LEGO Star Wars 2017 Pictures and Rumors

On July 7, 2017 at 1:43 PM, Sir von Lego said:

75198 Tatoine Battle Pack

75199 General Grievous Combat Speeder

75533 Boba Fett

75534 Darth Vader

75208 Yodas Hut

*huh*  *huh*  *huh*

Is my dream is finally coming to fruition? Years ago EB had a Battlepack contest and my entry was a Tatooine Battlepack. A cheap set with General Grievous, my favorite prequel character? What is happening, is Lego just reading my wishlist now? 

Someone a page or two back mentioned this is TLG's alternative for doing a SW Collectible Minifigure Line, I couldn't agree more! 

Edited by Forresto

Yodas Hut sounds great! Maybe TLG saw our responses when we thought we were getting a Yodas Hut this year. The rest of he sets sound bland to me though. 

The Jedi battle pack could go down the same path as the most recent rebel battle pack, in which the figures were designed and based off existing characters from rogue one, but they were unnamed. I'm hoping that with the Jedi pack, they would have a named character (Coleman Trebor) and have 3 other unnamed Jedi that bear striking resemblances to the movie Jedi. In my opinion, that would just be another way to make the battle pack more interesting

I think @Borex was the first to suggest a series of character packs in the battle pack mould that he pitched years ago. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

3 hours ago, d-delay said:

I think @Borex was the first to suggest a series of character packs in the battle pack mould that he pitched years ago. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Well i don't know if i was the first (i think we all like to dream about character based battle packs, the moment we get into sw lego) but i did try to pitch such a series back in the cuusoo days :-)

I found the link to them:

Funny enough we got the ree-yees,  nikto, teeboo, poggle and a hammerhead not very long after that, so i'd like to think that they got inspired by these drawings lol :laugh: 

Edited by Borex

The Battle Packs sound excellent, and with Lego's focus shifting towards the ST and Anthology Films it allows us to get characters we wouldn't usually see in any regular sets.

3 hours ago, Borex said:

Well i don't know if i was the first (i think we all like to dream about character based battle packs, the moment we get into sw lego) but i did try to pitch such a series back in the cuusoo days :-)

I found the link to them:

Funny enough we got the ree-yees,  nikto, teeboo, poggle and a hammerhead not very long after that, so i'd like to think that they got inspired by these drawings lol :laugh: 

That Cantina looks like the one released in 2014. It would be cool if your moc inspired them.

9 hours ago, d-delay said:

Lego did it themselves back in 2000 with 3340, 3341, 3342, and 3343.

Really liking the direct of the new battle packs but if 75198 Tatooine battle pack does contain 2 Jawas, it will be a case of Lego getting so close but not quite getting it. Exchange one of the Jawas for a Sand trooper and it will sell more packs as that figure is amazing. Jawas can't be that big of a draw in a battlepack as I somehow have 7/8 of them just from the last few years and I wasn't going out my way to collect them.

As for the astromech droid, please let it be anything else but R2.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the Yoda minifig.  It's a tough figure to get right, and would be much more suited to a molded body than a standard minifig.  The previous versions, in my opinion, are pretty bad.

The Tatooine battle pack...two jawas and an astro? Those are figures that you throw in as an extra incentive to buy a set but not the figures you buy the set for.

Wow...My hopes skyrocketed and plummeted just as quickly. This has been a rollercoaster ride of emotions. 

Edited by Forresto

46 minutes ago, Forresto said:

The Tatooine battle pack...two jawas and an astro? Those are figures that you throw in as an extra incentive to buy a set but not the figures you buy the set for.

Wow...My hopes skyrocketed and plummeted just as quickly. This has been a rollercoaster ride of emotions. 

Well I don't know about you, but I'm super glad to have something other than troopers from various factions. We have had more than our fill of those characters and I for one am glad not to have more storm/clone troopers. Perhaps it's the pacifist inside me haha, but I kinda welcome a set with a different theme and it looks like we're getting it! I doubt the Astromech will be R2, it'll probably be an unnamed droid or R5-D4. Just speculation though, I don't have any insider info.

1 hour ago, TheRealDickDastardly said:

Well I don't know about you, but I'm super glad to have something other than troopers from various factions. We have had more than our fill of those characters and I for one am glad not to have more storm/clone troopers. Perhaps it's the pacifist inside me haha, but I kinda welcome a set with a different theme and it looks like we're getting it! I doubt the Astromech will be R2, it'll probably be an unnamed droid or R5-D4. Just speculation though, I don't have any insider info.

