VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

I've only just now noticed Umarak's butt-gear. I think everyone here has been mentioning it for a few pages, but what could it be for? It doesn't look like it can move the legs from what I can see, but who knows, maybe that new torso piece allows that.

Also, Melum and Terak use the same build? They certainly look identical save for the colors.

It's Mutran and Vican all over again!

Edited by Timeline15

Guys, I'm not sure if people noticed it, but if you look at the squares on the chest armour... You'll quickly notice that they have the Nuva symbols on their chests ._.

-Iben

What's up with those new armor pieces on Kopaka's lower legs. I thought those sorts of parts were ruled out with the CCBS. I'm not complaining, I really like it, but I'm a little confused.

Guys, I'm not sure if people noticed it, but if you look at the squares on the chest armour... You'll quickly notice that they have the Nuva symbols on their chests ._.

I'm not an old enough fan to recognise the Nuva symbols, but a quick google image search showed that you are completely right! They actually all have a little silver cube in the centre of their armour printing with their bloody nuva symbol! Could this be how Ekimu upgrades them? Shoving the Nuva cubes in their chests?

Huh? Am I the only one who feels they are moving a bit away from CCBS towards technic again?

CCBS still seems very much the core of these sets, even with the new torso. Technic, however, is playing a more prominent role than in recent years, and I could not be happier!

Edited by Timeline15

Oh dear, that new blade is being used in takanuva staff level amounts

And I really don't like those masks.

With that said those lower leg plates on Kopaka are quite intriguing and I'm curious just how much they are used in these figures

What's up with those new armor pieces on Kopaka's lower legs. I thought those sorts of parts were ruled out with the CCBS. I'm not complaining, I really like it, but I'm a little confused.

I was confused too, but it seems the primary use of that piece is on the torsos of some of the creatures. Which makes a little bit more sense — it attaches more tightly to the torso than the Protectors' armor did and adds some connection points on the sides which I'm sure can be useful.

To those who are saying there are a lot more parts next year than this year... don't get your hopes up about that. So far I can count 15 new parts: eight masks, a new torso beam, a new torso shell, a new co-injected shell detail, a new co-injected blade, the creature faceplates, the "bear trap", and the new Technic shell used on Kopaka's legs and the creatures' torsos. I'm sure there might be other parts which are hiding, but in the meantime, remember that the first wave of Bionicle sets this year had NINETEEN new parts, not counting basic Technic.

Tahu, Onua, and Kopaka all have functions in their weapons, which might be to make up for a lack of functions in their torsos. But I could be wrong about that.

I generally like the new masks. Tahu's seems a bit small but that might be the angle of the pic playing tricks on me.

Wonder when we'll get clear, official, non-preliminary pics. Probably not for a few weeks at the very least.

Edited by Aanchir

I really like how Onua looks, the mask is cool and his hammer looks very cool and more complex. He looks a little gappy compared to say, Kopaka who, if you look at his armpit, seems to have a lot going on under the torso shell. Hopefully Onua looks bulkier from other angles. Tahu's swords appear to have an interesting jabbing function and I like that he uses golden skull armor on his shoulders, it complements the elemental flame piece nicely. The MoCo looks epic, if not a bit elephant-like. There is a groove around where the mouth should be so If you look at it like the 'trunk' is a beard thing similar to Vakama, it doesn't seem as odd.

Kopaka also has a Technic construction for his torso and upper arms? Which again, confuses me. I can't tell if there's any kind of integrated function or if it's again just complexity for complexity's sake. It seems like it makes his upper arms a bit spindly and his shoulders a bit cluttered-looking. And since the combination feature seems to just be the creature riding on Kopaka's back and acting as armor, I don't see that justifying this build.

Actually, if you look closely, Kopaka isn't the only one to use that weird construction for the upper arm attachment. Pohatu has it ( with Glatorian neck pieces in a brand new colour ?? ), Onua has it, and I guess the others have it too as it seems it's meant to make the Skrall armour fit on the shoulders !

-Iben

I was confused too, but it seems the primary use of that piece is on the torsos of some of the creatures. Which makes a little bit more sense — it attaches more tightly to the torso than the Protectors' armor did and adds some connection points on the sides which I'm sure can be useful.

To those who are saying there are a lot more parts next year than this year... don't get your hopes up about that. So far I can count 15 new parts: eight masks, a new torso beam, a new torso shell, a new co-injected shell detail, a new co-injected blade, the creature faceplates, the "bear trap", and the new Technic shell used on Kopaka's legs and the creatures' torsos. I'm sure there might be other parts which are hiding, but in the meantime, remember that the first wave of Bionicle sets this year had NINETEEN new parts, not counting basic Technic.

Tahu, Onua, and Kopaka all have functions in their weapons, which might be to make up for a lack of functions in their torsos. But I could be wrong about that.

I generally like the new masks. Tahu's seems a bit small but that might be the angle of the pic playing tricks on me.

Wonder when we'll get clear, official, non-preliminary pics. Probably not for a few weeks at the very least.

Actually, I think you may be right about that. Not sure whether the other three have gear functions, as I do not see them having any sort of weapon functions.

