JimBee

Heroica RPG - Quest #151: Send the Pain Below

Hunkan is idly tapping his foot on the ground, not wanting to take part in the fight between Goliath and the others.

Nahzka continues to observe the heroes while she waits for Hunkan's response.

"Hm? Oh, is it my turn? Yes, well..." He takes a moment to come up with the right words, and to think about the past few weeks of his life. "My name is Hunkan. I'm a drifter of sorts, and came to Eubric hoping to settle down. I stumbled upon Heroica completely by accident, but I'm quite happy working there." He avoids making eye contact with Nahzka the whole time, still frightened by her appearance.

"Thank you. Why are you all red, if it's not impolite to ask? Is it paint?"

imp1.jpg

Nahzka seemed a little taken aback, but replied coolly, "For the same reason you are all yellow, child. I do not suppose you were painted at birth, either."

"Ye should try having everything about ye taken away! Me new body gives me great strength and endurance compared to who I was before but now... now I cannot be with a fine lass, if ye catch what I mean. Drop me in the high seas, I rust and I sink! I may have me old brain but becoming a machine tampers with yer mind - for better or worse. Being polite was never in me nature. Royalty makes a big deal over social graces when men, women, and children fight every day just to survive. So being polite is the least of me worries, lass... uh, yer highness." Goliath remarks sarcastically and sighs.

imp1.jpg

"Death comes for us all one way or another. I understand your difficulty but perhaps you should be thankful to be preserved longer than your old body would have allowed."

Hunkan is idly tapping his foot on the ground, not wanting to take part in the fight between Goliath and the others.

"Hm? Oh, is it my turn? Yes, well..." He takes a moment to come up with the right words, and to think about the past few weeks of his life. "My name is Hunkan. I'm a drifter of sorts, and came to Eubric hoping to settle down. I stumbled upon Heroica completely by accident, but I'm quite happy working there." He avoids making eye contact with Nahzka the whole time, still frightened by her appearance.

imp1.jpg

"Drifters and wanderers all find a home eventually. Perhaps you will find one sooner than you think."

"Very well, thank you all for sharing some things about yourselves. I believe it is best to get to know someone before you trust them with anything. And it is fair that I tell you about my people now."

Nahzka closed her eyes.

"Long ago, the imps lived freely among forest and earth. It was a prosperous life for many of us before the races of men, gnomes or even dwarves were born. Soon our race would collide with the others. We were nothing more than animals to these ancestors who arrived from the east to the continent once known as Mercution, the ancient home of imps and several other peoples. The greed of men, dwarves and elves drove the imps deep underground. The imps are no warriors; we had a few who could manipulate the nature around them but they were not nearly enough to stop the endless numbers of the newcomers. After some time even the underground was not safe. The greed for precious minerals ran deep, and paladins and others began to think of our race as demons. After most of our numbers were wiped out, the rest were banished to the realm called Azazot, the home of demons. There we stayed for many years and ages, preserved by the different flow of time there. But we eventually returned to Olegaia, quite recently in fact. We were fortunate enough to have a safe place in this city, away from the eyes of the many. Who knows how the world would perceive us after so much time?"

The imp queen opened her eyes again. "It has turned out that it would not remain long before we were discovered and became known by the people on the surface. As we expected we would not be welcomed by some. This is our problem, heroes of Heroica. A gnome from Zylstra was killed last week, or so we are told. The gnomes seem to think we are fault. It is common knowledge here that we came from Azazot. And it is true that still some of our people are there, We have not yet figured out a way to retrieve them, but it is no secret that we seek to do so. This, the people of Zylstra fear. If we opened a doorway to Azazot we might let loose demons of all sort bent on destruction of Olegaia. They believe this fear came true last week. I can assure you we have done no such thing."

"Your job, heroes, is to find a way to prove our innocence in this matter. Investigate the town for clues and speak to the people. If you can find enough evidence to clear our names, perhaps we can resolve things with the town peacefully. That is all we want, after all."

