Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2017 Pictures and Rumors

On 18 February 2017 at 9:44 AM, Brikkyy13 said:

It appears that they've used 2 of a part like this one on either wing with stickers.

Totally called the piece they used for those engine grills haha

Looks like a great set. Disappointed by the stickers and pilot heads as much as everyone else, but as I don't have the last one I'm definitely getting it.

Funny how I see pretty much unanimous love for this thing on the Star Wars pages and the LEGO post on FB and then when I go to the major fans in the LEGO Forum it is much more divisive. That joke about how "The people who hate Star Wars the most are Star Wars fans" seems to apply to LEGO as well, evidently. 

The new UCS Snowspeeder looks fantastic (stickers notwithstanding), and I'd love to have one, but I'm disappointed it's not a new UCS Millennium Falcon. But I gather that's still rumored for the fall set?

I guess I'm in the moderate camp for the Snowspeeder -- my opinion isn't extremely for or against it. It's a gorgeous model with neat functions and is surely welcome after the recent UCS goofs. But yes, I share your pain when it comes to the many stickers and the identical faces on the pilots. It's an eventual buy for me, but I'm not going to spring on day one.

I'm almost glad when TLG release UCS sets like this because I know I'll save money. I'm mainly into bad guy stuff (Imperials, Bounty Hunters etc) and the only UCS sets I own are playsets anyway (Death Star, Ewok Village). This looks nice enough I guess but like everyone else I already have a minifig scale Snowspeeder and feel no need for a giant version.

Great UCS (not perfect but really good), however I don't buy these. But I'm really glad to see this after what was released last year.

4 hours ago, Ashnflash said:

I don't mind the Assault on Hoth. It had pretty good figures, and it was a pretty good playset overall and it's target consumer is more than just Star Wars AFOL's.

That being said, I have nothing against the design of the ship. But in terms of scale of other ships it doesn't fit, and I just don't see the appeal. But good on you guys who are excited for it :thumbup:

UCS is all about the Star Wars AFOL having a giant detailed out-of-scale model that just sits on the shelf. Exactly what this Snowspeeder is. That is why the target audience (right here in this forum) is so in favour of it. The Hoth set from last year was a terrible UCS. A good playset, but a really really really bad UCS model. If it was never labelled UCS nor took up a UCS slot there wouldn't be the animosity against it.

Liking the new Snowspeeder, will definitely be picking this one up.

I will be picking this up for sure. Snowspeeder has always been one of my favorite vehicles and this UCS set does it justice. Plus I bought no UCS sets in 2016, so this will end the drought ;)

33 minutes ago, Artanis I said:

Great UCS (not perfect but really good), however I don't buy these. But I'm really glad to see this after what was released last year.

UCS is all about the Star Wars AFOL having a giant detailed out-of-scale model that just sits on the shelf. Exactly what this Snowspeeder is. That is why the target audience (right here in this forum) is so in favour of it. The Hoth set from last year was a terrible UCS. A good playset, but a really really really bad UCS model. If it was never labelled UCS nor took up a UCS slot there wouldn't be the animosity against it.

Again, personally this set does not interest me as much as other UCS' have in the past. It is just another re-hash but no one seems to mind that and I get that it's not like the Death Star. But the figures aren't that great or "exclusive" as they in the video. But I'm glad that everyone else is happy and looking forward to it :thumbup:

5 hours ago, General Magma said:

As I predicted. No dual molding on Bossk, thus making the figure look unnecessarily outdated in this day and age.
The norm for Star Wars minifigures, it seems, even though dual molding happens on some other (smaller) themes in abundance...

And of course! Extra detailed Star Wars minifigures with arm printing... only available in overly expensive UCS sets that, once bought, render the rest of your pilots incompatible.
I'm finding these money-raking tricks a bit dirty. Plenty of other themes get arm printing and even dual molding all around even in small sets, but for Star Wars, it's made exclusive to only the most expensive sets...

