VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

i forget but is there a Scottish pagan God called the Wild Hunt who is a deer headed humanoid who wields a bow? because if so with those antlers and the woodland color scheme of dark greens browns and black makes me think Umarak was inspired by that mythological figure.

if that is the case does it mean the G2 story team is doing the exact opposite of g1 and rather than milking one mythology for inspiration (till they got sued for trying to copyright a forien culture) they are broadening their inspiration to any mythology and fiction out there thus making for a more interesting and intricate world/mythos?

also i adore how the trapjaw critters have unique legs:D the earth trapjaw has little unicorn horns for drill legs the jungle trapjaw has viny tentacles stone trapjaw has hero factory minifig arms for its legs etc. for little clone sets they have a surprising amount of character for each flavor:D way better than the skull spiders in my opinion.

i love how ominous and alien the mask of Control looks like. with the mask of Creation the pillars and appendages it looked like a cross between a crown and a palace, emminating authority and respectibility. the sharp near throny curves of the MoCo make it look like somethign of malevolence like a demon's face or a hostile alien spaceship:D

Disappointed in single-piece torso armours too. I like the nuva symbol, but I liked how the HF torsos and the superhero plates looked a lot better, and having those designs on the superhero chests would have been fab.

ooh did the g2 team miss out on a new collectible that homages Bionicle's descendant hero factory: Nuva icons that functioned like hero cores. the blockiness of the symbols fit well with the aztek type motifs Otoko employs and could have been symbols that represent the elements and they could always add more for other elements. and they could be used to denote what faction/element your MoC is part of. if i make sense.

overall i am looking forward to 2016 :D

i forget but is there a Scottish pagan God called the Wild Hunt who is a deer headed humanoid who wields a bow? because if so with those antlers and the woodland color scheme of dark greens browns and black makes me think Umarak was inspired by that mythological figure.

Can't seem to find anything with Google on a Pagan god of the hunt that had a deer's head as his own head, but maybe you're thinking of Hircine from The Elder Scrolls?

Can't seem to find anything with Google on a Pagan god of the hunt that had a deer's head as his own head, but maybe you're thinking of Hircine from The Elder Scrolls?

It's as much Umarak as Witcher 3's Leshen. The general idea of the "deerman" seems to be all over northern and Slavic mythos.

I might write something longer if I find the time but for now I'll sum it up: I'm mixed.

I like the creatures a lot more than I thought I would. While the heads are quite same-y, the designs make up for it. My favourite is either Ikir or Uxar.

The Toa are a mixed bag. I'm worried at the sudden increase of Technic- feels like "complexity for the sake of complexity", as Aanchir put it. I don't see the need for things like Lewa's lower legs to be like they are, it's not they add much in the way of building experience or aesthetics anyway. I'm also worried about the torso construction. And in general, about where CCBS is heading. Technic with a purpose (functions, larger body parts for figures like Darth Vader) is good, Technic shoehorned in to give the illusion of complexity is just bad.

The torsos have great prints, but them being one piece is a huge blow to MOCing.

The masks look good, but I'm not fond of the feathery designs on top.

I'm ok with the weapons, we already have tons of old molds to choose from anyway.

All colour schemes are good, except Pohatu's. Two browns together look like the work of someone who ran out of pieces, and the random green lower arms pretty much give the same effect.

Umarak is fantastic, save from his lower legs. Again, complexity for the sake of complexity that ends up looking ugly.

The new pieces are pretty good, some decent recolours too, and the Mask of Control looks awesome.

I hate editing, but the keyboard keeps pulling pranks on me.

Edited by Shakar

Remind me to avoid the general reaction to new set reveals, in future. Ah, Greg, how right you were. =P

I'm surprised Tahu isn't getting more love. He's leaps and bounds ahead of his 2015 incarnation, by the look of him.

The masks look good, but I'm not fond of the feathery designs on top.

Same with me. I think the designs of the new Toa's masks looks too feathery and very Chima-ish. For a theme like Bionicle, that's not a good thing.

The creatures are ok, and they did have some good pieces, but I don't like that all the creatures has similar head design.