She stepped back a bit, and another imp, this one a male, appeared before the party, as if on cue.

imp1.jpg

"Sigil will explain the details to you, but I will be here to answer any question you may have. Good luck, heroes."

The male imp approached and began to speak. The heroes note that his voice was quite normal compared to Nahzka's, if high-pitched and scratchy compared to a human's. His words were also interlaced with clicks and chirps that were supposedly inherent in impish language.

heroicanpc-sigil.jpg

"Right then. Before you go out you should know about the town and places to investigate. Of course, there is our settlement here. There are a few of us who would be able to speak to you more about ourselves or anything you wish. In Zylstra itself, there is the Sluice, a tavern where many of the citizens gather. You may find some answers from the common people there. Next door there is a shop where you can resupply, and in the big mushroom building is the Baron's office. He is something of a mayor to the town. We know of a masked woman who has been visiting him recently. We are not sure of her intentions, but she is not a gnome. Perhaps most importantly there is the home of the gnome who was killed - you may be able to investigate the crime scene. Lastly, there is a dig site that once led to a part of Mercution, though the tunnel is collapsed. There have been rumors of strange sounds coming from that area lately."

"You are to investigate these areas, but you may do so in any order you wish. You will report back to us when you have found something. Are there any questions?"

tpFsWtT.png?1

"No questions."

Goliath heads to the Baron's office and looks out for anything of value on his way there.

Slow down there, Goliath. I think we're gonna move as a team.

He looks at Ellaria to check his information.

Unless...?

QM Note: You may split up, but note that there or may or may not be positive/negative consequences for doing so. :wink:

Maybe we should split ourselves up strategically. I wanna start by investigating the crime scene, but I'm gonna need company.

"One question, good sir. Does the baron know that you have asked us to come and search this place? If not, then it may be a good idea to first see him, if he is a friendly fellow that is. Oh, also, as somebody mentoned before, how can we be completely sure that one of your people did not kill the poor gnome? I don't mean to place undue suspicion on anyone, but I'd hate to search for someone that doesn't exist where we're searching and find out that he is where we aren't searching."

"I'll go with you, Kid. I was thinking about heading there myself."

"I'll go with Kid and Hunkan as well."

Good. With Goliath and Petaldan at the Baron's office, we'll be able to get both pieces of the information we need without wasting any time.

Kid checks with the party leader.

Any objections?

"One question, good sir. Does the baron know that you have asked us to come and search this place? If not, then it may be a good idea to first see him, if he is a friendly fellow that is. Oh, also, as somebody mentoned before, how can we be completely sure that one of your people did not kill the poor gnome? I don't mean to place undue suspicion on anyone, but I'd hate to search for someone that doesn't exist where we're searching and find out that he is where we aren't searching."

heroicanpc-sigil.jpg

"The Baron knows alright, and he's none too happy about it, heh. But he agreed it would be fair to have a third party investigate, and that is why Moke was sent to get you. Is there anything you can know for sure? I think not. You're welcome to investigate us as well, but the only way you'll find answers is if you look for them."

"Thank you, sir. So, my fair lady," I say to Ellaria, "where would you like to begin? I will be your shield and bodyguard."

Edited by Palathadric

Ellaria evaluated her party mates with her eyes. "Hmm... We should definitely split up to cover more ground, but nobody should venture into any dangerous places alone. Kid, Hunkan and Ezeran, search the crime scene for any clues about how and why the murder was done. I myself will go with Petaldan and Goliath to meet the baron and get his insights on the matters of this town. Let's agree that this imp settlement is our rendez-vous place, so return here if you hit a dead end in your investigations. You can count on us to cleanse your tribe's name, Queen Nahzka."

The alchemist motioned to the automaton and the child knight to follow her to the Baron's Office.

The heroes decide to split up.

Kid, Ezeran and Hunkan venture into town looking for the home of the gnome who was killed. It's not a very big town so it doesn't take them long to figure out that the home is on the second story, above Shelby's Scavenged Specialties. The heroes enter, and a female gnome awaits them behind a counter cluttered with various items.

27301678202_94bef07cc4.jpg

"Welcome to... Oh. Hello there, is there something I can help you with?"

