Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2017 Pictures and Rumors

Long time reader, but my first post on the forums. Been waiting for another Falcon for 10 years after I missed out on the last one.

I am from Melbourne, Australia, so was just wondering how I can by the Falcon at release, rather than waiting for months for it to show up in stores here. Any other Aussies mind helping me out?

Because the set will be around 7500 pieces I am going to look at different sets that were released this year and multiply the piece count with a number and a decimal in it like Lego has been doing. Not sure if the mext tease may be about number of pieces or number of bags though.

23 minutes ago, Cab said:

Long time reader, but my first post on the forums. Been waiting for another Falcon for 10 years after I missed out on the last one.

I am from Melbourne, Australia, so was just wondering how I can by the Falcon at release, rather than waiting for months for it to show up in stores here. Any other Aussies mind helping me out?

The Lego online store. Free shipping on orders over $200 AUD. It will be available for VIP customers mid Sept. according to the Sept. official Lego calendar and probably Oct 1 for general release (assuming the rumours are correct). That will be the best way. It's possible that the Lego Discovery centre at Chadstone shopping centre will stock them on release too but I wouldn't want to roll the dice on that one.

Edited by Markalus

Since we are discussing about the VIP Release, has anyone ever went to a Lego Store the first day VIP Access came out for a set and they had none in store? I went the first day to pick up the VW Beetle for everyone and they had none in stock. I am a little bit worried if my Lego Store won't have any in stock on the first VIP Day. I may have to wait a couple hours before the store opens.

13 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

496  pages, fair amount more than the death star. Still positive 'it just won't happen'?

Pretty confident, yeah.  Since when does Lego adopt a business model of making less money? 

Snowspeeder:  11.7 cents per piece.  Death Star:  12.5 cents per piece.  Assault on Hoth:  11.6 cents per piece.  Tie Fighter:  11.8 cents per piece.

Average cents per piece for previous four UCS sets:  11.9.  $800@11.9 = 6,722. 

Now I could certainly be wrong, and they could certainly bolster the piece count with small greebles (like the SSD) but why on earth would Lego pick the most adult-forum-hyped collector set ever, to suddenly buck the price trend?  The furor over this is ridiculous, they're teasing the set like they've never done before, the previous best selling large set (Death Star) just got released with a massive price hike, and yet we're suddenly going to get the best deal ever?  Call me a pessimist, but I think people's expectations are unrealistic at this point.   

Edited by Schneeds

1 hour ago, Cab said:

1 hour ago, Markalus said:

The Lego online store. Free shipping on orders over $200 AUD. It will be available for VIP customers mid Sept. according to the Sept. official Lego calendar and probably Oct 1 for general release (assuming the rumours are correct). That will be the best way. It's possible that the Lego Discovery centre at Chadstone shopping centre will stock them on release too but I wouldn't want to roll the dice on that one.

+1 to shop.lego.com. Really the only way to get sets like this without waiting for them to maybe show up in Myer or Toys R Us. Plus, through s@h you can get VIP points and special polybag promos which you can't get elsewhere in Aus.

58 minutes ago, Schneeds said:

Pretty confident, yeah.  Since when does Lego adopt a business model of making less money? 

Snowspeeder:  11.7 cents per piece.  Death Star:  12.5 cents per piece.  Assault on Hoth:  11.6 cents per piece.  Tie Fighter:  11.8 cents per piece.

Average cents per piece for previous four UCS sets:  11.9.  $800@11.9 = 6,722. 

Now I could certainly be wrong, and they could certainly bolster the piece count with small greebles (like the SSD) but why on earth would Lego pick the most adult-forum-hyped collector set ever, to suddenly buck the price trend?  The furor over this is ridiculous, they're teasing the set like they've never done before, the previous best selling large set (Death Star) just got released with a massive price hike, and yet we're suddenly going to get the best deal ever?  Call me a pessimist, but I think people's expectations are unrealistic at this point.   

Slave 1,  10 cents per piece. But you knew that wouldn't suit your argument so you missed it out.  Before that, sandcrawler, 9.1cents a piece!!! And before that?  Ewok village at 12.9  cents a piece. They can drop the price when they want to, and raise it also when they want to. If you're going to average it out, do it consistently or not at all. Ewok village was a few years back yet has just 2 minifigs less than assault on hoth  (15/17), one of the modern ones, and yet assault on hoth has more parts as well, yet is cheaper? You can't shut something down as not happening simply by averages when Lego doesn't always play by averages. Yet they have proven it *is not*  out of reach as a possibility by any stretch.

