Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2017 Pictures and Rumors

43 minutes ago, DEAD1974 said:

How long are usually the UCS sets on sale 5 years or more? So everyone who wants the MF will be able to buy it, sooner or later so wheres the problem ?

Some sets aren't, but I'd expect this one to definitely pass 5 years on the shelves before it gets retired.

2 hours ago, AussieSamurai said:

Between this and the beautiful Saturn V, operationally (distribution and stock prep) Lego has had a very poor year. 

Two sets have demand which surpasses exceptions equals a very poor year? I would have to disagree on that. 

The challenge is that when you have factories running at full capacity, you need to take something out to make room for increased production of others sets. Molding & printing parts, shipping them to the correct location for packaging and getting the completed sets on the shelves takes a while. The bad news is that with christmas coming up, and LEGO typically having problems delivering enough sets to the shops it might be a long while before availability of the new MF is good. Just remember how long it took to get the Jurassic World sets back on the shelves after they turned out more popular than expected.

Patience is required young padawans...

3 hours ago, AussieSamurai said:

I think for almost any other company it would be a massive PR disaster.

But as far as Brand loyalty is Lego's is incredibly strong.

I would say that it is too strong, and thus they are less likely to learn valuable lessons that other companies have to.

I have seen some people defending Lego as if Lego was some amateur organisation running a bake sale.

Between this and the beautiful Saturn V, operationally (distribution and stock prep) Lego has had a very poor year. 

Please slap my wrists if this is wildly off topic, but the psychologist Robert Cialdini gives a possible reason in his book of 'Influence', which was told to him by a friend who works in the toy industry. It's about how almost every year, the number one toy at Christmas is undersupplied.

Cialdini says that toy companies might do this deliberately, and it is in response to the lull in sales that occurs in January. For years, toy companies have tried to address this lull but to no avail. But one thing has impacted it: advertising in the run-up to Christmas and then undersupplying. What he says happens is that kids see the adverts and nag their parents. Parents make promises that they will get this toy for Christmas. They then fail to buy it because it is undersupplied. To assuage their guilt, they will then buy something of equal value for Christmas. The companies then re-supply and re-advertise the must-have item after Christmas. Not wanting to go back on their earlier promise, parents then buy this too. So the companies double their money.

One could, feasibly, see how this applies here. People want the MF. They can't get it, so to make up for their loss, they buy something else. They then get the MF too when that restocks.

Just a theory. Sorry if it is too far off topic.

This is exactly what almost every bigger company is doing with "hyped" goods & stuff.

Adidas with this "Yeezy Boost" for example.

If still anyone is thinking LEGO did something wrong when calculating the demand, then you're completely lost. Everything is doing exactly as they wanted it to. Don't think they're stupid, it's all about the money. Even with toys! :devil:

It's not that simple people. Lots of factors go into deciding how much of a product should be made in the initial run. Such as cost of actually increasing the numbers and making your factories more capable of keeping up with demand. If you do that you risk having too many factories that can keep up with demand when the demand slows down making you have unneeded costs. Usually the balance for the best cost/profit ratio has the initial release lower than demand (especially for certain types of products which need very specialized and/or expensive factory stuff). Basically I'm saying if they met demand on day 1 that could shoot themselves in the foot down the road which would discourage them from doing sets like this in the future. I'm not saying this IS what happened. Just that there's always a lot more going on behind the scenes in a business than you may think.

Why then don't they just do what they do with every Lego set and for the most part make them pretty easily available? If they miscalculated the demand and ended up with too many (because of the above scenario) it would be a much bigger mistake and much more costly simply because the sets are huge. They want to try to MEET demand without going too much above demand. If we remember back to the last UCS Falcon it actually didn't do THAT well financially for them and ended up in stores like Costco oddly. 

Yes, for sure this isn't unplanned at all. The demand/supply ratio is always tricky to predict and with a limited production capacity, concentrating too much in one product as big as this one means leaving others undersupplied. Oversupply is costly if the demand doesn't meet, so it's better to undersupply, but not for a large margin, otherwise they may lose the window of people wanting to buy the product. But what's the demand of a secret set nobody had a chance to see? Any survey will give misleading results. So it's better to start with allocating a small slot in factories preparing the Christmas season for this risky set.

