Hi, I have recently started a tracked vehicle project. I have made a few other topics about it, building it etc. I was wondering if anyone has made a vehicle then turned around and made it articulated. (Especially tracked)

I also need tips on how to do this.

Thanks

Articulated as in an articulated hauler, or dump truck? If so you could use a large or even a small turntable, as the pivot point which would be stronger than an axle or a pin. You could also use the ball joint from the customized pick up truck, which works nice. You could even do something similar to the Volvo wheel loader, which has a section articulated in a sort of pivot point suspension style. Hope this helps, but I do not quite understand what you want.

The pick up truck ball joint would be perfect for a firm attachment between two different vehicle bodies, and it can carry a u joint if you want both of them driven. I may be young, but with my thirteen years in this eart, five of those being with technic this is the strategy I would use.

Do you mean like all one piece, like the 42049 mine loader?

lego-42049-technic-mine-loader.jpg

Yeah check out some of my other topics about my tracked vehicle.

In your other topic I don't see an articulated vehicle. How do you imagine a tracked vehicle being articulated other then by having two separate tracked vehicles that are connected using a pivoting joint?

In your other topic I don't see an articulated vehicle. How do you imagine a tracked vehicle being articulated other then by having two separate tracked vehicles that are connected using a pivoting joint?

I wasn't talking about it being articulated, I wanted to make it articulated. I have thought it out and it would be extremely difficult to make it like that BUT it can be done.

What do you mean by articulated then? Like do you mean steered, or like, have the tracks themselves bend, or have 2 sets of tracks instead of wheels, with a body like the 42049?

I wasn't talking about it being articulated, I wanted to make it articulated. I have thought it out and it would be extremely difficult to make it like that BUT it can be done.

Okay, I understand. But what I still don't understand is how it can be 'one piece' and articulated at the same time. Do you have a real-life example?

What do you mean by articulated then? Like do you mean steered, or like, have the tracks themselves bend, or have 2 sets of tracks instead of wheels, with a body like the 42049?

I would want to have each track to be articulated. Just articulated, nothing difficult.

But what do you mean by articulated? there are multiple different kinds of articulation. Maybe you could draw a diagram of what you want?

Do you mean like the 42038?

lego-42038-technic-1.jpg

916mVNctffL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by MRP_

Or are you referring to skid steering or cross-drive steering so you can switch between both tracks running in the same direction and both tracks running in opposite direction? Triple differential steering is a technique used in tanks.

Edited by Didumos69

Or are you referring to skid steering or cross-drive steering so you can switch between both tracks running in the same direction and both tracks running in opposite direction?

Yeah. Also look up John Deere Skidder, that is my next project which is also articulated.

Yeah. Also look up John Deere Skidder, that is my next project which is also articulated.

You say 'yeah', but articulated is not the same as skid steering. The John Deere Skidder is an articulated vehicle but lacks skid steering, whereas a normal tank is not artculated but does have skid - or cross-drive - steering.

I would want to have each track to be articulated. Just articulated, nothing difficult.

Suspended? Able to turn separately?

Because an articulated tracked vehicle, where the tracks bend with the rest of the vehicle in a turn isn't possible with LEGO, nor in real life.