Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2017 Pictures and Rumors

4 hours ago, darththeling said:

There seems to be a general overestimation in here that the disposable income, even for AFOLs, is capable of absorbing a thousand dollar price tag shock. These Falcons are going to be on the shelves for years, folks. Take your time. 

Despite what the media likes to say, it's not a '1%' - rich people are everywhere. There's plenty on this board that spend a grand building some enourmous set they have designed and £/$600 - £/$700 is a few days pay for even a reasonably modest earner. 

Edited by DrasticPlastic

3 hours ago, DrasticPlastic said:

and £/$600 - £/$700 is a few days pay for even a reasonably modest earner. 

That may be true but dont forget that that reasonably modest earner has also got bills to pay out of those earnings.

If whatever number of MF sets Lego has produced sell in the first mnth or so do you think Lego will stop there? Nope. They will make a second batch. It would be absolutely dumb to stop producing a set just because the first batch sold in the first month.

Absolutely, any secondary market values are of no concern to Lego, so their goal is shift as many Falcons as possible, it makes no sense to alienate potential buyers by making a limited run. They want to make as many sets as people want.

11 hours ago, DrasticPlastic said:

and £/$600 - £/$700 is a few days pay for even a reasonably modest earner. 

Erm, a 'few days pay'? Not for me, it isn't, and I am 'a reasonably modest earner'.

I maintain that you'd have to be borderline insane to spend out £650 on a large box full of bricks on wheels. I'd personally like to thank Lego for pricing me out of the hobby with the new TLJ releases and this Falcon, although I wouldn't be surprised if Disney was actually behind the price of that UCS Falcon.  :devil:

Edited by Panthro

The price per part on the Falcon is not actually that bad, works out at about 8.5 pence per part in the UK, which puts it at the lower end of price per part in the Star Wars range as far as I can see (based on the sets in my Star Wars collection), and looking at my collection as a whole the average price per part is 7.6 pence (which is skewed down slightly by a few sets with lots of very small parts such as Big Ben), so it doesn't compare too badly even with non-Star Wars sets.

The Falcon also looks to contain a reasonable mix of large and small parts, obviously lots of small parts for the detailing but also lots of long technic beams and large panels for the main structure and hull.

12 hours ago, DrasticPlastic said:

Despite what the media likes to say, it's not a '1%' - rich people are everywhere. There's plenty on this board that spend a grand building some enourmous set they have designed and £/$600 - £/$700 is a few days pay for even a reasonably modest earner. 

I really don't want to pour gas on the big dumpster fire that is this price discussion, but this kind of thinking is just obnoxious. Just because you or I live in a country where that might be true, trust me, that's not the majority.

I come from Hungary, where most people don't even make this kind of money in a month. The people who can - and will - afford this set are obviously over-represented on this forum for the simple reason that it's pretty much dedicated to them. That doesn't mean there are tens of thousands who will buy it.

But that's ok. It's an insanely priced, but also insanely high quality, niche set, LEGO knows their collectors, and for the some who are longing for such set since years, it is a treat. 

LEGO has been getting more expensive every year, that is one of the reasons I will only buy 2 or 3 sets maximum every year. In the starting days of LEGO SW I would bent over backwards to get every set, but then I learned to collect memories not things. :wub:

I would rater spent a €1.000 traveling around. :sweet:

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 9:46 PM, Brickr said:

Cool, just out of interest, which is your local, mine is MK.

When I spoke to Milton Keynes last week the guy told me I would be better off ordering on line due to the amount of interest they had had unless I was planning to camp outside the shopping centre most of the night before

I don't think  £/$600 - £/$700 over a few days is a modest living haha...

What is that like already well over £100k a year? That's not modest. That's healthy. That's pretty darned good. :P

I've lived poor and I've lived pretty freakin' well off. If I think of what I would have thought when I was poorer... I would have probably thought the same thing when the first MF came out! "I WANT THIS SO BAD BUT I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MONIES!". Then I would have lived with it always longing for it... So yeah, I might not like it but I think I'd prefer it existed as a future goal of mine.

Now that I have money the only question is "How many do I buy?" Do I scalp some? Gotta have money to make money! :devil:

Many of us grew with Lego and at the time didn't have the option to get most sets. I recall wanting the 497 spaceship set, but it was too expensive for a single gift at the time. And my parents thought about Lego, let's say... meh! So no way.

Some years after I was able to build it myself with other sets pieces. I think this is one of the main points of Lego, being able to build a set you never were able to afford at the time and, of course, being able to modify any model to our own taste, which is something I usually do with the sets I buy, even for my children, as many times they are ok design wise, but playability lacks. Now with Bricklink it is even easier if there is enough spare money around.

