SkaForHire

The Battle for the Grand Duchy of Prio

The Battle for the Grand Duchy of Prio

27182118255_72b1668d51_c.jpgthe prio sea area by skaforhire, on Flickr
26577680573_bfbb61eec6_c.jpgduchy of prio by skaforhire, on Flickr
Last month, Lord Alexander Prio, one of the King of Mardier’s viceroys in the Far Seas, called for volunteers to help him tame the island of Ilse de Romantica. Those volunteers came from all four of the main factions, and they were rewarded. At the end of the month, Prio declared himself Duke Prio, of the Independent Grand Duchy of Prio of Isla de Romantica. (GDPIR).

The Mardier Far Island Fleet operating from King’s Island, about 300 miles to the north has been dispatched to take back the island. Mardier is in a Civil War and is spread thin, so it only has a few ships and men to dedicate to this cause. The Mardier military has contacted the remnants of the natives that Prio had recently crushed, and has now enlisted them to sweep the island and take and hold territory.

Prio is determined to keep his Duchy, and he believes that his new friends may be willing to help him fight for what is his. He has a large war chest, so rewards will be given to those who conquer and hold territory.
Rules:

Turns: Each turn is 7 days, or whenever the last person has made a move, whichever comes first.

To win: A side will win when it either a)sues for peace, or b)wipes its enemy(ies) from the island.

An Army: An army consists of at least 20 men. For every 20 men, it gains a rank. Every space that an army occupies becomes part of that player’s territory. It stays that player’s territory until another army from another player captures it.

Actions:
It is very simple, for every 10 men that you have on the island, you get one action each turn.
So if you have 20 men on the island you will get 2 actions per turn.

Build: Form a small wartime settlement on the island. This raises your “Contribution Rating” by 1. Remember, your team has to win the war in order to pay you though! If you build a MOC representing this, you will get +2 Contribution rating instead of +1.

Recruit: You may invite another ship to join you. You can only Recruit once a turn. This ship must be licensed, but does not have to belong to you. You cannot call a faction owned ship. Each ship brings its 10 * class level + 5 men per Crew level. So a 2A would bring 25 men. (Prio and Mardier can recruit twice per turn.) If you invite another builder to the island that is not already playing, they now become a player as well, and may make actions next turn. Recruited vessels start anywhere on shore that is neutral or owned by an ally (or yourself!). You may also invite EGS registered troops (belonging to you, or somebody else) but the maximum amount of troops per invite is 90. Like normal troop movement, a specific registered vessel is not needed to transport them to the island. However, troops must land in an allied zone, not a neutral or enemy zone.

Attack: to attack, you declare an attack on a hex that is owned by anybody other than you, as long as you have an army adjacent to that space. An attack is resolved by comparing the two ranks. A tie goes to the defender. The winner holds the hex, the loses retreats and is reduced in rank, or is destroyed. If there is no open space for the loser to retreat to, the army is captured and taken off the board. A unit is reduced one rank when it loses a battle unless the attacke is twice as strong as the defense, in this case, the defending army is reduced to half of its total rank, rounded up. An army may only attack or move once per turn, not both.

IE: A rank 6 attacks a rank 5, the rank 5 retreats and is reduced to a rank 4. OR a rank 8 army attacks a rank 4 army, the rank 4 army retreats and is reduced to a rank 2 army.

Support: An army that is adjacent to another army can support the that army. An army may support another army’s attack or defense. If an army supports a defensive army (one which has not moved), the full rank of the support army is added to the defending army. If an army supports an offensive move, only half of the support army's rank is added to the moving / attacking army. (This includes supporting an army into an unoccupied hex) If the supporting army is attacked, then its support is broken.

Move: you can move an army to any unoccupied hex that is adjacent to your army. Any army can move up to three spaces across water, because they all have a vessel. To capture a water space, they must have ended a turn in that space. On land an army can only move one space at any time. An army may only move or attack once per turn, not both.

Divide: Your army can divide into separate armies, but the second army must be adjacent to the first. Each army must have a rank of at least 1

Merge: An army may merge with another army owned by a player on the same team.

Special Rules:
Attacking from multiple sides (flanking) – when an army is attacked from multiple sides, it fights at a rank lower for each side it is attacked on – 1. (being attacked on three sides would decrease the defender’s rank by 2)
Mocing an attack or a defense. If you are conducting an attack, and MOC the attack or a defense, you gain 1 rank for that army. (one moc per army)

Submitting Movements: All movements happen at the same time. Each player will secretly submit their movements to Skaforhire. All MOCs must be submitted for that week must be within 24 hours of the deadline in order to get the benefits associated with them.

If two armies attempt to occupy a space without one declaring an attack, then the larger army (including any support it may have) will take the space.

Ships used in this war cannot be used in the MRCA until you pull out of the war with that ship.

