CM4Sci

5004419 Classic Knights Set

A nice glimpse into the glorious castle past. And it clearly makes me want more of the oldschool stuff :wink: I find it quite remarkable btw. that until very recently the actual helmets and weapons barely changed. That speaks for the quality of the design! :thumbup:

I wholeheartedly agree!

aIr7bvV.jpg

This is the leaflet Lego Castle community deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

...well, on a second thought, it might be that we need it right now as well! :tongue:

Edited by Sorrelon

Really the Nexo Knights figure wouldn't look so out of place if the rest of the figs hadn't seemingly been chosen not for their actual prominence or relevance in their respective themes, but for their apparent mundanity. Just look at the figs used to represent other "oddball" Castle themes like Fright Knights (a generic soldier who is almost identical to the one from 1993, rather than one of the more flamboyant characters) or Knights Kingdom II (a generic villain fig from 2006 rather than one of the "jellybean knights" who comprised the main characters of the theme). Actually, it's curious that Clay Moorington is used as the Nexo Knights representative—didn't the earliest shots we saw of this set use the slightly more "traditional" King Halbert instead?

Really the Nexo Knights figure wouldn't look so out of place if the rest of the figs hadn't seemingly been chosen not for their actual prominence or relevance in their respective themes, but for their apparent mundanity. Just look at the figs used to represent other "oddball" Castle themes like Fright Knights (a generic soldier who is almost identical to the one from 1993, rather than one of the more flamboyant characters) or Knights Kingdom II (a generic villain fig from 2006 rather than one of the "jellybean knights" who comprised the main characters of the theme). Actually, it's curious that Clay Moorington is used as the Nexo Knights representative—didn't the earliest shots we saw of this set use the slightly more "traditional" King Halbert instead?

LEGO did it just to tease x105Black

They are rubbing it in his face

But seriously, I agree with you. The selection of characters is kinda awkward

The helmet should be dark grey! Still, pretty good.

It should! But they don't have the helmet in dark bley yet (which is what it'd be, of course, rather than the old dark grey)... it really should match the halberd he's got.

Ding ding ding ding!

Huzzah!

...I think going full-on wingding with the characters (thus allowing Clay to not look too outta place) would've defeated the purpose of the set, with a basic Crusader soldier... if it'd been a Crusader Knight, they could've gone a little crazier with the lineup of choices (Cedric, Bat Lord, Dragon Master, Jellybean Knights, etc) and then Clay would fit in better, while the actual figure in the set would still make sense with such a lineup.

I guess it's nice enough and does capture the "classic castle" feel, but I preferred the Pirates set from last year where the minifig actually fitted well with the other Pirates figures released that year and the set itself had a lot of useful parts ("real" gold bar/pieces, foliage, new shark etc). The "build" in this set doesn't contain any useful parts and looks pretty ordinary and the fig is not a great match for either Nexo Knights or any recent castle themes.

I think I have a pirate set of this exclussive series. It's interesting because it includes a booklet on the best sets of this seriel. Do you know if ninja or classic samurai were issued among them? It's my most favourite series.

I think I have a pirate set of this exclussive series. It's interesting because it includes a booklet on the best sets of this seriel. Do you know if ninja or classic samurai were issued among them? It's my most favourite series.

That could be next year. So far, it's Space, Pirates, and Castle.

I'd love to see a classic ninja or classic samurai as an exclusive set, especially something like a samurai with a special horse armor/barding or a ninja with a glider like in the sets back in 1998-1999, but I'm afraid that's not going to happen. Lego released Ninja as a Castle subtheme, and since they'll make a Classic Castle exclusive set within this year, I don't see them making another Castle exclusive set right after having one this year, that is, if they'll ever make another Castle exclusive set. Only classic Lego themes that didn't get an exclusive sets are Western and City, so I think they'll make exclusive sets for them first.

By the way, I'm not sure if they released Vikings as a Castle subtheme or a separate theme, but if it actually is a separate theme, then there is a chance that we might see an exclusive Vikings set in the future.