I prefer building sets with my children than leaving them alone playing with a console, tablet or phone, they will spend too much time on those anyway. Building sets let them to use their brain in a different way: to use their hands property, to learn spacial geometry, which is not that trivial these days with so many different pieces and techniques to build at different angles, to learn the process of design with so many wrong steps in between, and to use their imagination beyond many other toys to build whatever they want, which is a very important learning to have. 

Ok, this is just my opinion, but seen this way €800 will give many diversion hours to all of us (aside of finding a place for it, of course, which is a tough point) and it isn't just spending 800 on a random set of plastic bricks.

For sure all of this is just an artificial excuse to buy the MF but... you know ;)

Edited by dvogon

There's currently 200+ people queuing in London for the Falcon.

With 5 hours to go.

There's a market for this stuff.

11 hours ago, Panthro said:

Erm, a 'few days pay'? Not for me, it isn't, and I am 'a reasonably modest earner'.

I maintain that you'd have to be borderline insane to spend out £650 on a large box full of bricks on wheels. I'd personally like to thank Lego for pricing me out of the hobby with the new TLJ releases and this Falcon, although I wouldn't be surprised if Disney was actually behind the price of that UCS Falcon.  :devil:

Median US household income is $60,000. Or >$200 per working day (mon-fri). A few days pay. 

2 hours ago, BrickG said:

I don't think  £/$600 - £/$700 over a few days is a modest living haha...

What is that like already well over £100k a year? That's not modest. That's healthy. That's pretty darned good. :P

Check the maths ;) It might not seem modest, but the stats say otherwise. A lot of people have 'Falcon money'!

Edited by DrasticPlastic

19 minutes ago, DrasticPlastic said:

With 5 hours to go.

Median US household income is $60,000. Or >$200 per working day (mon-fri). A few days pay. 

Check the maths ;) It might not seem modest, but the stats say otherwise. A lot of people have 'Falcon money'!

Unless some of those queuing are just there to keep someone else company there are going to be some disappointed people as they only have 150 sets.

Has anyone seen the notice on LEGO Shop?

"Early Access for VIPs starts from 7:30 am on 14th September"

so it seems there's no need to wait up until midnight tonight, Happy Days!

Good luck to our fearless brothers and sisters queuing up out in the cold around the world tonight ;)

Just now, Brickr said:

Has anyone seen the notice on LEGO Shop?

"Early Access for VIPs starts from 7:30 am on 14th September"

so it seems there's no need to wait up until midnight tonight, Happy Days!

Good luck to our fearless brothers and sisters queuing up out in the cold around the world tonight ;)

What timezone areally you in?

10 hours ago, brobert said:

I come from Hungary, where most people don't even make this kind of money in a month. The people who can - and will - afford this set are obviously over-represented on this forum for the simple reason that it's pretty much dedicated to them.

Spot on, mate! And same situation here, in Poland: you have to spend your average MONTHLY salary to get this UCS Falcon. By the way, it is some 100 pounds more expensive in Poland than in the UK.

I, for one, can't afford this beautiful set.

1 hour ago, DrasticPlastic said:

With 5 hours to go.

London has a population of 9million so that 200 figure tells you nothing.

That may be the median for the US but you need to calculate how much of that goes towards tax, rent/mortgage, food, kids, car, bills, etc, etc?

You need to lok beyond the stats instead of just swallowing them at face value.

2 minutes ago, legolandia said:

London has a population of 9million so that 200 figure tells you nothing.

That may be the median for the US but you need to calculate how much of that goes towards tax, rent/mortgage, food, kids, car, bills, etc, etc?

You need to lok beyond the stats instead of just swallowing them at face value.

The population of London doesn't really have to mean anything though, that's still a lot of people queuing for a midnight release of a Lego set...

It has been a few weeks since I've checked out EB Forums (busy with a move) but seriously why the H*** do the Mods chastise anyone who wishes/speculates (i.e., rumors) on an upcoming set(s) when there is no substantial evidence throughout the year but allow literally DAYS of blowing steam about lines of hopeful buyers sued up, when stores are opening, and how many units of the UCS MF each store will receive, let alone complaining about pricing, median household incomes, etc.

Mods: If this is the last set for 2017 (since Winter 2018 is next), lock this thread up or move these useless posts to a dedicated "We want to complain about the UCS MF" thread!

