Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2017 Pictures and Rumors

15 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

Looks like good set with a good selection of minifigures! Might just pick it up...

Me too. I need to get the £20 sets first, but I might pick this one up somewhen.

Speaking of new sets, apparently my Phantom is (finally) arriving tomorrow. I'll put some of my thoughts up, some of you seem to still be on the fence about this one, might help tilt you in one direction or another.

When someone has the new skiff, could he/she maybe make a picture with the last one. I'm curious how they look together. And which one i like the best.

10 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

The reason star wars figs lack printing as detailed as other themes is because SW is a long running theme, they can't use up all of their design options yet.

That has literally nothing to do with it. It's all about production capacity and scheduling. The newer minifig printers can do dual side printing automatically. The older need to have the torso's manually flipped and reloaded. Depending on which factory is assigned will determine what machines are available and when. And factory assignment is the most complex and finite resource LEGO has. A lot of logistics go into production decisions. If not doing back printing allows them to avoid a logistics step of shipping parts across the world to assemble the sets, they may forgo it. 

They may be more prone to make this decision for Star Wars sets, as SW often has tighter deadlines to hit, plus unlike say, Super Heroes, the minifigs for Star Wars are not the entirety of the core draw. Kids want the swooshable space ships to. Nobody is buying most Super Heroe sets for the builds or models, for the most part. The sets are just there to show off the colorful heroes. Whereas for a Star Wars, most of the figs are just there to populate the ships. 

1 hour ago, Deathstroke77 said:

I saw this review earlier too - it's a neat set, and has great figs. The Skiff is a little lacklustre, but I love the Sarlaac.

I really don't understand how you can think that's nice minifigures, let's just assume the choice itself is repetitive and boring but the design, Han it's just the new hair, that it, he could have received new printing, and Chewbacca, that figure has been everywhere in the last 2 years, Boba.. well it's an improvement but I would have preferred a non-generic head. And the Weequay skiff guards is absolutely horrible, the worst figure I've seen in a year! The head doesn't look good and that printed hair! Can lego just stop printing hair! I'm still waiting for the first wee quay molded head...

I'm currenty missing Chewie, so getting him is great, a few changes to Boba are quite welcome, as is Han's new hairpiece. I agree with you on the Skiff Guard, but to me, these figs are alright, especially since I'm missing Chewie (I've been waiting for him to be in a cheap-ish set for a while).

The figs are plenty good, especially for people who don't have them yet or missed the last skiff. I don't mind when TLG does rehash sets; saves me money! I like the Phantom II though. Looks like I'll have to dig through the pirates minifig pieces for gold epaulettes for ol' Thrawny boy. Yellow might work too, in a pinch.

6 minutes ago, Deathstroke77 said:

I'm currenty missing Chewie, so getting him is great, a few changes to Boba are quite welcome, as is Han's new hairpiece. I agree with you on the Skiff Guard, but to me, these figs are alright, especially since I'm missing Chewie (I've been waiting for him to be in a cheap-ish set for a while).

Sorry to sound a bit sarcastic here, but I've you managed to miss a set with Chewie I think you got skills, you actually have neither got the latest MF, DS or the Imperial shuttle? I got all of those and pretty tired of him by know, so I really hope he won't be in the Gavin Death gang, however I wouldn't mind another Han with the new hair in gray.

8 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

Sorry to sound a bit sarcastic here, but I've you managed to miss a set with Chewie I think you got skills, you actually have neither got the latest MF, DS or the Imperial shuttle? I got all of those and pretty tired of him by know, so I really hope he won't be in the Gavin Death gang, however I wouldn't mind another Han with the new hair in gray.

All those kits (MF, DS, imperial shuttle) cost a small fortune. IIRC the cheapest set for NuChewie is (was) Droid Gunship 75042.

Just now, Sneakguest said:

Like I said, I've been waiting for a CHEAP-ish set for him to be in - I have no real interest in buying any of those, since 1) they're expensive and 2) I had no real desire to buy either.

We should probably move on to something else. So how does the new Y-Wing bomb mechanism work? I've seen a few reviews but none have offered a very clear look at how the mechanism functions.

2 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

Ridiculous. Those sets are not cheap by any measure. I have the original DS and the 2013 Falcon, I picked up the Tydirium just to have more Imperial resources but had I not been a die-hard Imperial I likely would not have a new Chewbacca either.

