VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

These new pics don't really show much that the least ones didn't, besides a little of the inner workings of the torsos, but I still love how these look. Much better than 2015's IMO. I actually really like all the technic, (with the exception of Tahu's swords), but then I always suspected I would. The 2015 line was great, but could never hake the feeling that they looked like HF characters with masks slapped on them.

Slightly disappointed that Kopaka's shoulders appear to be silver rather than white, but it still looks OK on him. Just wish he didn't have that gold on his legs :/

These new pics don't really show much that the least ones didn't, besides a little of the inner workings of the torsos, but I still love how these look. Much better than 2015's IMO. I actually really like all the technic, (with the exception of Tahu's swords), but then I always suspected I would. The 2015 line was great, but could never hake the feeling that they looked like HF characters with masks slapped on them.

Slightly disappointed that Kopaka's shoulders appear to be silver rather than white, but it still looks OK on him. Just wish he didn't have that gold on his legs :/

To be honest I kind of wish his shoulders were gold. Not only would it call back to this year's design, but it'd help balance the gold in his color scheme. I can't see how white would look much better... while it'd be a new recolor, I think that combined with the torso might be TOO much white concentrated in a very small space.

Regarding the Beasts, here are some concepts I would like them to feature:

Quake Beast: Caecilian, something in the same aesthetic as Shadow of the Collosus' Pelagia or maybe a monstrous termite (besides the digging, termites will also explode to defend their nests if necessary).

Storm Beast: Thunderbird would be obvious, so why not go for another kind of archosaur and make an electric azhdarchid instead? Much more menacing-looking and therefore more suited for a villainous role. Otherwise, maybe some kind of flying electric eel thing.

Lava Beast: Salamander. Definitely a salamander, with molten lava in tr. orange as its main layer and with solidified black lava as armor for its upper back, like some of Nexo Knights' villains.

EDIT: Also, Terak's light grey armor add-ons worry me.

Edited by DraikNova

Regarding the Beasts, here are some concepts I would like them to feature:

Quake Beast: Caecilian, something in the same aesthetic as Shadow of the Collosus' Pelagia or maybe a monstrous termite (besides the digging, termites will also explode to defend their nests if necessary).

Storm Beast: Thunderbird would be obvious, so why not go for another kind of archosaur and make an electric azhdarchid instead? Much more menacing-looking and therefore more suited for a villainous role. Otherwise, maybe some kind of flying electric eel thing.

Lava Beast: Salamander. Definitely a salamander, with molten lava in tr. orange as its main layer and with solidified black lava as armor for its upper back, like some of Nexo Knights' villains.

EDIT: Also, Terak's light grey armor add-ons worry me.

Where are you getting light grey armor add-ons from? There definitely aren't any such parts in the most up-to-date picture we've gotten. The only shells in the set are black and trans-purple, and the only shell details are gold blended with trans-purple. I don't see any light grey at all, to be honest.

Look at the upper part of the golden crystal add-ons on his paws. They look pretty grey to me. Light grey, to be specific.

It's probably a rendering problem. That part of the piece has been trans purple till now.

Edited by Konahrik

Not even an "almost", I would appreciate any shade of grey in more shells, outside of greyscale metallics. We have dark grey savage-planet "paw" shells, and that's about it. I'd give all the trans-purple shells in the world for a full range of dark and light grey shells in the usual sizes.

If they ever released more CCBS parts in Light Bluish Grey it would be great, especially for fans who didn't like white parts because white parts is easy to been dirty.

The Mask of Control looks fine, I don't know why everyone's complaining.

"Because it's not like the animations :o" is what I've summed it up to be. I like this one, as well, plus I'm not all too sure of how to transition the animation version into set form. For some reason I can't draw a clear image, maybe just my lack of an imagination(oh childhood, where you go?). Am curious though, maybe UmarakTD will get one more accurate to the animations, but that wouldn't make sense story-wise, and in marketing since the box-art features the winter one. Hm.

I eventually grew to like the initial one we saw in the catalog leaks, but it seems like they've again changed it from that design. The side-portrusions (not really sure what to call them) are much flatter and I think the overall silhouette is worsened because of this.