[/rant]

How anyone can claim the new MF is too expensive is beyond me.  True, there will be sections of society unable to afford this but equally there will be sections of society who can comfortably afford this and a middle ground of those willing to push the boat out or not.  The high street is full of expensive items that appeal to certain audiences, including at the ridiculous end multi million pound cars at huge premiums yet they all sell out before production is even finished with so much demand that even manufacturers like Ferrari will elect to choose who can buy their cars.  

I simply cannot see any way anybody could claim its too expensive as a statement of fact, everyone's opinion on price is purely personal as to whether you think its worth it.  Dont forget this set will appeal to a huge amount of people who got into Star Wars over the past 20,30,40 years and are now in position with disposable income and I dont think Lego will lose one night's sleep about this selling well.  Put it this way, who expects to see second hand sets on ebay at any kind of discount?

1 hour ago, Bolingbroke said:

Yeah. As someone has already suggested, probably those who still live with their mother.

Nominated for post of the month year!

10 minutes ago, momoe said:

It has been a few weeks since I've checked out EB Forums (busy with a move) but seriously why the H*** do the Mods chastise anyone who wishes/speculates (i.e., rumors) on an upcoming set(s) when there is no substantial evidence throughout the year but allow literally DAYS of blowing steam about lines of hopeful buyers sued up, when stores are opening, and how many units of the UCS MF each store will receive, let alone complaining about pricing, median household incomes, etc.

Mods: If this is the last set for 2017 (since Winter 2018 is next), lock this thread up or move these useless posts to a dedicated "We want to complain about the UCS MF" thread!

[/rant]

+1

Exactly.

Just now, Starbug said:

How anyone can claim the new MF is too expensive is beyond me. 

800 for a LEGO set... bargain.

Lookng at the price/piece ration the price is 'normal' but come on: 800 for a toy? Yeah, that's expensive, no matter how great/big/detailed it is.

Edited by Jedi-Bendu

Just now, Jedi-Bendu said:

800 for a LEGO set... bargain.

Lookng at the price/piece ration the price is 'normal' but come on: 800 for a toy? Yeah, that's expensive, no matter how great/big/detailed it is.

Yes its expensive, but not "too expensive" which implies a huge error on the part of TLG and given the prestige involved would endanger their business yet I see no-one suggesting that.  I personally wouldn't describe it as a toy, is this really marketed as a play item for kids?  For me its a special Star Wars collectable and that market is huge let alone the Lego market.  So long as you can afford it, its basically a no brainer as it'll be worth more in years to come so its very easy to consider this an investment, a collectable, fantastic show piece, feat of engineering, and a work of art but describing this as a toy is way down my list.

22 minutes ago, Starbug said:

How anyone can claim the new MF is too expensive is beyond me.  True, there will be sections of society unable to afford this but equally there will be sections of society who can comfortably afford this and a middle ground of those willing to push the boat out or not.  The high street is full of expensive items that appeal to certain audiences, including at the ridiculous end multi million pound cars at huge premiums yet they all sell out before production is even finished with so much demand that even manufacturers like Ferrari will elect to choose who can buy their cars.  

I simply cannot see any way anybody could claim its too expensive as a statement of fact, everyone's opinion on price is purely personal as to whether you think its worth it.  Dont forget this set will appeal to a huge amount of people who got into Star Wars over the past 20,30,40 years and are now in position with disposable income and I dont think Lego will lose one night's sleep about this selling well.  Put it this way, who expects to see second hand sets on ebay at any kind of discount?

Super cars are an extreme example but I agree with your point. Millions of people around the world queue at Apple stores to spend a similar amount for the latest IPhone/IPad for example. Although they would clearly use this more it will be pretty much worthless in 5 years time. 

Hardcore Lego fans will find the money for this. Although I can afford this and it and would love to build it I'm never going to get it approved by the wife though! 

Just now, Super Hans said:

Super cars are an extreme example but I agree with your point. Millions of people around the world queue at Apple stores to spend a similar amount for the latest IPhone/IPad for example. Although they would clearly use this more it will be pretty much worthless in 5 years time. 

Hardcore Lego fans will find the money for this. Although I can afford this and it and would love to build it I'm never going to get it approved by the wife though! 

I agree with this. I own about 6 sets over £150, only 3 over £200, and have never ventured into Star Wars UCS before, and am a student, but even I've scraped together the money for this tomorrow because it is, as people have said, a collectors item.

however I can also see how it's expensive. This isn't amskmthing that should be argued about guys, it's really personal opinion based on many different things, for me it's expensive but worth it, for others inexpensive, for others too expensive.

lets just all chill out and wait until we can start talking about the set when people have it in hand, hopefully including myself!