4 hours ago, ChristopherLee said:

75174 Desert Skiff Escape Review

I can live with this set, the guard has superb torso/leg detailing and the ROTJ Boba looks great updated. Han and Chewie are expected but I see great parts value in the set itself..especially with that brown flex tubing.

14 hours ago, robertgorman2505 said:

This is slightly off topic but I find it funny that Americans are complaining about a late release for the star wars set when they got the lego batman movie, city, and other themes I can't currently remember almost three months before the rest of the world. I just found it interesting, that's all.

The vader transformation set could be really useful for me if it comes with the new vader mask as I do not have this yet.

I don't build in any other theme than Star Wars so I really could care less what other themes we get first.

The new Skiff set looks pretty good. I'm mostly excited for the new Weequay, Han's hair and the Sarlacc. I like how the plank slides out perpendicularly instead of rotating. My only concern is if it'll fit all of the minifigures from that scene (Han, Chewie, Luke, Lando, Kithaba, 2x Weequay). 

The skiff is better than I initially thought but the set on a whole seems really unnecessary and unappealing. The only thing I'll be getting form this wave of sets is Yoda's Jedi Starfighter because I can't pass up an Eta-2! Plus I think it looks better than the source material for once.

13 hours ago, Faefrost said:

That has literally nothing to do with it. It's all about production capacity and scheduling. The newer minifig printers can do dual side printing automatically. The older need to have the torso's manually flipped and reloaded. Depending on which factory is assigned will determine what machines are available and when. And factory assignment is the most complex and finite resource LEGO has. A lot of logistics go into production decisions. If not doing back printing allows them to avoid a logistics step of shipping parts across the world to assemble the sets, they may forgo it. 

I agree totally with this! This is a business and SW makes up a major part of that business and both designers and production teams are up against it churning this product line out in a constant rotation. They have a budget too! They have to manage their number of parts so they can't always introduce new parts and figures even if they want to.

Whenever the new lines are released I just turn to my kids and ask them "what do you think?" They seem happy with it. They love the new battle packs and Y-Wing. The Naboo duel, while underwhelming to some, is excellent value in that price range. I won't get every set but I think they have done a great job in putting sets out there to cover each price category.

It's a thumbs up from me and even more importantly a thumbs up from the kids. Now bring on the summer wave! Are there any rumours about UCS and D2C sets yet?

So, I got the Phantom - here are a few of my thoughts:

- Build: The build was really fun, actually. The ship came together nicely as you built it, and it wasn't an excessively long build - it took me around about 45 minutes.

- Minifigs: Do I even need to go there? They're awesome. It's nice to get Chopper again, Kanan's new hair/mask mould is very strong and looks very accurate, and Thrawn is just awesome. It's great to finally have him in minifigure form. My one gripe however is of course his insignia - I might have to do something to that to correct it, but when you're looking at him it's hard to get angry when its our first (and maybe last) Thrawn figure after nearly 18 years of LEGO Star Wars.

- The Phantom: I really like it. While I hated its underside beforehand, it's grown on me enough to accept it, at least. I really like the back end of the Phantom, very vibrant and also VERY sturdy. I've managed to drop it twice now (I'm a little clumsy) and the ship has remained in one piece. There's a nice little technic mechanism running through the heart of the ship which keeps that top wing in place, making the ship really quite sturdy. The cockpit is roomy, but a little bland, but it's no big deal. However I don't like this new system they've used for slotting minifigures in. The minifigure feels a little loose in there. I might have to change this out for normal studs so the fig is sat firmly in there. The storage compartment around the back is roomier than you think. While you can't get a minifig in there when the little storage box is in there, with the box removed, you can easily throw 2 minifigs in there, at a push 3. They aren't sat in there nicely though, it's really just the figs rammed in there, but they fit. The spring loaded shooters are a nice addition, and are well integrated, but the mechanism gets in the way a little of the storage compartment - without the mechanism, you'd be able to sit minifigs in there. Not a huge deal, but a little bit of a gripe. My biggest gripe with the ship though is the landing mechanism. Sure, it's a accurate to the ship, but I've found the little legs to be a little flimsy and they're hard to position to get a nice balance so the ship stands upright properly. They could've been done better.

