VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

But there won't be Nexo Knight Ultrabuilds (at least not in January), the Ultimate sets are minifigs with weapons ala Spinners / Speedorz.

Hence the term "ulrabuild-thingies." I only knew their price, and I couldn't remember their umbrella name. Were pictures of them leaked?

Don't know if it has been said before, but the new add-on reminds me of the Bohrok's shields.

Now that you mention it, I can see that. It also reminds me of this piece.

4520610.jpg

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

Just pointing out that if you look at the top right of the image, there is a beartrap.

But it's a blurred out peripheral image, kind of like the additional Skull Spiders on the box art from last year, or the hands grabbing at the stolen masks. Part of the art, but non included in the set.

Still, even if there's a trap in there, I agree the Kopaka set is disappointing from an exclusivity standpoint. Only way that would've made it worthwile if the price was lower (like 25 Euro or something), but it's the exact price of the separate figures together. They could've tried something like Kopaka being a mid size Toa like the other 3 and Melum being larger than the other Creatures.

I guess they had to limit the number of sets (13 to 12? Why? Dunno), or maybe there's some profit based strategy they want to try out.

Honestly, I think the whole reason they did that is to promote the uniter gimmick. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint and I'm pretty sure that's the only reason it was done this way, heck maybe Kopaka gets a more prominent role in 2016 the way different heroes were more prominent in Hero Factory from year to year. 2015 is the Tahu show, 2016 is the Kopaka show, maybe 2017 is the Onua show. Honestly it isn't much different from what I expected except that Melum is a disappointing clone of Terak instead of a cool wolf or something. I'm not sure what people were expecting of a set called Kopaka and Melum aside from, well Kopaka and Melum, especially since the it's the price of a Toa and a creature combined so it's not like they are charging us more or something. Well, compared to the larger Toa anyway, because Kopaka is still a larger Toa.

Edited by ToaDraco

Honestly, I think the whole reason they did that is to promote the uniter gimmick. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint and I'm pretty sure that's the only reason it was done this way, heck maybe Kopaka gets a more prominent role in 2016 the way different heroes were more prominent in Hero Factory from year to year. 2015 is the Tahu show, 2016 is the Kopaka show, maybe 2017 is the Onua show. Honestly it isn't much different from what I expected except that Melum is a disappointing clone of Terak instead of a cool wolf or something. I'm not sure what people were expecting of a set called Kopaka and Melum aside from, well Kopaka and Melum, especially since the it's the price of a Toa and a creature combined so it's not like they are charging us more or something. Well, compared to the larger Toa anyway, because Kopaka is still a larger Toa.

Exactly what I was thinking!

I noticed this year that people aimed to get the Toa only, but after that aimed to get all of the Protectors to complement their respective Toa. By introducing a set with both types in one, people may feel more inclined to get all of the sets to complement the Toa this time around.

This is probably the case, but I would agree that I wish they had done more with the pricepoint. Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder had played around with the prices a bit with Ekimu being slightly larger, bulkier, and more complex than the $10 Protectors, and Kulta being around the same height as the $20 Toa but more skeletal and less bulky. I had kind of hoped for Kopaka and Melum to do something similar. As it is, I think Melum is supposed to be some sort of bear—but a bit of added bulk could have potentially made him feel more like one, instead of just seeming like a clone of Terak. And the new Kopaka almost seems to have a little too much going on for his own good, whereas with a slightly smaller, simpler build he might have potentially looked much cooler and less cluttered.

Edited by Lyichir

Exactly what I was thinking! I noticed this year that people aimed to get the Toa only, but after that aimed to get all of the Protectors to complement their respective Toa. By introducing a set with both types in one, people may feel more inclined to get all of the sets to complement the Toa this time around.

Yup, that's what I was thinking. They were put together to promote the Uniter gimmick. I can't really figure out if there is a trap in their set, but I assume there would be one for Melum. It's still a shame that Melum is pretty much a recolored Terak and does not seem to be unique, which I doubt can be chalked up to prelims.

I think Kopaka looks a lot better on the box than he does in the promo image. I like that he has backwards Vorox armor on his shoulders and I like that his mask uses a stud for the scope. Comparing Terak and Melum, they appear to be identical save for Melum only having 2 claws on each paw instead of 4 like Terak so Melum even has fewer pieces than Terak. Unless I'm missing something, he is just a white Terak who lost 2 claws on each paw. Also, anyone else notice that it appears we are getting new gear pieces with axles sticking out of them on all of the creatures? That appears to be how the functions work. Also, I'm very glad they managed to put functions into the creatures despite their small size.