Oh don't get me wrong I love having troopers from various factions and generic figures. Its just those generic figures in particular. What can you do with a million jawas? Jawas are already very cheap to build up in large numbers and sand people are sort've as well. 

My point is with the multitudes of interesting characters we've had on Tatooine, why not give us ones we've never had before or have only been in expensive sets?

Give me Momaw Nadon and Bith those molds already exist. Heck the Duros in the Cantina would be super easy to do. Just reprint the face from the battlefront battle pack on a turquoise colored head with a spaceman body print and bam new figure without any need of a mold. I guess what i'm really trying to say is give us Tatooine unique figures that can be repurposed elsewhere because those aliens or types show up all over the SW galaxy. 

Edited by Forresto

R2 will be in Yoda's Hut. He can't also be in the Jawa battlepack. Or can he? Are there precedents to the same named character appearing in more sets from the same wave?

Just now, Bolingbroke said:

R2 will be in Yoda's Hut. He can't also be in the Jawa battlepack. Or can he? Are there precedents to the same named character appearing in more sets from the same wave?

I think there is with R2-D2, but that would be insane if they put him in a battle pack. Perhaps TLG has a surplus of the figure and they need to get rid of them so they're just throwing them in every set they can.

8 minutes ago, Forresto said:

I think there is with R2-D2, but that would be insane if they put him in a battle pack. Perhaps TLG has a surplus of the figure and they need to get rid of them so they're just throwing them in every set they can.

I really doubt it. I honestly don't think the battlepack will have R2, even if it is a somewhat common figure. I think TLG will have R2 in Yoda's hut and a different droid in the battlepack. TLG are doing a good job of making all the figures from 2014's more expensive Tatooine sets available to everyone (Escape Pod, Landspeeder and now this battlepack) for a fraction of the cost of the Sandcrawler and Mos Eisley Cantina, so it's most likely one of the other droids.

Like I said in my earlier post, my money is on R5-D4.

Edited by TheRealDickDastardly

5 minutes ago, TheRealDickDastardly said:

I really doubt it. I honestly don't think the battlepack will have R2, even if it is a somewhat common figure. I think TLG will have R2 in Yoda's hut and a different droid in the battlepack. TLG are doing a good job of making all the figures from 2014's more expensive Tatooine sets available to everyone (Escape Pod, Landspeeder and now this battlepack) for a fraction of the cost of the Sandcrawler and Mos Eisley Cantina, so it's most likely one of the other droids.

Like I said in my earlier post, my money is on R5-D4.

If they do an astromech I could settle for an R5 series model. The conical heads are underrepresented. 

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:37 PM, Sir von Lego said:

It is an Astro mech, but not R2. And a vehicle.

SVL has already said that the astromech in the battle pack won't be R2.

On 8 juli 2017 at 2:54 AM, Stash2Sixx said:

No need to sir me, I work for a living!

stash2sixx, wouldn't it be a good idea to start with the 2018 thread now? Feels like that's the only rumor circulating right now in this group

1 hour ago, Forresto said:

Thanks to the stingy budget of ANH they could do a large number of Astromechs that pulled double duty as Yavin IV rebel astromechs and Mos Eisley (or even Tantive IV and Death Star) deco. The UCS Sandcrawler already included a white R2 with green stripes that originally only was in Mos Eisley. Other Mos Eisley droids are a white R2 with red dome and white head panels, a full body red R5 and orange R5. And these are just the ones that I found in my Wookiepedia and Rebelscum aided research of the topic a couple months ago. Presumably there were 12 astromechs made for at least one full X-Wing squadron but current information does not match up with that number. 

Though I would rather have had a Battlepack with two Tuskens or even 4 Tuskens, all with different printing for different robes, maybe even with capes because they look kinda dumb without. But then again I hate those actionfigure heads.

Really wonder how many Battlepacks are coming this year. Unless they double the count again from 4 to 8 they will definitely see a drop in sales like back when they changed it from 4 figures of one side to two of two sides each. 

1 hour ago, Sneakguest said:

stash2sixx, wouldn't it be a good idea to start with the 2018 thread now? Feels like that's the only rumor circulating right now in this group

Waiting on another member's response to a pm before I drop 2018 threads.  Thanks.

Thank you very much for this information, Sir von Lego! :classic:

A Tatooine BP with two Jawas, a Tusken Raider and an astromech sounds interesting. I'm only curious about what it'll contain otherwise. Maybe one of those big animals? That we will get a Yoda's Hut with a skin colored Luke and the first OT Yoda with detailed head is great! :thumbup:

Honestly I really dislike idea of Jawa/tuskens BP since there's no need to army build either. Both minifigures came out in cheap sets recently, so why put the, in BP?