' villains.

EDIT: Also, Terak's light grey armor add-ons worry me.

Well let's see:

If the Beasts can combine with Umarak the Destroyer like many are speculating, each should be able to give him something special like the Creatures do to the Toa (and to Umarak the Hunter). And they should probably have a common colour, like black, so they can match Umarak better.

-Storm Beast: I definitely want it to be a flying creature, so it can give Umarak a pair of wings (LoMN Makuta anyone? Aaaanyooooneeee?). I'd prefer a bird, because we've never had a bird villain in Bionicle (I don't count Nivawk, he was just a pet Rahi). A bird/reptile creature would be cool too, though.

Colours: black and tr. light blue.

-Lava Beast: agreed with salamander. Colours: black and tr. reddish orange.

-Quake Beast: I keep picturing it as a bulky monster, but I don't know why. I guess I think Quake = Earth = bulky. It could be a heavily armoured creature with big hands that connects to Umarak and gives him a pair of big shoulder pads, like Terak and Melum.

Colours: black and tr. purple.

The Beasts this way would reflect the three types of Creatures, depending on their features and what they add to their Toa:

-Storm: winged type (Ikir and Uxar)

-Lava: tailed type (Ketar and Akida)

-Quake: armour type (Terak and Melum).

Just speculation, of course.

I like the whole crystal theme, it's something I've been wanting for a while, so I like the add-ons and the weapons. But the "anime hair", as many have dubbed it by now, looks odd and actually limits the use of otherwise pretty good masks.

The silver coloured top isn't even that terrible to me, it's the crystal/spiky pattern that makes them look odd. I would've probably liked the new Hau (yes, I'll use the G1 terms. It's shorter) more than the 2015 one if it weren't for that. And when once we finally get an Akaku with a customizeable eyepiece (I rather not count the 2008 form), again there's this pattern.

And yeah, I'm sorry but the gold masks on the 3 smaller Toa make no sense. It works with the 3 larger Toa because it feels like the Creature heads become part of their masks (it looks great on Tahu and Kopaka), but that effect is lost on the other 3. It's going to be a weird effect on them, with the silver Creature head sitting on top of a gold mask.

It's too bad because I think these are really good masks, though some are much less faithful to their 2001 versions than the 2015 were (the 2016 Mask of Earth, for example, looks nothing like any G1 Pakari). I'm sounding negative, but I atually like these. I just don't think the spiky crystal tops were needed.

Well let's see:

If the Beasts can combine with Umarak the Destroyer like many are speculating, each should be able to give him something special like the Creatures do to the Toa (and to Umarak the Hunter). And they should probably have a common colour, like black, so they can match Umarak better.

-Storm Beast: I definitely want it to be a flying creature, so it can give Umarak a pair of wings (LoMN Makuta anyone? Aaaanyooooneeee?). I'd prefer a bird, because we've never had a bird villain in Bionicle (I don't count Nivawk, he was just a pet Rahi). A bird/reptile creature would be cool too, though.

Colours: black and tr. light blue.

-Lava Beast: agreed with salamander. Colours: black and tr. reddish orange.

-Quake Beast: I keep picturing it as a bulky monster, but I don't know why. I guess I think Quake = Earth = bulky. It could be a heavily armoured creature with big hands that connects to Umarak and gives him a pair of big shoulder pads, like Terak and Melum.

Colours: black and tr. purple.

The Beasts this way would reflect the three types of Creatures, depending on their features and what they add to their Toa:

-Storm: winged type (Ikir and Uxar)

-Lava: tailed type (Ketar and Akida)

-Quake: armour type (Terak and Melum).

Just speculation, of course.

Going into the creatures, I hope that Lego could take this opportunity to reuse some colors that have not been used in a while as secondary colors, following your idea of black being the primary color. My ideas where for Quake to have Dark Bley, Lava to use (Opaque) Orange, and Storm to use (Opaque) Yellow.

Personally, I would like to see storm use a combination of purple and lavender. Lightning comes in many colors, but purple lightning is by far the coolest, and while purple is being produced in large amounts, we haven't had any lavender CCBS pieces yet.

Personally, I would like to see storm use a combination of purple and lavender. Lightning comes in many colors, but purple lightning is by far the coolest, and while purple is being produced in large amounts, we haven't had any lavender CCBS pieces yet.

Maybe we indeed are overthinking about it. Instead of being creatures forced together the beasts could very well just be summoned by Umarak.

I wonder why we haven't gotten the official set pictures yet, considering that they're are going to be out in a little over a month.

Generally they release pics about a month before the sets come out.

Maybe we indeed are overthinking about it. Instead of being creatures forced together the beasts could very well just be summoned by Umarak.

While I still really love that theory, I doubt it will happen. I don't really see how it was mentioned though, as all I read was about color schemes.

Generally they release pics about a month before the sets come out.

As far as I know, it isn't that they officially announce the sets and show pictures. The official pictures come out when Lego uploads them to the servers ahead of being available on S@H (in the same way that the MoCr header was found on Lego's image servers), and said pictures usually show up from 2-5 weeks early.

