Ayrlego

[COR - May FB3] Fort Denison, Mooreton Bay

Of course one of the first priorities of a new colony, especially one surrounded by potential enemies, must be it's defence. To this end Major Dirk Allcock has designed and had constructed a small fort in the entrance to the harbour. A small rocky outcrop, not even really an island, was flattened out and a small tower was constructed on it. The round construction using thick bricks of sandstone from the newly established quarry makes the squat fortress impervious to all but the largest cannon fire. Eight 18 pounder cannon give a full 360 degree coverage of the harbour, although not all can be used at once, in-fact only 2 artillery crews can really fit inside at one time, but 8 cannon looks more intimidating, and if all the cannon are pre-loaded it saves in reloading time!

Here Dirk conducts an inspection of the finished tower.

26761590513_a929d6d7bb_c.jpg

27270424402_4d4e13fe79_c.jpg

Details.

Licensed as a small fort, Mooreton Bay, Alicentia.

I really wanted to get a fort in before the end of the month and it would seem I have (just) made it!! I was feeling insecure for my little settlement with the unknown forces of Garvey next door (not to mention the strangely suspicious island choices of Olean). Not sure how the Garvians are going to react to the glorious presence of our Empire on what they may have mistakenly thought was their island :pir-classic:

Anyway the build is inspired by the real Fort Denison in Sydney harbour. The only example of a Martello tower in Australia, it was obsolete before construction had even finished!

This is very interesting.

It is a brand new fort, however it looks like it is already 300 years old...

Another very interesting thing:

The Garvian settlement was there long before Corrington arrived. If anyone was an agressor, it would be Corrington who claims the island of someone else. You bunch of warmongers!

The build itself is very cool though!

I really wanted to get a fort in before the end of the month and it would seem I have (just) made it!! I was feeling insecure for my little settlement with the unknown forces of Garvey next door (not to mention the strangely suspicious island choices of Olean). Not sure how the Garvians are going to react to the glorious presence of our Empire on what they may have mistakenly thought was their island :pir-classic:

Nice fort design !

I like the octagonal shape and the colour choice is good !

As always you showed us a very good build !

This is very interesting.It is a brand new fort, however it looks like it is already 300 years old...Another very interesting thing:The Garvian settlement was there long before Corrington arrived. If anyone was an agressor, it would be Corrington who claims the island of someone else. You bunch of warmongers!The build itself is very cool though!

Thanks... I think... :pir-classic:

Good point with the aged look. Most of the convict hewn sandstone structures I've seen are quite rough and uneven, with the sandstone itself showing different shades and colours. (admittedly the structures I'm talking about are mostly between 150-200 years old!) I may have over done it a bit in Lego... but I like the end result!

EDIT: This is the original Fort Denison so you see what I mean about the sandstone.nsw-sydney-fort-denison-sydney-harbour-museum-muse2.JPG

As for warmongering... this fort is quite clearly purely a defensive structure to protect the peace loving Corlander settlers of the previously unclaimed part of the island known as Alicentia. If there is conflict I doubt it will be Corlanders who fire the first shot (unless that shot is in self defence.... pirate_tong.gif ). Jeez with this reaction anyone would think my fort is costing you greenbacks doubloons or something.... :pir_laugh2:

------

Thanks Faladrin!!

Edited by Ayrlego

Thanks... I think... pir_laugh2.gif

Good point with the aged look. Most of the convict hewn sandstone structures I've seen are quite rough and uneven, with the sandstone itself showing different shades and colours. (admittedly the structures I'm talking about are mostly between 150-200 years old!) I may have over done it a bit in Lego... but I like the end result!

As for warmongering... this fort is quite clearly purely a defensive structure to protect the peace loving Corlander settlers of the previously unclaimed part of the island known as Alicentia. If there is conflict I doubt it will be Corlanders who fire the first shot (unless that shot is in self defence.... pirate_tong.gif ). Jeez with this reaction anyone would think my fort is costing you greenbacks doubloons or something.... pirate_laugh_new.gif

Thanks Faladrin!!

Well, who knows I am a gambling addict and I put a lot of money on the question "who is going to have full control over the island: Garvey or Corrington". Gambles are still open btw,

Corrington is 1-2 while Garvey (as underdog) is 1-5...

