VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

CM4Sci provided a picture. It ended up with asymmetrical wings due to him being sick and not noticing the disparity though. But I can imagine the creatures having a system to attach themselves to the area under the gearbox, possibly with a little gear set to interlock with the Toa's gear to allow use of the functions while attached.

Wait, where can I find that picture?

These sets are great as parts packs... But as upgraded Toa figures? I need to see them finalized first.

Is it me, or do Onua, Tahu and Kopaka look more like titans than they did this year?

In Onua's case, he looks less like one to me—he has the same size of chest plate and torso shell as the other Toa. Tahu doesn't strike me as that much bigger or more complex, and I haven't seen Kopaka clearly yet so I can't make a judgment one way or another.

Kopaka's lover legs look more technic-y that's really it. I have to wonder why it looks like that Onua ang Gali have blue eyes though?

...and there's a new pic on 4chan about Kopaka's leg. It's a new mold we haven't yet seen on the leaks, looks really G1-ish. I absolutely love it with all of it's connection points and how it covers the bone better than a normal shell.

Screw that, there is now a whole pic of Kopaka in much better quality! Rest should come very soon!

I'll take my words back Kopaka rocks!

Edited by GK733

4chan just posted a very clear picture of Kopaka and Melum unity. It's not even blurry although it has a confidential stamp on it. My god he looks awesome. You can also spot more Umarak details as well. It has Skull spider legs in trans dark green as toes and a very good look at Umarak's golden mask. Not the mask of Control I think.

And Melum seems to be some sort of humanoid?

Kopaka and others are on 4chan

For some reason they don't like it when so direct everyone there, it's funny.

That new armour shell on Kopaka's lower legs looks as though it attaches using a technic piece at the back, and might not even use the balljoint at all. Wow. they're really going retro with this o_0.

Kopaka also has Vorox amour in white I believe. very nice.

The new torso armour looks like something out of Michael Bay transformers and, while it's a bit busy, I still really like it.

Kopaka wearing melum's head as a hat is odd, but it somehow works.

Also, all the creatures share the same head, like the protectors this year. Not too bothered about this, but it does look a wee bit out of place on some of them.

So the Kopaka/ Melum combiner has custom upper arms? Neat, if a bit odd looking.

Also, that has GOT to be the mask of control. I know it's not identical, but why would the produce a mask that looks SO similar, and have it be something else?

Edited by Timeline15

High res pics of the Creatures AND Toa are on 4chan. They look really cool even though the masks have weirdly blended colors imo but they probably look better in person. The creatures look very cool as well, Akida is still pretty hidden but it's a fish/shark thing.

Also, i'm pretty sure those bear trap things are robots.

That new armour shell on Kopaka's lower legs looks as though it attaches using a technic piece at the back, and might not even use the balljoint at all. Wow. they're really going retro with this o_0.

Kopaka also has Vorox amour in white I believe. very nice.

The new torso armour looks like something out of Michael Bay transformers and, while it's a bit busy, I still really like it.

Kopaka wearing melum's head as a hat is odd, but it somehow works.

Also, all the creatures share the same head, like the protectors this year. Not too bothered about this, but it does look a wee bit out of place on some of them.

Also, that has GOT to be the mask of control. I know it's not identical, but why would the produce a mask that looks SO similar, and have it be something else?

Yeah, I'm... not too impressed with this new armor piece. I was hoping they would stick to CCBS and not make armor pieces that attach via Technic. Can't say that I am impressed with the chest armor either, it looks pretty cluttered, moreso than the Breakout and Brain Attack shells.

I'm super excited for the Mask of Control at least.

I think this line is actually better than 2015....wow I'm stunned. Umarak is a must buy for me...as well as Pohatu and Ketar. Love Onua, love all of them honestly :'(

Umarak is on 4chan in high res as well. So that golden mask in Umarak's set is actually the Mask Of Control. Didn't expect to get it this early but it looks awesome if a bit different than the animation one.

The pics are on reddit as well in case I'm not the only person who can't figure out how the heck 4chan works.

Thoughts on the others:

Pohatu and his beast seem to use their "dark orange" AND another, darker brown. Not sure how I feel about that. they look weird together. especially with the trans lime green as well.

Pohatu's new mask is shaped like the mask if elemental energy.

The "feathery piece" supposedly behind their masks was actually just the top of their masks fading to silver or gold.

Lewa looks beautiful all round, and his creature is pretty cool, and uses an ancient system piece for the wings.

Gali's partner is some sort of fish. Fitting.

I love the little trap spiders. They have tails made out of Hewkii inika's chains!

Overall, super stoked for next year now, these looks super fun.

EDIT: and before I'm even done typing, more leaks

Umarak is still the weakest for me. His mask looks like it doesn't fit his head. I like that he uses the trap spider piece for shoulderpads though. Looks like the stuff on his body is dark red, but his antlers are brown? Colour scheme? What colour scheme? I am warming to his legs a bit though....

Onua definitely has a custom torso. I little bit gappy, but cool none the less. LOVE his new mask, and this is from someone who was really lukewarm about his last one. His legs aren't properly attached to his torso balls. I smell CGI trickery...