That said, Lewa's masks looks great, as the crystalline spikes actually integrate pretty well, and the pointier, more Miru-esque facial shape just looks excellent. Gali and Kopaka's masks also look good in the face, but the crystals again just don't really suit them - especially Gali, who looks like she has brushed-back hair.

I was thrown off by Pohatu a bit at first - like you said, he looks so young now - but I realized that he's actually closer to his Nuva mask! The patterns on his face are rounder. It's most evident in his eye holes, the throwback to his Nuva mask is quite noticeable. (I can't for the life of me recall the name of Pohatu's Kanohi)

If you look at the boxes of the toa, you can seed diagrams of the combos. What you did is actually what they are. (unless I'm not paying enough attention, and it's already been discussed.)

I know, but they're literally just tiny doodles, I wanted to make the whole thin, or at least what I would like to see :^)

Those look pretty nice. Your style is faithful to the sets while showing a cartoony personality I quite like.

I think the way you drew them is the right one, but Pohatu's box art shows Ketar's arms pointing upwards, giving Pohatu a pair of wing-like appendages.

I think I see why they didn't go for the silver masks. They look kind of skull-like- which does make them look evil and/or dead. But I still want silver masks, dammit. Maybe with the Beasts (2 Masks each Beast?)?

I'm starting to REALLY like the orange on Gali. I was never against it to begin with (orange on blue sets is nothing new *), but I think I even prefer it to yellow now. It looks vibrant and makes her closer to a sea creature (a goldfish? Coral?), compared to Master Gali's scuba diver look. And I really like the trans dark blue too.

* = look at Gahlok and its Krana- people who complain about Uniter Tahu's blue should, for similar reasons, compare him to Tahnok.

EDIT: Aw I meant Ketar, not Terak of course lol.

Edited by Shakar

Those look pretty nice. Your style is faithful to the sets while showing a cartoony personality I quite like.

I think the way you drew them is the right one, but Pohatu's box art shows Terak's arms pointing upwards, giving Pohatu a pair of wing-like appendages.

I think I see why they didn't go for the silver masks. They look kind of skull-like- which does make them look evil and/or dead. But I still want silver masks, dammit. Maybe with the Beasts (2 Masks each Beast?)?

I'm starting to REALLY like the orange on Gali. I was never against it to begin with (orange on blue sets is nothing new *), but I think I even prefer it to yellow now. It looks vibrant and makes her closer to a sea creature (a goldfish? Coral?), compared to Master Gali's scuba diver look. And I really like the trans dark blue too.

* = look at Gahlok and its Krana- people who complain about Uniter Tahu's blue should, for similar reasons, compare him to Tahnok.

Honestly, I would have rather made all the Creature heads' primary color be Gold. It might have looked out of place on the individual set (maybe make the 'Piece of Unification' Gold as well...?), but it could possibly look better than a silver head on a golden mask.

The gold masks clashing with the silver creature heads really is counter-productive to the whole 'unification' thing. I also really like Gali having orange in her color scheme, it offers a nice contrast. I am also glad she will have trans dark blue. It definitely works a lot better as her elemental color otherwise she and Kopaka would be sharing the same shade of trans blue like this year. I don't think the Pohatu/Ketar combination is going to look very good. the blades are just going to be sticking out and Ketar's function isn't really going to work well. Gali's combiner will work much better I think. Having Gatling guns on her shoulders and a shark tail will look very cool.

I think the way you drew them is the right one, but Pohatu's box art shows Terak's arms pointing upwards, giving Pohatu a pair of wing-like appendages.

I agree, and that's the source of what's pretty much my only complaint about the new Lewa—I feel like his color scheme would be cooler if it had a contrasting color like red. And while you could work in red parts easily (perhaps switching the admittedly-luscious Trans. Bright Green Bohrok eyes for red ones), I feel like the chest plate in particular would look better with a contrasting color for the Nuva symbol.

I'll definitely be trying a few mods/revamps next year—I don't dislike the sets, but there are aspects of them all that I think could be better, and based on the apparent versatility of some of the new parts I think there are definitely things I could do about them.

I'm not sure why everybody seems to be automatically assuming the silver creature heads and gold masks won't look good together? We haven't seen them together so it's impossible to know for sure. Believe it or not, silver and gold CAN look good together. Artists and artisans have been using them together for centuries, and LEGO designers and MOCists have managed it on several occasions as well. Just look at Ekimu's shield as one recent example. Or the Sir Jayko, Sir Rascus, Sir Danju, and King Jayko sets from 2005–2006.

Personally, I found that the gold masks looked good on just about all this year's Toa, whether or not they had other gold armor besides that. And I don't see why the 2015 Toa should be any different, with or without the creatures attached. But somehow, people seem to have gotten it into their heads that the creature heads MUST match the Toa's masks or else it's an aesthetic disaster. I think it's only fair to wait and see. Maybe a contrasting color will look better than most of us could have anticipated.

Now, as for those who really just want a wider variety of masks in Silver, I can sympathize with that. Silver's a great color for MOCs, after all.