She seemed to regard the heroes with a bit of caution, and her eyes and tone told them she was sad.

Party A:

reddson.JPG Kid Reddson (dum)

19-year-old Male Human (1/4 Leprechaun) Ranger

Level 5 *Aims become Hits*

Power Bonus: 0

Health: 10/10

Gold: 2

Equipment: Crossbow (WP 3), Quiver of Homing Arrows (Rolls of AIM become HIT; can only be used with a bow or a crossbow; backwear.)

Inventory: 3 Smoke Bomb, 2 Potion, Phoenix Essence, Venom, Fire Bomb, Sterile Gloves (Grants Immunity to Poisoned and Bleeding effects, Handwear), Bedroll

19745451253_0970632efb_m.jpg Ezeran Yavarr (MysticModulus)

42 year old male human Mage

Level 14 *Immune to wood and fire* *Absorbs Darkness* *Enemies that hits Ezeran become slowed*

Power Bonus: 0 (+2 spellpower)

Defense: 3

Health: 18/18

Ether: 18/18

Gold: 0

Equipment: Ancient Sapphamber Staff (WP:8, doubled against Ancient enemies, Wind-elemental; staff), Sneezing Demon (SP:2; enemies that hit the wearer becomeslowed; immunity to wood and fire; suitable to Ezeran only; bodywear.), Hood of the Elementalist (SP:1, *Absorbs darkness*; headwear, suitable to anyone),

Inventory: Emerald (Wood), Ruby (Fire), Remedy X3, Bedroll, Smoke Bomb, Pick Axe, Trickster’s Baubel (WP:6, each hit causes one random effect: stunned, poisoned by 1, asleep, blinded, sealed or confused; wand), Sylvania's Cowl (Grants "Animal Talk", Headwear), Grand tonics X2, Potions X5, Nostrum X2.

22476602193_881303c9d6_q.jpg Hunkan Silvertoss (BountyBeast)

53 year old male dwarf Rogue *Immune to Blinded*

Level 7

Health: 13/13

Gold: 188

Equipment: Ebony Scorpion Dagger (WP: 5, deals Poisoned-by-3), Goggles (Provides immunity to Blinded effect, Headwear)

Inventory: Potion, Phoenix Essence, Nostrum, Remedy, Fire Bomb, Wooden Sword (WP:7; Suitable to Anyone)

----

Meanwhile Ellaria leads Goliath and Petaldan to the Baron's office situated inside of a giant mushroom.

9233150643_942f427c2e_c.jpg

8743579240_10371718cf_t.jpg

"Who- Oh, heroes. I see you made it down for the investigation. Not that you'll find anything, but I suppose it was only fair to let the little demons try. We're not executioners in Zylstra, but it seems our guests are. What can I help you with?"

Party B:

ava-ellaria5.jpgEllaria Arbour (Sandy) ~Party Leader~

25 years old female human Alchemist

Level 34 2/4 *Immune to Fire* *Three rolls for Mixture* *Transfer poisoned and bleeding upon being hit* *No Free Hits for 3 rounds*

Defense: 6 (1+5)

Health: 55/55 (9+33+10+1+2)

Gold: 233

Equipment: Mythril Mallet (WP: 20, wood- and darkness-elemental; Hollow [-]; hammer), Rubber Gloves (For Mixture, the die is rolled three times instead of twice, and the highest two results determine the created item; suitable to alchemists; handwear.), Robe of the Magi (SP:1, suitable for mages, clerics, alchemists, chi monks, decamon drafters, necromancers, regulators, scholars and weather mages; bodywear.), Spider Helmet (SP:5, passes poisoned and bleeding effects to the enemy when the wearer is hit; immunity to fire; headwear), Spirit Robe (Renders wearer invisible to the enemy for the first three rounds of battle so they do not take free hits; backwear)

Inventory:

Weapons Ignis Fatuus (WP:13, permanently poisoned by 15, fire- and lighting-elemental staff), Sylvania's Crossbow (WP:10, wood-elemental crossbow), Pan Flute (WP: 7, instrument), Wizard's Staff (WP:1, fire-, wind-, water- and earth-elemental staff), Wormtail Whip (WP:15, earth-elemental, whip)

Artifacts: Ranger's Quiver (WP: +1 to bows and crossbows, suitable for rangers, beast warriors, infiltrators, and winged warriors; backwear), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Max Ether +5, protects from sealing; suitable for mages, clerics, necromancers, scholars and weather mages, bodywear), Cherokee Rose (Doubles potency of both incoming and outgoing restorative consumables and healing; suitable for Ellaria only; accessory.)

