Sign in to follow this  
Kolonialbeamter

[OL - FB3] The 'Gladiateur'

Ahoy ya scurvy sea dogs,

Another day - another ship, this time:

The 'Gladiateur'

27172547741_3be021d114_c.jpg

Gladiateur is a veteran brig of war, built for La Royale about a half a decade ago by the Royal Shipyards in Quilbignon. For most of her service life she was stationed in New Oleon, but now the Admiralty has decided to assign her to the New Terra Fleet. In preparation for this, she recently underwent an extended overhaul, during which her hull was structurally improved, and she received an armament of sixteen 12-pounder long guns.

Experienced and well armed, Gladiateur is now entering the arena that is the Eastern Brick Seas, ready to strike devastating blows to her adversaries.

27241682005_8f8bd189bf_c.jpg

27241679435_11ee9ab155_c.jpg

And in comparison to the IFS:

27172551231_4bdcbe82ff_c.jpg

about:

Yes, those really are prefabs! Well, in fact only the upper bow/stern elements are, the rest of the hull is made of curved slopes. Gladiateur is based on an older design, but being sort of the only of my prefab ships, that I really liked, I thought she'd deserve her place here in BoBS, and renewed her.

Gladiateur is no spectacular ship, but she's a fighting workhorse, right what's needed on the waves these days - I hope you can like her despite her simplicity.

C&C welcome!

Vive le Roi!

I sure like her "simplicity", as you say it, but she still is an amazing ship!

A fighting workhorse indeed, looks great! The Oleon flag on the back is fantastic. :thumbup:

Interesting to see a ship without an enclosed cabin, gives a unique look. The detailing on the bow is excellent, and I'm again impressed by the plate sails pirate_classic.gif

Great to see another ship from you, but may I ask how the sides are angled? I can't seem to see that. Not sure what else to say really, great ship as usual, although the cabin seems a little odd to me - can someone confirm if cabins like this actually existed?

This man is building a fleet for sure .... :thumbup:

You've certainly got us outnumbered here pirate_laugh2.gif

Well, the ETWC is easy to outnumber... ;)

Fine ship my friend! I am glad i am stationed to it! Let's kick some (npc) pirate butts!

PS: You did placed that iron plates for anti-splinter protection i've delivered at your shipyard, right? I want (most) of my fighting crew intact!

Nice small(/medium sized?) warship! :classic:

Now I will feel much safer sending cargo vessels into those pirate-infested waters :wink:

Another fine looking ship! thumbup.gif

I do think the cabin needs some sort of roof?

And I really hope you start making some of thee in real brick, I'd love to see if it all works out.

Finally some time to answer and comment a little.

Well, thanks for liking her, y'all :classic:

May I ask how the sides are angled? I can't seem to see that. Not sure what else to say really, great ship as usual, although the cabin seems a little odd to me - can someone confirm if cabins like this actually existed?

I do think the cabin needs some sort of roof?

And I really hope you start making some of thee in real brick, I'd love to see if it all works out.

Well, that's actually a pretty basic setup using 44567 and 60471 for the angled broadsides - although any other combination of hinge plates would do also, and 50950 as 'midsections' - simple and sturdy.

No cabin 'box', yes, it's a flush deck build up, quite common for later area small and medium ships. Saves costs and keeps the center of gravity low, I assume.

Ships in real bricks... well, difficult topic... still haven't come up with a ship I really really want to build. But one day, Captain, one day!

You did placed that iron plates for anti-splinter protection i've delivered at your shipyard, right? I want (most) of my fighting crew intact!

Of course I have! Plus, in the event of an attack the crew will wear shiny armor made of pure silver, to blind any enemy at first sight :grin:

Very pretty brig, KB. I like the discreet yellow colourscheme, with its nice red details. I personally prefer these simpler colour schemes as more practical for a fighting vessel than a more spit-and-polish look with gold leaf left and right.

I think the flush-decked design is great - looks very realistic, and in fact only very few brigs had a quarterdeck. However, I have to agre that the windows included here, giving the impression of a cabin, seems out of place. The cabin would be below deck, and the sides would be without windows for the sake of structural integrety. The beakhead has a very nice shape, as does the rounded bow. The only issue is the lack of gunports for bow chasers.

The overall shape and proportions of the hull looks very realistic.

I like the rigging, especially the masts and bowsprit in more than one part. The only thing that strike me as a bit "out" is the spanker on the mizzen. It seems to me that the gaff should be raised a bit, possibly with a more horisontal angle. Currently, the sail looks very long compared to its height.

All in all a very fine vessel, which to me could easily be a 5LA, given her size and type. Will be looking forward to fighting pirates alongside her!

Glad you like her, Bregir :classic:

The windows... well, the side ones are meant to be (painted) blinds - quite a common feature - but it doesn't come across with the parts I used, so apologies for this. It'll be better recognizable on my next ship :wink: Bow chasers would have interfered with the headrails, so I left them out, but yes, there should have been some.

About the odd angle of the gaff, for sails I'm dependent on Lego's wedge plates, and 45° plates are the only ones that come close to what I needed. But yes, agreed, the angle should be lower IRL.

The Gladiateur doesn't 'look fast enough' IMO to be a 5A1, and I think the size is much rather typical for a 4A.

But rest assured, a 5A1 will soon sail these waters, too :wink:

Points taken, KB. Although, as to speed, brigs were generally known for good speed and manourverability, and I think this one looks low and fast, so I will have to disagree with you there! pirate_laugh2.gif

True, brigs were fast and agile. But as I looked at the ship classification chart when I wanted to build a 4A it said 'war brig'. And since I'm German, and therefore have to obey rules, Gladiateur became a 4A default_laugh2.gif However, you my northern neighbor are not bound by my heavy chains default_laugh_new.gif

Oh, and next ship will be even faster looking default_blink.gif

Ach, ze Germans and zheir rules! pirate_laugh2.gif

Will the next one have rocket engines? pirate_wink.gif

Darn... too late for that, pictures are rendering. And once they are... I'm not allowed to change the MOC anymore. Thatz ze rule! default_roflmao.gif