I think I might skip the winter wave of next year and wait for something better in the summer wave.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

Loving the creatures. I know where I'd be spending most of my money. :laugh:

The Toa are pretty nice too. I'd love to see them more up close, but as they are they're pretty sweet. I don't know if I prefer them to the wave 1 Toa that I've come to love so dearly (although I already prefer Kopaka), but they look like good figures in their own right. At the very least I'd want the Kopaka set, he looks awesome!

Umarak looks like a nice, intimidating villain. Admittedly, the lower leg looks a bit strange from the side, but I don't think that's too big a deal when the rest of him looks so nice. I think the lower legs look better from the front than the side.

We built very different G1 sets, you and I.

Are you telling me you didn't love works of beauty like Brutaka's and Takanuva's upper legs? I bet you like MegaBlowks too, kid *obvious sarcasm*

edit: whoops, forgot I had this quote here. Can't spot what you're talking about, sorry.

Look here. The yellow arrows point to Glatorian necks ( granted, in Kopaka you can see it better on the other arm, but this shows the connection point for the Skrall armour as well, green arrow ). My guess is that Ketar and Pohatu have them in a new colour, either Dark Orange or Reddish Brown (Avak). I hope this makes it easier. ;)

-Iben

Are you telling me you didn't love works of beauty like Brutaka's and Takanuva's upper legs? I bet you like MegaBlowks too, kid *obvious sarcasm*

I was confused there for a moment until I realized you meant Titan Takanuva, not the original Takanuva :blush:

Look here. The yellow arrows point to Glatorian necks ( granted, in Kopaka you can see it better on the other arm, but this shows the connection point for the Skrall armour as well, green arrow ). My guess is that Ketar and Pohatu have them in a new colour, either Dark Orange or Reddish Brown (Avak). I hope this makes it easier. ;)

-Iben

Ahh, I see now. Thanks for pointing that out! :classic:

I was confused there for a moment until I realized you meant Titan Takanuva, not the original Takanuva :blush:

Takanuva 2008, of course. Those sets were the pinnacle of the Technic/BIONICLE blending, and I can't really understand any criticism towards this aspect of G1.

Love what you did there by ignoring what I said. Do these pieces attach, in some way, to CCBS limbs? If so, then you're agreeing with what I stated. But what's your point? You've gone on about how this piece is so useless because it can't even attach to ball joints. Except that it can, because if you look closely you'll notice a ball socket.tucked away behind some axle holes. I'm in full support of this piece's existence: unlike your average CCBS shell it's not going to be virtually impossible to use in a System or Technic MOC, and it's perfect for usage on vehicles. It combines the best of all thee worlds: axle holes, pin holes and a ball socket. If you want to keep hating it: you've already got an abundance of perfectly good CCBS shells that are still in production, no one is forcing you to use it or buy Kopaka, Tahu and the Creatures.

Except it doesn't attach to the ball socket. It attaches via technic if you actually look at the image I provided. If it could attach to ball joints - which it can't, otherwise it would have only ONE technic hole on the front, and that is my point - then THERE IS NO REASON FOR THE TECHNIC. It can only attach to CCBS limbs with TECHNIC HOLES for TECHNIC PINS, and ONLY THE LARGER VARIATIONS have them. Because it's clear you didn't even look at the image which freaking proves it's attached via technic, and not a ball joint. Please actually look at the image I am now going to provide yet again, thank you.

We built very different G1 sets, you and I.

G1 MoCs =/= G1 sets.

Edited by Ikaatril

Oh my god. The complaining has come full circle.

We now have people complaining about armor that attaches exactly like armor in G1.

Oh my god. The complaining has come full circle.

We now have people complaining about armor that attaches exactly like armor in G1.

And yet it has more connection points than any G1 armor of same size.

It's like how we complained the skeletonbones having no other connection than balljoint and socket... and now people complain about something like this.

Edited by GK733

Except it doesn't attach to the ball socket. It attaches via technic if you actually look at the image I provided. If it could attach to ball joints - which it can't, otherwise it would have only ONE technic hole on the front, and that is my point - then THERE IS NO REASON FOR THE TECHNIC. It can only attach to CCBS limbs with TECHNIC HOLES for TECHNIC PINS, and ONLY THE LARGER VARIATIONS have them.