Considering the US price has been shown to be $799, and the parts count is estimated to  be 7500ish (7000-8000, but i believe closer to 7000, maybe even very high 6000's), then it is entirely reasonable. They would quite easily do this because for such a large set, they still have to make it look worth it as the price will be a HUGE factor for a LOT of people, as clearly displayed in this thread.

$800\7000 =11.4 cents a piece. Easily achievable given your average you said. 

Death Star is clearly a proven seller, as shown by its time being sold. It also had a revamp with some extra pieces and new fig prints to justify a price boost. It still comes in at a respectable and relatively low 12.5 cents. 

You're acting like it's impossible. But your figures if anything, show it can be possible (especially when you decide to factor in the slave 1).

Might I also add, if they didn't adopt a business model of making less money at times, then there would not be a fluctuation in price per piece, they'd simply just keep the price the same or up it. They know when to put value ahead of price. That's why the old death Star was 8 years for the same price while other prices were fluctuating/inflation taking a steady pace. 

They are also likely able to keep the cost down I imagine due to hardly any exclusive moulds. Even the potential new cockpit piece has been made and used elsewhere under their own licence. Free to use as they like. Where else would require new moulds given the  vast amount of new pieces already available since the last iteration? 

That there is how they can freely choose to keep the cost down and make it look enticing for value (regardless of the hype behind it). It'll make people think 'oh hell, even at that price, it's pretty good value, I'm not going to be getting ripped off, I'm in for one!'... 

Edited by Fuppylodders
Added in sandcrawler amd ewok village.

I said they could add a lot of small greebles to boost up the price count.  So what?  The original point of this, was that a lot of people seem to think this is going to an ultra detailed model with an interior to match it and it's not going to happen for this piece count, as well as other reasons.  I'll be happy to be wrong. 

Also, this isn't a time they need to adopt a model of making less money, hence the trend of upward prices.  Lego has never been bigger than it is right now.   

44 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

Slave 1,  10 cents per piece. But you knew that wouldn't suit your argument so you missed it out.  Before that, sandcrawler, 9.1cents a piece!!! And before that?  Ewok village at 12.9  cents a piece. They can drop the price when they want to, and raise it also when they want to.

Fair enough, but these are the older UCS sets, since then, they got progressively more expensive, except for the snowspeeder. It's not entirely impossible though that they kept the price of that at bay, so the Falcon can get more expensive again. I think they know how far they can push it, and I bet they will, because for all the people who have been waiting for this set, price will be secondary.

1 hour ago, Crzypengu said:

Since we are discussing about the VIP Release, has anyone ever went to a Lego Store the first day VIP Access came out for a set and they had none in store? I went the first day to pick up the VW Beetle for everyone and they had none in stock. I am a little bit worried if my Lego Store won't have any in stock on the first VIP Day. I may have to wait a couple hours before the store opens.

The most annoying thing about early VIP release was to me that the Saturn V e.g. was not even announced earlier to VIP-s, and they started selling them on S@H half a day early. Obviously, by the time I got to it on release day, it was already backordered. I know this will be probably available to VIP-s earlier but the S@H site is still a mess, it's sure to break down on release day if the demand will really be that high...

50 minutes ago, brobert said:

Fair enough, but these are the older UCS sets, since then, they got progressively more expensive, except for the snowspeeder. It's not entirely impossible though that they kept the price of that at bay, so the Falcon can get more expensive again. I think they know how far they can push it, and I bet they will, because for all the people who have been waiting for this set, price will be secondary.

The most annoying thing about early VIP release was to me that the Saturn V e.g. was not even announced earlier to VIP-s, and they started selling them on S@H half a day early. Obviously, by the time I got to it on release day, it was already backordered. I know this will be probably available to VIP-s earlier but the S@H site is still a mess, it's sure to break down on release day if the demand will really be that high...

You make a good point, I guess the best thing for me to do is ask the Lego store by me if they got any Millennium Falcons in stock before the VIP Release date, so maybe a couple days or a week in advance. I know the set is expensive, but that also doesn't mean that it won't be sold out on the first day.

Price per piece is a horrible indicator of value. This set could be anywhere between 6500-8500 pieces and still fall in the range as mentioned above. What we would be better off looking at is the weights of the boxes, but I doubt anyone would be able to figure out the distribution of large/small parts. Either way, this set is probably going to crack the 6k benchmark and end up being the largest set of all time, isn't that enough? :laugh:

4 hours ago, Cab said:

Glad to see another Aussie here!

