VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

If you don't mind me asking:

Do any of the sets appear to use parts that originated in the SW ultrabuilds this year? Like the shoulder armour etc. I read that the leg armour isn't there, but am wondering if any of the other pieces make an appearance.

And what colour schemes do each of the sets use? Any sign of Dark Blue anywhere on any of the sets? (I've been wanting Dark Blue CCBS shells since 2012 and all we got was a lousy Skull Spider in that colour :tongue: )

(apologies if these have already been asked and answered, it's my birthday today and I'm in a bit of a rush to be in other places so haven't had time to read everything :grin: )

No, sadly. They basically all use the same color schemes as before, except more flat colors. (Ex: Tahu has more red shells, less orange). Gali still has a couple trans-dark blue shells though. Happy Birthday BTW!!! :pir-laugh:

Do the new toa masks resemble the kanohi nuva?

Not really.

Thanks for all the answers! I have just one more question:

Does the Toa still have exposed balljoints in their torsos?

Yes and no. The new chest piece and changed builds make it so the ball joints are partially exposed.

Just one question - is there Mask of Control on boxes?

Yes.

I love the choice of creatures. Part of me wonders how they'll incorporate Akida into land-based storylines, unless Akida is a lungish or similar creature. Also, I'm starting to wonder if Pohatu, with the claws and (...beware my) stinger tail will resemble those statues everyone seems obsessed with. Also, couldn't the special number indicating the retailer simply have a black box photoshopped over it?

There's repeating lines that say CONFIDENTIAl Not to be Copied or Disclosed. (or some-such) With a circle stamp in the middle.

Wow. I'm loving how the sets sound. I wasn't sure of having the small sets be creatures at first (as that would've prevented getting new masks/mask recolours in my eyes), but the creature choices are for once (aside from the obligatory scorpion) original. A CCBS bird finally! And a wolf too! And the idea of combining the creatures with the Toa sounds way cool, reminds me of Power Rangers for some reason.

Not hyped about the blended weapons, I prefer fully metallic ones as they're far more versatile, but it depends how they look I guess.

Since they're packed together, I'm guessing Kopaka and Melum aren't a large figure (20 Euro)+small figure (10 Euro) Toa/creature couple like Onua/mole* and Tahu/bird* but more akin to two ≈15 Euro sets. Otherwise the point of a combo pack would be kind of defeated.

Umarak sounds, ahem, edgy, but a good type of edge it would seem, and his weapons sound more original than the usual staff or sword big bads usually wield. Plus he has no red for once, thankfully. I built a black and titanium metallic MOC, and he looks super evil (well, his colours do, I'm not going to brag about the MOC's looks), so I'm glad they're trying this colour scheme out.

But wow, this stuff better be real, boy I'm hyped.

So Nekchir, did all Toa keep their 2015 colours aside from Lewa? Does Onua introduce any new tr. purple parts? And do all 6 Toa+Umarak use the gearbox?

* I still don't remember the Creatures' names, nor the Protectors', I guess HF kinda made me lose the ability to memorize wierd names. :laugh:

Pretty much, yes. Onua has trans-purple shells and instead of bones. All the Toa-sized sets have gearboxes.

Oh, btw guys. My messaging system was disabled (for whatever reason) so I can't send out photos anymore. I was planning on showing Mesonak the partial cover of the catalog, but it seems like it isn't going to happen.

Edited by Nekchir

I just hope Pohatu looks super cool...hope they kept the burnt orange shells, trans-lime green pieces...maybe got himself a better build? I'm already disappointed by Lewa becoming completely green. I loved the keetorange on him. I think now he'll look as bland as Gali (IMO), who I like as a figure...but feel that the colour scheme is boring. Onua and Kopaka sound interesting...not sure about Tahu.

Edited by lambda_cla3391

There are like millions of different ways to send images. I can't be the only one who feels fishy about this.

There are like millions of different ways to send images. I can't be the only one who feels fishy about this.

Want me to take a screenshot to show you? But feel free to feel fishy, I could care less lol. Edited by Nekchir

Want me to take a screenshot to show you? But feel free to feel fishy, I could care less lol.