Spell Items: Scroll of Inspiration (Inspired for rest of battle, 10 ether, 50/50 chance) Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Weakening, Serenade of Water (Causes Water damage equal to the minstrel's level to all enemies per round for as long as the song is sung. Costs 10 ether per round. Battle Song)

Consumables: 10 Grand Potions, Health Core, 4 Tonics, Diluted Arc Tonic (Restores 10 ether to all allies), 3 Grand Tonics, Ether Core, 2 Hyper Arc Tonics (Restores full ether to all allies), 2 Elixirs, Arc Elixir (Restores 60 health and 15 ether to all allies and removes negative effects.), 2 Remedies, Neutralizer, Tiger Balm, 3 Phoenix Essences, Last Resort (revives all knocked allies to 1 health), 3 Meads, 3 Smelling Salts, 2 Nostrums, 2 Soma, 2 Mulled Wines, 2 Smoke Bombs, Hot'n'Cold Bomb (Causes 30 fire- and ice-elemental damage to all enemies), Holy Rain Bomb (Causes 20 water-, wind- and light-elemental damage to all enemies), Bad Breath (Poisoned by 1-effect to all enemies), Feather of White, Demon Repellent

Tools etc.: Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, Magic Compass, Magnifying Glass, Chemistry Set (Allows the user to use Mixture outside of battle, costs 2 Gold Bars/un-modified roll, suitable for alchemists; tool), 3 Gold Bars

petaldan_parfenius.jpgPaladin Petaldan Parfenius (Played by Palathadric)

5-year-old male "wonder" Knight

Level: 11.5 *Immune to Stunned, Bound, Petrified and Earth*

Power: 16

Defense: 9

Health: 22/22 10+10+2*

Gold: 153

Equipment: Brine Blade (WP: 5, 1/6 chance to trigger a Flood (see Weather Mage) when dealing damage, Longsword), Shield (SP: 5; Shield), Gloves of the Boy Wonder(SP:2; immunity to *Stunned*, *Bound*, and *Petrified*; suitable to Petaldan only; handwear), Really Hard Helmet (SP: 2, Immunity to Earth)

Inventory:

Weapons: Slimy Sword (WP:12, can be split into several weaker Slimy Swords or combined with other Slimy Swords to increase WP and split apart again at any time, Longsword)

Gems: Emerald

Consumables: 2x Potion, 2x Grand Potion, 2x Remedy, Phoenix Essence, Ambrosia, 2x Smoke Bomb, Fire Bomb

Tools: Bedroll

tpFsWtT.png?1 Goliath (Goliath)

Automaton Barbarian

Level 1

Power: 4

Defense: 0

Health: 10/10 (8+2)

Gold: 0

Equipment: Ebony Scorpion Spear (WP:5, deals Poisoned-by-3; spear)

Inventory: Potion x4, Mead x3, Plasma Cutlass (WP:3; Greatsword), Magma Maul (WP: 6, 1/6 chance to trigger an Inferno (see Weather Mage) when dealing damage, hammer), Tonic x2, Bunch of 10 Cherries (Each cherry restores 1 ether when eaten), Smelling Salts, Nostrum, Blind Bomb, Dirt Bomb, Bedroll, Shovel

Debts: 20 Gold (Torald)

Ezeran looks around more carefully to see the layout of the building. Is there a stair to the upstairs apartment? Is there a backdoor as well? The symbiont grumbles a bit. Ezeran then faces the woman behind the counter waiting for the others to take som initiative to form a tactic to gather as much information as possible.

tpFsWtT.png?1

"Aye, we have a few questions to ask ye, if ye don't mind. I'd like to know, has thar been any outsiders here recently? Does anyone with a criminal record live 'ere? And what be the name of the gnome who was killed and did he have any known enemies?"