- So, is it worth the price? No. It's an awesome set, very sturdy, great minifigs, neat play features, but it isn't worth the price tag. Get it on discount. I got mine for £35, and I'm happy with that. But not for £40. Like I said, try and get it discounted.

- Overall: 8/10. Great build, fantastic minifgures, a few cool features, but I'm not happy with the landing mechanism or the price tag. I'd definitely recommend it, but like I said, get it at a discount. You'll feel more satisfied with the set if you get it cheaper, I assure you.

Oh, I also got the A-Wing pilot poly, too. It's nothing special, but he has some nice print.

Edited by Deathstroke77

3 minutes ago, Deathstroke77 said:

So, I got the Phantom - here are a few of my thoughts:

- Build: The build was really fun, actually. The ship came together nicely as you built it, and it wasn't an excessively long build - it took me around about 45 minutes.

- Minifigs: Do I even need to go there? They're awesome. It's nice to get Chopper again, Kanan's new hair/mask mould is very strong and looks very accurate, and Thrawn is just awesome. It's great to finally have him in minifigure form. My one gripe however is of course his insignia - I might have to do something to that to correct it, but when you're looking at him it's hard to get angry when its our first (and maybe last) Thrawn figure after nearly 18 years of LEGO Star Wars.

- The Phantom: I really like it. While I hated its underside beforehand, it's grown on me enough to accept it, at least. I really like the back end of the Phantom, very vibrant and also VERY sturdy. I've managed to drop it twice now (I'm a little clumsy) and the ship has remained in one piece. There's a nice little technic mechanism running through the heart of the ship which keeps that top wing in place, making the ship really quite sturdy. The cockpit is roomy, but a little bland, but it's no big deal. However I don't like this new system they've used for slotting minifigures in. The minifigure feels a little loose in there. I might have to change this out for normal studs so the fig is sat firmly in there. The storage compartment around the back is roomier than you think. While you can't get a minifig in there when the little storage box is in there, with the box removed, you can easily throw 2 minifigs in there, at a push 3. They aren't sat in there nicely though, it's really just the figs rammed in there, but they fit. The spring loaded shooters are a nice addition, and are well integrated, but the mechanism gets in the way a little of the storage compartment - without the mechanism, you'd be able to sit minifigs in there. Not a huge deal, but a little bit of a gripe. My biggest gripe with the ship though is the landing mechanism. Sure, it's a accurate to the ship, but I've found the little legs to be a little flimsy and they're hard to position to get a nice balance so the ship stands upright properly. They could've been done better.

- So, is it worth the price? No. It's an awesome set, very sturdy, great minifigs, neat play features, but it isn't worth the price tag. Get it on discount. I got mine for £35, and I'm happy with that. But not for £40. Like I said, try and get it discounted.

- Overall: 8/10. Great build, fantastic minifgures, a few cool features, but I'm not happy with the landing mechanism or the price tag. I'd definitely recommend it, but like I said, get it at a discount. You'll feel more satisfied with the set if you get it cheaper, I assure you.

Oh, I also got the A-Wing pilot poly, too. It's nothing special, but he has some nice print.

Nice review, can you post a few pictures to accompany it? Would be really great to visualize this ship.

Also, after playing around with it, the storage box, if you turn it on its side, you can fit a minifig in beside it in the back of the ship. So, if you want to, you can have the whole set, including the figures, bundled into the Phantom. I won't be doing that though, Thrawn is going up on display.

29 minutes ago, Deathstroke77 said:

I can try, what would you like pictures of? Just general photos of the ship, areas of the ship, the figs?

Yeah, general photos will be great especially front of cockpit and new Kanan and Thrawn. Thanks!

I am wondering why Boba Fett's hands in the Desert Skiff Escape set are tan. It seems less accurate to me, because if you look at a picture of Boba Fett, his hands are gray.

2128_product_silo2.png

Edited by fatsomania

2 hours ago, Deathstroke77 said:

Here: https://imgur.com/a/wf98x

Apologies, the lighting in my house and the quality of my phone camera don't make for the greatest of photos.

Thanks for the pics! Can't wait till December 26 when this set gets released , I will definitely modify it a bit to make it better though.