VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

Tahu, my baby. Totally not minding that gold anymore.

Also it looks like his swords connect.

Edit #2- Gali's asymmetry just corrected itself with my appeal now drawn closer... still meh about how similar her and Pohatu's weapons are. Also, I see in the future a set with titan-size-leg support using those new armor pieces from Tahu's thighs/Kopaka's shins/Creature torso/slash.

I think 2016 will be a mighty fine year, ladies and gentlemen. -_o

Edited by MakutaOfWar

Tahu's expression is one of solemn derpitude. Also, I really hope that mata nui image doesn't mean anything. Also, the swords definitely connect. Note the axle on one side and lack on the other.

Edited by DraikNova

So what is the deal with Mata Nui on there? They could had literally used anything else to make up for a placeholder, there are already countless of renders of Okoto.

Is it there to stay and is this another nod towards the G1 connection?

Tahu looks like a paladin knight in the poster, and that's awesome. From the picture, it seens that the creatures can be attached to the toa's body, similar to the Toa Phantoka's but cooler. Gali stills suck and Tahu still has too much gold on him.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

Tahu looks like a paladin knight in the poster, and that's awesome. From the picture, it seens that the creatures can be attached to the toa's body, similar to the Toa Phantoka's but cooler. Gali stills suck and Tahu still has too much gold on him.

Personally? Not minding the gold..and Gali isn't too bad for me...I disliked her the most originally...but now she has quite the potential!

That poster looks amazing. Tahu looks amazing. I really like the Skull Armor on his shoulders and the fact that he does have both 6M and 5M Bones in Trans Neon Orange (on his lower legs and upper arms respectively), finally being released in the US. That 6M bone is up for debate though- does the addon look to be 5M or 6M long?

I'm sorta concerned about Mata Nui being there; really hoping it is just a placeholder for Okoto. Also don't like how janky the armor looks on his upper leg there...

VERY glad to see Onua has a black torso as opposed to gold. Very confused as to why Mata Nui is on there.

Maybe that's not Mata Nui, but the Mask Of Control I quess?

Edited by ArmstrongYong

Maybe that's not Mata Nui, but the Mask Of Control I quess?

I think he's referencing the island of Mata Nui, in between the O and N of BIONICLE on the poster.

Very strange seeing Mata Nui on there...

The rest of the poster (and the sets!) look fantastic, though. Sets are much better than the prelims. So glad to see Onua uses a black torso. And now that I can see them more clearly, the new pieces don't look half bad, either.

Seems Gali may still be using her regular blue color, but Lewa's green is definitely darker. Pohatu looks a little darker, but it's hard to tell...

Personally? Not minding the gold..and Gali isn't too bad for me...I disliked her the most originally...but now she has quite the potential!

I actually kind of feel the same! I mean, I didn't dislike her initially, but had no strong feelings. But she's starting to look rather promising.

Hooooolyyy wooow that Tahu. I forgive Lego for making the torso armour one piece- look at all that machinery! And his legs seem to be one module longer now, so let's welcome the new tallest G2 set, though Umarak will most likely beat him.

Onua's torso seems to be black now, that means Gali and Lewa are the only ones without a unique colour for them.

Lewa's and Uxar's "Uniter sword" blades are tr. bright green now (so no "different trans greens clashing together" Syndrome that often hit HF) and Kopaka's sword hilts are silver this time. I wonder if Gali's Uniter sword on her staff is like Kopaka's, fully silver or something else.

Lewa does indeed seem to be Metru green. I wouldn't mind it, as it provides a better contrast both to silver and tr. bright green.

So, a few better shots and colour changes do make the sets seem a bit better, not that I didn't like them before. They just look better, the weapons probably being the weakest elements.

EDIT

Just noticed Onua's upper legs aren't large black shells anymore, but tr. purple 4M shells+gold piston add-ons instead.

Those were really prototypes after all. I wonder if Umarak changed somehow?