"Hello, good Mister Baron. I am so sorry to hear about the problem you've had here. The imps do seem convinced that it is not their fault, but I'm sure you're quite as interested in finding the guilty party as they are. Do you think all the imps were behind the attack or do you think it was just one or two acting on their own?"

Edited by Palathadric

Ezeran looks around more carefully to see the layout of the building. Is there a stair to the upstairs apartment? Is there a backdoor as well? The symbiont grumbles a bit. Ezeran then faces the woman behind the counter waiting for the others to take som initiative to form a tactic to gather as much information as possible.

There is a door to the left of the counter that presumably leads upstairs.

"Aye, we have a few questions to ask ye, if ye don't mind. I'd like to know, has thar been any outsiders here recently? Does anyone with a criminal record live 'ere? And what be the name of the gnome who was killed and did he have any known enemies?"

"Outsiders? Uh, besides you, my advisor. You may see her around. Criminal record? Not since those Sewer Wolves came around. The one who died was Maggie, may she rest in peace. I pray her death is avenged."

"Hello, good Mister Baron. I am so sorry to hear about the problem you've had here. The imps do seem convinced that it is not their fault, but I'm sure you're quite as interested in finding the guilty party as they are. Do you think all the imps were behind the attack or do you think it was just one or two acting on their own?"

"As if I had any clue. I knew it was a bad idea letting those imps stay here, though! Nothing good ever comes from something so unnatural!"

Ooc: Goliath is in the other room, so that question would addressed to the baron. Also, my computer's acting up, so I'll be on mobile. Hence the lack of color.

Kid tries to be gentle. "Hello, ma'am. We're here to investigate the recent murder of a certain gnome. Is this the house were looking for? If so, can we look at the crime scene?"

Ooc: Goliath is in the other room, so that question would addressed to the baron. Also, my computer's acting up, so I'll be on mobile. Hence the lack of color.

Kid tries to be gentle. "Hello, ma'am. We're here to investigate the recent murder of a certain gnome. Is this the house were looking for? If so, can we look at the crime scene?"

QM Note: Good catch, I've updated the post.

8743579048_3fb02f6e20_t.jpg

"Poor Maggie lived upstairs." Tears began to trickle down Shelby's face. "Murdered right above my own store... I'm afraid I can't let just anyone in. Her belongings are all that's left of her."

"Ma'am, we're trying to catch the murderer, and for that we need to see the crime scene for clues. Is there anything we can do for you to let us upstairs?"

"Is there any other way to access her apartment than through the store? Was it closed up at the time of the murder? Who had keys?"

"Outsiders? Uh, besides you, my advisor. You may see her around. Criminal record? Not since those Sewer Wolves came around. The one who died was Maggie, may she rest in peace. I pray her death is avenged."

"As if I had any clue. I knew it was a bad idea letting those imps stay here, though! Nothing good ever comes from something so unnatural!"

"You have an advisor who's not from here? Interesting. I suppose you know all of your own people too well to suspect any of them would try anything like this, right? You all seem like a friendly sort...but then the imps didn't seem too bad either, though they looked a bit fierce..."

Kid decides to wait before Hunkan and Ezeran's questions are answered. before bombarding the poor girl with another.

"You have an advisor who's not from here? Interesting. I suppose you know all of your own people too well to suspect any of them would try anything like this, right? You all seem like a friendly sort...but then the imps didn't seem too bad either, though they looked a bit fierce..."

"Yes, such an unfortunate case. But I am glad to hear you allow Heroica to investigate on this matter. Surely you trust us after all those times we've helped you previously, Baron. We will do our best to keep things impartial and unclouded by prejudice. About this advisor of yours, can we meet her? Also, how have things been between your people and the imps since they arrived?"