Can someone please give me some sort of pointer to those pictures you're talking about? Because I'm utterly clueless where to find them. :sad:

Can someone please give me some sort of pointer to those pictures you're talking about? Because I'm utterly clueless where to find them. :sad:

Search TTV, I did on Google and it's the second link something like "TTV Message Boards:Categories". Follow that link then find on the search bar "All Categories" which should have a dropdown box with one of the options being "Lego" . Click it. BIONICLE appears at the top of the list of Lego related topics there.. There's a topic called "Bionicle 2016 Leaks Discussion Topic" right by the BIONICLE name and logo. The stuffs all there.

It's a really bloated thread but I think the first post gets updated with the pics and the info that's found :)

Edit: In fact, I'm allowed to link to TTV right but not the actual leaks, correct? So...here's the link http://board.ttvpodcast.com/c/lego to the category page. So saves you having to do all that stuff at the start.

Also: Sorry to the moderators if I'm not meant to be giving such exact instructions and stuff on where to get leaks. I'm not sure how strict the Lego and leaks things are this year so if this is against what they're told you is allowed...oops and sorry.

Edited by Mutant Orc

Can anybody see from the pics whether Ketar possibly has a tail function? Also, maybe the creature heads have printing on them or stickers that are not seen in prelim pics?

Can anybody see from the pics whether Ketar possibly has a tail function? Also, maybe the creature heads have printing on them or stickers that are not seen in prelim pics?

It wouldn't be the first time printing/stickers was absent from preliminary pictures.

Thanks for the help. Ironically, I already found that page while I was searching for info on the Nexo Knight business.

I will hold back my actual judgement until I get proper pics, but from these leaks, I want to say the following:

- I like the little ones. They look neato

- The silver part on the masks looks like hair, which looks weird to me

- New swords, yay!

- Wings are among the best things ever, so giving everyone wings is the best thing ever

- Kopaka's mask has me wonder about the lens...

So far, I like what I see, but I still have to pick up the 2015 guys.

(also I'm really curious about Nexo Knights now, just saying)

I wonder what will happen to Umarak's torso mouth thing in his Destroyer form. Hopefully, they won't just get rid of it, but actually make it a physical part of the build. If they're going to use technic, they should at least make full use of it. Also, I predict Toa-sized horns made using the large spider legs in black.

So, my take on all sets now that I have some more time:

Creatures

Akida: can't see much, looks pretty good. 6.

Ketar: not bad, but I don't care for brown much. 6.

Uxar: one of my favs, good colours and good design. 8.

Terak: Nice, but will be mostly a parts pack for me. 7.

Ikir: another favourite of mine, I just love birds and I've been wanting a CCBS bird for years. 8.

Melum: well it's a Terak palette swap. Not much else to say. 6.

Recolours tally: blue Mistika wings/fins, tr. bright green 4M free ball joint bones (I'm sure there's a better way to call them, but eh), *deep breath* tr. purple 4M free ball joint bones, small Chima claws and glorious 4M shells, tr. reddish orange 4M free ball joint bones.

Toa:

Gali: I like the idea of blue/orange. Looks pretty good, but lacks the solemn look of 2015 Gali. The mask is pretty good, but even more distant from the 01 Kaukau than the 2015 Mask of Water was. I do like the use of tr. dark blue, but I can't tell if she has azure at all. 7.

Pohatu: ok, who thought it was a good idea to use TWO browns in the same set? Dark tan would've looked a lot better, and works with bright orange really well. Colour distribution is also all over the place. I like the mask, maybe more so than the 2015 version. But there are too manyproblems for me to care about him. Most likely a pass. 6.

Lewa: Good overall, but I don't care for the custom lower legs everyone seems to love. They look awkward, short and really not needed.The return of lime is good, weapons are meh like on most Toa, mask is pretty good. 8.

Onua: One of the best ones. Lots of tr. purple, cool torso, good mask, imposing build and AWESOME weapon, the best one of 6 (though it isn't saying much...). 9.

Tahu: Pretty weak. The Technic weaapon contraption doesn't appeal to me and overall he feels much less powerful than 2015 Tahu did. Mask is pretty good, clearly a Nuva reference. Too much gold, and not distributed well. 6.

Kopaka: Another good one. I'm still unsure about the torso on these, but he's one of the best looking ones overall. The gold however, unlike on 2015 Kopaka, feels very random. Finally a Akaku with a stud connection- customizeable lens colours for the win! 8.