The general availability of the MF will be next October, so releasing the MF early with limited availability is a powerful marketing tool to let people talk about an "exclusive" item for weeks, a highlight of the Lego brand in news before Christmas, a way to reduce the chance of a big leak (it is easier to control a limited stock than a bigger one), a way to gauge the actual demand after seeing the product, and also a way to have less undersupplied stores later on the general release, as most people that wanted that thing badly soon will already have one, or will have one ordered. 

So many of those people will be out of the equation of the upcoming demand for the general release, which is always important for the brand, as it's their main profit market. TLG still has almost two weeks to ship this thing to early adopters before the general release so many of them will be well served in the end.

This seems quite planned  to me...

9 hours ago, Robianco said:

Anyone who reviews something they don't own with a low rating simply because they were unable to buy it is a special kind of idiot.

That is a bit harsh. I did not think about giving le MF a bad rating on the LEGO website before, but that is what I am going to do right now (I didn't get mine obviously...).

9 hours ago, Robianco said:

Anyone who reviews something they don't own with a low rating simply because they were unable to buy it is a special kind of idiot.

"Burnin' people with the truth!"

I agree. It speaks of an inability to cope with not being to own anything one wants at the time one wants it. Hopefully some of those reviews are written by kids, which would not be as bad...

6 minutes ago, legocharles said:

That is a bit harsh. I did not think about giving le MF a bad rating on the LEGO website before, but that is what I am going to do right now (I didn't get mine obviously...).

So you're going to place a review on something you don't own? A review that should show what you thought of the build, the quality of the design, the packaging and everything else involved? A review should not be about your experience of trying to buy something unsuccessfully. That's something entirely different. How old are you?

I don't think I was harsh... quite the opposite actually.

6 hours ago, dvogon said:

This seems quite planned  to me...

Well good luck if you ever go into busy, you will need it.

For a company that has reported lower sales and is making a significant number of employees redundant, the much needed sales that they are missing out for this and the Saturn V are very significant.

Yes the majority of obsessed Lego fans that really really want this set will wait and buy it eventually.

But for the more casual Lego fan, in the case Star Wars fans who are not as obsessed as us, with the money "burning in their pocket" they will spend it on something else (i.e. a Sideshow collectible)

Across a lot of social media I am surprised with how people are talking about buying the Lepin version of this.

There is certainly a balance of hype, not having oversupply or having undersupply but with this set and the Saturn V Lego has not got that balance.

We have seen with Lego's financial results that not everything is going according to plan, hopefully they can learn some lessons.

It's a crappy way to run a business. It gets harder to defend brand loyalty when they jerk you around. I saw this happen last year with the Nintendo nes classic and literally swore off Nintendo after it happened. I had one of those but I actually gave it away at Christmas to my brother in law. I'll never buy Nintendo brand products again.

I have to believe that Lego honestly underanticipated the set. If they really did sell over 10,000 units... that's a lot of MF to have on release day. If they pull a "Nintendo" and "cancel" the MFs production while it is still sold out... then I'll re-evaluate my stance. For now... give them time and breathe. I'm sure they'll be in stock again. Maybe not in the next few weeks (I'm sure it takes time to produce them)... but sometime soon.

7 hours ago, Robianco said:

So you're going to place a review on something you don't own? A review that should show what you thought of the build, the quality of the design, the packaging and everything else involved? A review should not be about your experience of trying to buy something unsuccessfully. That's something entirely different. How old are you?

I don't think I was harsh... quite the opposite actually.

Well indeed, the word review is inappropriate. You should not review something you have no experience with. A comment is what I have left, not a review for sure.

And stop discriminating people by their age. It has nothing to do with the validity of someone's comment. This is harsh too. (though I do not feel attacked by this harsh comment of yours since I am old enough to have bought the original 375-2 iconic yellow castle with my own money...)

Oh, and please, refrain from telling me not to post comments in the LEGO customer reviews section. That is someone else's job.