Here are the current players :

Deployment list ship by ship. If you do not want to play, just either pass or do not post by the deadline ( May 29th by midnight anywhere in the world)

Here is the order of deployment, preference goes to ships listed highest.
(Based on troops)

White skull 25 men (SR)
Corland Supplier, 20 men COR
The Novitus 20 men
Alexander 20 men (COR)
Golden Star 20 men (ESL)
Peregrine, 10 men (COR)
Wight spider 10 men (SR)
Small fishin boat 5 men (OL)
La Espada 5 men (ESL)
HMS isandlwana 5 men (COR)

To play just post a description of where you want your army to start, it is best to give three options (better if you just download the map and mark the spots you want to start on in order). Your original deployment hex must be on a coast and not in territory occupied by Mardier or Prio.

Remember, if you kept your ship here to fight this war, then it cannot participate in the MRCA this month, or any month until you are eliminated, pull out, or the war is over. If your ship leaves the island, so does your men.

If you have less than 10 men, then you will need to recruit before you can attack. You can still defend as a rank 1 army, but you cannot attack or support.

If you lose your soldiers / sailors, you DO NOT lose them in any other form in the MRCA / EGS
27155247196_c3eb2d027e.jpgUntitled-3 by skaforhire, on Flickr
26913747900_511362e34d_b.jpgteststart by skaforhire, on Flickr

Awesome!!! I am already thinking where to deploy my army!

One question though, it is Mardier who is the enemy? Or can for example Oleon soldiers choose to fight together with Mardier?

Also: if you recruit a ship, does that mean that ship is not part of the MRCA as well?

Edited by Maxim I

I sent the wrong ship on that bounty run...

ok, that's a lie. I just don't have any ships spare to call in for reinforcements.

To the Duke of Prio

The HMS Isandlwana, by principle of Quinnsville, opts to not engage into the battle and the possible war consequences.

As such, she raises sail and pulls out of the conflict, to return to her home haven.

Sir Thomas Smaugton,

Mayor of Quinnsville

Founder of Maestro Corrington

Lord of Driftwood

(OOC/ I just don't have the time to follow up on this let alone build for it, with the convention season and LUG responsibilities in full swing)

I sent the wrong ship on that bounty run...

ok, that's a lie. I just don't have any ships spare to call in for reinforcements.

Call a friend! :) - It was late and I forgot to mention that as long as the players are from the same faction, they can combine forces.

An alternative here would be to raise private troops (albeit having to pay for them each month through the EGS) and dispatch them to the island.

Awesome!!! I am already thinking where to deploy my army!

One question though, it is Mardier who is the enemy? Or can for example Oleon soldiers choose to fight together with Mardier?

Also: if you recruit a ship, does that mean that ship is not part of the MRCA as well?

Well, you picked up on that early, Mardier is going to call for volunteers also. But yes, Mardier is Prio's enemy. One of the reasons that faction ships can't join is that it would cause a war, but factions don't necessarily control their members, so individual players could stay and be mercenaries.

Yes, all forces used here will be unable to participate in the MRCA

However, as long as your side prevails, there is a financial pay out that will rival a good MRCA run or two or ten.

Nice to hear!

Also, a ship that is recruited, can that ship be lost?

Am I able to sell my license and ship to another player if they're interested in +5 men?

I was going to unlicensed this vessel. :look:

Does ones side need a foothold on the island now in order to be able to join the fight? Does belonging to a faction matter at all, since this will likely stay limited to private operations - unless open war with Mardier is desired, or an entire faction decides to crush the Grand Duchy along with Mardier. Can one just join the battle next month? If this continues over quite some weeks, will none of the forces committed to this be able to participate in the following MCRAs, or is it possible to just opt in and out of the battle every few weeks, or until a certain deadline each month? In general: How fixed is any commitment?

As far as I understand:

1) yes: you need to be recruited if you want to join

2) this is private, unless a nation declares war at Mardier. I think if a nation declares war on the duke, this will result in bad relations between the PC-factions.

3) one can join a battle when recruited. Once in a war, one should stay in war as long as he has troops. This doesn't mean he can't enjoy the MRCA with other ships. I even think he can withdraw troops as long as he is active. But it would be logical that a ship that is withdrawn needs a month cooldown before re-entering the warzone.

If soemeone leaves the battle, it seems only fair he loses his assembled reputation points.

4) ships that are active in war, can not be deployed in the MRCA

So I think commitment is very strict

Edit: I do hope it is strict, because otherwise the war can last forever

Edited by Maxim I

Nice to hear!

Also, a ship that is recruited, can that ship be lost?

No -- even though men might be killed, the owner of the ship still has that ship when they want to withdraw, are knocked out, or decided to leave. They just can't use that ship in the MRCA until they are no longer part of the battle.

So, everyone starts on the Prio side?

Well.... Mardier will look for some mercenaries -- and nobody said you had to stay with the side you start on. pirate_oh.gif

Am I able to sell my license and ship to another player if they're interested in +5 men?

I was going to unlicensed this vessel. :look:

Well you are the only tie to the island for Oleon, you might want to just participate one turn and recruit another and then leave.

Does ones side need a foothold on the island now in order to be able to join the fight? Does belonging to a faction matter at all, since this will likely stay limited to private operations - unless open war with Mardier is desired, or an entire faction decides to crush the Grand Duchy along with Mardier. Can one just join the battle next month? If this continues over quite some weeks, will none of the forces committed to this be able to participate in the following MCRAs, or is it possible to just opt in and out of the battle every few weeks, or until a certain deadline each month? In general: How fixed is any commitment?

