Richard Dower

fake lego sets....i bought 3 of them

I bought one of these knock off sets years ago just out of curiosity.. I was much surprised to find out that the parts had to be cut or twisted off of a parts tree.. Now that I think back, I wasn't really surprised..

I bought one of these knock off sets years ago just out of curiosity.. I was much surprised to find out that the parts had to be cut or twisted off of a parts tree.. Now that I think back, I wasn't really surprised..

the decool one is not like that...vids prove same.

I myself had a very bad experience with the knockoffs. The 3l pins are the most fragile things in the set. Pull it wrong and you have it broken.

Some pins actully MELTED and fused with the rubber hoses.

that is actually a very good point....can anyone be 100% sure ebay or bricklink sellers are not importing parts from china.......hmmmm.......

There is nothing wrong with selling parts imported from China on bricklink. It is only wrong if they are fake.

Very few fake parts get sold on BL, as buyers will soon notice and call the seller out.

As to the original question, if you are happy using fakes, then use fakes. Although you have to ask where does it stop? Why throw away the other parts just because the equivalent lego parts are relatively cheap? Why not use them as well, given you are already using fakes in your models?

I have handled some Sheng Yuan and Decool minifigures and they seemed to be pretty decent quality. The parts were well cast and fit together well. The quality of the ABS was indistinguishable from LEGO's, but the printing wasn't always up to LEGO's standard. Overall though, I was impressed. If TLG imagine that all Chinese clone brands are poor quality and therefore won't appeal to the same consumers, they need to think again. Complacency isn't a viable strategy for TLG.

I once received a Ninjago and Star Wars Chinese knockoffs for a gift. Burned them in my backyard later that day.

I guess there is a big part of Lego-nostalgia playing part in my stance that I don't want to use any non-Lego parts in my creations. This and the fact that I am more the type who sees it as challenge to try to find solutions with the pieces I have, instead of looking to obtain just the ideal one for a certain purpose.

I am usually not keen on the idea of a closed brand-system, but little building bricks are the big exception for me :wink:

I once received a Ninjago and Star Wars Chinese knockoffs for a gift. Burned them in my backyard later that day.

Hope you wernt around the smoke.

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-06-02%2Bat%2B7.19.59%2BAM.png

just bought this set for 1/3 of the original Lego price.

You realise that they are copys of real lego sets so you paying money to people that breaching copyrights.

Simply put, I wouldn't support companies that I knew completely stole designs from another (in this case, LEGO's designs) and tried to sell them as their own.

Edited by General Magma

Simply put, I wouldn't support companies that I knew completely stole designs from another (in this case, LEGO's designs) and tried to sell them as their own.

But LEGO got their designs from Kiddicraft, so by your logic, you shouldn't be supporting LEGO either.

I thought the reason Legos were expensive is because the molds they use are so precise that they cost a lot to make. How are these companies making them so much cheaper?

The licensing thing is a big advantage but I'm still not buying the 'cheap toxic plastic' thing. Brick quality I've seen from bootlegs reminded me of early Megabloks (maybe even current Megabloks as I've only ever bought one MB set and it hurt to push the bricks together due to inferior part moulding which is something I've experienced from even small brick builds from bootlegs), but certainly not toxic.

General set up of company with high QC is also something they don't bother with... I don't buy clone Lego sets but I've heard of people getting quite a few wrong parts. You get what you pay for... but even Lego can get parts wrong sometimes it seems.

I wish those brands were taking a look at Bricklink, picking every HTF part that has never been released or released in just 1 set, and making a pack of just that.

Who would it hurt anyway? Lego doesn't wanna produce them, it would "only" hurt a couple of sellers offering a 3-cents part for 5eur only because of its color, which I'd refuse to buy anyway. Hey, it could even make Lego hurry more & allow us to actually buy new part colors without having to wait for nearly a year.

I just saw minifig hands for 50eur, each. Because they're trans-clear. Wouldn't feel guilty at all to use a chinese knockoff of these (not that I need them specifically).

Edited by anothergol

Some weeks ago I had a thought to buy Elves knock-off, but then I saw such sick minidoll :

hqdefault.jpg

It's just two times cheaper than official Lego set, so it's not such a gool deal, espesially if you are aimed on aestitic side.

I am new to the forum and the whole Lego thing as a hobby. Anyway, today I received Temple of Airjitzu from Amazon Warehouse and it's the knockoff set. The pieces are missing the Lego symbol and bags are not numbered. I am SO pissed and feel this should not be allowed. Unfortunately, this is the world we live in. I have purchased many sets from Amazon and Amazon Warehouse and this is a first for me.

I am new to the forum and the whole Lego thing as a hobby. Anyway, today I received Temple of Airjitzu from Amazon Warehouse and it's the knockoff set. The pieces are missing the Lego symbol and bags are not numbered. I am SO pissed and feel this should not be allowed. Unfortunately, this is the world we live in. I have purchased many sets from Amazon and Amazon Warehouse and this is a first for me.

That stinks, you could return it because of amazons return policy and get a new one.

That's shocking!! Someone must have got the official set out and whacked in a dodgy set and sent it back. I've used Amazon Warehouse before and they've always been fantastic. I picked up a Captain America set a while back that had a 'damaged box' - was absolutely mint!!