I live in Sydney but I know that there is a Legoland Discovery Centre (it was still being installed when I was there) in Chadstone Shopping Centre, Melbourne. There is a lego store there and I assume they would have the Falcon on release. I would suggest contacting Jay from http://jaysbrickblog.com/ as he lives in Melbourne!

Hope this helps!     :)

Does it really matter if the price per piece of the (still rumoured) UCS Falcon is $0.10, $0.12 or $0.15? What's clear is that whatever it is it's going to be the largest Lego set ever. Just based on the sheer volume of that teased box alone the freight costs would be huge, particularly if you factor in "free" shipping to the consumer. Surely that has to be factored into the rrp?

58 minutes ago, Markalus said:

Does it really matter if the price per piece of the (still rumoured) UCS Falcon is $0.10, $0.12 or $0.15? What's clear is that whatever it is it's going to be the largest Lego set ever. Just based on the sheer volume of that teased box alone the freight costs would be huge, particularly if you factor in "free" shipping to the consumer. Surely that has to be factored into the rrp?

That is also a fair point. But I have no doubts since the last teaser image that it will be a Falcon. "Search your feelings. You know it to be true."

7 hours ago, Cab said:

Get it from Lego's website referred to as S@H (shop at home). The last one was $775 at retail.  

2 hours ago, JACKATTACKS said:

Glad to see another Aussie here!

I live in Sydney but I know that there is a Legoland Discovery Centre (it was still being installed when I was there) in Chadstone Shopping Centre, Melbourne. There is a lego store there and I assume they would have the Falcon on release. I would suggest contacting Jay from http://jaysbrickblog.com/ as he lives in Melbourne!

Hope this helps!     :)

Its run by a company that is licensed by lego. Not directly Lego, its close to me. They get exclusives not too sure they'd get this one though

3 hours ago, shotgunmcos said:

LEGO Carousel 2,685 pcs x 2.56 = 6835.2

What LEGO Carousel has 2,685 pieces? Doesn't 10257 have 2,670?

Edit: Moreover, the Carousel comparison in LEGO's tease is clearly referring to the difference in size / page count between the instruction books, not between the piece counts. I think we'll have to wait until next week or possibly the week after that to get the piece count comparison. :wink:

8 hours ago, Cab said:

Hi, Cab! I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your query, not being Aussie myself, but I wanted to welcome you to the forums. Welcome aboard!

Edited by Blondie-Wan

1 hour ago, Darth Malgus said:

Get it from Lego's website referred to as S@H (shop at home). The last one was $775 at retail.  

Really? I was 100% positive that it was $980 retail but just went on sale that often that it was never at that price. Hopefully the new one is less than $1400 AUD (still a good deal compared to the prices of the last one).

9 hours ago, Darth Malgus said:

Would crack me up if it wasn't the falcon and in fact another ISD ?

"LEGO is proud to present an iconic 7,500pc set that will delight adults and children alike, a life size bust of JAR JAR BINKS" *fanfare*

*Sound of people killing themselves*

22 minutes ago, bobasdad said:

Have we seen this set before?

<snip>

Yes. It was leaked a month ago.

3 hours ago, Markalus said:

No that doesn't nor shouldn't be factored into the rrp at all. What about the people that buy it from the shop? Lego likely has some sort of deal with a shipping company which makes it cheap for them to ship due to the shear amount of products they ship. Most large manufacturing/product selling companies have some sort of contract with shipping companies so no, shipping doesn't get taken into account in rrp  as half the time the customer pays anyway. 

Just popping this here in case anyone wants to look. I was bored and thinking about how much the Falcon could cost in AUD (and even though I'm usually against price per part ratio I used it anyway) so I did up a spreadsheet that I think gives us a good look at what the possible piece count could be. I've worked this out based on the average of 11 high end licensed system sets' price per piece ratio in both AUD and USD and used the maximum and minimum to exclude some data. 

If the set does not stray from the average price per part, the set will most likely be 7500-7600 parts and will be $1200-$1300 AUD. If not, based on the data I can say it will almost certainly be above 6200 pieces and can't be more than $1300 AUD.

Here's the workbook on google docs

1 hour ago, Brikkyy13 said:

If the set does not stray from the average price per part, the set will most likely be 7500-7600 parts and will be $1200-$1300 AUD. If not, based on the data I can say it will almost certainly be above 6200 pieces and can't be more than $1300 AUD.

Here's the workbook on google docs

If $800 USD results in $1,300 AUD price, that would be appalling

On current exchange rate $800 USD is roughly $1,000 AUD

It should be $1,000 but given the pricing of Star Wars sets in Australia, maybe $1,100

Edited by AussieSamurai