Edited by Shakar

I.... didn't even realise that was mata nui... All I thought was "wow, they've really improved Okoto" xD

Tahu's combined form looks sweet. His mask looks a fair bit different from the prelims, but I think it looks better like this. And yeah, the new torso piece is beautiful.

Upon close inspection, I'm pretty sure Onua still has a gold torso that just has a shadow effect from the way he is hunched over, as much as I would like him to have a black torso instead, I'm afraid people are just setting themselves up for disappointment. Same thing with Lewa's color, it's probably the same color but looks different because of shadow and cg effects. Onua's upper legs are different and have the piston add-on attached to more trans-purple shells. I do like the changes to Gali but she is still the weakest Toa by far. I do like the orange and how the 'propeller' on her staff is a brick-built spinning blade as opposed to a system submarine propeller. It still looks rather odd and impractical though and I don't think the asymmetrical armor on her shoulders and thighs work. The should have just put both orange Vorox pieces on her shoulders and the elemental crystal armor on the thighs. Although I suppose that would make her look too similar to Pohatu and Gali. I think I prefer Kopaka with silver blades instead of gold and the MoCo is still the same one from Umarak's image so I'm happy about that. That mask looks very finalized and pretty sweet. The inclusion of the island of Mata Nui on the poster is interesting, but certainly indicates what we are looking at is still preliminary so until we get official white backdrop pictures, these designs are still subject to change slightly.

Edited by ToaDraco

I recommend no one takes anything from the first link. it seems to be the same picture and it just has more contrast/saturation edited into it. This fools the eye to see things that actually aren't there and changes some of the colors radically.

On other note yes, Onua still has gold torso, only things changed are Kopaka's blade color and Gali either suffered from bad lighting or the shells priamry color is now dark-azure, which is much appreciated. I'm still on the fence if this shot is prelimnary or not. There is no stamp like there was on TahuvsGrinder poster. The catalog leak also had a stamp a top of Nexoknights preliminary poster.

This could actually be the sets final design, meaning the Mata Nui on the poster is final.

Edited by GK733

I can't see how Onua's torso could be gold there. Shadows can pull off some devilish tricks, but compare it to his upper arms, and you'll see

they also have the power to destroy it's much much closer to the black shells than the gold add-ons. And his torso printing is much lighter than the torso piece itself- compare it to catalog Onua, whose gold torso was much lighter than the purple printing on it.

Saturation, true, can change how some colours are perceived, but doesn't change the... fact one colour is lighter or darker than the other (I'm sure there's a term for what I'm talking about, but I don't know it).

Oh man I am ready for these sets. Granted they look pretty sweet as-is, but I can't wait to tweak them to my liking.

Yeah, me too. I'm thinking of giving Gali the orange SW armor add-on, but I wonder if it would look better if it was still asymmetrical.

Observations from the unsaturated poster:

• Tahu: the 3M shells connecting his shoulder armor look trans red. They're probably going to be orange, but I'm hoping for trans red so much right now.
    - He also has 5M trans orange bones, which would be the first time the US gets them. Nice.
    - The axle on the back of his left sword implies they can connect. Or something.
  • Kopaka: his sword hilts are silver now? Interesting.
    - His arm armor looks more dark blue than before but I'm not placing bets; it could still end up black.
    - His vorox armor looks silver but I'm not sure there either.
  • Gali: are those 4M or 3M shells in dark azure? I'm happy with either.
    - I can't tell what size her trans dark blue shells are either.
  • Pohatu: I'm convinced now that his torso and upper legs are dark tan.
    - Looks much better with the trans neon green being consistent.
  • Lewa: I see no changes here.
  • Onua: torso seems to be black, as previously discussed. That makes me happy.
    - Upper leg armor has indeed changed, for the better since we get trans purple shells.
  • What in Mata Nui's name is Mata Nui doing there...?

My reaction to the sets after seeing that picture: (replacing "this dreary old man" with "these sets" and "a legendary grim reaper" with "better than the 2015 Toa")

21956588349_f4e4aa7cb9_o.gif

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

• - The axle on the back of his left sword implies they can connect. Or something.

More ammo for the idea of a new Rahkshi style swinging function.