If you want. I want to believe you for your own sake but acting like this would make anyone question your legitimacy.

Do you mind trying to describe what the "special item" that comes with each set looks like?

And maybe what the projectile looks like as well?

Thanks.

Hey Nekchir: considering I can't contact you through PM or any other means, I just wanted to say sorry for casting doubt on you earlier. When I saw the "Aanchir's cousin" thing in your sig, I thought you might be trying to fake some sort of connection to us in some sort of attempt to improve your credibility before sharing these leaks. I didn't realize that it was just a joke about rumors on 4chan.

With that, combined with a reminder that the retailer's catalogs are available in the wild (and the fact that they've beefed up security to prevent leaks this year), I have little reason left to doubt what you have to say. The new sets sound quite promising, and while I'm not going to badger you for pics that could potentially endanger your career, your descriptions make me that much more excited for when legitimate pics finally surface!

Confidential pictures are that: confidential. Describing confidential leaks is just as harmful as posting the photos. It amazes me how many people continually fail to realize this every year.

Confidential pictures are that: confidential. Describing confidential leaks is just as harmful as posting the photos. It amazes me how many people continually fail to realize this every year.

Agreed!

I'm a fairly dumb person, so would anyone explain me how leaks can be harmful?

In two months we will have official images anyway, so competitors (??) won't have much more time in their hands. And about us, the customers... do you really think we ain't gonna buy current sets because we know about the upcoming ones?! That would be just weird.

We're AFOLs, aka 5% of LEGO's money. If for whatever reason we'd stop buying sets because we saw them leaked (???) LEGO would barely notice.

Please don't ban me for my words ;__;

I'm a fairly dumb person, so would anyone explain me how leaks can be harmful?

In two months we will have official images anyway, so competitors (??) won't have much more time in their hands. And about us, the customers... do you really think we ain't gonna buy current sets because we know about the upcoming ones?! That would be just weird.

We're AFOLs, aka 5% of LEGO's money. If for whatever reason we'd stop buying sets because we saw them leaked (???) LEGO would barely notice.

Please don't ban me for my words ;__;

Leaks are bad precisely because competitors, wait not even competitors..maybe clone shops can copy the sets to be made by LEGO....and you'd be extremely surprised just how quickly they can do so. Two weeks could be enough really. I'm not naming countries or anything, just know that they could use harmful substitutes for the LEGO plastic and sell them to people. So yeah, as much as I would love to see leaks, they actually aren't good.

Edited by lambda_cla3391

Leaks are bad precisely because competitors, wait not even competitors..maybe clone shops can copy the sets to be made by LEGO....and you'd be extremely surprised just how quickly they can do so. Two weeks could be enough really. I'm not naming countries or anything, just know that they could use harmful substitutes for the LEGO plastic and sell them to people. So yeah, as much as I would love to see leaks, they actually aren't good.

I somehow understand, but then why doesn't LEGO show new sets in December rather than October? That would almost annihilate every chance for competitors of producing knock offs.

I somehow understand, but then why doesn't LEGO show new sets in December rather than October? That would almost annihilate every chance for competitors of producing knock offs.

The other thing with leaks is that they are of preliminary images, so LEGO is still working on the designs and final versions of the sets...if people get pics of these, I assume it downplays the effect of an unveiling of the product. Also, people get the wrong idea of what the final product will be..so it could possibly affect preferences, or demand of an item. Want an incredibly accurate example? I just heard Lewa is getting keetorange shells replaced with apple green. I dislike that and would now likely not plan on using my money to purchase that one set, which obviously doesn't tremendously affect Lego's profit...but imagine that happening multiplied by many other people who share my opinion of a set that hasn't even been revealed yet. I'd likely substitute lewa with...something else that isn't lego. I think the unveiling in October is meant to preview the sets to a select few people (this is likely why in Britain toy fair photography is banned)...I think it's for a toy fair thing. Not 100% sure

To add to this, I think that if a clone company were to try and copy this product and sell it as their own after the product's two-month preview or unveiling, the product being officially LEGO's would put them in a nice spot for a lawsuit.