Recolours tally: tr. dark blue 4M shells, orange Skrall shell, dark azure 3M shell (?), tr. bright green Bohrok eye, silver Skrall shell, *another deep breath" tr. purple 5M free ball joint bones and studs plus the stuff that's already on Terak, gold Skull Army armour add-on, tr light blue 6M free ball joint bones (?).

Umarak: awesome, just awesome. The upper body is nearly perfect. I still don't like the lower legs. But the overall look, wow. By far on the most threatening constraction figures to date. 9.

Recolours tally: dark red fins/curved spikes, dark tan viking horns, Chima small spider legs/horns and Chima large spider legs/horns.

Pass: Akida, Ketar, Pohatu

Maybe: Gali, Lewa, Tahu

Definite buys: Uxar, Terak, Ikir, Kopaka+Melum (on discount), Onua, Umarak.

Edited by Shakar

I don't quite get why everyone seems to think that Melum being a Terak clone automatically makes Melum worse. Sure, Terak has two more claws on each paw, but aside from that, isn't the definition of clones that they're the same? Yet everyone's acting like Terak "came first" or something, and Melum must therefore be the "inferior" one.

I don't quite get why everyone seems to think that Melum being a Terak clone automatically makes Melum worse. Sure, Terak has two more claws on each paw, but aside from that, isn't the definition of clones that they're the same? Yet everyone's acting like Terak "came first" or something, and Melum must therefore be the "inferior" one.

The problem with Melum and Terrak is they're too similar from design, proposition, and possibility. What make it more annoying is, they difference are only the color scheme and the claw count.

Who knows, there could be more differences between Terak and Melum than we know of. Regardless, I'm definitely getting all the Creatures. I love small sets and all the Creatures are so unique! Here's hoping for more variety with the Beasts.

Well, a creature with large front claws makes more sense for Earth than for Ice, which could be part of it. Sure, they're arguably no better or worse than the other, but when one makes more sense than the other, the one that doesn't is going to be the one people wish was different.

Well, a creature with large front claws makes more sense for Earth than for Ice, which could be part of it. Sure, they're arguably no better or worse than the other, but when one makes more sense than the other, the one that doesn't is going to be the one people wish was different.

Okay, well, that's not what I'm seeing. I'm seeing "I don't like Melum because he's a Terak clone." And... um, Terak is a Melum clone. Neither one is the "original" is my point. Not that they necessarily make sense, or have a good design, or anything. You're entitled to dislike them, I just don't understand the hate towards Melum without actually providing any design-based reasons for it. You're the first person I've seen give a reason.

My point is that people consider Terak the "original" because the design makes more sense for him. Terak is a mole, an earth-y creature. Melum is a.... white mole, I guess. Could Melum have been designed first? Maybe! We'll never know! But because the design feels more like an earth creature than an ice creature, people think of Terak as the original, and Melum as the recolor, and thus complain that Melum is just a clone.

Also, there's a strange theory over at the TTV forums. Namely, that the Beasts can combine with Umarak the Destroyer. Which would be a really nice opportunity to make a truly menacing Kardas-size villain. The fact that he'd probably look like a black mass with currents of elemental energy running around and through him would just be a pleasant accident.

Okay, well, that's not what I'm seeing. I'm seeing "I don't like Melum because he's a Terak clone." And... um, Terak is a Melum clone. Neither one is the "original" is my point. Not that they necessarily make sense, or have a good design, or anything. You're entitled to dislike them, I just don't understand the hate towards Melum without actually providing any design-based reasons for it. You're the first person I've seen give a reason.

I believe it's twofold really.

The design of Terak is pretty much what you'd expect of an Earth-creature. Big paws, big claws. It kinda looks like a mix between a mole and a terrestrial bat ( the head gives that impression at least ). He seems suited for the environment he's in. Melum on the other hand, isn't. Melum looks exactly like Terak, but none of his design choices remotely resemble that of an ice-living creature. Some said a bear, but I don't see it. I believe that's one of the main reasons why they call Melum the clone.

Second, I think it's also because Melum is in a comboset with Kopaka. In a way, it's reasonable to assume that this allows for a slightly bigger budget than the regular Creature. I guess that most people ( including myself) hence expected much more from Melum than what he currently is, aka an almost exact clone of Terak ( or vice versa ). I think most people expected something more from Melum, so he would have been something that would justify him being in a combo-set. At this point, there's nothing special about the Kopaka/Melum set, which is kinda a disappointed in my eyes.

-Iben

Edited by Iben