The Mask of Control looks fine, I don't know why everyone's complaining.

Compare the final version to the preliminary one. It looks flat and much less defined. The curved horns have been flattened and they made the chin bigger and less pointy for some reason. It looks much less "elegant" and imposing in my opinion.

Personally, I don't mind how Technic-heavy the new sets are. CCBS looks more streamlined (which I don't even necessarily consider a good thing as far as Bionicle goes) but Technic makes for a more satysfying building experience.

I just noticed that the newest leaks have a "confidential" stamp on them rather than a "preliminary" stamp. So to me it seems the newest leaks might actually be final versions of the sets.

Edit: nvm, i'm dumb. All leaks have a "confidential" stamp on them. Could have sworn older leaks had a "prelim" stamp on them(?).

Edited by Bbrink1996

I just noticed that the newest leaks have a "confidential" stamp on them rather than a "preliminary" stamp. So to me it seems the newest leaks might actually be final versions of the sets.

Edit: nvm, i'm dumb. All leaks have a "confidential" stamp on them. Could have sworn older leaks had a "prelim" stamp on them(?).

...Yes, these new ones are completely final, we just can't post them because of the confidential stamp. Preliminary stamps are put on, well, the unfinished models.

Aw man... Just realized Kopaka/Melum doesn't come with a bear trap...

So we got only five of those little guys? Unless you want to count Umarak's shoulder pads, but I don't.

Kinda sad since they're super cool. But then I'd have a bunch of bear traps I wouldn't know what to do with... Like all my Skull Spiders, so I guess I won't complain.

So we got only five of those little guys? Unless you want to count Umarak's shoulder pads, but I don't.

Kinda sad since they're super cool. But then I'd have a bunch of bear traps I wouldn't know what to do with... Like all my Skull Spiders, so I guess I won't complain.

It's a shame, but on the other hand one of the things I love about the shadow traps is how simple yet customizable they seem to be. Considering they all seem to be the same color, it wouldn't be that hard to whip up a custom one for an ice environment.

One possibility for new legs could be those 'Plasma Blade' pieces from Galaxy Squad.

And since Melum looks so miserable as opposed to other creatures I find it likely the set costs only 25$ as opposed to MMvsSG which was 30$

Edited by GK733

The sets look great, but from them all only Umarak is worth a purchase for me. Love him. Don't know why, but I just do. He's great.

Maybe Lewa too but so far only Umarak I absolutely need.

It's a shame, but on the other hand one of the things I love about the shadow traps is how simple yet customizable they seem to be. Considering they all seem to be the same color, it wouldn't be that hard to whip up a custom one for an ice environment.

Yeah, I may have to get some extra trap halves to make my own. Now what legs would work nicely for ice...

One possibility for new legs could be those 'Plasma Blade' pieces from Galaxy Squad.

Oh yes, that would be wonderful. I can't really think what other parts would work for ice.

And while on the subject, I really hope these traps have a similar function like the Raptors from the Jurassic World sets. The Raptors' jaws would click open and shut, so I hope the Traps can do the same. Would be a real bummer if they couldn't... Y'know... Snap shut.

Is it wrong that I like the Traps more than the Toa...?

Yeah, I may have to get some extra trap halves to make my own. Now what legs would work nicely for ice...

Oh yes, that would be wonderful. I can't really think what other parts would work for ice.

And while on the subject, I really hope these traps have a similar function like the Raptors from the Jurassic World sets. The Raptors' jaws would click open and shut, so I hope the Traps can do the same. Would be a real bummer if they couldn't... Y'know... Snap shut.

Is it wrong that I like the Traps more than the Toa...?

We do know for sure that the traps use clicking hinges in the middle, which are visible in the Lego Club picture. And thanks for taking my suggestion as well; I could have sworn they where going to do that anyway at first.

So, few thoughts I've had in regards to Kopaka and Umarak's Destroyer form. If Kopaka is in the $/£25 range, the new large hexagonal box would most likely be only for that tier, right? Which means they'd most likely use it again next year, possibly on UmarakTD, unless they release another set at that price. Or Kopaka's $/£30 and none of this matters.

Curious, how large a figure do people want out of Umarak the destroyer?