Sign in to follow this  
ShrikeArghast

Simulating BB drivers in LDD?

Quick question: is there a way to represent the biggest BB drivers in LDD when creating a MOC? I would like to make my Royal Hudson functional so that - in the future - I can order parts and actually construct it. However, I want to me able to get things like driver spacing, axle location, and valve gear all squared away before I ever start placing orders. So... how do people who build locomotives designed around these wheels approach this problem?

You could always use LDraw. If you go on the BBB Wheels website, you can download part files for all the wheels in LDraw format. Unfortunately, nothing for LDD...

Dan-147

Edited by Dan-147

I flip the normal drivers over. The hub of the BBB XL driver is the size of the flange of the L driver, and the flange is 1 plate thick. This is true of the relationship between all BBB wheels -- each size is 2 plates larger in diameter than the previous one. The crank hole is in the same position on the L and XL drivers (but not the M!).

However, I highly recommend ordering some XL wheels to experiment with -- there are some problems that can't be reproduced in LDD, such as the interaction between certain driver setups and switch tracks.

Anyone have ideas for substituting BBB Medium drive wheels? I have a switcher in LDD I made a long time ago and I would like to improve it.

I flip the normal drivers over. The hub of the BBB XL driver is the size of the flange of the L driver, and the flange is 1 plate thick. This is true of the relationship between all BBB wheels -- each size is 2 plates larger in diameter than the previous one. The crank hole is in the same position on the L and XL drivers (but not the M!).

However, I highly recommend ordering some XL wheels to experiment with -- there are some problems that can't be reproduced in LDD, such as the interaction between certain driver setups and switch tracks.

Lovely solution, thank you. Is hole placement for the rod axles identical, too?

Lovely solution, thank you. Is hole placement for the rod axles identical, too?

That is correct, although it is in a different position on the M driver.