Yes, lets say this is a limited play test, limited in size by the initial participants who are being rewarded for taking the special mission last month. Factions don't matter, but it might be the best way to get an invite to the island. Although, you could always attack people from your own faction if you wanted. Forces are committed by ship to the battle. Therefore if you bring two ships, and pull out with one ship, you still have one shipload of men left fighting. They could use an action to re-invite your other ship back at a later time. Once you are off the island, you need someone else to invite you back. Any forces used on the island during this battle (projected to last 3 months) cannot be used in the MRCA until they are clear of the island. At a later time there may be one more chance for people not originally committed to enter, but that is not guaranteed.

From Governor Morelli of King's Island, Mardier.

To all interested captains of the Brick Seas,

The Great Empire of Mardier is looking to commission two privateers in its war against the outlaw Alexander Prio.

In addition to the military commission on the Isle de Romantica, you will be given a letter of marque to hunt Prio's ships with another vessel (you may hand this commission off to another captain if you do not have the vessels to both fight on the island and at sea).

We are looking for volunteers with strong forces to start, and they will report to Captain L'Olius, our commander in this expedition.

You will be paid in the following manner:

Top contender will earn 3DBs for every contribution point times amount of hexes held at the end of the war.

Second contender will earn 2DBs for every contribution point times the amount of hexes held at the end of the war.

Every other contender will earn 1db per "" "" "" ""

That's an excellent initiative Ska !

Too bad I used my smallest ship on that mission...

If I understand, I cannot use my other ships to reiforce my positions.

How can I participate with only 5men ? Am I authorized to have 1 action or not ?

Are the players allied and are playing for Prio or Each player is an ennemy ? Can we make alliances ?

So the privateer of Mardier will fight together with L'Olius? Another reason why I am supporting the new duke of the island!!

So the privateer of Mardier will fight together with L'Olius? Another reason why I am supporting the new duke of the island!!

Lolius is a privateer of the governour of Terraversa, and that governour is in the same position as the duke Prio: fighting for their indipendence from Mardier. Somy guess is it's against the king of Mardier and the motherland.

I thought L'Olius was the hero of Terraversa in their fight for independence from Mardier... But perhaps he is playing the janus-game, betting on both sides?

I am getting confused! :P

That's an excellent initiative Ska !

Too bad I used my smallest ship on that mission...

If I understand, I cannot use my other ships to reiforce my positions.

How can I participate with only 5men ? Am I authorized to have 1 action or not ?

Are the players allied and are playing for Prio or Each player is an ennemy ? Can we make alliances ?

I forgot to post a very important point -- you ALWAYS get one action, even if you only have five men. So you can use a turn to recruit and bring a bigger ship, or you can allow a friend to use your men on the island already.

The players can do whatever they want. That might be a hint towards a possible third outcome.

I thought L'Olius was the hero of Terraversa in their fight for independence from Mardier... But perhaps he is playing the janus-game, betting on both sides?

I am getting confused! :P

I think it is safe to say that L'Olius likes cash and that Ska wants to use his L'Olius fig. However, nobody said that King's Island wouldn't hire the most famous Mardier privateer away from his current employer for the promise of gold and a pardon...

Color me really stupid, but I don't quite get the recruitment formula... Each ship brings its class level + 5 men per Crew level. So a 2A would bring 25 men.

2A, class 2, crew size 2... result: 25 men... default_wacko.gif I'm no math-head, though default_laugh2.gif

It just is gamewise :p

Consider it like this:

My class 2 goes to Ile De Romantica. It has some nice cargo space, but instead of bringing a lot of cargo with me, I am bringing troops with me :)

It just is gamewise :p

Consider it like this:

My class 2 goes to Ile De Romantica. It has some nice cargo space, but instead of bringing a lot of cargo with me, I am bringing troops with me :)

It doesn't answer the question, though. How is it calculated? Is it 10 x class + 5 = 25 men, or is it related to crew numbers? For instance, I might send the Otter (well, a sister ship) there. Being a 3F, she has a crew rating of 0, so how many men does that mean? 35 or 5?

It is class*10 and +5 if a warship

My Golden Star is 2F, that resulted in 20 troops

Reading it again, I think it is class x 10 + crew stat x 5.

Yes it is confusing indeed... Is there a better interest to involve warships than trade ships ? I have 2 warships licensed and ready for action, so can I use an action to recruit one of my own warship or is it forbidden ?

Reading it again, I think it is class x 10 + crew stat x 5.

But that would give a class 2A 30 troops.

Lets see what we know:

White Skull(2A): 25

Corland Supplier(1T): 20

The Novitus(2WR): 20

Alexander(2F): 20

Golden Star(2F): 20

Peregrine(1T): 10

Wight spider(1WR): 10

Small fishing boat(0): 5

La Espada(0): 5

HMS isandlwana(0) 5

The Corland Supplier or Peregrine seems off to me, besides that we'll have to wait for Ska I guess.