Calm down. This piece was not designed within the normal constraints of shells, it was designed for usage with the Creatures as well. All of the creatures appear to have a function of some kind, and I would imagine the set designers had difficulty creating functions within the size constraints of a $10 set and normal CCBS pieces, hence why it has so many methods of attachment.

Because it's clear you didn't even look at the image which freaking proves it's attached via technic, and not a ball joint. Please actually look at the image I am now going to provide yet again, thank you.

I did actually look at it, and I disagree with you. There's a sliver of white between Kopaka's leg and his armor. There are definitely some perspective issues with my idea, but it's not out of the question competely. But suppose I am actually wrong, I'm going to ask you again: What's the big deal? You've already got CCBS shells in a variety of different shapes, sizes and colors. LEGO doesn't need to keep making more shells exactly the way they set out to once, they've already done that. CCBS won't die overnight simply because LEGO introduced a new piece, and if LEGO really is using this as a transitional year into a more Technic-focused building system LEGO has their reasons for doing so.

Frankly, I've been trying to find ways of a Technic-style building system being re-introduced with the versatility of CCBS shells as armor and I'm amazed at how simple the solution is.

G1 MoCs =/= G1 sets.

...what?

Except it doesn't attach to the ball socket. It attaches via technic if you actually look at the image I provided. If it could attach to ball joints - which it can't, otherwise it would have only ONE technic hole on the front, and that is my point - then THERE IS NO REASON FOR THE TECHNIC. It can only attach to CCBS limbs with TECHNIC HOLES for TECHNIC PINS, and ONLY THE LARGER VARIATIONS have them. Because it's clear you didn't even look at the image which freaking proves it's attached via technic, and not a ball joint. Please actually look at the image I am now going to provide yet again, thank you.

G1 MoCs =/= G1 sets.

Hey man, people have different opinions, you won't convince others to believe something else. Just leave it alone, enjoy the sets...or...if you're really against these sets...enjoy your G1 sets....or first wave G2 sets.

I for one am interested in Lewa/Onua/Pohatu/Kopaka and their respective creatures...but I want to wait and see the combo models before I choose one of them. Umarak is a must buy for me, I love him.

You know....I'm really interested to see Onua's combo with Terak....I wonder how those paws will fit on top of the basher shoulders on Onua. Lewa is likely to look like a huge insect in his combo, Kopaka's combo looks kinda cool...I'm still not sure about it...Pohatu and Ketar's combo might be super cool...especially if it gives Pohatu bulk as well as a SCORPION TAIL

I'm sorry, I didn't realise my opinions must align exactly with yours.

Your opinion was basically "I don't like the sets, therefore they must have sold badly, and these ones will too. that's not pessimism, what's ego.

Pessimism is also a superior option to optimism anyway.

legitimately not sure if you're trolling, or just lead a really sad life

Furthermore, the SW sets will be more profitable than BIONICLE. Look, SW constraction sets sold out in their first few weeks. Did that happen to bionicle this year? No, it didn't. It's a very clear indicator of what's popular and what's an increasingly half-hearted revival of its original self.

The star Wars sets are a licensed theme. That alone will draw people in, but it also costs lego money on the license. It's not remotely valid to compare them, because any number of sales will result from "my grandson likes star wars... oh! look, lego's done darth vader, I'll get him that."

...Am I the only one who likes Umarak's legs? While they seem a little bit unfinished, I feel like the look works for him (especially with the effect it has on his posture), and having built a mock-up in real life I was impressed by the range of motion they allow for (which exceeds most older Bionicle titan legs that had their articulation limited by pistons) as well as by their stability.

legitimately not sure if you're trolling, or just lead a really sad life

That is an objective statement about something you yourself have no right to say anything about. It's also unnecessary. Let them have their opinion regardless of whether it makes sense or not, it hasn't infringed upon your right to have your own opinion.

Edited by lambda_cla3391

...Am I the only one who likes Umarak's legs? While they seem a little bit unfinished, I feel like the look works for him (especially with the effect it has on his posture), and having built a mock-up in real life I was impressed by the range of motion they allow for (which exceeds most older Bionicle titan legs that had their articulation limited by pistons) as well as by their stability.

I also quite like the design of Umarak's leg. The legs looks unfinished, but I think it's works for Umarak's design.