I fully agree. I'm curious also as to why Lego keeps releasing rebel pilots with a helmet that doesnt have a molded visor. We know they're going to eventually do it so by not releasing it now they're giving us all this variety that's going to be  outdated in a few years. :hmpf_bad: 

the build itself is pretty good, and most of the shapes are captured reasonably well. That is to be expected though, especially for how lego spruiks these things. I still am toally confused as to why they keep doing the snowspeeder in white, though. It simply isn't white (snowspeeder_ef2f9334.jpeg?region=0,337,2

and even if you don't think light bluish gray matches perfectly, it's much closer than Lego's white. About the stickers - i don't understand why people don't like them. If you don't just don't put them on.

The other thing that bothers me is the unnecessary limiting of better designs on the minifigures. Keeping printing on the arms only in super expensive sets is a scummy thing to do, and it's been said already but using the same cartoony face for named characters that has appeared on over half a dozen other sets and minifigs is pretty lazy. I don't understand why they don't seem to want to make a better product to no real cost.

Not interested in the Snowspeeder and still sad how Lego still refuses to release a UCS AT-AT as it is my favorite Stars Wars vehicle. Makes no sense to release so many Snowspeeders and not have an AT-AT for that one iconic scene. A giant AT-AT might have stability issues is probably the reason Lego won't make one I suppose.

The complaints about the snowspeeder being a remake seem a bit ill considered IMO. The old one is 14 years old, its not a set many AFOLs have, its not a set many AFOLs could ever hope to have.

I'll be buying it. Too many stickers, but that's the norm these days. It's confusing why they can make an Ideas set with printed parts but not any other set. Let's hope that cockpit sticker is not the same nightmare that the x-wing was....!

Just now, will said:

I'll be buying it. Too many stickers, but that's the norm these days. It's confusing why they can make an Ideas set with printed parts but not any other set. Let's hope that cockpit sticker is not the same nightmare that the x-wing was....!

BrickHeadz also have printed parts :sceptic: Anyway, really good looking set, I'll buying it but only after the possible MF UCS set is revealed. 

Really excited for this one, the functions are amazing  Definitely a day one purchase for me! 

14 minutes ago, will said:

Let's hope that cockpit sticker is not the same nightmare that the x-wing was....!

They showed the sticker sheet in the designer video, I got the impression that the canopy has about 5 stickers (one for each of the stripes) so it should be a lot easier to apply them and get a good result.  

If the next UCS set is indeed a millennium falcon, it could be a very painful year for my wallet...

12 hours ago, Ashnflash said:

Seeing the official images now, to me this is the worst Star Wars UCS released to date. I don't see the appeal at all. The only people this set is really marketed to is UCS Star Wars, and they've already released one... So this does not make sense to me, probably should've been a UCS relating to Rogue One. 

Looks like a big case of 'meh' to me. Not worth the money. Would have rather had the cargo shuttle from Rogue One than that.

I think the new UCS Snowspeeder looks great, it's been quite a while since the previous one so I don't mind that it's a remake. I have the old one, but will get this anyway.

I think it looks fantastic, much nicer looking than the original UCS version, so a nice update. The old version was a total stud-fest and costs a fortune to buy second hand, and even to bricklink there are certain parts that are very pricey and don't look that good. The functions work really well and the stud to tile ratio looks to be as good as Lego are willing to give is, given their love of the stud!. The new windsheild looks good, though technically the sides should go further back. I'm guessing the availability of other glazing for the other windows was the decider there. Yes it has a lot of stickers, quite why printing is so hard for star wars sets when ideas sets get them so readily we may never know.

All in all, day one purchase for me, then the save-athon is on for the Falcon.....

31 stickers is a bit much, but as mentioned above, the cockpit stickers aren't full ones.

Stickers

(thanks to ghostmind @gaf for the picture)

Edited by will

The new UCS Snowspeeder looks great! I have 10129 but will get this one too. I agree with the overall sentiment about the number of stickers though, particularly canopy stickers. If they go the trouble of creating a new canopy mold I can't see why they can't make it printed? Even the guy in the announcement video felt like he had to justify the number of stickers. Sometimes I feel like TLG cut production costs on Star Wars sets because they know they will sell well regardless. If Megabloks can make "collector" sets entirely sans stickers & with complex printed elements surely Lego can!