I really like Umarak despite his gappiness. It appears hwe might be another skull villian that is based on Pan, the mythical being. His mask is very cool.

OHHH MYYY GARSHHHHH!! These looks sooooo awesome. I love the Nuva symbols on the chest pieces and the reformed masks. The mini-builds that are add-ons, remind me of Phantoka (of which I have all) and I'm just in love. Also the Hunter and the Mask look sooo flippin cool! Sorry fangirling...or I guess fan"boying"?

Eegh, that is one ugly mess of technic :sick:. I really hope they don't continue that into the rest of the year. I liked everything else about these sets, but that's just eeegh. At least my favorite, Onua, is still a pretty and sleek CCBS set (with tr. purple studs!), so I guess I'll get him and his creature (for those glorious tr. purple chima claws and 4m bones :drool:). But what's with that weird lighting error making the end of his staff purple? How the heck did that happen?

Edited by DraikNova

So I think I know how this goes now. The torso is built from two parts. What confirms is that at least Terak seems to be using the upper part on his back.

Edited by GK733

Umarak looks fantastic....as to his gear, I think he may have a swivel function...so it allows you to turn his upper torso left and right and shoot things...oh boy he looks really fun! If you look closely, Tahu's swords have gears on them and it looks like when you turn them, one blade will move forward, while the other moves back, circular motions, almost mimicking stabbing actions. Onua's hammer shoots, Kopaka's gun shoots....although I think he may have a gear function considering all the clutter in his torso. Gali's weapon....looks...like it has a spinning function? Lewa's weapons...don't seem to do anything at all....and Pohatu's staff, while amazing, also doesn't look like it does much. I guess you can flail that rock piece around at figures (which is bloody awesome)...but I have to suspect that these three, although they are the most obscure function wise, may have gear functions for their weapons, whereas Tahu and Onua have different weapon functions, but no gear functions, and Kopaka/Umarak may share the bulk between gears and stud shooters. All in all, it will be interesting to find out what each one of these does. I'm already wanting Umarak, Pohatu...and I'll pick up Ketar just so that I have Pohatu's companion.

So I think I know how this goes now. The torso is built from two parts. What confirms is that at least Ketar seems to be using the upper part on his back.

Ooooh so maybe the creatures are gearboxes and they combine with the Toa, thus forming a complete gear box figure with added function? That is a very, very, very interesting idea.

Edited by lambda_cla3391

Whoa. Lewa's lower leg construction is really wacky. I'm kind of in love with it but I'm wondering what the general consensus on it will be.

Also, what's up with that torso? They seem to have removed the balljoint there for a rather pointless bit of detailing, thereby making the torso significantly less useful for MOCcing.

EDIT: Wait, does that have a gear behind it? Okay, I'll consider that a reasonable sacrifice, although I really hope they leave the upper part of the torso smooth and properly CCBS.

Edited by DraikNova

Also, what's up with that torso? They seem to have removed the balljoint there for a rather pointless bit of detailing, thereby making the torso significantly less useful for MOCcing.

If you look, a lot of the models seem to have a gear on their... rear. I'm thinking that the new torso might be designed to facilitate a function that plugs in from there, which would accommodate for irregularities in its design.

If you look, a lot of the models seem to have a gear on their... rear. I'm thinking that the new torso might be designed to facilitate a function that plugs in from there, which would accommodate for irregularities in its design.

Hmm... if the creatures ALL end up going on the back of the various toa, that would explain why they had to move the gear.

No matter what, though, Umarak is cool. Even with the weird moss hair. Also, it amuses me how birdlike the new mask is. Technically, that means we've gotten what everyone wanted out of the Bota Magna arc: an entire wave with biomechanical dinosaurs.

I'm in two minds regarding Bionicle G2 now. On one hand, excessive technic and no innovative CCBS builds (but SW seems set to provide that, which kind of mollifies me). On the other, lots of recolors, with Pohatu featuring the third or fourth brown color in CCBS.

Don't you find hilarious that after months of speculation G2 Nuva shoulders ended up being good old Vorox armour? Adorable.

Speaking of hilarious things, we have mindless beasts given names on boxes, while sentient beings (the Protectors) had generic names.

How do you know they're mindless? I've got a bad feeling the toa will be suffering from Idiot Protagonist syndrome next year, being forced to follow the "animal intuition" (read: basic cognitive functions, accompanied by sarcastic looks) of their creatures. Although this is straying into story territory.

EDIT: I've got to say, I much preferred the original design for the Mask of Control. Although it seems strange that they released it in the winter already. Maybe the animation form will be released in the summer, and it'll be revealed that the combination of corruption due the the MoUP and Ekimu's hammer blow broke the mask, requiring the power of the creatures to reforge it? Then the Mask of Control's powers could only come into play later in the story, adding a valid reason for the Beasts being a summer release.

EDIT2: Also, whatever the thing in Pohatu's box art is, it looks terrifying, like a mountain fused with a squid by way of H.R. Giger. If that's the Quake Beast, I'm impressed with LEGO for coming up with such an innovative design. If it's just a random mountain, like it probably is, oh well, it looked cool.

EDIT3: Nevermind, it's just a bear trap with it's mouth opened really, really far.

Edited by DraikNova