Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2017 Pictures and Rumors

On 5/11/2017 at 6:54 AM, brobert said:

Unsubstantiated rumors definitely don't belong here... just wait until Stash wanders around :laugh:

The title of this thread is "LEGO Star Wars 2017 Pictures and Rumors". Rumors are, by definition, unsubstantiated. Once they're substantiated, rumors become facts. I'm not a moderator and I don't think it's our job to police others' posts, but I'd guess that badgerboy's post is more relevant than 99% of the posts made in this thread. 

Edited by jdubbs
Deleted stuff that wasn't accurate.

Just now, jdubbs said:

The title of this thread is "LEGO Star Wars 2017 Pictures and Rumors". Rumors are, by definition, unsubstantiated. Once they're substantiated, rumors become facts. I'm not a moderator and I don't think it's our job to police others' posts, but I'd guess that badgerboy's post is more relevant than 99% of the posts made in this thread. 

Yes, rumors, but we've seen in the not so far away past that once these take off, there's no stopping them and some people just recycle them without any additional info. And that - understandably, the mods don't like. I don't want to police either but let's practice some self-moderation on ourselves so Stash doesn't have to :)

20 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

LEGO clearly has a license to market individually-packaged buildable minifigs as they do this twice a year via promotional polybags (which are then sold at Target, etc. after the promotional period ends). Not to mention their larger line of buildable Star Wars figures. LEGO has likely chosen not to market a full CMF Star Wars line thus far for other reasons... e.g. to avoid cannibalizing sales of larger sets, because they didn't perceive demand for them, etc.

What makes you say they clearly have the license to make Star Wars ones? You haven't read the contracts. Star Wars could have sold those exclusive rights to other companies or those other companies sub-contracted them to others. Or perhaps there's specifically clauses which prevent Lego from doing this (and trust me, it's not 100 up to Lego). You don't know the contracts and can't possibly know. If Lego says they can't do it, that probably means they contractually can't until new contracts are written...

28 minutes ago, BrickG said:

What makes you say they clearly have the license to make Star Wars ones? You haven't read the contracts. Star Wars could have sold those exclusive rights to other companies or those other companies sub-contracted them to others. Or perhaps there's specifically clauses which prevent Lego from doing this (and trust me, it's not 100 up to Lego). You don't know the contracts and can't possibly know. If Lego says they can't do it, that probably means they contractually can't until new contracts are written...

I said LEGO must have a license to market individually-packaged SW minifigs because they are already marketing, and selling, individually-packaged SW minifigs. The red A-Wing Pilot, R3 droid, First Order Officer, etc. are all individually-packaged minifigs, sold outside of a battle pack or larger set. (And yes, they are sold at retail stores... there was a rack of A-Wing Pilots at my local Target a month ago, on sale for $5 a pop, and I've seen others sold at TRU in the past as well).

To my knowledge, LEGO has not stated they can't do a CMF SW line because of a Hasbro contract. But if I'm wrong, I stand corrected. 

19 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Nice! Was the Booster ring set there? 

Nope, not that I saw.

5 hours ago, LOBOT-OMY said:

LOL !!!! :laugh:

I see no easter eggs regarding a UCS MF in the vid above. However, if you look directly above the stormtrooper helmet at about 1 or 2 seconds in, there is a Tie Advanced on a UCS stand with plaque.  Is that something new or an old set? 

That is Darth Vaders TIE Fighter and is a set from 2006

A Star Wars CMF series? That would be interesting. My guess is that we'd get some more obscure characters out of that one, but I imagine the price would be jacked up a bit though :/

3 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Don't make me change the title of this thread! We allow rumors in this thread, but they must be substantiated rumors. Otherwise they are just conjecture and wishful thinking. badgerboy's post did contain some substantiated information so you are correct in saying his post better belonged here than most. However, it's not your job to mini-MOD so please don't anymore. Being a mini-MOD is my job.

For everyone! We have now killed the relevant discussion on a possible SW CMF line. If you want to talk about it more, go here to the original place the rumor started. You'll find that there is just as much evidence against the SW CMF as for it. All helpful things that can be said at this moment have been said. So please don't bring it up again unless you have more substantiated information.

This is your only warning.

2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

I said LEGO must have a license to market individually-packaged SW minifigs because they are already marketing, and selling, individually-packaged SW minifigs. The red A-Wing Pilot, R3 droid, First Order Officer, etc. are all individually-packaged minifigs, sold outside of a battle pack or larger set. (And yes, they are sold at retail stores... there was a rack of A-Wing Pilots at my local Target a month ago, on sale for $5 a pop, and I've seen others sold at TRU in the past as well).

To my knowledge, LEGO has not stated they can't do a CMF SW line because of a Hasbro contract. But if I'm wrong, I stand corrected. 

That doesn't mean that they can sell them in the same style. Those special minifigure deals haven't been sold individually and the ones that have come with a bit of something to build besides the minifigure.

As far as I'm aware they (at last check) can't sell individual CMF SW stuff because it's not really a build. But if they had a tiny set where you had to actually build something WITH the figure (as they often do with promotional things) then they're allowed, but obviously that wouldn't be CMF. Also any packs "sold" as a bonus doesn't count as individually selling them and is obviously contractually allowed.