Edited by legocharles

16 hours ago, DEAD1974 said:

How long are usually the UCS sets on sale 5 years or more? So everyone who wants the MF will be able to buy it, sooner or later so wheres the problem ?

c27a25101d084d668632c060f5d152721811434f

8 hours ago, legocharles said:

Leave a comment on social media, or give your feedback to TLG. Don't use PRODUCT review/ratings to share your dissatisfaction with SERVICE or supply... that should be common-sense.

If you have the money for the next few months, you are going to get the falcon sooner or later. Patience is the virtue. And If you don't like what Lego is doing, solution is simple. Don't buy their product. And if many consumers do the same and Lego's profit drops, although I highly doubt this, Lego will learn and change. simple market economics and no need for all the drama.

Me on the other hand stayed up all night onthe 14th, struggled with the internet like everybody, and didn't get the falcon, but I am actually enjoying all this hype. This all will make my acquiring and building of falcon more satisfying.

Edited by jaydee0221

2 hours ago, legocharles said:

Well indeed, the word review is inappropriate. You should not review something you have no experience with. A comment is what I have left, not a review for sure.

.....comments in the LEGO customer reviews section.

Not telling you not to... But you acknowledge yourself it is a review section therefore your 'definitely not a review' comment shouldn't be left there, as someone who has not got the set... So why do you leave one there knowing you are doing wrong, when you are old enough to know this? 

8 hours ago, legocharles said:

And stop discriminating people by their age. It has nothing to do with the validity of someone's comment. This is harsh too. (though I do not feel attacked by this harsh comment of yours since I am old enough to have bought the original 375-2 iconic yellow castle with my own money...)

Oh, and please, refrain from telling me not to post comments in the LEGO customer reviews section. That is someone else's job.

You're right, it is someone else's job. Your own.

10 hours ago, legocharles said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Again...if you are frustrated with how things were handled on LEGO's end, then call their customer service and FILEA COMPLAINT!  Complaining on a website (Eurobricks), griping on Facebook, leaving a false review on LEGO's consumer site...these will not do anything.

And no name calling please, let's keep it civil.

Very much looking forward to picking up the new Falcon once it comes back into stock. I have no problem waiting for it, I'm sure Lego will be producing these sets for a while.  I did try to get the set on release day but sadly missed out, slightly miffed that Lego allowed each VIP member up to 3 units (on the UK site anyway), perhaps they should of limited that to one each, but then again cant imagine too many people buying multiples so probably wouldn't of helped much anyway.

But yes a must buy for me, from watching the reviews on youtube it looks a sensational set, certainly one to be displayed and certainly the center of attention in any home.  This is more like a fine piece of art, already have an idea to display this in a glass coffee table in the center of my living room.

But yes Cant wait to get it, it will be worth the wait, and perhaps I might be able to pick it up when there is double VIP points.

Just spoke to someone from the Lego Store in Germany. They are expecting some units this thursday, although they cant tell me for sure. I have to drive 2 hours to get there, and there might be a change there wont be any sets when the store opens. They also told me there will only be a very limited number of units for sale. 

He also told me the set wont come back in stores and online till AT LEAST januari 2018.... 

Something interesting to note is that in stores the Falcon is limited to one per household, atleast that's what the employees told me when I bought mine, they were asking customers if they lived together.

Well, I guess all the available MF have already been allocated and/or shipped. My order still says "Waiting for new stock"...has anyone in Canada managed to get one?

With this new MF... the UCS Slave 1 set seems to be a perfect companion basically at the same scale. Has anybody both?

Edited by dvogon

4 minutes ago, dvogon said:

With this new MF... the UCS Slave 1 set seems to be a perfect companion basically at the same scale. Has anybody both?

I have, but the Falcon is still sealed at the moment until I get the time to have a good go at it. I'm sure there are many others on this board who have, or will have, both.

34 minutes ago, dvogon said:

I don't own the 2nd Falcon yet (Backordered...), but as far as i know it is the same size as the old one. So here are some pictures i took for you.

According to this it looks like the scale is not the same. As far as i read, the MF is a little bigger than minifig scale. There is a lot of discussion about this, so don't kill me if I am wrong, I just don't care that much.

Hope this helps to answer your question.

EDIT: I just recognized that i am NOT in the MF thread, so I guess it would be better to switch into the other thread for such questions.

Sorry.

Edited by Duke_da_Nuke--3D