Tahu looks very angry. This is good. I like his new look, but the gold is a bit too everywhere, and I'm not sure why he has blue printing. He uses the new G1 esque shell in gold on his upper legs. Reminds me of takadox's armour.

Edited by Timeline15

I just noticed Onua has a shooter in his hammer. That's pretty cool.

And I absolutely love the Creature head/mask. It just looks so cool.

Also, Umarak uses the the ribcage used in the Skull villains. Can't tell if it's the same color as Skull Slicer's or a darker green.

Edited by Bbrink1996

Much more new pieces than in 2015.

Is BIONICLE selling that well? I REALLY hope so!

The mentioning of Netflix could really mean it.

Well, I for one am impressed with that shell design on Kopaka. Not because it's G1-esque... but because, for all intents and purposes, it seems better. It's greebly, but logically so, with a look that will probably work well either as the outer or inner layer of a figure's build. It has plenty of connection points, like some of the most versatile G1 shells (such as Kalmah shells, but without a texture that's totally incompatible with anything else). The same piece seems to be used on Terak's torso, which is nice—expanding the types of armor for the smaller torso beam is a good thing.

It does also look like we're getting a new torso bone—not too sold on the shell covering it, though, unless it's hiding additional connection points. It does look like the sets lack gearboxes, which is a bummer—while some figures like Kopaka seem to be getting added articulation in exchange, it's unclear whether the smaller figures will make the tradeoff worthwhile.

- It looks like we are getting new torso shells and bone. Unfortunately, the torso she'll looks like one piece.

- Lots of trans pieces too it looks like.

- Gali looks like she uses both shades of trans blue, dark blue for her shells, and light blue for some of her bones.

EDIT

-It looks like Tahu uses Kopaka's lower leg armor in gold on his upper legs.

- Looks like possibly dark blue shells on Kopaka's arms?!

Edited by Konahrik

People on reddit just pointed out that Lewa's lower legs are entirely custom. The top is an old had piece connected into the axel od the Vorox armour, and then a glatorian neck is pegged in to the 2 pin holes, with the ball connecting to the foot.

Yeah, the new shell on Kopaka's lower legs perplexes me. I mean, it definitely seems like it could be versatile. Its connection points are much like those of the Barraki shells, which were some of the most useful ones of G1 since like CCBS shells they could be attached to either the front or sides of a beam. So a lot better than things like the Toa Inika or Toa Metru thigh shells. Still, I'll have to see how this shell is used on other sets, because in the context of this set I don't entirely see the point. It just feels like complexity for complexity's sake, and looks a little bit messy compared to the cleaner designs we're used to from this year. Terak and Ikir seem to use it as torso armor, which makes a bit more sense.

Kopaka also has a Technic construction for his torso and upper arms? Which again, confuses me. I can't tell if there's any kind of integrated function or if it's again just complexity for complexity's sake. It seems like it makes his upper arms a bit spindly and his shoulders a bit cluttered-looking. And since the combination feature seems to just be the creature riding on Kopaka's back and acting as armor, I don't see that justifying this build.

Interestingly, although the Kopaka and Melum Unity Set has 172 pieces, it is still in a hexagonal box like the smaller sets. But much larger than the current $20 boxes. And just so nobody gets alarmed, it also looks as though the main pic in this catalog is mirrored, so no, his eyepiece won't be switching sides (but his sword will).

There seems to be a new torso beam. Possibly just for the lower body.

Oh, and the catalog also advertises "Strong Media Support through Netflix and other channels"...

People on reddit just pointed out that Lewa's lower legs are entirely custom. The top is an old had piece connected into the axel od the Vorox armour, and then a glatorian neck is pegged in to the 2 pin holes, with the ball connecting to the foot.

Now THAT's a creative building technique I can get behind! Wonder why I've never seen that technique on a MOC before. It seems simple yet highly effective!

Edited by Aanchir

I'm over so slightly in love with these sets.

THere are points I don't like: Tahu's mask is probably going to be replaced with his 2015 one when I get him, and I'm not a fan of the new torso shell, but the other parts are glorious. I'm honestly spoiled for choice here, but I know Potato will be my first, probably.

I like creatures,but unlike the protectors, I'm not going out of my way to get them from what I've seen for now. I'm more interested in the Toa.

Wow they look amazing! I love all of the new masks and I'm blown away by the new torso shell, new torso with some kind of function and the new leg piece on Kopaka used as a body for the creatures. I like the creatures and I don't mind that they all use the same head as it looks really cool, although I'm a bit disappointed that Melum looks like Terak and that Onua is the same size as the rest of the Toa. I'm not sure I like how Onua's shoulder armor is attached but we'll see how it is in the brick. Lewa's lower legs appear to be unique builds rather than shells on bones which is cool. In fact, there seems to be quite a bit more technic-y stuff in all the sets, I like that. The Toa all look very solid thanks to the new body pieces. All and all I am stunned by how amazing these look. Well done LEGO.

The only thing that I dislike is the grey/silver on top of the Toa's masks but maybe it looks better in person.

Also, Melum and Terak use the same build? They certainly look identical save for the colors.