Blablabla I've worked in Merchandising a bit. The contracts are VERY VERY SPECIFIC. If they didn't SPECIFICALLY negotiate for the ability to make a SW CMF line they wouldn't be able. It's as simple as that in most cases. None of the other stuff they sell can actually be compared to the CMF lines.

It's contracts though. Just make zero assumptions. Contracts are basically incredibly dumb, often incredibly limiting and you never know what's in them unless they're made public. There's nothing "obvious" about the contract status. They either have it or they don't. Last time they made an official comment they said they don't. And everything they've done since means hack squat for whether or not they currently have the ability to do it. It means absolutely nothing either way. 

Really hoping the interior is in this. I own a 10179 and it would be really nice to have that millennium falcon right next to the new one with interior showing 

21 minutes ago, BrickG said:

That doesn't mean that they can sell them in the same style. Those special minifigure deals haven't been sold individually and the ones that have come with a bit of something to build besides the minifigure.

As far as I'm aware they (at last check) can't sell individual CMF SW stuff because it's not really a build. But if they had a tiny set where you had to actually build something WITH the figure (as they often do with promotional things) then they're allowed, but obviously that wouldn't be CMF. Also any packs "sold" as a bonus doesn't count as individually selling them and is obviously contractually allowed.

Blablabla I've worked in Merchandising a bit. The contracts are VERY VERY SPECIFIC. If they didn't SPECIFICALLY negotiate for the ability to make a SW CMF line they wouldn't be able. It's as simple as that in most cases. None of the other stuff they sell can actually be compared to the CMF lines.

It's contracts though. Just make zero assumptions. Contracts are basically incredibly dumb, often incredibly limiting and you never know what's in them unless they're made public. There's nothing "obvious" about the contract status. They either have it or they don't. Last time they made an official comment they said they don't. And everything they've done since means hack squat for whether or not they currently have the ability to do it. It means absolutely nothing either way. 

Please just stop. This is no longer relevant to anything here. You are entitled to your beliefs and interpretations of facts, I am entitled to mine. I don't want to argue with you on this any more.

3 re-releases in a row, well the snowspeeder is a rework, but as someone who hadn't had the chance to get these amazing sets, I'm happy. My guess is that the Star Destroyer is the next re-release(maybe september 2019 as someone said?), as the Lepin clone is sold out in GearBest. All that Lepin hype made Lego do a new strategy and I'm happy about it.

Edited by ltzik

5 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Yes, LEGO's Senior Art Director confirmed this during the LEGO Star Wars panel at Star Wars Celebration this year. He specifically mentioned they can't do a SW CMF line because they would be considered standalone action figures which Hasbro owns the license for. It's asked in the Q&A at the end of the panel.

7 hours ago, brobert said:

Just to clarify, I didn't mean to condescend or anything, I just ran into this myself and got some on my face for even bringing this up :D as you read then...and for reading through every page, I honestly salute you, I wouldn't be able to do that :classic:

No offence taken :sweet:. Yeah, took me a while to sift through it but was eager to catch up on stuff - not long out of the dark ages!

9 minutes ago, neueruse said:

Yes, LEGO's Senior Art Director confirmed this during the LEGO Star Wars panel at Star Wars Celebration this year. He specifically mentioned they can't do a SW CMF line because they would be considered standalone action figures which Hasbro owns the license for. It's asked in the Q&A at the end of the panel.

There you go! I stand corrected.

22 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Please just stop. This is no longer relevant to anything here. You are entitled to your beliefs and interpretations of facts, I am entitled to mine. I don't want to argue with you on this any more.

No, you stop.

20 hours ago, neueruse said:

You also, knock it off!

Remember, when you post something stupid or extremely off topic in here...all of the people that are following this thread have to read it as it pops up in their feed.  I'm sorry to all of the followers of this thread as I have just posted as well!  However, so you are all aware, this will change with the next year's news posts...and I'm pretty sure a few of the members that are unable to follow the rules or follow directions will not be around here much longer.  So please, focus on the sets/new releases/info for 2017 and try to avoid anything that really cannot be backed up as it's only going to cause a commotion.  THANKS!

21 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Reviews of most SW summer sets are up

Went for the reviews, stayed for the music. He's done all but the quadjumper, tracker 1, hyperdrive ring and the buildings figures.

I got the Bounty Hunter Battle Pack from Smyths today. They had most of the Summer wave of sets; we don't seem to have had confirmation of the UK prices for this wave yet so I thought I'd put the prices Smyths were charging:

Battle packs: £11.99

Quadjumper: £54.99

Vader Transformation: £19.99

Republic Fighter Tank: £19.99

Rathtar Escape: £84.99

Arrowhead: £84.99

Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike: £49.99

No Tracker I or Hyperdrive Booster Ring though! I don't know if these will be Lego's prices - we'll see...

£84.99 for the Rathtar set is extortionate. Any little thoughts of picking that one up are out of the window for me.

Anybody would be willing to help me buy a few sets from smyths and ship them to my address up north?

Edited by SCREDEYE
Typo

5 hours ago, SCREDEYE said:

Went for the reviews, stayed for the music. He's done all but the quadjumper, tracker 1, hyperdrive ring and the buildings figures.

Thanks for the comment! Don't know of anyone else using original music in LEGO reviews :) Still unsure about getting the other sets, plus they're starting to appear elsewhere now, so others will be reviewing them. I have limited space here.

My review of The Arrowhead is now up: