Sign in to follow this  
TwistLaw

Which is the worst wave of BIONICLE G2?

Which is the worst wave of BIONICLE G2?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the worst wave of BIONICLE G2?

Title says it all.

To be clearer, worst as in having the less interesting builds, uninteresting colours, less cohesive looks etc.

EDIT: I know the 2017 sets are yet to be seen, the poll is of course meant to describe the current perception of the line by the fans.

Edited by TwistLaw

To early to call perhaps? :) I can easily claim some G1 "worst waves" since I have 10 years to pull from *ahem Stars*.

But if I will give G2 weakest moment I will say for now Summer 2015. Yes Skull Grinder vs. Mask Maker was spectacular, and Skull Warrior was alright. But overall the wave lacked coherence, and also brought us Skull Scorpio..

For my favorite G2 wave I gotta give it hands down to Winter 2015. The Toa perfected years of Hero Factory designs and had enough G1 inspiration to bring nostalgic vibes.

Probably this year's summer wave... there is nothing, repeat nothing, that interests me or looks good. Some of the skull villains looked good and Ekimu was just awesome last year--there is no standout model this time. :sceptic:

I don't think it's fair to label the waves as "best" or "worst" mainly because different people will like different things, as is the nature of the world. For one, I love this summer wave, I prefer the beasts so much more to the skull villains which I thought were a little more bland as villains. HOWEVER, I think none of the waves are extremely bad....I can think of so many waves in G1 which were way worse than any of the waves in G2. For example, I think the Inika were weak sets, ditto with the Piraka, and Hordika. The Stars were atrocious. I'm sure other people really liked those waves, but just because I didn't like them, didn't mean they were the "worst" waves. Some people like me really like this summer wave for innovative functions, risks taken, etc., similar to the winter wave of 2016.

Edited by lambda_cla3391

I think it depends on opinions, but for me this year's summer wave is the weakest wave by far. The beasts and UTD are kinda ugly, messy and too gappy even for what they supposed to be and Ekimu looks pretty boring for me.

AT least some of the 2015 summer sets are pretty good like Skull Grinder vs Ekimu and Skull Warrior, but there's almost no sets i'm interested in this year's summer wave. :sceptic:

Hope that the 2017 sets will be much better.

Y'know, I do genuinely like this year's summer wave, but I'm going to have to say it's the worst so far. While the Beasts are interesting, they're not nearly as nicely designed as the Skull Creatures were. And while Umarak the Destroyer is quite incredible, he isn't the entire wave, so... Yeah. Summer 2016 is the worst so far, but I still dig it.

Favorite wave? Winter 2015. Hands down. The Toa and Protectors were magnificent.

Edited by Logan McOwen

We'll never know until the ending, but right now I'd have to say by a slight margin this summer is my least favorite wave so far. Aside from Lava Beast and Umarak I just can't get behind any of the sets. The Skeletons as a whole I feel were designed better. They had a cohesive undead look, their own texture styling, unique functions without much sacrifice (sans Scorpio), built apon the mask-stealing theme of 2015, and had more villain diversity. The Beasts sport improved builds and height, but suffer from their functions, poor custom limbs, gap issues, and the lack of play theme. Umarak the Destroyer is definitely an improvement in the the Titan department, but the rest of his cohorts drag the wave down.

Nice to see that no one's voted the Winter 2015 wave as the worst. :sweet: IMO, that wave's gonna go down in legend next to the Toa Mata.

On the matter at hand, I despise the Winter 2016 wave. FWIW, I have tried so hard to like it. I dislike it less than I used to.

Nice to see that no one's voted the Winter 2015 wave as the worst. :sweet: IMO, that wave's gonna go down in legend next to the Toa Mata.

On the matter at hand, I despise the Winter 2016 wave. FWIW, I have tried so hard to like it. I dislike it less than I used to.

Yay! Somebody agrees with me! It was a very good wave, but it just doesn't stand up against the other waves...

W 2016 > W 2015 >>>> S 2015 > S 2016

More or less, it's this for me. Winter 2016 has the edge over 2015 for a greater blend of Technic and CCBS, more interesting colours (trans purple, dark tan, dark blue..), rotating waist, and of course Umarak (which is so much above LoSS it's not even funny). I still love Winter 2015 for bringing some nearly perfect remakes of the classic masks (especially the Akaku and the Pakari), the genius thing that is the gearbox, and the fantastic weapons (which, yes, do embarass the 2016 crystal blade quite a bit).

It wasn't very easy to pick the better one between the two Summer waves (or, rather the lesser evil), but I came to the conclusion that Summer 2016 is worse. Sure, Ekimu the Mask Maker is awesome, and Umarak the Destroyer is a much more interesting build than Kulta, but he's still underwhelming compared to the likes of Grievous (and Umarak the Hunter, really), the new parts are less useful and the Beasts look very boring. It's very easy to revamp the Skeletons because their parts (weapons, masks, printed chests) are very cool, but the Beasts look terribly generic, like the 2013 HF villains (ok....maybe not THAT awful).

So, yeah, Summer 2015 isn't that great, but at least it brings something more useful to the table than Summer 2016. Ultimately, both waves are pretty underwhelming.

That trans. light blue Mask of Creation, though.

W 2016 > W 2015 >>>> S 2015 > S 2016

More or less, it's this for me. Winter 2016 has the edge over 2015 for a greater blend of Technic and CCBS, more interesting colours (trans purple, dark tan, dark blue..), rotating waist, and of course Umarak (which is so much above LoSS it's not even funny). I still love Winter 2015 for bringing some nearly perfect remakes of the classic masks (especially the Akaku and the Pakari), the genius thing that is the gearbox, and the fantastic weapons (which, yes, do embarass the 2016 crystal blade quite a bit).

It wasn't very easy to pick the better one between the two Summer waves (or, rather the lesser evil), but I came to the conclusion that Summer 2016 is worse. Sure, Ekimu the Mask Maker is awesome, and Umarak the Destroyer is a much more interesting build than Kulta, but he's still underwhelming compared to the likes of Grievous (and Umarak the Hunter, really), the new parts are less useful and the Beasts look very boring. It's very easy to revamp the Skeletons because their parts (weapons, masks, printed chests) are very cool, but the Beasts look terribly generic, like the 2013 HF villains (ok....maybe not THAT awful).

So, yeah, Summer 2015 isn't that great, but at least it brings something more useful to the table than Summer 2016. Ultimately, both waves are pretty underwhelming.

That trans. light blue Mask of Creation, though.

Bless this post.

Like, I 100% agree with everything you said. Last year's summer introduced more masks (3 vs 2), more weapons (2 vs 0) and in general more pieces. While having its own faults, it was miles better than this year's.

And the blend of Technic and CCBS, along with new aesthetics in general, made this winter seem like a purchase worth more than your average HF set (winter 2015, while being near perfect, was still too close to what HF looked like for years).

Winter 2016 by far. Summer 2016 didn't have a prior wave to fail to live up to in every way.

I hope that doesn't change by next year, but at least the bar's been set pretty low.

I don't really dislike any of the waves. There is something I usually end up liking about the models that makes me want them. Though out of the four waves we have seen and myself only having two complete, one incomplete and nothing of the other, I still can't really say. To me there is nothing that makes any wave from the line bad or undesirable. I found that I like something from every wave and each set in those waves. There is no real worst wave to me so far.

I personally feel it's a tie between Summer 2015 and Summer 2016. The beasts are a bit more interesting in functions and I think they have a potentially neat aesthetic but they have even less mask variety than the skellies, their jaws are weirdly disconnected and Lava Beasts custom shins make them even. The skellies have a more consistent theme and introduced some neat parts and colours, but they looked really weaksauce compared to the toa, the bones are situational and nothing really stands out like Umarak or Quake Beast (yes I think Quake Beast is a good set).

Winter 2016 by far. Summer 2016 didn't have a prior wave to fail to live up to in every way.

I hope that doesn't change by next year, but at least the bar's been set pretty low.

So you're saying that W16 is the worst just because it wasn't as good as W15? Well, that's... interesting. I thought that being the worst dependend on how bad the wave was, not because on any comparison.

So you're saying that W16 is the worst just because it wasn't as good as W15? Well, that's... interesting. I thought that being the worst dependend on how bad the wave was, not because on any comparison.

Oh no, it's still bad on its own, but before I softened on the Summer 16 sets they seemed more or less equally bad, so the Winter ones lose out by the additional factor of being crappy updates.

Save for Umarak the Hunter, who actually lives up to his hype, surprisingly.

Oh no, it's still bad on its own, but before I softened on the Summer 16 sets they seemed more or less equally bad, so the Winter ones lose out by the additional factor of being crappy updates.

Okay, now I understand. It's still an original opinion, but I get what you mean and I agree somehow.

I dunno, as much as the techniques are weird in some spots the potential is definitely there and they did introduce waist articulation as a sort of standard which I find significant, even if the execution is dependant on part quality. Then again it has it's fixes.

Going by the admittedly imprecise metric of "How much do I want to buy them," Summer 2016 loses. I haven't bought any of this wave's sets yet, but they're remarkably unappealing. The beasts in particular are far too generic to get me excited (though Lava Beast comes close to dodging this,) and the designs of all the sets save Ekimu are decidedly variable (and he lacks a certain pizazz instead.) I'm particularly unfond of the clumsy, ill-fitting new crystal add-on.

My favorite set from this wave is probably Umarak the Destroyer, which, at least, knows what it wants to be and isn't trying to play things safe.