I'd love to see a classic ninja or classic samurai as an exclusive set, especially something like a samurai with a special horse armor/barding or a ninja with a glider like in the sets back in 1998-1999, but I'm afraid that's not going to happen. Lego released Ninja as a Castle subtheme, and since they'll make a Classic Castle exclusive set within this year, I don't see them making another Castle exclusive set right after having one this year, that is, if they'll ever make another Castle exclusive set. Only classic Lego themes that didn't get an exclusive sets are Western and City, so I think they'll make exclusive sets for them first.

By the way, I'm not sure if they released Vikings as a Castle subtheme or a separate theme, but if it actually is a separate theme, then there is a chance that we might see an exclusive Vikings set in the future.

Lego doesn't actually seem to care as much about "subthemes" as fans do, and the Ninja sets were never actually branded as Castle in any official capacity to my knowledge (unlike more concrete subthemes such as those from Aquazone or earlier Castle and Space sets that had multiple interacting factions).

I would consider a classic Ninja set to be one of the most likely possibilities for next year's set, considering that not only would it tie in well with that fall's Lego Ninjago movie, but also most of the unique parts to classic Ninja figs are still in production in some capacity (whether that be the original parts or very similar-looking redesigns). Of course, it's not the only possibility... a classic Town set would also be quite feasible, and a classic Western set would also be doable even with modern parts.

Edited by Lyichir

Lego doesn't actually seem to care as much about "subthemes" as fans do, and the Ninja sets were never actually branded as Castle in any official capacity to my knowledge (unlike more concrete subthemes such as those from Aquazone or earlier Castle and Space sets that had multiple interacting factions).

I would consider a classic Ninja set to be one of the most likely possibilities for next year's set, considering that not only would it tie in well with that fall's Lego Ninjago movie, but also most of the unique parts to classic Ninja figs are still in production in some capacity (whether that be the original parts or very similar-looking redesigns). Of course, it's not the only possibility... a classic Town set would also be quite feasible, and a classic Western set would also be doable even with modern parts.

To be honest, it is kind of a disambiguation. Bricklink classified it as a separate theme, while Brickipedia and Brickset both classified it as a Castle subtheme. Then again, none of the three are official Lego sites, so we'll probably never get a solid answer. However, Ninja theme started in 1998 and continued until 2000, previous Castle subthemes have been discontinued for Ninja to start, and no other Castle theme was active until Ninja theme ended. This is what led me to think that Ninja is a subtheme of Castle and not a separate theme.

Also, I totally forgot about themes like Aquazone and Adventurers. We might see exclusive sets for them in future as well, but my bet for next year is either City or a Western exclusive set.

I look forward to a day when multiple Castle subthemes can coexist. Something historical for those fans, and something fantastical for other fans.

Sorry for my ignorance, but do I get that figure if I spend $50+ in a Lego store? A physical, real-life store, not just on an online one?

Sorry for my ignorance, but do I get that figure if I spend $50+ in a Lego store? A physical, real-life store, not just on an online one?

If past years are any indication, yep! I got my Classic Spaceman that way, I think.

You'll be able to get this if you spend $50 in a physical Lego store or the Lego online store. Generally, the physical stores sell out of them faster than the online store, though.

I hope this line will go on, and we'll get subthemes like UFO, Fright Knights or Islanders

Looks like S@H is already out of stock based on my lego.com ordering experience last night. :(

Looks like S@H is already out of stock based on my lego.com ordering experience last night. :(

Its already sold out?!?!? I'm feeling quite happy with myself for buying it on bricklink

Wow, that was fast, if it's truly sold out. I'm glad I have one coming in from an order this week. it was supposed to run until the 10th, I think.

Wow, that was fast, if it's truly sold out. I'm glad I have one coming in from an order this week. it was supposed to run until the 10th, I think.

Looks like many orders has been placed in short time

:)

I really love how it brings back a vintage set!

There's also a Nexo Knight promo for July if you had the coupon from the 2016 calendar.

AC

28049763835_4e39a7e42c_c.jpg