Erik Leppen

[MOC] Orange five-axle mobile crane, smaller version of 42009

oranje_kraan_3.jpg

This mobile crane is a smaller (and other-coloured) version of set 42009, but without all the electronics. It has all functions of 42009 (but manual), except the cylinder engine and the three-stage boom. However, it does have a jib instead, and a separate counterweight. And, it does have another really nice feature that is not in 42009! Can you guess?

• The four outriggers move simultaniously horizontally, then vertically. Same as in 42009.
  • The crane can rotate 360 degrees, but this is not driven.
  • The LAs raise the main boom.
  • The boom has one extending inner section.
  • There is also a jib that can be mounted manually using the new 5L axles with stop. The red unit that has the pulleys for the winch can be separated, and then mounted on the end of the jib using the same axles.
  • The counterweight can be put on the carrier, behind the cabin, but can also be mounted at the back of the superstructure. All it takes to do this is to remove the knob at the back of the superstructure, as this unit also holds the axles that hold the counterweight in place.
  • The main cabin has doors that can open
  • The ground clearance of the crane is a bit more than that of other sets.

No PF, all manual, like a classic Technic set.

The model is about 1900 pieces. Not many rare pieces, although some orange parts may be rare due to their color. I'm sure they're readily available in other colors though. The color scheme came about after the wish to do something with orange. I initially used blue for the wheel arches, but when starting on the boom I noticed I needed white for the curved panels. As white-orange-blue was a bit of a clash, I switched to red instead.

Also, the new black pin with pin hole is a magnificent piece and I use it everywhere, so expect to need a few of those if you decide to build this. It also has 8 of the 5x7 frames to build up the chassis. The space between the third and fourth axle (that isn't there in 42009) was needed to link the gearing for the left and right outrigger pairs.

See more on my site: Orange crane on erikleppen.nl (in Dutch).

Free PDF building instructions are also available on my website. Use the green Download bar on that page. Instructions are made using LPub.

More pictures are inside the spoiler to keep topic size in check:

oranje_kraan_1.jpg

oranje_kraan_2.jpg

oranje_kraan_4.jpg

oranje_kraan_5.jpg

oranje_kraan_6.jpg

oranje_kraan_7.jpg

oranje_kraan_8.jpg

oranje_kraan_9.jpg

I am more and more starting to appreciate the smaller highly functional builds. This one looks very very good :thumbup: :thumbup: . Would also love to see a video.

Fantastic MOC. Love how you managed to integrate most of the functions in a smaller scale

Really nice model with a great colour scheme. I like it a lot more than the plain yellow of 42009, a set which I happen to own. However, I couldn't work out what you were talking abut when you said it had another really cool function that wasn't in 42009? Can you please explain.

Cheers, Jim

Wow, This is so much Technic in so moderate size! :thumbup: :thumbup: :classic:

Extra thanks for the BI, Rebrickable it!

I'm not into crane trucks, but this looks amazing! The number of functions in such size was quite challenging I suspect.

Will it be published on Rebrickable?

An awesome moc. Will have to build it and thanks for the instructions. Ok you got me whats the extra feature?

Great work, I love that color-scheme! :wub:

Yeah, I'm quite happy with it as well. Thanks!

I am more and more starting to appreciate the smaller highly functional builds. This one looks very very good :thumbup: :thumbup: . Would also love to see a video.

A video won't be possible anymore I think. The model isn't assembled at the moment and in fact I don't have access to my LEGO right now.

But yes, I like this size as well. It's not overly demanding on parts and manageable in time, and the digital file doesn't make my computer stall ;) Those new wheels were a perfect move by TLC :D

Really nice model with a great colour scheme. I like it a lot more than the plain yellow of 42009, a set which I happen to own. However, I couldn't work out what you were talking abut when you said it had another really cool function that wasn't in 42009? Can you please explain.
Extra thanks for the BI, Rebrickable it!
Good idea that I didn't think of. Might check that out, thanks!
I'm not into crane trucks, but this looks amazing! The number of functions in such size was quite challenging I suspect.

Yeah, this is at least the second or third rebuild. Especially the steering and outriggers was a challenge. The chassis is not as rigid as I wanted, but but it's good enough and works.

What a great model. Excellent functions and the instructions look very good, too. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks :) That's another advantage of mid-sized models - it's actually doable to create the instructions. This size is about the limit before LPub acts weird on my pc.

Thanks for all the comments. Also the ones I didn't quote :)

Anyhow, about the hidden feature. Maybe you can find it in the picture showing all the gearing :)

gearing_orangecrane2016_colorcoded.png

This looks great :wink:

I really like mid-scale models with a lot of directly controlled functions packed in (and not relying on a gearbox). :classic:

Great functionality in this cute flamingo!

I dont have enough skills to fit all these into a small tight space

Sorry for bringing this topic up but I have just finished this crane and I have to say WOW! The steering is so awesome that I had to play with it for an hour. I have build it in blue/black/white colors because I don't have other colors available, making color compromises here and there. The finished model is very nice. I have also added some details like steering wheel and mirrors and I had to make some tweeking because of lack of some parts, but that is half the fun. I have question about the counterweight - I don't have any boat weights and the boom is very heavy, almost tipping the undercarrige. Is the weight of 4 boat weights enough to significantly improve the stability? And just curious - why don't you put it on rebrickable? I would miss this wonderfull creation but @Thirdwigg mentioned it as his favourite. Checking the inventory was quite a challange because some black parts are not clearly visible in your parts list. I think it is shame not to share it more widely, especially with such perfect instructions. The same is with your other truck with crane, I liked it too. Anyway, thanks again, I like your building style!

34912353416_3d6046abe8_c.jpg20170528_095030

Thanks for the nice reply, Ivan, and great to see my own model built by someone else. The blue with white and black works really nicely, good choice! I also like the little changes and additions you made. The counterweight helps a bit but doesn't balance the load completely. It can be missed, it's a feature I added as one of the last.

Also, it's good to see that the instructions "work". 'Cause I haven't test-built them myself.

Yeah, you're right I should put more of my stuff on Rebrickable. I keep forgetting that site. I will add my "instructioned" models there.

7 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Thanks for the nice reply, Ivan, and great to see my own model built by someone else. The blue with white and black works really nicely, good choice! I also like the little changes and additions you made. The counterweight helps a bit but doesn't balance the load completely. It can be missed, it's a feature I added as one of the last.

Also, it's good to see that the instructions "work". 'Cause I haven't test-built them myself.

Yeah, you're right I should put more of my stuff on Rebrickable. I keep forgetting that site. I will add my "instructioned" models there.

I think Rebrickable would be a great idea, mainly for comparing / locating parts to build. The 42009 is one of my favorite models, and your rebuild / smaller version is just great. I do plan to build your model one day. Thanks for the instructions!

Andy D