Hahaha just kidding pirate_laugh2.gif

It would be a nice idea however...pirate_look.gif

About the aging matter:

It is something that many builders do, and which is completely wrong in my opinion. Especially in the medieval themes, some are overacting and make their buildings at least 1000 years old, while the timeframe still is medieval times. My opinion is: when you build a new structure, it has to look like a new structure, not like a structure that already is about to collapse

Edited by Maxim I

Yeah, it would be interesting, still I hope we can peacefully co-exist for at least a while!

Love the shape of this and the bright color the blue adds! The cannons make the fort look quite imposing. :thumbup:

Excellent tower! Good design, good use of color and texture, and appropriate size for what it represents. I understand the argument that, as newly built, it shouldn't look so aged, but it's so attractive as is that I'm not complaining.

That looks fantastic, I think in a setting like this if all the builds were "new" we would become bored with them much quicker, both in terms of building them and in viewing those of others, so I wouldn't change it even if factually it might be more appropriate for everything to look recently built.

The colour is lovely, the tower looks like it would do it's job very well although I don't think I'd want to be inside if a few of those cannons fired at the same time pirate_tong.gif . Easily one of my favourite forts so far

A very nice design and a very fitting one for that period. Needless to say that , i spent half the day studying the Martello towers in half the planet...

I really like the canons and the texturing of the wall. Photography is also clean and crisp, great job man.

wub_drool.gif Lovely fort, Ayrlego, the color-scheme and texture are spot-on, and your photography is brilliant, as always! The cannon array and bulkiness of the tower give it a very powerful look, and the light trans-blue water adds just the right amount of color to the build. Beautiful job!

...With this reaction anyone would think my fort is costing you greenbacks doubloons or something.... :pir-laugh:

default_laugh_new.gifdefault_roflmao.gifdefault_iamded_lol.png

Thanks everyone for the comments, I appreciate your thoughts!

Regarding the aged look I added a picture of the real fort Denison in my earlier reply to show the effect I was trying to get with the sandstone - it still might be a bit overdone, but like several of you commented I too like the end result too much to consider changing it!

I agree the trans light blue added some much needed colour - I was considering not making the rock base and stairs and just presenting on the square plate. I'm glad I added the rocks and water!

Needless to say that , i spent half the day studying the Martello towers in half the planet...

Yep, I know that feeling! Even though I grew up seeing the real thing frequently I had never heard of a Martello tower until this project - it was an interesting read!

I was wondering when we would see the first Martello tower in BoBS, and of course, I was expecting it to be a Corlander invention! pirate_laugh2.gif

As always, you presentation, story and build is really nice, Ayrlego.

I do somewhat agree with the general notion that we shouldn't build stuff so that it already two days after construction looks 200 years old, but I disagree with its application here. As you write yourself, this tower is build from rough sandstone blocks of different colour, hewn by unskilled penal labourers, so of course it would not look polished. In any case, it is a military installation, not a palace or monument, so it would make little sense to use finely polished, very expensive rocks, when these rough blocks do the job just as well.

Great work! Will be looking forward to seeing more of Mooreton Bay! pirate_blush.gif

Why am I always late to the comment party? default_wacko.gifdefault_laugh2.gif

Wow, this is easily one of my favorite forts in BoBS so far default_wubnew.gif Lovely concept, textures, clean build, great pics - love all about it default_wubnew.gifdefault_wubnew.gif

Now Oleon needs to come up with something larger default_laugh2.gif

Keep it up... sky-high in the ayr!

Lovely color combinations for the walls, and the shape is superb! Gorgeous build and top-notch presentation pirate_classic.gif

This is a well done fort and I really like the way it turned out. The hexagon shape did really well at portraying the tight curvature of the original fort. I agree with the previous comments that the base and water really added to the fort. Overall a great Corrington fort that reveals our superior technology!

Thanks for the comments guys! I really enjoyed this one! Much more so than my last couple. Hope to have more for Mooreton Bay soon!

This looks just amazing, not much else to say.

I assume it's quite tough to MOC a strong fortress on such a small scale, and you nailed it perfectly.