Edited by lambda_cla3391

Confidential pictures are that: confidential. Describing confidential leaks is just as harmful as posting the photos.

Not really.

That's like saying describing a movie is the same as pirating it. Whatever happened to freedom of speech?

Not really.

That's like saying describing a movie is the same as pirating it. Whatever happened to freedom of speech?

...this is not the government telling you you cannot speak, this is a moderator of a website telling you if you're going to use that speech, use it somewhere else. Freedom of speech applies exclusively to the government. The government cannot tell you what you can and cannot say. A moderator of a website is free to tell you what you can and cannot say on a website.

Not really.

Freedom of speech means one and only one thing: that the government can't limit what you can say. It doesn't mean that an employer can't fire you for breach of contract. It doesn't mean that online communities can't set limits on what can or can't be discussed. And it doesn't mean that people won't be held to certain expectations of whether or not their speech is appropriate.

That said: while describing leaks may technically constitute breach of contract for leakers, and go against Lego's expressed wishes for online communities they partner with (despite Eurobricks' continued allowance of said discussion), I wouldn't necessarily say that it's "as bad" as leaking the pictures themselves. Most of what's been discussed in this topic would not be of great use to Lego's competitors, since it mostly amounts to "what kinds of creatures are the Creature sets" or "what colors do the Toa use" or "what kinds of weapons do they have". There's very little there in the way of concrete information that a clone brand could take advantage of to give their own product lines a leg up on the competition—and even the most concrete information we have (pricing) is not substantially different from this year's products, to the point where it could have easily been inferred through guesswork alone.

Not really.

My point being that every year someone describes the sets but is worried that it will affect their career or come back to haunt them in some way. Viewing confidential images and sharing details about them is, yes, as harmful to that person's career or position as sharing the images themselves. A more apt comparison is to say that scanning a confidential document is just as bad as explaining what it said- either way, it's leaking information about confidential property.

Freedom of speech applies exclusively to the government.

No it doesn't, it's a constitutional right that everyone should be entitled to.

Also, it's pictures of kiddies toys. And I'm sure nobody here has every downloaded a song, listened to music or watched TV shows on youtube, posted an image without credit to it's creator, or yes, viewed confidential leaked images.

The ultimate irony would be if Nekchir was either lying or misinformed. For all we know he's making this up, though I don't believe he is, there's no way to actually confirm what he's saying is confidential until said confidential material is no longer confidential.

Edited by One Very Agile Cat

My point being that every year someone describes the sets but is worried that it will affect their career or come back to haunt them in some way. Viewing confidential images and sharing details about them is, yes, as harmful to that person's career or position as sharing the images themselves. A more apt comparison is to say that scanning a confidential document is just as bad as explaining what it said- either way, it's illegal.

It's illegal either way, but the difference—a big difference—is that descriptions alone are far harder for employers to trace to their specific source, and for that matter are much less likely to go viral and get Lego's attention in the first place.

No it doesn't, it's a constitutional right.

Also, it's pictures of kiddies toys.

Yes. The constitutional right to not have your speech restricted by the government (and ONLY by the government). It has nothing whatsoever to do with online communities like Eurobricks, which are free to set their own rules about what speech is or isn't allowed.

Edited by Lyichir

No it doesn't, it's a constitutional right that everyone should be entitled to.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

You mean that constitutional right? The one that blatantly says it's just about the government making laws?

A website telling you what you can and cannot say does not violate the first amendment. Someone telling you to shut up does not violate the first amendment. The only thing that violates the first amendment is the government making a law that restricts your freedom of speech. Everyone else is free to do as they please.

You mean that constitutional right? The one that blatantly says it's just about the government making laws?

Well y'know how it is. Would this be a bad time to mention I'm not an American citizen?

My ultimate point is that Nekchir should be allowed to say what he says since there's no proof that what he's saying is actually confidential information. And the only way to prove that is for someone else to actually commit the crime of posting the images, or wait until the final sets are revealed.

It's illegal either way, but the difference—a big difference—is that descriptions alone are far harder for employers to trace to their specific source, and for that matter are much less likely to go viral and get Lego's attention in the first place.

There's also this. Edited by One Very Agile Cat